Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coples to OLB??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
quietjetsket


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 3854
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpt331 wrote:
I still feel like were gonna run more of a 4-3 base, but I think Coples could make the transition, he just needs to loose some weight and develop and outside move



OLB is recognized when you play at Tech 7 or further. No need to lose some weight to play T 7 but his long speed will be tested there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
quietjetsket


Joined: 20 Sep 2012
Posts: 3854
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quietjetsket wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
I can't say if Coples lost any weight, but I remember reading that he did MMA training this offseason



He is even thin for a standard 290. Can't imagine him losing any more weight. Skeleton would be his new nickname if he was successful as edge rusher.


Also, MMA training is all about power and balance. I doubt he will ever lose some weight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7751
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Rex is making the play calls, I'm sure he will have Coples standing as a OLB for a few plays. I still remember Rex having Kris Jenkins drop back in coverage for a couple of plays. But I doubt Coples will be the OLB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sandwhich


Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Posts: 8440
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coples can and will play the role that Calvin Pace has played, where he's essentially a DE and rarely (if not never) dropped into coverage, but can play standing up to better recognize running plays and run vs pass. In addition, Coples can be used on the inside (specifically on passing downs as he was last year) to collapse the pockets.

He's still not going to be an "edge rusher" in the definition we think of. He won't be asked to attack the outside of tackles like we're accustomed to seeing in other more traditional 3-4 sets. If we want someone for that role, it's going to be Barnes or Ricky Sapp.

Here are the sets I expect from the Jets defense

3-4 set 1

LDE Wilkerson
NT Ellis
RDT Richardson

LOLB- Calvin Pace, Antwan Barnes
MLB Harris
ILB Davis
ROLB/RDE (close to line of scrimmage, not intended for coverage)- Coples, Pace

3-4 set 2

LDE Wilkerson
NT Ellis
RDE Coples, Richardson

LOLB Pace
ILB Harris
ILB Davis
ROLB Barnes, Sapp/McIntyre

4-3 Set 1

LDE Wilkerson
LDT Richardson (possibly interchangable with Wilkerson)
RDT Coples
RDE Pace/Barnes

OLB Sapp
ILB Harris
OLB Davis

And of course we will have multiple Nickel, 2-5-4 sets, Dime sets, etc feature Coples, Wilk, Richardson, Barnes/Sapp on the line.

The one true problem/hole I see is that we still don't have a true OLB that can actually play in open space (coverage or making plays outside the tackle box). That's going to continue to hurt us against mobile QBs and the RB passing game. Man I wish we had gotten Sio Moore.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
richie jets


Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 852
Location: yonkers
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate the 3-4 ! you need rare special guys in key positions that dont come around often . A huge nose guard and olbs who are big fast ,can rush the passer and drop in coverage. its not practical other than pittsburg and baltimore .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sandwhich


Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Posts: 8440
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie jets wrote:
i hate the 3-4 ! you need rare special guys in key positions that dont come around often . A huge nose guard and olbs who are big fast ,can rush the passer and drop in coverage. its not practical other than pittsburg and baltimore .


We've never been a true 3-4 team under Rex.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikejets22


Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 670
Location: Putnam
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Steiny, Jets have officially moved Coples to OLB.

Coach Dunbar confirmed on Twitter team will not be moving to a 4-3, but will be a 3-4 with Coples moved OLB.

Base defense means so little though, expect to see a variety of fronts. My personal favorite will be with no down linemen - Coples, Mo, Richardson and Barnes all standing up Very Happy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetsfandan423


Moderator
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Posts: 16651
Location: Greensboro, NC
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandwhich wrote:
Coples can and will play the role that Calvin Pace has played, where he's essentially a DE and rarely (if not never) dropped into coverage, but can play standing up to better recognize running plays and run vs pass. In addition, Coples can be used on the inside (specifically on passing downs as he was last year) to collapse the pockets.

He's still not going to be an "edge rusher" in the definition we think of. He won't be asked to attack the outside of tackles like we're accustomed to seeing in other more traditional 3-4 sets. If we want someone for that role, it's going to be Barnes or Ricky Sapp.

Here are the sets I expect from the Jets defense

3-4 set 1

LDE Wilkerson
NT Ellis
RDT Richardson

LOLB- Calvin Pace, Antwan Barnes
MLB Harris
ILB Davis
ROLB/RDE (close to line of scrimmage, not intended for coverage)- Coples, Pace

3-4 set 2

LDE Wilkerson
NT Ellis
RDE Coples, Richardson

LOLB Pace
ILB Harris
ILB Davis
ROLB Barnes, Sapp/McIntyre

4-3 Set 1

LDE Wilkerson
LDT Richardson (possibly interchangable with Wilkerson)
RDT Coples
RDE Pace/Barnes

OLB Sapp
ILB Harris
OLB Davis

And of course we will have multiple Nickel, 2-5-4 sets, Dime sets, etc feature Coples, Wilk, Richardson, Barnes/Sapp on the line.

The one true problem/hole I see is that we still don't have a true OLB that can actually play in open space (coverage or making plays outside the tackle box). That's going to continue to hurt us against mobile QBs and the RB passing game. Man I wish we had gotten Sio Moore.



Yes nicely put. Coples will just be taking over Pace's spot where he will have his hand in the dirt for the most part anyway. But we can stand him up and move him around the field per snap. They will find ways to get him to rush the passer.
_________________


Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCKL: 64 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7751
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like the idea of coples as a OLB. Will he be able to set the edge in open space? I'm trying not to look to much into this. I'll just wait until I hear more.


I love the 3-4, we just never brought in the right talent for it IMO. We let our LB's get old, and did nothing about it until recently.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie just confirmed this.

Rich Cimini wrote:
As far back as the scouting combine in February, Rex Ryan started dropping hints about Quinton Coples becoming more of an edge player. He'll be on the edge, all right. Coples, used mostly as an interior lineman as a rookie, will be moved to 3-4 outside linebacker, according to a league source.

Ryan uses multiple fronts, so it's quite possible Coples will be deployed as a down lineman in certain situations. But the plan, for now, is to stand him up. The former first-round pick was listed at 290 pounds last season, so he will have to drop weight to play linebacker, which requires some pass-coverage responsibilities.


Barring injury, Coples will reach double digit sacks this season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Raoul Duke


Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 3179
Location: Upstate NY
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie jets wrote:
i hate the 3-4 ! you need rare special guys in key positions that dont come around often . A huge nose guard and olbs who are big fast ,can rush the passer and drop in coverage. its not practical other than pittsburg and baltimore .


I don't think that's true really. More important is to scheme around your talent and that's regardless of whether you play 3 or 4 down lineman. Jay Ratliff played extremely well at NT for the Cowboys and he's right around 300lbs. Looking at him, people would say he projected best as a 3-4 DE or 5 tech DT.

Rex likes the 3-4 because of the blitzing angles it creates and the extra pressure it puts on an offensive line mentally.

I prefer a defense that changes fronts and the Jets will do that.
_________________
“You don’t burn out from going too fast. You burn out from going too slow and getting bored.”

- Cliff Burton
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JetsFan15


Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 705
Location: Dutchess County, NY
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Debbie just confirmed this.

Rich Cimini wrote:
As far back as the scouting combine in February, Rex Ryan started dropping hints about Quinton Coples becoming more of an edge player. He'll be on the edge, all right. Coples, used mostly as an interior lineman as a rookie, will be moved to 3-4 outside linebacker, according to a league source.

Ryan uses multiple fronts, so it's quite possible Coples will be deployed as a down lineman in certain situations. But the plan, for now, is to stand him up. The former first-round pick was listed at 290 pounds last season, so he will have to drop weight to play linebacker, which requires some pass-coverage responsibilities.


Barring injury, Coples will reach double digit sacks this season.


Well I think this explains them not taking Jones at 13 (at least in my mind- lol) .... let's hope he is the answer there!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetsFan15 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Debbie just confirmed this.

Rich Cimini wrote:
As far back as the scouting combine in February, Rex Ryan started dropping hints about Quinton Coples becoming more of an edge player. He'll be on the edge, all right. Coples, used mostly as an interior lineman as a rookie, will be moved to 3-4 outside linebacker, according to a league source.

Ryan uses multiple fronts, so it's quite possible Coples will be deployed as a down lineman in certain situations. But the plan, for now, is to stand him up. The former first-round pick was listed at 290 pounds last season, so he will have to drop weight to play linebacker, which requires some pass-coverage responsibilities.


Barring injury, Coples will reach double digit sacks this season.


Well I think this explains them not taking Jones at 13 (at least in my mind- lol) .... let's hope he is the answer there!!

I still don't think Jones was worth the 13th pick. Not a fan of him at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetsman82


Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 19995
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how media people put such stock into an arbitrary change. It doesn't matter if Coples is listed as a CB or a DT, his responsibility will be the same. Just because he's listed as a LB now doesn't mean he will suddenly have pass coverage duties. He will still rush the passer, but may do it standing up every now and again.
_________________
quietjetsket wrote:
It has been quite a privileged chat or work with you guys. From time to time.. From Craziness to Serious-mindedness.. From Troll to Boredom.. From Babes to Jets. From Foreigner to American.. Whatever!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
green24


Joined: 10 Apr 2010
Posts: 47651
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muhammad Wilkerson // Kenrick Ellis // Sheldon Richardson
Quinton Coples // Demario Davis // David Harris // Antwan Barnes

Not bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group