Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason News, Notes, Rumors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
game3525

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think the coaching staff knows Dunlap is the better option.....this seems like coach speech.
game3525

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
I really hope this isn't true, and they're only saying it so that Starks doesn't get his feelings hurt. There was no question who the better player was.

PFF liked Starks, apparently

Quote:
Dunlap started the game, played 12 snaps, and graded +0.6 overall. Starks received a +1.2 grade, but on 28 snaps, meaning the two were pretty much even on a per snap basis. However, the key positive is that neither player allowed any pressure in a combined 22 pass blocking snaps.

I'm surprised that Starks got a positive grade for the game.
[/quote]

This is why sometimes you have to take advance stats with a grain of salt. Starks look awful in that game, I know Charlie didn't help him out some.....but still.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth a read

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/aug/10/dj-fluker-chargers-hurricane-katrina-tornado/

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
kramxel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Neutral wrote:
MrDrew wrote:
I really hope this isn't true, and they're only saying it so that Starks doesn't get his feelings hurt. There was no question who the better player was.

PFF liked Starks, apparently

Quote:
Dunlap started the game, played 12 snaps, and graded +0.6 overall. Starks received a +1.2 grade, but on 28 snaps, meaning the two were pretty much even on a per snap basis. However, the key positive is that neither player allowed any pressure in a combined 22 pass blocking snaps.

I'm surprised that Starks got a positive grade for the game.

This is why sometimes you have to take advance stats with a grain of salt. Starks look awful in that game, I know Charlie didn't help him out some.....but still.

I'm 'pretty sure Starks allowed 1 or 2 pressures, one of them being an inside slant, that he totally blew.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Zappaz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd was carted off the practice field today at TC

"@UTkrasovic Players surround Floyd in prayer as trainers examine him. Very quiet. #Chargers"

"@UTgehlken
Malcom Floyd carted off Chargers practice field. Looks like right knee."

It was another hit from Wright.

We really don't need Floyd to go down, hopefully its minor but it doesn't sound like it.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:
Floyd was carted off the practice field today at TC

"@UTkrasovic Players surround Floyd in prayer as trainers examine him. Very quiet. #Chargers"

"@UTgehlken
Malcom Floyd carted off Chargers practice field. Looks like right knee."

It was another hit from Wright.

We really don't need Floyd to go down, hopefully its minor but it doesn't sound like it.

Queue Steve Carrell "Nooooo!" gif.

Also, at this rate we just need to line Wright up on the opposing team's best WR and hope history repeats itself.

Slim pickings available for WR signings out there... I want no part of Brandon Lloyd. Mike Sims-Walker or Laurent Robinson?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the team may roll with what they have, none of the receivers on the market excite me what so ever.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Beat writer Michael Gehlken witnessed the injury, and said it "does not look good." Floyd was down on the ground for several minutes, and many of his Chargers teammates gathered around him in prayer. It would be a huge loss for the Chargers who have already lost Danario Alexander for the season to a torn right ACL. Robert Meachem and rookie Keenan Allen may be forced into action this season. We should know more about Floyd's knee Monday evening.

Meachem and Allen as the starters? No good, even with Gates in the lineup.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
game3525

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is little chance Meachem starts, it will be Brown and Allen on the outside with Royal in the slot.
kramxel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our season is looking longer and longer by the minute......

Hope it's nothing serious with Floyd.

I could see Laurent returning.

Meach is getting every opportunity possible... he might have just got a free pass for the rest of pre-season but it really is the "take it or leave it" kind..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any receivers out there outside of Lloyd that have worked with McCoy?

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Meachem actually a lock to make the roster?

I know that we've (maybe not everyone) been assuming that Meachem has to stick around because of his cap hit. But, it might be different now that it's after June 1st. His salary is guaranteed and there is this year's portion of his salary bonus that counts against the cap. That doesn't change if he's cut, meaning that the only new costs would be paying the person who would take his roster spot.

Think about it like it's baseball. If you're choosing between a player that you project to have negative WAR or a replacement-level player, it makes sense to take a chance on the latter. I don't know if Meachem is analogous to a negative WAR player. However, it doesn't look promising that he wasn't practicing with the 1's with Floyd injured and that he looked just as bad as ever in the first preseason game. I wouldn't be surprised if the team would rather keep Mike Willie around instead, which would also free up a spot on the practice squad.

The LBC wrote:
Slim pickings available for WR signings out there... I want no part of Brandon Lloyd. Mike Sims-Walker or Laurent Robinson?

Nobody's signed Ajirotutu
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:

I know that we've (maybe not everyone) been assuming that Meachem has to stick around because of his cap hit. But, it might be different now that it's after June 1st. His salary is guaranteed and there is this year's portion of his salary bonus that counts against the cap. That doesn't change if he's cut, meaning that the only new costs would be paying the person who would take his roster spot.

Think about it like it's baseball. If you're choosing between a player that you project to have negative WAR or a replacement-level player, it makes sense to take a chance on the latter. I don't know if Meachem is analogous to a negative WAR player. However, it doesn't look promising that he wasn't practicing with the 1's with Floyd injured and that he looked just as bad as ever in the first preseason game. I wouldn't be surprised if the team would rather keep Mike Willie around instead, which would also free up a spot on the practice squad.

The LBC wrote:

Strictly on a wide receiver level. I'd rather keep Goodman then Meachem at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:

The LBC wrote:

I would say so, the 10 million dollar cap hit is something I don't see Dean willing to take. He sucks, but he isn't a bad teammate or cancer in the locker-room like Gaither whom they had no choice but to cut.
Neutral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
I would say so, the 10 million dollar cap hit is something I don't see Dean willing to take. He sucks, but he isn't a bad teammate or cancer in the locker-room like Gaither whom they had no choice but to cut.

It's not a 10 million dollar cap hit, though.

Because it's after June 1st, the signing bonus money from future years hits in 2014 instead of 2013, so the breakdown would like:

2013: $6.875M (salary + 2013-only signing bonus portion)
2014: $3.75M (2014 and 2015 signing bonus portions)

That's the same way it unfolds if he's on the roster this year and cut next offseason. The only difference is that it would cost them to add another player to the roster, probably one of Willie/DePalma/Tasker making the minimum salary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: