Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Odd comments from Batch on Landry Jones
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Odd comments from Batch on Landry Jones Reply with quote

Quote:
But Batch won't survive the drafting of Jones. He said he's not bitter but rather thankful to the Rooneys and to general manager Kevin Colbert for giving him a chance "to live out my dream ... I'm the only guy born and raised in Pittsburgh who played for the Steelers and won two Super Bowls."

Batch, from Homestead, said he thinks the selection of Jones goes "much deeper than what's on the surface ...

"Maybe they weren't happy with what they had behind Ben and Bruce. That could be. But ultimately, I think this isn't about replacing me. Big picture, maybe they're thinking, 'Can we develop Landry Jones to be the starter? Maybe two years from now, he could be our guy for the next 10 years.' We don't know. But with the contracts for quarterbacks these days, he'd certainly be a heck of a lot cheaper than Ben at age 34 or 35 or 36."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/ron-cook-a-batch-full-of-success-685435/#ixzz2RxQQEiXQ

Batch isn't stupid, and he knows how statements like this will play in the media. So, what the hell was the motivation?
1. [inappropriate/removed] with Ben (I don't mean as if they dislike each other, but maybe to push him), trying to stoke the fire a bit?
2. Maybe he really is bitter about being out of a job.

All that said, I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to keep Batch over Gradkowski. It isn't as if he was godawful for the team last year, though it was a bit painful to watch him struggle with his lack of physical ability. If you were going to invest a 4th rounder anyway...

Maybe we'll get one of those good seasons where Roethlisberger stays healthy, and the only game he misses is the meaningless one in week 17 before he goes on a playoff run.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is out of character.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batch isn't necessarily wrong though.

Few things: big ben get hurt. Every year.

Its not wrong to try develop a starter behind big ben because PT is almost guaranteed.

Not that I think Landry will but if he ever develop into a starting caliber I'm sure FO will look at sheets and compare the cap vs production. Is it easier to trade him away or keep him? Its almost never wrong to do that.

If anything, this has more to do with who Tomlin is. Tomlin is turning into a "none if no-sense" guy and he may be developing a better relationship with Haley than we think and this may be more of a notion on what the coaching staffs think of big ben.

Again, I like everybody don't know what's going on but Batch is a really professional character, I doubt he will say something to tick anyone off.

Maybe this is his way or saying..Big Ben, watch out. I don't know.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe he's being honest. Maybe he doesn't understand the draft pick either and is simply attempting to get into the head of Colbert and attempting to suggest what THEY might be thinking.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question isn't whether Batch is right or wrong or being honest. It's why even say it? Alls it does is stir the pot and create a level of drama. It's also interesting that Roethlisberger did not say anything about Jones, and only talked about losing Batch. Then Batch suggests that Jones is viewed by the team as a guy who could threaten Roethlisberger's long-term future with the team.

Batch and Roethlisberger are close and it's a safe assumption that they discuss things like this.

This could be Batch poking Roethlisberger a bit. It could be that the two of them are of a like mind on this issue. I don't think Batch just told the media this (even if it is apparent) just because he felt like being candid.

If Roethlisberger doesn't embrace the Jones pick (we have no indication one way or another), then that's an obvious issue. It could also be indicative of some more tension between the organization and its best player.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pick sure have confuse a lot of us.

For example;

Landry Jones' wife play with Big Ben's sister on basketball squad.

Coincidence?

I mean we all already knew that Landry Jones have Christian Ponder's ceiling, not much of upside. So its hard to see that landry will become a franchise quarterback.
Dracula58

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben just needs to do his job…

Batch has had a very good NFL career, it’s over move on.

Landry Jones is an unproven rookie that has a lot to learn… No threat to taking Ben’s job for a while. The FO saw a need to find a solid #2 behind ben for the next few years. If it works out then maybe we are luck and have Ben’s successor on the roster.

If Ben is sitting around thinking about a 4th round QB then he is stupid and his mind is not where it should be.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Like the other franchise QB's who most teams bend over backwards to appease? Peyton Manning practically gets to run the entire team in Denver. You don't think other QB's around the league don't look at that? Or that Roethlisberger is thinking about his future and contract a bit?

What other team with a franchise QB is falling over themselves to build a run game and play small ball and fires his offensive coordinator? You can argue whether these are good choices or not, but it's harder to argue that Roethlisberger wouldn't be offended by any of this.

Obviously Jones is a longshot and probably doesn't threaten anyone...probably not even Gradkowski. But the perception does have a small, marginal impact.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But big ben already had to "put up" with Haley's scheme.

Its not that difficult to see the direction is going somewhat opposite. Hopefully not!
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracula58 wrote:

Batch has had a very good NFL career, it’s over move on.

Landry Jones is an unproven rookie that has a lot to learn… No threat to taking Ben’s job for a while. The FO saw a need to find a solid #2 behind ben for the next few years. If it works out then maybe we are luck and have Ben’s successor on the roster.

If Ben is sitting around thinking about a 4th round QB then he is stupid and his mind is not where it should be.

I agree 100%. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I believe Landry Jones has all the tools to succeed in the NFL. Here's the thing about tools..they don't work by themselves. You have to learn to operate them and actually DO SO. The learning process for him is where he is going to need to develop. Learning the offense, learning how to react to opposing defenses, ball release quickness, all the different types of things that in Pittsburgh are an absolute must. If he can conquer those things, he can have a future here. But he's got a long journey ahead of him before the idea of taking over for Ben is even remotely relevant.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Dracula58

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
Quote:

Like the other franchise QB's who most teams bend over backwards to appease? Peyton Manning practically gets to run the entire team in Denver. You don't think other QB's around the league don't look at that? Or that Roethlisberger is thinking about his future and contract a bit?

What other team with a franchise QB is falling over themselves to build a run game and play small ball and fires his offensive coordinator? You can argue whether these are good choices or not, but it's harder to argue that Roethlisberger wouldn't be offended by any of this.

Obviously Jones is a longshot and probably doesn't threaten anyone...probably not even Gradkowski. But the perception does have a small, marginal impact.

I don’t care what Peyton is doing in Denver… Ben should be focused on running our offense, he was doing a damn fine job before he got hurt and was working his way to a possible MVP with Haley. So I would expect him to embrace it even more and do his part to get his team to the SB. But you keep worrying about Peyton and Denver…

Like it or not the running game still needs to be run with some sort of success to make any offense complete. Arians needed to go, Ben was not progressing and we were still sucking it up in the red zone… Really what the hell are these pros a bunch of crybabies that can’t handle any adversity in life, don’t be offended Ben just get better and focus on your offense.

I would say Gradkowski is gone or moved to #3 after this year behind Jones but this still does not affect Ben as the team leader and #1 QB and if he is going to pout and cry over it and wish he was PeyPey running the Denver organization than he can leave sooner than later.
Dracula58

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
But big ben already had to "put up" with Haley's scheme.

Its not that difficult to see the direction is going somewhat opposite. Hopefully not!

Ben needs to embrace the offense not "put up" with it... Ben was looking good before injury and IMO we were heading in the right direction...

I want Ben to take control of the offense and run the hell out of it.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ben needs to embrace the offense not "put up" with it...

If Roethlisberger were a FA, he would get a massive contract from a team that would probably bend over backwards to make him happy. Obviously not a scenario that is going to happen in the immediate future, but just something for people to consider before saying he has to do this or should do this.

Quote:

Like it or not the running game still needs to be run with some sort of success to make any offense complete.

I would love to have a great run game. I think there is an issue, though, when a team has a crappy run game and insists on putting the game in the hands of the likes of Dwyer/Redman over the star QB. If the team is running the ball at will, no one is going to complain.

Watching the Bengals loss was painful. Watching the team come out and run the ball against the Cowboys and kill their own momentum was painful. And the final game in Cleveland?

I haven't given up on Haley, and I want a run game because it would only make the team better. The point here is that Roethlisberger has probably felt marginalized at times, and this thread is SPECULATING based on Batch's comments. It's all pretty much just off-season chatter at the end of the day. May be part of a general trend that Roethlisberger isn't so happy with the direction of his offense right now.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a issue if the Steelers took Landry Jones in the second or 3rd round. But they took a QB in the 4th because they couldn't count on Batch or Leftwich to stay healthy.

Landry is a project and depending on how he develops he'll probably be a Ryan Mallet type backup.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracula58 wrote:

Ben needs to embrace the offense not "put up" with it... Ben was looking good before injury and IMO we were heading in the right direction...

I want Ben to take control of the offense and run the hell out of it.

amen!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: