Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Q + A with Maiocco - 4/30
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swift21

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Let's not jump to conclusions about Crabs. Drafting more young receivers would be a good idea whether or not we re-sign him, as we still need #2 and #3/slot guys for the long-term. Without specific information about what the FO is thinking (which Maiocco doesn't have), this is nothing but idle spec.

Football doesn't begin for months and you want to curb what little football talk/debate topics we can have?! Uh, okay. That makes a lot of sense, right? Nope.
We can jump to conclusions and Crabtree has given ample ammunition for said conclusions--his rookie holdout and complaints about not getting the ball enough, for starters. For another, he still calls the state of Texas home and has stayed there frequently in the offseason rather than training with other team members.
Hopefully, he has been training more with others and Kaep in particular, but we haven't heard much reguarding Crabtree in the offseason.

Not much to hear about considering the voluntary offseason workouts began (April 15th) just a little over two weeks ago.

Football school started Monday which Crabtree is participating in with Kaep and the other Wr's.

SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
Forge

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
^ yeah, I don't think Crabtree liked knowing (or feeling) like he wasn't the "#1" main target of his QB. Alex loved him some VD and spreading the ball around, but Kaepernick clearly relied on (trusted) Crabtree more. That can only help in Crabtree's mindset of how much he wants to stay a 49er.

.. but happier or not, it seems logical to conclude that Crabtree will set a very high $ price on himself... and we know Baalke will have his own price set and won't waver from it... so I can see the F/O preparing for life without Crabtree. Hoping for the best outcome, but preparing for the worst.

No doubt about that, he'll definitely over value himself. Let's hope it's not by too much, but I'm not holding my breath. The popular theme for WR's today seems to be "I want Fitz money".

Say he puts up a 1500 yard/10 TD season, how much would you guys be willing to pay him? Mike Wallace money?

If he puts up those kind of numbers, I think wallace's salary will be the starting point for the crabtree camp. Personally, I'm not so sure. I see crabtree as a #1, but not a dominating receiving force that can take over a game, you know? It will also depend on a lot of other factors. Has Kaep learned not to rely so heavily on him? how have Jenkins and Patton developed? what other receivers are available in free agency that year? Personally, I don't think you need a megatron or someone like that to be successful. The saints and packers have proven that you don't need a dominant receiver; just a well rounded receiving corps (Colston and Jennings were solid 1's, but not the type that I would call dominating). I personally don't like the idea of paying any receiver that much money. I can see us franchising him for a year so that we can fully prepare for his departure and then letting him go. For some reason, crabs never struck me as a 49er lifer.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
^ yeah, I don't think Crabtree liked knowing (or feeling) like he wasn't the "#1" main target of his QB. Alex loved him some VD and spreading the ball around, but Kaepernick clearly relied on (trusted) Crabtree more. That can only help in Crabtree's mindset of how much he wants to stay a 49er.

.. but happier or not, it seems logical to conclude that Crabtree will set a very high $ price on himself... and we know Baalke will have his own price set and won't waver from it... so I can see the F/O preparing for life without Crabtree. Hoping for the best outcome, but preparing for the worst.

Agreed; i could see us at most franchising him for one year to try and develop other receivers and then letting him go. If he puts up a full season this year comparable to what he did after Kaepernick became starter last year, he may be considered a top 10 wide receiver in the nfl, and that kind of price tag may be too steep for us. I think we are doing a wise thing in continuing to draft wide receivers. I'm not sure what we have in Jenkins, but even if we knew, I think the selection of Patton was a good one. You can usually find a solid wr2 in free agency, but I think it best to try and develop your own number one. If he and Baalke don't see eye to eye on his worth, or at least in the same general vicinity, no way we are keeping him long term because neither of those guys is going to break.

When he was a rookie he wanted money above the slot where he was drafted. That's never done, but that's what he wanted anyway because he thought he was better than the guys picked ahead of him and thought he should earn more than them It's that attitude that has me worried. If he wanted top 10 money we might give it to him. But I'm guessing, and hoping I'm wrong, that he's going to want more money than is appropriate for where he ranks among the WRs in the league. And if it just so happens he turnss out to be the besst or near best WR in the league I don't think the team would pay any WR the kind of money those guys earn. It just causes too many problems for the rest of the budget.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

No doubt about that, he'll definitely over value himself. Let's hope it's not by too much, but I'm not holding my breath. The popular theme for WR's today seems to be "I want Fitz money".

Say he puts up a 1500 yard/10 TD season, how much would you guys be willing to pay him? Mike Wallace money?

If he puts up those kind of numbers, I think wallace's salary will be the starting point for the crabtree camp. Personally, I'm not so sure. I see crabtree as a #1, but not a dominating receiving force that can take over a game, you know? It will also depend on a lot of other factors. Has Kaep learned not to rely so heavily on him? how have Jenkins and Patton developed? what other receivers are available in free agency that year? Personally, I don't think you need a megatron or someone like that to be successful. The saints and packers have proven that you don't need a dominant receiver; just a well rounded receiving corps (Colston and Jennings were solid 1's, but not the type that I would call dominating). I personally don't like the idea of paying any receiver that much money. I can see us franchising him for a year so that we can fully prepare for his departure and then letting him go. For some reason, crabs never struck me as a 49er lifer.

I could see some team vastly overpaying for him and failing to understand how our coaching staff used him to be as effective as he is.

I think Crabs is a great player and his value by the end of this season is going to be a lot higher than the end of last year, but I have no emotional attachment to him as a player.

As someone else mentioned, I am far more concerned about locking up Kaep, Aldon and Iupati.

Crabs is great after the catch, but if we can develop a couple of WRs these next couple of seasons then I can definitely envision a scenario where we let him walk for a monster deal.

He's a great asset and I know we shouldn't be jumping the gun, but I already have enough faith in Kaep to see him working more in the vein of Brady, just chucking it to whoever is open.

Crab's a valuable commodity. But he's dispensable when you start to get into ridiculously high contract negotiations.
NINERFAN_4_LIFE

Location: Buring the eternal flame Candlestick Park - you will always be in my heart
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

While I agree he probably won't resign just because some lower end team with lots of cap space will offer a healthy contract that will be almost impossible for him to turn down (similar to dashon) I DO think crabs has the ability to take over games. He is one of the most polished and natural route runners in the game and has incredibly big and strong hands. Not to mention he's a great run blocker. him and boldin are two of the best wrs at blocking on top of their skills which makes them versatile enough to fit our offense to a t. I think he will be missed whenever he leaves and isn't as easily replaceable as you may think. Yes you can get good production from lower tier guys with good play design and proper timing but those types of guys don't strike fear into opposing coordinators like crabs has/will. He really can't be manned up (the seahawks and ravens got away with a ridiculous amount of holds and illegal contact). Look at every game he's played against Patrick Peterson, straight ownage. as much as I loved Alex, him and crabs were a bad match, now that kaep takes advantage of his skills and gives him a chance to make plays, I think the sky is the limit for Michael crabtree. I'm just praying he takes a pay cut bc he loves harbs

Crabs seems to have deion in his ear. I don't like that one bit as deion always let's everyone know he is all about the money and how he believes players should get paid. I think unfortunately you are right, his days as a niners are limited... but then again so is everyone's. I just hope he gets out of the NFC... if he somehow goes to GB or seatle I'm going to lose it. I don't mind the cowboys as much because I know they are going to be the suck for a while, jerry Jones isn't making smart moves... owners trying to be GMs, comedy

^a seahawks fan in reference to 2013

FOREVER FAITHFUL
the niners lost the superbowl
FOREVER HATEFUL

SaveourSonics wrote:
Some Seattle fans are really getting out of hand.
Forge

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NINERFAN_4_LIFE wrote:
Forge wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
oldman9er wrote:

While I agree he probably won't resign just because some lower end team with lots of cap space will offer a healthy contract that will be almost impossible for him to turn down (similar to dashon) I DO think crabs has the ability to take over games. He is one of the most polished and natural route runners in the game and has incredibly big and strong hands. Not to mention he's a great run blocker. him and boldin are two of the best wrs at blocking on top of their skills which makes them versatile enough to fit our offense to a t. I think he will be missed whenever he leaves and isn't as easily replaceable as you may think. Yes you can get good production from lower tier guys with good play design and proper timing but those types of guys don't strike fear into opposing coordinators like crabs has/will. He really can't be manned up (the seahawks and ravens got away with a ridiculous amount of holds and illegal contact). Look at every game he's played against Patrick Peterson, straight ownage. as much as I loved Alex, him and crabs were a bad match, now that kaep takes advantage of his skills and gives him a chance to make plays, I think the sky is the limit for Michael crabtree. I'm just praying he takes a pay cut bc he loves harbs

Crabs seems to have deion in his ear. I don't like that one bit as deion always let's everyone know he is all about the money and how he believes players should get paid. I think unfortunately you are right, his days as a niners are limited... but then again so is everyone's. I just hope he gets out of the NFC... if he somehow goes to GB or seatle I'm going to lose it. I don't mind the cowboys as much because I know they are going to be the suck for a while, jerry Jones isn't making smart moves... owners trying to be GMs, comedy

See, what I'm just not sure about is whether or not Crabs strikes "fear" into defensive coordinators and teams. I don't think you gameplan him like you do Megatron/Jones & White/AJ Green...heck, maybe even Dez Bryant. Now, in all fairness, that could be because we have a much more versatile offense than any of those other teams and to gameplan for one player would be a disaster for an opposing team. I do agree that he is a great route runner and blocker, but I think anyone we draft/sign will be a willing and effective blocker while Harbaugh is coach; I think it's a requirement.

My other issue is that I just don't value wide receivers to that kind of money. I'm a big believer in the qb philosophy; you pay and value the quarterback, guys who protect the quarterback, and guys who can get to the opposing quarterback. Those are always my top priorities. So with that being said, I want extensions for Iupati, Smith, Kaep, maybe even another one for Boone before I want to start looking at an extension for Crabtree. I think he's far more dispensable than any of those other guys, especially since I see the kids coming out of college at the skill positions are just getting better and better and offering more and more.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: