Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive hopes for this season!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
The Helicopter


Joined: 31 Dec 2012
Posts: 201
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No injuries, break the 600 point mark, undefeated season...BAM!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntiSuperstar


Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Posts: 4444
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Consider that a brain fart and quick to trash talk Andy Reid, because honestly hes a terrible HC.


Nothing wrong with Andy Reid bashing.

broncosfan_101 wrote:
Just that you talk about an offence that 'works in the playoffs', than bring up Andy Reid, a guy widely known as someone who's never gotten it done. Thought it was ironic.


Only with a very under-developed sense of what irony is. There are plenty of positives that can be taken from opposing team's offenses. No one runs a perfect one and they all have terrible flaws.
_________________
Stop slobbering over Brian Dawkins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan_101


FF Fanatic
Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 13025
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
broncosfan_101 wrote:
Just that you talk about an offence that 'works in the playoffs', than bring up Andy Reid, a guy widely known as someone who's never gotten it done. Thought it was ironic.


Only with a very under-developed sense of what irony is. There are plenty of positives that can be taken from opposing team's offenses. No one runs a perfect one and they all have terrible flaws.


Oh sure, I totally understand what you were saying and I don't disagree with the Andy Reid part. He does some great things offensively, and a new offensive coordinator could do a lot worse than model certain schemes to what Reid's done in the past. The thing about the offence 'not working in the playoffs' is absolute rubbish, but that's a different conversation entirely.
_________________
big_palooka wrote:
Lomax taking home the MVP. Good choice. Solid poster and BP hater Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntiSuperstar


Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Posts: 4444
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan_101 wrote:
Oh sure, I totally understand what you were saying and I don't disagree with the Andy Reid part. He does some great things offensively, and a new offensive coordinator could do a lot worse than model certain schemes to what Reid's done in the past. The thing about the offence 'not working in the playoffs' is absolute rubbish, but that's a different conversation entirely.


How many times have we seen that Colts offense crash and burn in the Playoffs?
_________________
Stop slobbering over Brian Dawkins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AKRNA


Joined: 28 May 2008
Posts: 5129
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm with the group that would prefer to see a bit more reliance on a running game.

The SB Denver teams had a wicked passing attack and great receiving threats, comparable to what we have now. The biggest difference was a brutal running game and great play action off of it.

2nd and 8/10 was not a passing down for that team. On 3rd or 4th and short we were automatic.

Looking at our FA signings and picking up Ball I think Elway would like to see a return to that. I know I would.

it may not produce the regular season blow outs but is far more effective in the post season.

maybe I'm too old school, but I'm still a fan of a 2WR, 1TE, 2 back set. Hester/Ball, hester/Hillman, Hillman/Ball, Unrein/Ball. Add that to a Thomas/Decker/Dreesen combo and that gets pretty ugly for a DC.

Tons of ability in the run or pass game so which do you defend?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18533
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
broncosfan_101 wrote:
Presented without comment. Laughing


Not sure what's funny about the first statement. Seems a pretty straight-forward statement.

The second one perhaps wasn't very clear. Aside from mispelling Andy Reid's name, perhaps one could fail to recognize what was meant by "Andy Reid type elements," which was referencing the ways in which Reid uses running backs in the passing game.

I get what you're saying Anti and I agree. I've always appreciated how Reid gets his RBs involved in the passing game. There are other elements of his offense I don't like, which I'd wager you dislike as well, but his scheme does put an emphasis on getting the ball to his RBs via the pass. Honestly, I don't think there is a play in football I like watching more than a perfectly-executed RB screen. It would be nice to see us get more creative in incorporating the RBs in the passing game, I thought that was why we drafted Hillman...

broncos67 wrote:
I truly believe that Gase's desire for a sped up offense will help the offense success in the postseason. While it's definitely true that the offense is simplistic and based on timing, speeding up the offense (theoretically) should allow us to do some different things.

I still worry about Gase's ability to coordinate an offense. He has no experience calling plays and now is not the time for him to be learning as he goes or experimenting on the job.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jsthomp2007


Joined: 11 Jan 2008
Posts: 7338
Location: USA
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Personally I'm with the group that would prefer to see a bit more reliance on a running game.

The SB Denver teams had a wicked passing attack and great receiving threats, comparable to what we have now. The biggest difference was a brutal running game and great play action off of it.

2nd and 8/10 was not a passing down for that team. On 3rd or 4th and short we were automatic.

Looking at our FA signings and picking up Ball I think Elway would like to see a return to that. I know I would.

it may not produce the regular season blow outs but is far more effective in the post season.

maybe I'm too old school, but I'm still a fan of a 2WR, 1TE, 2 back set. Hester/Ball, hester/Hillman, Hillman/Ball, Unrein/Ball. Add that to a Thomas/Decker/Dreesen combo and that gets pretty ugly for a DC.

Tons of ability in the run or pass game so which do you defend?



I feel the same way. However, if memory serves me correctly, those teams did blow teams out by halftime and the second half was just a lot of TD literally running time off the clock.
_________________
Ninja stealth muggers in the Bellagio has left me in a state of congitive disonance...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 15876
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Anti that more passes to RBs would open this offense up more. I think Hillman has the ability to fill that role and I think when we drafted him we envisioned him in that role. Whether he can do that remains to be seen.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jonnyj20


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 10743
Location: SLC
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I still worry about Gase's ability to coordinate an offense. He has no experience calling plays and now is not the time for him to be learning as he goes or experimenting on the job.

Pretty sure we talked about this already a while ago, but Gase HAS called multiple series. He talked about how McCoy let him do this (one of the reasons McCoy was a good coach). I'm assuming that when we ran that fast hurry up a few times it was due to Gase. Either way he DOES have at least some experience.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
denverbroncos23


Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Posts: 337
Location: QC Area
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I still worry about Gase's ability to coordinate an offense. He has no experience calling plays and now is not the time for him to be learning as he goes or experimenting on the job.

Pretty sure we talked about this already a while ago, but Gase HAS called multiple series. He talked about how McCoy let him do this (one of the reasons McCoy was a good coach). I'm assuming that when we ran that fast hurry up a few times it was due to Gase. Either way he DOES have at least some experience.

AAA knows that but a few series is hardly considered experience. It's really just a waiting game because none of us really know hpw Gase is gonna run this offense but you can bet that Manning will have a huge part if not the final say on what we do. He can always just change the play at the line lol
_________________

^Jamison^
Broncos, Michigan Athletics, Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs.. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
paul-mac


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 8750
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
I agree with Anti that more passes to RBs would open this offense up more. I think Hillman has the ability to fill that role and I think when we drafted him we envisioned him in that role. Whether he can do that remains to be seen.



The worry is his pass protection of course. If he's the only back in the shotgun then the defense knows he's running a route. We could cure this by having Hester and Hillman both in the backfield, no tight ends and 3 wide receivers.
_________________
Big Palooka wrote:
Broncos won't make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
jonnyj20


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 10743
Location: SLC
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverbroncos23 wrote:
jonnyj20 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I still worry about Gase's ability to coordinate an offense. He has no experience calling plays and now is not the time for him to be learning as he goes or experimenting on the job.

Pretty sure we talked about this already a while ago, but Gase HAS called multiple series. He talked about how McCoy let him do this (one of the reasons McCoy was a good coach). I'm assuming that when we ran that fast hurry up a few times it was due to Gase. Either way he DOES have at least some experience.

AAA knows that but a few series is hardly considered experience. It's really just a waiting game because none of us really know hpw Gase is gonna run this offense but you can bet that Manning will have a huge part if not the final say on what we do. He can always just change the play at the line lol

It is more than "no experience" which AAA is quoted as saying. And this is the perfect opprotunity for a guy like Gase as you said. He has a veteran QB who can call a game as good as anyone. AAA just has a hatred for anything McD era and since Gase came to the organization during that era AAA will hate him even after Gase helps us win a SuperBowl.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 15876
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience is overrated when it comes to calling plays. We've seen many young OC's succeed and many experienced play callers like Shanahan and Reid fail at times. Being predictable and not being able to manage player packages is what does OCs in not experience.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18533
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should have said "very limited" experience calling plays. I'm not predicting doom and gloom but Gase's lack of experience plus purported idea of "speeding things up" is something I will be keeping my eyes on. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a "wait and see" approach with a rookie OC who wants to do some experimental things play-calling and game-planning wise.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
broncosfan_101


FF Fanatic
Moderator
Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 13025
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
broncosfan_101 wrote:
Oh sure, I totally understand what you were saying and I don't disagree with the Andy Reid part. He does some great things offensively, and a new offensive coordinator could do a lot worse than model certain schemes to what Reid's done in the past. The thing about the offence 'not working in the playoffs' is absolute rubbish, but that's a different conversation entirely.


How many times have we seen that Colts offense crash and burn in the Playoffs?


So that means it will always fail? I mean, I could be wrong, but I thought Peyton won a Super Bowl there...
_________________
big_palooka wrote:
Lomax taking home the MVP. Good choice. Solid poster and BP hater Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group