Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coples to OLB??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpt331 wrote:
I still feel like were gonna run more of a 4-3 base, but I think Coples could make the transition, he just needs to loose some weight and develop and outside move

OLB is recognized when you play at Tech 7 or further. No need to lose some weight to play T 7 but his long speed will be tested there.
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietjetsket wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
I can't say if Coples lost any weight, but I remember reading that he did MMA training this offseason

He is even thin for a standard 290. Can't imagine him losing any more weight. Skeleton would be his new nickname if he was successful as edge rusher.

Also, MMA training is all about power and balance. I doubt he will ever lose some weight.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Rex is making the play calls, I'm sure he will have Coples standing as a OLB for a few plays. I still remember Rex having Kris Jenkins drop back in coverage for a couple of plays. But I doubt Coples will be the OLB.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coples can and will play the role that Calvin Pace has played, where he's essentially a DE and rarely (if not never) dropped into coverage, but can play standing up to better recognize running plays and run vs pass. In addition, Coples can be used on the inside (specifically on passing downs as he was last year) to collapse the pockets.

He's still not going to be an "edge rusher" in the definition we think of. He won't be asked to attack the outside of tackles like we're accustomed to seeing in other more traditional 3-4 sets. If we want someone for that role, it's going to be Barnes or Ricky Sapp.

Here are the sets I expect from the Jets defense

3-4 set 1

LDE Wilkerson
NT Ellis
RDT Richardson

LOLB- Calvin Pace, Antwan Barnes
MLB Harris
ILB Davis
ROLB/RDE (close to line of scrimmage, not intended for coverage)- Coples, Pace

3-4 set 2

LDE Wilkerson
NT Ellis
RDE Coples, Richardson

LOLB Pace
ILB Harris
ILB Davis
ROLB Barnes, Sapp/McIntyre

4-3 Set 1

LDE Wilkerson
LDT Richardson (possibly interchangable with Wilkerson)
RDT Coples
RDE Pace/Barnes

OLB Sapp
ILB Harris
OLB Davis

And of course we will have multiple Nickel, 2-5-4 sets, Dime sets, etc feature Coples, Wilk, Richardson, Barnes/Sapp on the line.

The one true problem/hole I see is that we still don't have a true OLB that can actually play in open space (coverage or making plays outside the tackle box). That's going to continue to hurt us against mobile QBs and the RB passing game. Man I wish we had gotten Sio Moore.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate the 3-4 ! you need rare special guys in key positions that dont come around often . A huge nose guard and olbs who are big fast ,can rush the passer and drop in coverage. its not practical other than pittsburg and baltimore .
sandwhich

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie jets wrote:
i hate the 3-4 ! you need rare special guys in key positions that dont come around often . A huge nose guard and olbs who are big fast ,can rush the passer and drop in coverage. its not practical other than pittsburg and baltimore .

We've never been a true 3-4 team under Rex.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Steiny, Jets have officially moved Coples to OLB.

Coach Dunbar confirmed on Twitter team will not be moving to a 4-3, but will be a 3-4 with Coples moved OLB.

Base defense means so little though, expect to see a variety of fronts. My personal favorite will be with no down linemen - Coples, Mo, Richardson and Barnes all standing up Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
Coples can and will play the role that Calvin Pace has played, where he's essentially a DE and rarely (if not never) dropped into coverage, but can play standing up to better recognize running plays and run vs pass. In addition, Coples can be used on the inside (specifically on passing downs as he was last year) to collapse the pockets.

He's still not going to be an "edge rusher" in the definition we think of. He won't be asked to attack the outside of tackles like we're accustomed to seeing in other more traditional 3-4 sets. If we want someone for that role, it's going to be Barnes or Ricky Sapp.

Here are the sets I expect from the Jets defense

3-4 set 1

LDE Wilkerson
NT Ellis
RDT Richardson

LOLB- Calvin Pace, Antwan Barnes
MLB Harris
ILB Davis
ROLB/RDE (close to line of scrimmage, not intended for coverage)- Coples, Pace

3-4 set 2

LDE Wilkerson
NT Ellis
RDE Coples, Richardson

LOLB Pace
ILB Harris
ILB Davis
ROLB Barnes, Sapp/McIntyre

4-3 Set 1

LDE Wilkerson
LDT Richardson (possibly interchangable with Wilkerson)
RDT Coples
RDE Pace/Barnes

OLB Sapp
ILB Harris
OLB Davis

And of course we will have multiple Nickel, 2-5-4 sets, Dime sets, etc feature Coples, Wilk, Richardson, Barnes/Sapp on the line.

The one true problem/hole I see is that we still don't have a true OLB that can actually play in open space (coverage or making plays outside the tackle box). That's going to continue to hurt us against mobile QBs and the RB passing game. Man I wish we had gotten Sio Moore.

Yes nicely put. Coples will just be taking over Pace's spot where he will have his hand in the dirt for the most part anyway. But we can stand him up and move him around the field per snap. They will find ways to get him to rush the passer.

Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 64 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
rickyt31

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like the idea of coples as a OLB. Will he be able to set the edge in open space? I'm trying not to look to much into this. I'll just wait until I hear more.

I love the 3-4, we just never brought in the right talent for it IMO. We let our LB's get old, and did nothing about it until recently.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie just confirmed this.

Rich Cimini wrote:
As far back as the scouting combine in February, Rex Ryan started dropping hints about Quinton Coples becoming more of an edge player. He'll be on the edge, all right. Coples, used mostly as an interior lineman as a rookie, will be moved to 3-4 outside linebacker, according to a league source.

Ryan uses multiple fronts, so it's quite possible Coples will be deployed as a down lineman in certain situations. But the plan, for now, is to stand him up. The former first-round pick was listed at 290 pounds last season, so he will have to drop weight to play linebacker, which requires some pass-coverage responsibilities.

Barring injury, Coples will reach double digit sacks this season.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie jets wrote:

I don't think that's true really. More important is to scheme around your talent and that's regardless of whether you play 3 or 4 down lineman. Jay Ratliff played extremely well at NT for the Cowboys and he's right around 300lbs. Looking at him, people would say he projected best as a 3-4 DE or 5 tech DT.

Rex likes the 3-4 because of the blitzing angles it creates and the extra pressure it puts on an offensive line mentally.

I prefer a defense that changes fronts and the Jets will do that.

- Cliff Burton
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:

Rich Cimini wrote:
As far back as the scouting combine in February, Rex Ryan started dropping hints about Quinton Coples becoming more of an edge player. He'll be on the edge, all right. Coples, used mostly as an interior lineman as a rookie, will be moved to 3-4 outside linebacker, according to a league source.

Ryan uses multiple fronts, so it's quite possible Coples will be deployed as a down lineman in certain situations. But the plan, for now, is to stand him up. The former first-round pick was listed at 290 pounds last season, so he will have to drop weight to play linebacker, which requires some pass-coverage responsibilities.

Well I think this explains them not taking Jones at 13 (at least in my mind- lol) .... let's hope he is the answer there!!
green24

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetsFan15 wrote:
green24 wrote:

Rich Cimini wrote:

Well I think this explains them not taking Jones at 13 (at least in my mind- lol) .... let's hope he is the answer there!!

I still don't think Jones was worth the 13th pick. Not a fan of him at all.
Jetsman82

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how media people put such stock into an arbitrary change. It doesn't matter if Coples is listed as a CB or a DT, his responsibility will be the same. Just because he's listed as a LB now doesn't mean he will suddenly have pass coverage duties. He will still rush the passer, but may do it standing up every now and again.
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
green24

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muhammad Wilkerson // Kenrick Ellis // Sheldon Richardson
Quinton Coples // Demario Davis // David Harris // Antwan Barnes

Not bad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: