Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason News, Notes, Rumors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Offseason News, Notes, Rumors Reply with quote

Not all news is breaking, or deserves its own thread. Throw that news in here.

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers GM Tom Telesco confirms he reached out to retired RB LaDainian Tomlinson.
"You couldn't help but think about it," Telesco said. Going on 34, Tomlinson had no interest in un-retiring. It says a lot about would-be "running back of the future" Ryan Mathews that San Diego's new braintrust is reaching out to the Chargers' running back of the past.

After this, and the draft, I'm beginning to question this guy.

Rotoworld wrote:
Chargers GM Tom Telesco confirms he's "exploring" signing free agent LT Bryant McKinnie.
The Bolts are left with just King Dunlap and Mike Harris on the blindside after jettisoning Jared Gaither, and would be a strong match for McKinnie if the price is right. After the Gaither debacle, however, they'd certainly want to be positive that McKinnie is serious about staying in shape going into his age-34 season.

sanitizer also put this in the draft thread.

McKinnie is 34, with conditioning problems. He did play well in the playoffs, but will he really hold up for another season? Would he be enough of an improvement over Dunlap to justify the salary?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not happy about the LT thing, but I'm not about to kill TT over trying to find options..... clearly Mathews is not well liked however.....

TT is getting too much flak right now. I don't agree with all his decisions so far regarding Fluker, Te'o, whatever but we're digging at a guy before our coaches get a hand on these players. What happens if JD'A turns Fluker into a monster, waht if this, what if that...... you can't judge an offseason until you see the product on the field.....

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think approaching LT was a bad idea at all. He would put fans in the seats even at 34. He could take R. Browns spot and also be more servicable to spell Mathews. R. Brown played well for us last year but I believe LT could have done the same and it would have somewhat repaired the riff between San Diego and LT. LT would be able to actually retire a Charger not just sign for a few days to retire. I'm not disappointed in the draft either. I didn't think our first pick had the value but it filled a major need and after that the value was good. We could have got a very good ILB if we hadn't traded up but I'm not disappointed in how it turned out at all. Especially since it looks like we did alright post draft also.
nevetslc

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 2h

Told Bryant McKinnie is amidst a "very good" visit. Having dinner with Chargers tonight. Two sides have yet to talk numbers.

https://twitter.com/UTGehlken

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what would be a good deal for McKinnie to stay....

If we invest too much, with the risk of him being Gaither 2.0, it's bad.... if we go in too low, he'll probably end elsewhere....

Regardless, I'm glad this year we'll have a plan B with Dunlap.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we haven't discussed numbers with McKinnie yet then it's little more than a free dinner. And in a way, given our current cap situation, I'd almost rather we not sign him than sign him to multi-year contract (since if he signs on for more than one year he'll likely command some sort of guarantee I wouldn't like).

The LT thing... well, I look at it almost in the same light as I do someone suggesting we ought to kick the tires on Tebow. LT would put butts in the stands, but also, LT would kick Mathews in the butt. Much of an ego as LaDainian possesses he's also rather opinionated (and a year as a member of the media isn't going to do anything to suppress that); so if Mathews continues to spend his down time partying it up in Gaslamp and the Mission District, LT's going to give him a piece of his mind and likely out him to the mainstream media - if for no other reason than to potentially increase his own touches and stature. Where I brought up Tebow it was mostly in that, bringing the circus that is Tim Tebow here would actually draw media attention away from Te'o which would do the kid good. At this point I'd be willing to suffer through the media jocking Tebow if it meant giving us a better chance to maximize the return (on the field and psychologically) out of our combined 2nd and 4th round picks. That said, Tebow won't come here because Rivers is the entrenched starter at QB.

Also, I'm hearing tell we're candidates for getting Hard Knocks this year (with Te'o on the roster, it shouldn't be surprise). Brace yourselves, boys. We're about to become the subject of a ton more of unearned hate.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
GM Tom Telesco said the Chargers are not interested in free agent Tim Tebow.

Sweet

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
If we haven't discussed numbers with McKinnie yet then it's little more than a free dinner. And in a way, given our current cap situation, I'd almost rather we not sign him than sign him to multi-year contract (since if he signs on for more than one year he'll likely command some sort of guarantee I wouldn't like).

The LT thing... well, I look at it almost in the same light as I do someone suggesting we ought to kick the tires on Tebow. LT would put butts in the stands, but also, LT would kick Mathews in the butt. Much of an ego as LaDainian possesses he's also rather opinionated (and a year as a member of the media isn't going to do anything to suppress that); so if Mathews continues to spend his down time partying it up in Gaslamp and the Mission District, LT's going to give him a piece of his mind and likely out him to the mainstream media - if for no other reason than to potentially increase his own touches and stature. Where I brought up Tebow it was mostly in that, bringing the circus that is Tim Tebow here would actually draw media attention away from Te'o which would do the kid good. At this point I'd be willing to suffer through the media jocking Tebow if it meant giving us a better chance to maximize the return (on the field and psychologically) out of our combined 2nd and 4th round picks. That said, Tebow won't come here because Rivers is the entrenched starter at QB.

Also, I'm hearing tell we're candidates for getting Hard Knocks this year (with Te'o on the roster, it shouldn't be surprise). Brace yourselves, boys. We're about to become the subject of a ton more of unearned hate.

Rivers is already in a somewhat fragile position, and a good portion of torchers already wanted him out of town....

Now imagine going through months of that foolishness even before the season started....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Wilkieray

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that "Hard Knocks" would be good for Rivers. I think he got a bad rap with the Cutler thing. I think that his passion for the game will show and alot of the haters may change their tune. As for the rest of the team thats a different story.
On another note: Andy Reid is saying that Fisher will start at RT (at least for this year). So, they spent a 1st overall on a RT? In comparison I'm content with 11th on our RT. haha. I know that Fish is their future LT and he'll be a good one, but right now it's funny.
vikes635

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there any truth to the chargers trading for DeAngelo Williams? i herd the rumor on the golf corse today

Rip Sean Taylor

PROPS TO Joe_is_the_best for the Sig

Adopt A Viking= Kyle Rudolph Rec=5 Targets=10 Drops= Penalties= tot yds=69 TD=1 Lng=21

Pre Season= 4 catches 1 drop 44 yards
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikes635 wrote:
is there any truth to the chargers trading for DeAngelo Williams? i herd the rumor on the golf corse today

Doesn't make any sense from our standpoint.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
vikes635 wrote:

Doesn't make any sense from our standpoint.

If they were trying to get a broken own LT out of retirement, getting Williams makes a ton of sense. I don't think the new staff likes Mathews, and they have good reasons.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this article about a UDFA we picked up, QB Mike Hermann from RPI. Good read, hard not to root for a guy like this. Here is the link to the article and some videos of him. Interested to see how he does in camp.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/zone-rpi-hermann-survives-avusive-father-nfl-shot-article-1.1335208

http://youtu.be/kQUflJxA3GQ
http://youtu.be/ZmagIZajY-o

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
ESPN's Matt Williamson believes the Chargers have "the worst left tackle situation in the NFL."
Williamson is former scout for the Browns. Here's his take on King Dunlap, who is currently penciled in as the Chargers' starter: "He has great size, but he is heavy-footed and can really struggle to play low enough due to his extreme height. At best, he is a right tackle athlete and not suited to playing on the left side." The Chargers also lost their top guard, Louis Vasquez, in free agency. We're not sure how Philip Rivers sleeps at night.

Ouch...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Rotoworld wrote:
ESPN's Matt Williamson believes the Chargers have "the worst left tackle situation in the NFL."
Williamson is former scout for the Browns. Here's his take on King Dunlap, who is currently penciled in as the Chargers' starter: "He has great size, but he is heavy-footed and can really struggle to play low enough due to his extreme height. At best, he is a right tackle athlete and not suited to playing on the left side." The Chargers also lost their top guard, Louis Vasquez, in free agency. We're not sure how Philip Rivers sleeps at night.

Ouch...

Could he be worse than Harris was last year? I mean is that even possible? At least we should only need to worry with the left side with Fluker on the right instead of Clary. Curious to see how Clary does at guard though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: