Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coples to OLB??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Coples to OLB?? Reply with quote

Rex mentioned this on Tuesday's conference call with fans (see link below, last paragraph of the column).

I was screaming and begging for the Jets to get an edge rusher from the OLB position in the draft this year. I was upset we passed on Jones at 13. We did not get Collins in the 2nd nor did we even take a chance on any of the other guys late in the draft as flyers.

Could it have been because after getting Richardson we decided to move Coples to that position? Rex's words suggest that ... what do you all think?

Perhaps our Base D in 2013
DL: Mo, Ellis, Richardson
LBs: Barnes, Davis, Harris, Coples
DB: Milner, Miles Shocked, Landry, Cro

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2013/04/rex_ryan_john_idzik_spend_day.html
green24

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that means we will play a lot of 4-3 with Coples lined up as a DE in that formation.
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
I think that means we will play a lot of 4-3 with Coples lined up as a DE in that formation.

Perhaps, but it does remind us that Rex worked Coples out at OLB prior to last year draft.
rampantjet

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would absolutely love it. He is a smooth enough athlete to do it, and I also don't think he would be dropping back in coverage very much, and even if he did it would be just zone. He ran 2 tenths faster than Jarvis Jones and that was at 290, if he can cut to around 275-280 it would only make him faster. His 40 was very close to Aldon Smiths while weighing around 35lbs more. Put him on the same side as Wilk and you have to deal with both of those animals coming from the same side, running stunts all day because he has inside moves too.

He would be one of the most powerful OLBers in the league. I would see him getting around 7-10 sacks from 3-4 DE this year, but from OLB he would be a 10+ guy. Some plays OLbers get matched up on TE's or RB's..... GL with that match up lol.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd be listed as a "LB" for depth chart purposed, but Coples would clearly have his hand in the dirt rushing the passer. Think of Suggs in Baltimore's "3-4"... essentially it's a 4-3/5-2.

New York Sack Exchange Redux
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll mix it up the best thing is no one knows what defense we're running which means we'll be unpredictable and attacking

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
rampantjet

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly Sheldon Richardson could rush from the standing OLB spot on obvious passing downs too. There is really no end to what we could do.

I also think the lost guy in all of these conversations about the pass rush is Barnes. We added a guy who has had double digit sacks in the NFL before, and who ran a 4.43 at the combine which is absurd. I think Rex will send this guy almost every time he is out there and give him the oportunity to suceed. Consider this Maybin got 6 sacks in the same role under Rex and he had less power than Barnes and his 40 was 4 tenths slower. I just feel like we are really under rating what Barnes can do for us. The idea of him and Coples on the outsides with the studs we already have on the line we have a nasty front 7.
Davey

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coples could stand up and play some OLB, and he will. But he couldn't make the actual transition to a full time player there and really shouldn't be asked to do so either.

They've got a plan for Richardson. They clearly like a lot of things about him, and his athleticism and versatility that comes with it is chief among those traits. It's insulting to Rex Ryan's defensive intelligence to think he's going to try to play Richardson as a two-gap space eater, which means if you want to play all of Coples/Richardson/Wilkerson at the same time you're going to have to mix up some alignments. But that's fine, and really not the end of the world. Rex Ryan built a league leading defense around a corner... he can do it with a number of talented, versatile linemen.

Let's not compromise any of our talented players to fit in other ones if we don't have to.
mikejets22

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
He'd be listed as a "LB" for depth chart purposed, but Coples would clearly have his hand in the dirt rushing the passer. Think of Suggs in Baltimore's "3-4"... essentially it's a 4-3/5-2.

I see Richardson in more of the Suggs type role than Coples, to be honest. I think we get extremely versatile with how he is used.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikejets22 wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:

I see Richardson in more of the Suggs type role than Coples, to be honest. I think we get extremely versatile with how he is used.

no way Richardson might be moved around more like Ngata while Coples will be more of the Suggs

Now Richardson isn't as big as Ngata but he's more versatile and a match up problem

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
jpt331

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still feel like were gonna run more of a 4-3 base, but I think Coples could make the transition, he just needs to loose some weight and develop and outside move

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The versatility we have with our line/front 7 is scary. Whether we call it a 3/4, 4/3, 4/6 or whatever ... no doubt we have guys in Mo, Coples, Richardson, Barnes, Davis and perhaps Sapp that have quickness and can come from different spots.

IMO the best way to beat NE is getting pressure from your front 4 without blitzing .... I like how our chances are with a line of Barnes, Mo, Richardson and Coples ....
JetFanSince85

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetsFan15 wrote:
The versatility we have with our line/front 7 is scary. Whether we call it a 3/4, 4/3, 4/6 or whatever ... no doubt we have guys in Mo, Coples, Richardson, Barnes, Davis and perhaps Sapp that have quickness and can come from different spots.

IMO the best way to beat NE is getting pressure from your front 4 without blitzing .... I like how our chances are with a line of Barnes, Mo, Richardson and Coples ....

Getting pressure up the middle is the key to beating any pocket passer.

Look at it now.

You can have Richardson and Coples over the guards and Mo and Barnes off the edge.

Coples did his best work rushing on the inside. That is where he is best suited to rush the passer, not from the outside.

Strength in the lines. We have a young D-Line and we have added youth to the O-Line. We might not have Revis anymore, but I also think now we will not need to cover forever.

Rex has pleanty to work with now even with the departure of Revis.

I want to the D to be like it was 3 years ago.

Give me that and the idiots on NFL network, ESPN can stick it up their rear.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say if Coples lost any weight, but I remember reading that he did MMA training this offseason

New York Sack Exchange Redux
quietjetsket

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
I can't say if Coples lost any weight, but I remember reading that he did MMA training this offseason

He is even thin for a standard 290. Can't imagine him losing any more weight. Skeleton would be his new nickname if he was successful as edge rusher.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: