Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive hopes for this season!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
denverbroncos23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Offensive hopes for this season! Reply with quote

With Manning being here for a full season and Elway putting great pieces around him what do you hope we do differently or add to our offense from last year? It can be different sets more play action, or whatever you wanna see that will make our offense that much more dangerous.

For me I would love for us to run more screen plays to our RBs. Manning is going to demand so much attention on the outsides with Decker and Thomas, and now the middle with Welker and our TEs. I think our RBs would feel like they are at a track meet with all the open space they would have plus many of our interior linemans strengths are pulling and blocking out in space.

^Jamison^
Broncos, Michigan Athletics, Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs.. Sad
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd like to see us run an offense that actually works in the Playoffs but that probably won't happen. Not until we hire an offensive coordinator whose suited to be something more than Peyton Manning's lap dog. Hopefully we can at least improve the running game.

Also while there are certain types of passes to running backs that can take advantage of a defense playing off(though these aren't that great if you don't have really athletic runners, like Rashard Mendenhall or someone like that), in terms of actual screens, the type you see thrown to running backs are really best suited to run first offenses who when they do throw usually gain big chunks of yards, and the screens can even be off play action. The idea is to get the defense to be over-aggressive and then have blockers set up downfield, and the entire play is based on precise timing. The bubble screens to Wide Receivers are what best take advantage of the kind of situation you have in mind. And we run those with Thomas constantly.

If we had better athletes at Running Back I wouldn't mind seeing some Andy Reed type elements to get the runner more involved, but I don't think you'll see a lot of that.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should play Monteeball and have a more balanced offense. Let's face it, if they were playing Monteeball last year during the Baltimore game, that game never goes into OT, in fact, Baltimore would have never had a chance to score that TD.
denverbroncos23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Well I'd like to see us run an offense that actually works in the Playoffs but that probably won't happen. Not until we hire an offensive coordinator whose suited to be something more than Peyton Manning's lap dog. Hopefully we can at least improve the running game.

Also while there are certain types of passes to running backs that can take advantage of a defense playing off(though these aren't that great if you don't have really athletic runners, like Rashard Mendenhall or someone like that), in terms of actual screens, the type you see thrown to running backs are really best suited to run first offenses who when they do throw usually gain big chunks of yards, and the screens can even be off play action. The idea is to get the defense to be over-aggressive and then have blockers set up downfield, and the entire play is based on precise timing. The bubble screens to Wide Receivers are what best take advantage of the kind of situation you have in mind. And we run those with Thomas constantly.

If we had better athletes at Running Back I wouldn't mind seeing some Andy Reed type elements to get the runner more involved, but I don't think you'll see a lot of that.

Gotcha, yeah I put some more thought into after I wrote it and thought about how 2 years ago running RB screens when we had Tebow would probably have been more effective than with Manning. Really I just wanna see us use our RB more in the passing game period no matter what the route is. I saw where montee had 6 TDs as a junior catching the ball so that excites me!

^Jamison^
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
Well I'd like to see us run an offense that actually works in the Playoffs but that probably won't happen.

Presented without comment. Laughing
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan_101 wrote:

Not sure what's funny about the first statement. Seems a pretty straight-forward statement.

The second one perhaps wasn't very clear. Aside from mispelling Andy Reid's name, perhaps one could fail to recognize what was meant by "Andy Reid type elements," which was referencing the ways in which Reid uses running backs in the passing game.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
broncosfan_101 wrote:

Not sure what's funny about the first statement. Seems a pretty straight-forward statement.

The second one perhaps wasn't very clear. Aside from mispelling Andy Reid's name, perhaps one could fail to recognize what was meant by "Andy Reid type elements," which was referencing the ways in which Reid uses running backs in the passing game.

So basically non-existent?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:

Wut? The Eagles offense always featured a bunch of pass plays designed to get the runner in space, both with LeSean McCoy and even more with Brian Westbrook.
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
broncosfan_101 wrote:

Just that you talk about an offence that 'works in the playoffs', than bring up Andy Reid, a guy widely known as someone who's never gotten it done. Thought it was ironic.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Offensive hopes for this season! Reply with quote

denverbroncos23 wrote:
For me I would love for us to run more screen plays to our RBs.

I think a key to watch will be the right side of the OL. With Vasquez and Franklin doing power run-blocking and the possibility of Beadles pulling out to block the MLB, and Walton and a TE also participating in blocking, the right side should be able to blast open running lanes.

Peyton Manning wants the offense to play faster in 2013. So there might be a lot of quick screen passes this year.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:

Wut? The Eagles offense always featured a bunch of pass plays designed to get the runner in space, both with LeSean McCoy and even more with Brian Westbrook.

My mistake. I missed the whole "passing game" part.

Andy Reid doesnt understand how to effectively run the football. He does a very good job involving his RB's in the passing game. Consider that a brain fart and quick to trash talk Andy Reid, because honestly hes a terrible HC.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with the improvement in our offensive line will be a BIG advantage also. I also think Manning will be better this year as will our running game. IMO had we made one more first down in the playoff game we would have had another Super Bowl trophy at Dove Valley!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly believe that Gase's desire for a sped up offense will help the offense success in the postseason. While it's definitely true that the offense is simplistic and based on timing, speeding up the offense (theoretically) should allow us to do some different things.

Thanks, Tzimisce
denverbroncos23

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is totally off topic but Mannings season last year kind of reminded me of farves first season in Minnesota. He had his second best season of his career stat wise, hardly any turnovers, lead his team to the playoffs threw a late interception back across his body that cost his team the game. Now I know manning isn't all to blame by far in the ravens game but you gotta admit those two seasons from those guys were very similar. Now I just hope manning has a much better second year here in Denver than farve did in Minnesota lol

^Jamison^
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansas bob wrote:
I think with the improvement in our offensive line will be a BIG advantage also. I also think Manning will be better this year as will our running game. IMO had we made one more first down in the playoff game we would have had another Super Bowl trophy at Dove Valley!

That is what I said. That is why I think Montee Ball is such a great draft pick, because at the end of the game, all you need is ball control. The defense is worn down, why not jam some Monteeball down their throats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: