Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason News, Notes, Rumors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
ESPN's Matt Williamson believes the Chargers have "the worst left tackle situation in the NFL."
Williamson is former scout for the Browns. Here's his take on King Dunlap, who is currently penciled in as the Chargers' starter: "He has great size, but he is heavy-footed and can really struggle to play low enough due to his extreme height. At best, he is a right tackle athlete and not suited to playing on the left side." The Chargers also lost their top guard, Louis Vasquez, in free agency. We're not sure how Philip Rivers sleeps at night.

Ouch...

Places have a lot of differing views on Dunlap since the Eagles were so bad at pass protection. JD'A is in love with this guy and while I do disagree with PFF and their stats a good amount of the times, they didn't seem to think he was dreaful at all.

Lost Courtney Gardner for now. Don't know if the personal matter means he's never going to come or if he's going to actually sign after or whatever.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:
Curious to see how Clary does at guard though.

Just as bad as at RT. He's slow out of his stance, and he can't pull without falling. A guard that can't pull is useless.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clary and useless in the same sentence is the definition of redundant.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Free agent OT Max Starks is visiting the Chargers on Wednesday.
The Union-Tribune San Diego reported on Monday the Chargers "(hadn't) reached out" to Starks, but a cursory call was long overdue from a team with a massive need at left tackle. A 16-game starter for the Steelers last season, Starks allowed a whopping 40 hurries, but would still likely be a better bet than King Dunlap or Kevin Haslam. San Diego is Starks' first visit of free agency.

Rotoworld wrote:
Free agent OT Max Starks says he has had a "couple of conversations" with a "few organizations," and he hopes to have a deal done by OTAs.
Most OTAs start in roughly two weeks, although teams with new head coaches start a week earlier. Starks is visiting the Chargers on Wednesday, and the 31-year-old says he hasn't ruled out a return to the AFC North. There aren't any openings for starting tackle jobs in the division. San Diego is his best shot for a starting gig, and beat writer Michael Gehlken doubts he "gets away."

Desperation is a horrible thing.

JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we pay him under 2.5 million there's nothing wrong with signing him...

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
kramxel

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starks is HORRIBLE.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramxel wrote:
Starks is HORRIBLE.

Except that he's really not. If you're putting him at RT, yeah, you're probably going to find him lacking, but at LT, Starks has had quite a bit of success with Pittsburgh, while he has given up some sacks and several hurries, most of the sacks on Ben have come from the way of Gilbert and the lacking interior positions.

The issue however with him is that:

A) He did struggle last season

&

B) He is an older OT that, it's probably fair to say, is on the downward slope of his career.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles Woodson still available. Would make a great stop gap safety option considering our projected starting SS is still hurt. If the price is right i'd take a shot. He seems like he's getting desperate to find a team.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wilkieray wrote:
Charles Woodson still available. Would make a great stop gap safety option considering our projected starting SS is still hurt. If the price is right i'd take a shot. He seems like he's getting desperate to find a team.

Just an outsiders view, I could see this happening. Frankly, I don't think it'd be a bad idea either, he'd definitely bring Veteran Leadership to the lockerroom and the field.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I don't think Starks is that great of an option. It's a one year rental just like Dunlap. They both have health concerns and are really more average players even when healthy. I don't know if either of them can realistically beat out Harris or Dombrowski for the job. We just don't have a decent starter this year at LT. Boohoo. Lets see how McCoy adjusts, it is the point everyone has lauded about him.

I'd rather give the roster spot to a young rookie with developmental potential then fill our roster with over the hill players of mediocre to average talent.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
At this point I don't think Starks is that great of an option. It's a one year rental just like Dunlap. They both have health concerns and are really more average players even when healthy. I don't know if either of them can realistically beat out Harris or Dombrowski for the job. We just don't have a decent starter this year at LT. Boohoo. Lets see how McCoy adjusts, it is the point everyone has lauded about him.

I'd rather give the roster spot to a young rookie with developmental potential then fill our roster with over the hill players of mediocre to average talent.

We're not getting anything more than a stop gap so why does it matter. I don't care if he's not that great, anything is better than what Rivers had. The young rookie doesn't matter if your most important player is getting pummeled.

#JDI
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

We're not getting anything more than a stop gap so why does it matter. I don't care if he's not that great, anything is better than what Rivers had. The young rookie doesn't matter if your most important player is getting pummeled.

I don't see Starks as an upgrade over Dunlap/Harris/Dombrowski. Dunlap, well the money is spent. Dom can provide depth at several places on the line and Harris is still young enough to where he may develop into a quality depth guy. Starks is just a stop gap LT. We have Dunlap. There is no gain and that roster spot is needed.

That roster spot is better spent on a corner or a pass rusher or at the very least an offensive linemen with something more to offer then Starks. We have a rental, why rent another? Keep his number on file for when Dunlap gets hurt.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
Free agent RT Winston Justice is visiting the Chargers on Monday.
San Diego's interest is curious because Justice is primarily a right tackle, and the club used the 11th overall pick on RT D.J. Fluker. Justice has played some guard before, and the Chargers are needy inside, as well. Their most glaring deficiency remains left tackle. Perhaps Fluker will get a shot there.

I wonder if Fluker at LT was really the plan all along?

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers have formally converted Marcus Gilchrist to strong safety.
Gilchrist (5'10/193) is smallish for a strong safety, but he's always been a solid tackler and adds coverage skills to San Diego's backend. Strong safety has been a weak spot in the Chargers' defense since Rodney Harrison left in 2003. Gilchrist will be a major IDP sleeper should he hold off 2012 third-rounder Brandon Taylor. Taylor is a long shot coming off of a torn ACL.

He played Safety in college, so hopefully it's a smooth transition.

Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
Free agent RT Winston Justice is visiting the Chargers on Monday.
San Diego's interest is curious because Justice is primarily a right tackle, and the club used the 11th overall pick on RT D.J. Fluker. Justice has played some guard before, and the Chargers are needy inside, as well. Their most glaring deficiency remains left tackle. Perhaps Fluker will get a shot there.

I wonder if Fluker at LT was really the plan all along?

Rotoworld wrote:
The Chargers have formally converted Marcus Gilchrist to strong safety.
Gilchrist (5'10/193) is smallish for a strong safety, but he's always been a solid tackler and adds coverage skills to San Diego's backend. Strong safety has been a weak spot in the Chargers' defense since Rodney Harrison left in 2003. Gilchrist will be a major IDP sleeper should he hold off 2012 third-rounder Brandon Taylor. Taylor is a long shot coming off of a torn ACL.

He played Safety in college, so hopefully it's a smooth transition.

I think Dunlap is the plan at LT, Dunlap is better just in general than Justice. So according to the tweets this is how our OL and D look...

Defense:
DE: Liuget
NT: Cam Thomas
DE: Reyes
WOLB: Ingram
WILB: Butler
SILB: Te'o
SOLB: Johnson
CB: Cox
SS: Gilchrist
FS: Weddle
CB: Wright
Nickel CB: Gilchrist (Stuckey in at SS for Gilchrist)

OL:
LT: Dunlap
LG: Rinehart
C: Hardwick
RG: Clary
RT: Fluker

Rammy da best sigmaker of all time!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet "SS" is an arbitrary title. Lynch played a lot of "SS" and he wasn't like a traditional SS at all. I expect Weddle to play up a lot more than Gilchrist in most games.

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: