Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mayhew to look for help on the Lines and ST's post draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Mayhew to look for help on the Lines and ST's post draft Reply with quote

Lions pondering more moves on both lines, special teams

Quote:
General manager Martin Mayhew said Saturday he’s still looking for help at several positions, chief among them the offensive line and the return game.

Quote:
“I think, after every draft, you kind of review where you are, and typically, there are some things that, at least in our case, there's some things that we still want to do this off-season,” Mayhew said. “And we're going to be focusing on those things over the next few weeks.”

The Lions are young on both lines and will be looking for a veteran addition on offense, probably at tackle.

Riley Reiff, Corey Hilliard and Jason Fox are the only experienced tackles on the roster, with six career starts between them. Typically, the Lions carry four tackles during the season.

Quote:
In the return game, the Lions have several options — Joique Bell and perhaps Devin Thomas on kicks; Mike Thomas, Ryan Broyles and, in a pinch, Reggie Bush on punts — but no clear answer for the role.

“There’s some spots where we need to add some players,” Mayhew said. “I think you kind of identified an area that we want to make sure that we have it shored up before the season starts.”

Whatever moves the Lions make, Mayhew said he doesn’t necessarily expect them to happen soon.

“I don't think it's going to be a real quick process,” he said. “I think it's going to be some time to go through everything, and it could be into May, June. But the draft is not the finish line. And we have all off-season until we get to camp and start playing games. I think there’ll be roster movement throughout the off-season.”

The article also speculates brining in some depth along the defensive line whether it be at DT or DE.

Who would you bring in to help at RT? Do you feel comfortable with just Fox and Hilliard?

Who would you have returning punts and kicks? Is he on the roster? Is there a FA you would pick up?

Is there an OT you would trade for? If so, who? What would you give up?

Can the Lions afford any of these potential upgrades?
Moparguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Mayhew to look for help on the Lines and ST's post draft Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:

Quote:
General manager Martin Mayhew said Saturday he’s still looking for help at several positions, chief among them the offensive line and the return game.

Quote:
“I think, after every draft, you kind of review where you are, and typically, there are some things that, at least in our case, there's some things that we still want to do this off-season,” Mayhew said. “And we're going to be focusing on those things over the next few weeks.”

The Lions are young on both lines and will be looking for a veteran addition on offense, probably at tackle.

Riley Reiff, Corey Hilliard and Jason Fox are the only experienced tackles on the roster, with six career starts between them. Typically, the Lions carry four tackles during the season.

Quote:
In the return game, the Lions have several options — Joique Bell and perhaps Devin Thomas on kicks; Mike Thomas, Ryan Broyles and, in a pinch, Reggie Bush on punts — but no clear answer for the role.

“There’s some spots where we need to add some players,” Mayhew said. “I think you kind of identified an area that we want to make sure that we have it shored up before the season starts.”

Whatever moves the Lions make, Mayhew said he doesn’t necessarily expect them to happen soon.

“I don't think it's going to be a real quick process,” he said. “I think it's going to be some time to go through everything, and it could be into May, June. But the draft is not the finish line. And we have all off-season until we get to camp and start playing games. I think there’ll be roster movement throughout the off-season.”

The article also speculates brining in some depth along the defensive line whether it be at DT or DE.

Who would you bring in to help at RT? Do you feel comfortable with just Fox and Hilliard?

Who would you have returning punts and kicks? Is he on the roster? Is there a FA you would pick up?

With the salary limitations they have with still needing to sign rookies and leaving some available in case of injures I dont see any big names you can get to help the team out really

ST help is obviously a huge need as there does not appear to be a legit return man on the team at the moment who isnt likely to be starting at another skill position

Maybe bringing back Corey Williams is possible or some LB help when the cap cuts start going as 4-3 Lb's tend to be fairly cheap.

But where they seem to have the least experience are at the generally expensive T or De positions. And unless some top talent wants to play on a cheap 1 year deal I think we have enough unproven talent at those positions that I dont think they could really get an upgrade.

I think it will probably be Reiff at LT and Hillard at RT with Fox as your swing tackle replacement.
I do hope that LaAdrian Waddle manages to stick coming from Texas Tech he does have alot of experience as a passblocker at RT.

But of all the free agents currently available I would hope to get Brandon Lloyd on the cheap. We are so thin at WR because of injury or underachievement from both Thomas's that one injury could force them to end up doing something desperate like having Bush as a full time WR.
Irish Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vets are going to be getting cut here pretty soon, The cards just cut Snyder who is a RG that I wouldnt mind looking at. I would be ok with bringing Tyson Clabo in for a 1 year deal too.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mayhew to look for help on the Lines and ST's post draft Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why would a DE return kicks? Confused Maybe they meant Corey Fuller and don't know who the Lions drafted yet. Got tolove Detroit Freep, Detroit News and Mlive. Always wrong. Laughing I swear we have the worst media when it comes to sports. Makes me miss Killer everyday. Crying or Very sad

We need another DT, so I don't mind that.

I can understand wanting a vet OT on the team. We have three young ones with not much starting experience. It's best to be prepared, but I don't think it'll be a big name splash like some are speculating. However, I could see Jason Fox winning the RT position. And I'm okay with that.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Mayhew to look for help on the Lines and ST's post draft Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why would a DE return kicks? Confused Maybe they meant Corey Fuller and don't know who the Lions drafted yet. Got tolove Detroit Freep, Detroit News and Mlive. Always wrong. Laughing I swear we have the worst media when it comes to sports. Makes me miss Killer everyday. Crying or Very sad

We need another DT, so I don't mind that.

I can understand wanting a vet OT on the team. We have three young ones with not much starting experience. It's best to be prepared, but I don't think it'll be a big name splash like some are speculating. However, I could see Jason Fox winning the RT position. And I'm okay with that.

Guessing you confused Thomas with Taylor?

And I think we could be solid at DT, and would rather bring in a veteran DE.

Leave Jason Jones in the middle along with Mosley as backups and sign Abraham.

Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Stafford gets resigned soon and it frees up some space. I think we bring in one of Wnston or Clabo to play RT. then bring in Dwight Freeny and move Jones to a rotational DT/DE. I am not as worried about returner, anything is better than Logan. Riddick or Devin Thomas would be fine IMO.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just holding out hope for Freeney. How sweet would that be.

Maybe Breaston on the cheap for returner?
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I think Stafford gets resigned soon and it frees up some space. I think we bring in one of Wnston or Clabo to play RT. then bring in Dwight Freeny and move Jones to a rotational DT/DE. I am not as worried about returner, anything is better than Logan. Riddick or Devin Thomas would be fine IMO.

Its crazy how much the ball bounced his way his first year here. He looked really good then but hasnt dont crap but svrew up since.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:

Its crazy how much the ball bounced his way his first year here. He looked really good then but hasnt dont crap but svrew up since.

Ya, I was gonna say, even Logan would probably be better than Logan, because he couldn't possibly hold a repeat performance from last year Laughing
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mayhew to look for help on the Lines and ST's post draft Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I prefer to let the winner of the TC battle play at RT than any of the free agents out there right now. That might change if someone else gets released, but the very last thing I want to do is trade for Brandon Albert. I have no interest in him at all.

Returner is the biggest question mark on the roster for me. Right now if I had to bet I think it's either Fuller or Riddick who will eventually win the job, but one dark horse we added as a free agent after the draft is Trevor Coston.

Quote:
In 2011, he earned second-team all-CAA and fourth-team All-American honors for the Black Bears, tallying 83 tackles and six interceptions. He was also a first-team punter returner, leading the conference with 9.7 yards per return.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/04/detroit_lions_sign_free_agent_1.html

It will probably take a Stafford extension, but I'm drooling over possibly getting Freeney as a free agent. That would be a scary defensive line.

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: