Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Q + A with Maiocco - 4/30
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Q + A with Maiocco - 4/30 Reply with quote

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-chat-now-matt-maiocco

Quote:
I think why they've selected Jenkins and Patton over the past two years is because they know it's going to be difficult to re-sign Crabtree.

Quote:
I don't expect Lattimore to play at all in 2013.

Quote:
No, I fully expect Carradine to be a factor as a rookie. I think he'll play 10 to 15 snaps per game as a rookie.

Is Tank's injury bad enough to keep him out this year or should we expect to see him play at some point.

pretty short one this time...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I think that was kinda boring usually Maiocco gives a little more than that....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Overall I think that was kinda boring usually Maiocco gives a little more than that....

yep... boring is the word for the next few months... Sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As boring as it was, I didn't like the part about not resigning Crabs.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
EverythingSF

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrscottso wrote:
As boring as it was, I didn't like the part about not resigning Crabs.

Yeah but we can't get mad at him for being realistic on the issue

^Thanks to NS922

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Alex's Mom?

Alex's High School Backup? Wink
GoLdRuSh

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately Crabtree is just the lesser player of those we need to resign.

Priority to long term success:

1. Kaepernick
2. Smith
3. Iupati

All of which will likely be top 3 in the NFL in their respective positions if they continue to develop.

Crabtree on the other just isn't that good in comparison to his peers. And with his track record he will want to be paid like Andre Johnson/Megatron; something we obviously won't do.
Ronnie's Pinky

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not jump to conclusions about Crabs. Drafting more young receivers would be a good idea whether or not we re-sign him, as we still need #2 and #3/slot guys for the long-term. Without specific information about what the FO is thinking (which Maiocco doesn't have), this is nothing but idle spec.
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
Let's not jump to conclusions about Crabs. Drafting more young receivers would be a good idea whether or not we re-sign him, as we still need #2 and #3/slot guys for the long-term. Without specific information about what the FO is thinking (which Maiocco doesn't have), this is nothing but idle spec.

Football doesn't begin for months and you want to curb what little football talk/debate topics we can have?! Uh, okay. That makes a lot of sense, right? Nope.
We can jump to conclusions and Crabtree has given ample ammunition for said conclusions--his rookie holdout and complaints about not getting the ball enough, for starters. For another, he still calls the state of Texas home and has stayed there frequently in the offseason rather than training with other team members.
Hopefully, he has been training more with others and Kaep in particular, but we haven't heard much reguarding Crabtree in the offseason.
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
Ronnie's Pinky wrote:

Football doesn't begin for months and you want to curb what little football talk/debate topics we can have?! Uh, okay. That makes a lot of sense, right? Nope.
We can jump to conclusions and Crabtree has given ample ammunition for said conclusions--his rookie holdout and complaints about not getting the ball enough, for starters. For another, he still calls the state of Texas home and has stayed there frequently in the offseason rather than training with other team members.
Hopefully, he has been training more with others and Kaep in particular, but we haven't heard much reguarding Crabtree in the offseason.

That's the key part, we haven't heard anything about him wanting more money. People assume that because he held out his rookie year, he'll do it again, but there have been no signs of that. He could do it this year, but there's a good chance that we approach him with an extension beforehand.

If Alex was still out quarterback, then I think his chances of re-signing are low. It's not a knock on Alex, they just haven't had the best relationship, so it makes sense that he'd want to move on. However, Kap and him seem to be best buds, they go out a lot and really seem to get a long. Plus, Crabs is pretty loyal to his QB once he gets some success with them (Graham Harrell), which is why I think he'll end up re-signing.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ yeah, I don't think Crabtree liked knowing (or feeling) like he wasn't the "#1" main target of his QB. Alex loved him some VD and spreading the ball around, but Kaepernick clearly relied on (trusted) Crabtree more. That can only help in Crabtree's mindset of how much he wants to stay a 49er.

.. but happier or not, it seems logical to conclude that Crabtree will set a very high $ price on himself... and we know Baalke will have his own price set and won't waver from it... so I can see the F/O preparing for life without Crabtree. Hoping for the best outcome, but preparing for the worst.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
^ yeah, I don't think Crabtree liked knowing (or feeling) like he wasn't the "#1" main target of his QB. Alex loved him some VD and spreading the ball around, but Kaepernick clearly relied on (trusted) Crabtree more. That can only help in Crabtree's mindset of how much he wants to stay a 49er.

.. but happier or not, it seems logical to conclude that Crabtree will set a very high $ price on himself... and we know Baalke will have his own price set and won't waver from it... so I can see the F/O preparing for life without Crabtree. Hoping for the best outcome, but preparing for the worst.

Agreed; i could see us at most franchising him for one year to try and develop other receivers and then letting him go. If he puts up a full season this year comparable to what he did after Kaepernick became starter last year, he may be considered a top 10 wide receiver in the nfl, and that kind of price tag may be too steep for us. I think we are doing a wise thing in continuing to draft wide receivers. I'm not sure what we have in Jenkins, but even if we knew, I think the selection of Patton was a good one. You can usually find a solid wr2 in free agency, but I think it best to try and develop your own number one. If he and Baalke don't see eye to eye on his worth, or at least in the same general vicinity, no way we are keeping him long term because neither of those guys is going to break.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
SoCalNiner

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:

No doubt about that, he'll definitely over value himself. Let's hope it's not by too much, but I'm not holding my breath. The popular theme for WR's today seems to be "I want Fitz money".

Say he puts up a 1500 yard/10 TD season, how much would you guys be willing to pay him? Mike Wallace money?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:

Say he puts up a 1500 yard/10 TD season, how much would you guys be willing to pay him? Mike Wallace money?

Eh... tough one.. and perhaps a touchy subject. For me? I just don't see Crabtree as that special to throw 10+ mil per season at just yet... and that's coming from someone who was ecstatic at us selecting him years ago. I'm not convinced he is so good that he really scares the crap out of defensive coordinators and forces extra coverage his way. Most of his best work comes from short/mid range passes converted to YAC... which, sure he is very good at on most days.. but irreplaceable?

So as can be said about many players... they are auditioning year by year for that next big paycheck. If he can put up the production you mentioned? and becomes a WR that secondaries have to put extra attention on? Maybe he will get offered a desirable contract from Baalke. I just don't know about this offense... the exact direction it's headed in under Kaepernick. Will we still lean towards spreading the ball around as Kaep gets more comfy? If so, Crabtree may not see that 1,500/10 TD season.

Hmm... guess I'm glad I don't have to make that decision... and glad that Baalke doesn't have to make it this year.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
Football doesn't begin for months and you want to curb what little football talk/debate topics we can have?! Uh, okay. That makes a lot of sense, right? Nope. We can jump to conclusions and Crabtree has given ample ammunition for said conclusions--his rookie holdout and complaints about not getting the ball enough, for starters. For another, he still calls the state of Texas home and has stayed there frequently in the offseason rather than training with other team members. Hopefully, he has been training more with others and Kaep in particular, but we haven't heard much reguarding Crabtree in the offseason.

I just don't see any reason to worry about Crabtree at this point, nor anything to be gained by negative speculation. Seems to me that he's put the diva reputation behind him, and at any rate, he'll either re-sign or he won't. I'm sure the FO is prepared to move on without him, if necessary. Crabs has not been that important or that good to this point.
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:

I just don't see any reason to worry about Crabtree at this point, nor anything to be gained by negative speculation. Seems to me that he's put the diva reputation behind him, and at any rate, he'll either re-sign or he won't. I'm sure the FO is prepared to move on without him, if necessary. Crabs has not been that important or that good to this point.

Maybe you can make a list of what we can and can not talk about? That would be helpful.

( j/k ... it's all good )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: