Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Initial Grades on the 2013 Draft Class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: My Initial Grades on the 2013 Draft Class Reply with quote

I haven't logged on since the draft, and I figured I'd just give my thoughts on this years' class. I put the word 'initial' in there because I haven't done much research into any of the prospects yet. All of my thoughts are just preliminary.

1st Round: Justin Pugh, OL
Grade: B-
Comments: I must admit, at first I wasn't pleased with the pick. It's not that I was unhappy with the player or position, just the value of the pick. Once I saw Kyle Long go at 20 and Frederick at 31, I realized it was the right choice. The Giants got a great player here at 19. I listed him at OL because he can literally play anywhere on the offensive line. This will be fantastic considering every position other than LT will be up for grabs within the next year or two. Pugh was a difference maker at Syracuse and I think he brings a skillset that could start at RT from day one. I see a Diehl situation where Pugh will move around and start all over the offensive line throughout his career. May make a Pro Bowl or two, but I have no doubts he will be at least an above average LG in the NFL. The reason for the B- grade is that I didn't see him as the 19th best player available. With players like Sharrif Floyd still available, it was tough to reach on the 7th OL drafted. Definitely am excited about this pick, other than the fact that Pugh grew up an Eagles fan...

2nd Round: Jonathan Hankins, DT
Grade: B+
Comments: Hankins was the 3rd DT drafted in the second round in the last 4 years. Giants need to figure it out at this position. Hankins was one of those "a year ahead of time" draft picks realizing that Linval Joseph is going to be a free agent next year. Hankins could fill Linval's role, but has more potential. He was over-used at Ohio State which led to fatigue and bad tape. Leave him in with a solid rotation at DT and he will be a force in the middle. He's gonna shore up that terrible run defense from last year, and offers potential as a pass rusher. I see him being used in the rotation immediately, probably as the 4th DT. As he gets more acquainted with the scheme, he should receive more playing time. He gets a B+ because I didn't think this position was enough of a need to warrant a second round selection, especially with players like Jamie Collins, Jamar Taylor, and Arthur Brown still on the board. Great move by Reese thinking of the future when addressing this selection.

3rd Round: Damontre Moore, DE
Grade: A
Comments: My favorite pick of the draft right here. He is exactly what was needed to replenish the pass rush. The tape doesn't lie, and this kid produced at the highest level. Notice I said kid there. He's not going to be 21 until September. This probably was one of the reasons he fell, as he came off as immature and with a poor work ethic in college. He still produced on the field. The other reason he fell in the draft was a terrible forty time (4.95) and poor bench press (12 reps). It should be noted that Moore did hurt him hamstring on his forty yard dash. But I want to compare the following numbers from Moore's pro-day and JPP's combine: Moore - 19 reps, 35.5" vert, 10'2" broad, 7.08 three-cone, 4.33 twenty yard shuttle; JPP - 19 reps, 30.5" vert, 9'7" broad, 7.18 three-cone, 4.67 twenty yard shuttle. Those numbers for Moore would have put him on par with Ezekiel Ansah (three-cone) and Barkevious Mingo (twenty yard shuttle). And how often do you think a DE is going to run 40 yards? I saw Tuck do it once, JPP once, Osi twice. Sure, Moore's gotta hit the weight room to play in the NFL, but he's got room to grow at such a young age. This was an absolute steal. With an awesome nickname of "DaMonster" and his awesome pass rushing abilities, I see this being the answer opposite JPP for the future of this pass rush. Absolutely fantastic value, getting a top-5 pick at one point in the middle of the third round. A grade warranted here.

4th Round: Ryan Nassib, QB
Grade: C
Comments: Losing a 6th round pick to move up 6 spots for a QB who should never have to play a game in his career. Can't really understand the logic on this one. Don't get me wrong, Nassib is great value in the 4th. I just don't think this was the right move after a trade up. With a player like Khaseem Greene on the board at a position of need, it would have probably been better to go that route. I like Nassib and think he will be a good player to groom behind Eli for a few years. Hopefully the Giants can turn him into a 2nd or 3rd round pick with some great development. That would resurrect the pick, in my opinion. I don't ever want to see Nassib get significant playing time outside of the pre-season. I do like pairing up former teammates in Pugh and Nassib though. That always helps with the transition to the next level. Have to wonder if Syracuse-alum Tom Coughlin had some say in this one... The C grade is mostly because it was a bad trade-up and a useless pick with so much talent and other needs.

5th Round: Cooper Taylor, S
Grade: B+
Comments: My second favorite pick in the draft. Love this kid. Would have been a higher draft pick if not for a heart problem that shouldn't be a concern at this point. I think Cooper is exactly what the solution is for all of these TEs in the NFL. He's got fantastic size and great coverage skills. Perfect for the third safety role. He can honestly gain 5-10 pounds and play LB. He's gonna offer great special teams play right away. This should spell the end of Sash's time with the team. Taylor has tons of potential and is still raw, but a playmaker at Richmond. I highly doubt he plays on defense in his rookie year, but I think he can contribute in the future. Huge potential with this one and could be the first of a new prototype. B+ grade because I think he could have been taken a round later, but it was given away with the Nassib trade.

7th Round: Eric Herman, OG
Grade: B
Comments: I think Herman is a good late-round flyer. What stood out to me was that he was credited with over 300 pancakes in college! Wow! Nasty run blocker who needs help in the passing game. He probably won't make the roster this year, but I think he joins the practice squad and is a good development prospect as a RG for the future. I give this grade a B because I would have rather taken a flyer on someone who could impact the team this year instead of a developmental OG who may have gone undrafted.

7th Round: Michael Cox, RB
Grade: C-
Comments: A 25 year old RB... eh. Not much to say about this one, other than I highly doubt he makes the roster. Don't know anything about this guy other than he went to Michigan and then transferred. He's got good size and speed. Maybe he turns into something, but we will see. C- grade because I think we could have signed him in free agency and used the pick to secure someone who would have been high sought after in the free agency market.

Overall Grade: B+

Figured I'd throw this in here as well. Based on how the draft went, this is what I would have done with each of the Giants picks. BTW I didn't do the trade to move up in the 4th round. Found it unnecessary.

1. Sharrif Floyd DT
2. Terron Armstead OT
3. Damontre Moore DE
4. Khaseem Greene LB
5. Nick Kasa TE
6. Bacarri Rambo S
7. Jawan Jamison RB
7. Kevin Reddick LB
Byrdman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the write up, I agree on almost all of it.
This is how I would have done the draft with the available players. Mine includes the trade up.

1. Sharrif Floyd DT
2. Arthur Brown LB
3. Damontre Moore DE
4. Barrett Jones OG/C
5. Ricky Wagner OT
7. Cornelius Washington DE
7. Dennis Johnson RB
percellovegiant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the grade for nassib. I compare our situation to that of the packers situation years ago when they drafted rodgers, eli is 32, and as durable as he has been, he can get hurt. Nassib was one of the top rated qb's in this draft, and reese did right to go het him. Eli didnt play very well last year, maybe he was hurt, and just to stubborn to tell anyone, or was scared to lose his ironman record. Let the kid get groomed by a two time superbowl mvp, and who knows he jusy might be better than eli or rodgers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok first of all Favre was like 35 when they drafted Rodgers. Nassib was overrated for a weak QB class. His own college coach did not even want him. If you seriously believe he can be better then Eli or Rodgers that's just crazy talk. If we made this move in 3 or 4 years I would not have a problem with it. I believe it was a very bad call but everybody has the right to there own opinion
percellovegiant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt say he will be than those guys, i said maybe, but u can twist my words all you want, Im just saying it is a good time to start grooming his successor. Favre being 35 means nothing, rodgers still didnt get a chance for years, so what ever helps you sleep at night.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 2 years after drafting Rodgers when Favre was traded because of his not being able to decide if he want to retire. Also age does have something to do with drafting your franchise QB replacement. If he ends up being a ok QB do you think he will be ok with sitting on the bench for 6 to 8 years behind Eli waiting on him to retire. I'm not saying he was not good value in the 4th but only for a team looking for a new QB in the next couple of years and I personally would be shocked if we decide to walk away from Eli before he retires. So as I said before this kind of move is about 3 to 4 years to early.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: