Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brian Xanders impact on 2013 NFL Draft
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Brian Xanders impact on 2013 NFL Draft Reply with quote

Scouting database created by Brian Xanders didn't impact who Detroit Lions drafted

Quote:
Xanders, the former Denver Broncos general manger, was hired by the Lions in January. One of his first responsibilities was to develop an internal scouting database to help the team better process information during the draft.

According to general manager Martin Mayhew, the database was helpful, but had little impact on the players Detroit selected.

Quote:
"The information flow was faster," Mayhew said. "We've got some output from our new system where we're able to consolidate a lot of information, which was very helpful. I don't think that that made a huge difference in terms of who we picked, but it certainly helped us to get information a little bit quicker."

Xanders had a bigger impact in the moments after the draft, as the Lions scrambled to sign targeted prospects who went undrafted.

"We changed the process up this year a little bit," Mayhew said. "We got some input from Brian from things that they had done in Denver and we changed it up a little bit and we'll see how it goes."

Mayhew declined to elaborate on the specific changes.

What do you guys think about his comments?

What kind of impact do you expect Brian Xanders to have going forward?

What exactly is his role? What does his contract look like? Any ideas?
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I believe him. I don't figure Xanders was even around long enough to put his "system" (whatever that may be) fully in place. Next year I expect his full impact to be felt. But if he helped process the info to get UDFA's faster, that is actually a huge difference since that is basically a first-come first-serve deal.
Typical_Lions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first instinct is that it is in Mayhew's best interest to downplay any potential positive impact that Xanders may have had. Why? Because if things work out well Mayhew will want full credit for selecting those guys.

If the drafted prospects are only so-so then Mayhew goes back into the frying pan and perhaps get fired and then the Lions could simply promote Xanders.

If the prospects don't work out at all then Mayhew gets fired anyway.
stylish313

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was just as easy as Mayhew admitting to himself he's got a problem- He's addicted to Matthew Stafford and showering him with draft day presents every April.

He got that out of the way early signing Bush, and went forward building the rest of the team for a change. Bout time.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical_Lions wrote:
My first instinct is that it is in Mayhew's best interest to downplay any potential positive impact that Xanders may have had. Why? Because if things work out well Mayhew will want full credit for selecting those guys.

If the drafted prospects are only so-so then Mayhew goes back into the frying pan and perhaps get fired and then the Lions could simply promote Xanders.

If the prospects don't work out at all then Mayhew gets fired anyway.

I admit it is a distinct possibility, I just don't feel it is the case here. I mean, Millen got 7 years and he was much, much worse. I don't think Mayhew is, was, or ever did anything because he felt like he was in a frying pan of any sort.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling there was more impact this year than what is being led on. Mayhew doesn't want to be under minded by Xander's. But there was definitely a difference this year in how we approached the draft and the outcome. We went more for need than in the past and didn't reach other than maybe the punter. I have a feeling Xander's was the reason for that.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
lions on top

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or does it sound like Xanders just put all the players on an Excel spreadsheet with all their measurables? Not saying that shouldn't be happening in NFL, just wondering why Mayhew seems to think it's like a new art-form of quick organization.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lions on top wrote:
Is it just me or does it sound like Xanders just put all the players on an Excel spreadsheet with all their measurables? Not saying that shouldn't be happening in NFL, just wondering why Mayhew seems to think it's like a new art-form of quick organization.

Lol, I am sure it was a little more than that but I get what you are saying. Most of us here are organized enough to do a draft and it shouldn't be hard when you get past the first couple rounds to know who you like. And how much different can the UDFA process be? We're they not calling people before recruiting? If not that is a major concern. If its something else it really can't be that difficult. It shocks me they needed another former GM to come in and bring these ideas.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitter Mayhew. This was by far best draft last round 1 for Det under his tenure in terms of filling needs with talent

Time will tell

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Bitter Mayhew.

Mayhew strikes me as a pretty level headed person. Almost to a fault. Bitter is not a word that I would use to describe anything he has ever said or done.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of believe him. It's hard to compare this Draft withe past drafts because this was a completely different Draft than we are used to seeing. And he made a lot of sense when he said the majority of his impact came after the Draft with UDFAs.

But of course if he is stretching the truth, I'm guessing it would be because he wants Xanders to stay long term and not get offered any GM positions at having a successful Draft due to his scouting system.
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything it was probably a ranking type database on cloud or something. Something where they could enter their measurables, stats, pros, cons, grades for each aspect and spit out a final grade for each prospect. Im sure its a bit more in depth than that exactly but thats what it sounds like to me. Databases are difficult to build and if you can build a good database with a lot of different features it expedites the entire process.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
thenoilif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling they just used Madden. Shocked
minus28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madden picks would have been waaaaay different
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Maybe it was just as easy as Mayhew admitting to himself he's got a problem- He's addicted to Matthew Stafford and showering him with draft day presents every April.

He got that out of the way early signing Bush, and went forward building the rest of the team for a change. Bout time.

While his system may not be in place I think its probable he influenced the draft simply by being part of the process.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: