Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

brian waters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rivers

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: brian waters Reply with quote

released by pats, will steelers consider him?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want we need...a 36 year old player who is a shell of his former self.

CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 36 year old who doesn't want to play up north, wants a good deal of money, and also wants to skip camp. I'm surprised the Pats put up with him.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's still a good guard, but he's full of himself. He thinks he's still in his prime. If he was someone at an impact position, he could get away with it. Someone who is a guard isn't going to get that luxury...
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He offers us nothing we want.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
3rivers

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking quality depth (possibly starter if Foster gets hurt or fails), but sounds like waters won't be here. If he still thinks he is a pro bowler and expects the pay, then it won't happen. In recent years ( for "some" reason) we have always had way too many injuries on the OL, so depth is something to consider.

Gilbert as the back up versatile OL (OG or OT since I don't think he can start at OT) would be good, then get another OT ( starks or Erik winston). Cap space could still be a problem Question
Chieferific

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first draft in 10 years an OL wasn't taken. They have a bunch of young guys they're happy with. Not to mention Beachum whom they seem really excited about for some reason. I don't see them adding anyone.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we are trying to get younger on the o-line and he doesn't help us with that.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Waters isn't a fit here. Both due to the current roster and the cap issues.

One thing I don't get tho is why every time an older player is suggested as a depth signing folks seem to get so excited (in a negative way) by their age.

If there were young talented players to be had instead of vets...sure go get the young guys. There obviously aren't tho, so in terms of the FA market right now it's old guys, injured guys, and guys that suck. Of what's available I'll take a little age over the other options.

I don't think anyone, even 3rivers, is suggesting we hook a vet up with a 3+ year deal and view them as an integral piece of the future roster. Hypothetically signing a guy like Waters or Spikes...maybe even Dansby fits here, is suggested as just a depth move and then maybe only on a 1 to 2 year deal. There are very valid reason not to sign these guys, I just don't think age is one.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the talk about Gilbert to guard. He's 6'6, 330. He doesn't move all that well. He would be another lumbering guard, the type they are trying to phase out. He is a T.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
I agree Waters isn't a fit here. Both due to the current roster and the cap issues.

One thing I don't get tho is why every time an older player is suggested as a depth signing folks seem to get so excited (in a negative way) by their age.

If there were young talented players to be had instead of vets...sure go get the young guys. There obviously aren't tho, so in terms of the FA market right now it's old guys, injured guys, and guys that suck. Of what's available I'll take a little age over the other options.

I don't think anyone, even 3rivers, is suggesting we hook a vet up with a 3+ year deal and view them as an integral piece of the future roster. Hypothetically signing a guy like Waters or Spikes...maybe even Dansby fits here, is suggested as just a depth move and then maybe only on a 1 to 2 year deal. There are very valid reason not to sign these guys, I just don't think age is one.

Waters really offers nothing.

I didnt mind signing Plax last year, and I dont have a problem with older players depending what they bring.

In Waters case, he brings age and mediocre play. Before we sign Waters, Id rather go back out there and try to get Starks, who can help us at a bigger position of need. Beyond that, Id rather get a young guy who may not be as good as Waters but can potentially get better, while Waters will be retiring in the next 2 years.

If we bring him in to compete at vet minimum, I wouldnt complain too much, but at this point in his career he shouldnt be guarnateed a roster spot just because of what he USED to be, and thats what scares me the most. These teams fascination of aging vets. Resigning our own is one thing...but a 36 year old guard who offers very little and pretty much just wastes a roster spot for a year? Cant get on board with that.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
I don't understand the talk about Gilbert to guard. He's 6'6, 330. He doesn't move all that well. He would be another lumbering guard, the type they are trying to phase out. He is a T.

Wait....so a lumbering guy with poor balance and footwork doesnt fit at guard, but that makes him a fit at tackle?

He plays better in a phone booth. His shortcomings are much more likely to get him into trouble at OT than at OG. He gets beat constantly off the edge against the more athletic pass rushers because of how poorly he moves.

I personally dont think he would be much better at OG...same feeling I had about Colon....but Id definitely rather see him at OG than at OT.
3rivers

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:

The way he played last year he is not a T, or at least a starting T. If he plays like that this year, I am thinking possibly OG, but maybe he is another player without a position ala colon? If gilbert doesn't rebound, he better be gone next year or a back up at best.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
If gilbert doesn't rebound, he better be gone next year or a back up at best.

i am interested to see if he reports to camp in shape or as a chubby. Pouncey took him to task his rookie season, and the steelers have shown they don't mind showing Pouncey's buddies the door, so to speak.

Gilbert needs to go back to his rookie season and figure out what motivated him because he was pretty good as a rookie but really overmatched as a 2nd year guy
grubs10

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popie70 wrote:
Yeah we are trying to get younger on the o-line and he doesn't help us with that.

Sweet new sig man.

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: