Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What to do at LT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie_raven77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: What to do at LT Reply with quote

I know a lot of us are trying to assess what to do at LT and it seems pretty universal that nobody really wants Oher starting there and moving KO would weaken our line as we move him from his best position. I see there's a few teams sniffing around McKinnie now (Chargers and Dolphins) what do people think we're gonna do? I know that Ozzie wouldn't consider trading for Branden Albert with his love for draft picks, although it would help solidify our line for at least 3-4 years. Would we revert back to our classic "wait till a veteran gets released late in the process" eg. Willie Anderson and Bryant McKinnie, and then go from there?

Just wanted to get an opinion on peoples' preferences
dcarey20

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant McKinnie would be my solution there, and I probably would have signed him a long time ago. But its hard to get a read on how the Ravens feel about him; for whatever reason it's looking like he's not going to be back.

My guess is that KO would move there and Jah Reid would lock down the LG position. Not ideal my any stretch of the imagination, but given what I've heard them saying, I think they're going to give Osemele a shot ther.e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I say we bring back McKinnie.

I have no desire to trade multiple draft picks for Brandon Albert and I have no idea what they see in Osemele as an LT.

Sad
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore couldn't trade for Albert unless they opened up a lot of cap space or Kansas City reworked his deal before he's dealt. They tagged him and that costs $9.828 million. The Ravens currently have about $6 million less than that to spend.

Looking over the free agent options right now I would prefer Oher at LT which leaves Reid or Wagner at RT. Now that could change if a veteran LT gets cut down the line but as it stands the best free agent LT I see after McKinnie is Jammal Brown. I wouldn't mind Baltimore taking a shot on him but at the same time he hasn't been the most reliable player latey either.

I really don't want Osemele moved from LG. In my opinion a lot of people don't appreciate the pass-protection that a great interior line provides. For a guy like Flacco I think it's just as important to keep the interior pocket clean as it is to protect his "blind side." The combination of Osemele stonewalling opposing interior defensive lineman and Caldwell trying to create more moving pockets led to great results for Flacco in the playoffs and I want to continue to see that. I'm in the minority but I don't think McKinnie was that great in the playoff run either.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKinnie would be my top option. If not, I don't mind giving KO a shot. In fact I would like to give it a try before we put Oher there again. If it doesn't work we can go back to KO at guard.

Free Ray Rice
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give KO a shot, see if he has what it takes in camp. If not, kick Oher back there, leave KO at LG, and have Reid/Wagner compete at RT.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm in the minority but I would rather have Oher at LT then count on mckinnie for a whole season. I've seen up close and personal what mckinnie looks like when he's unmotivated and its down right pathetic. Pencil Over in there for a year and hope someone else comes available.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some veterans may be casualties later in the TC timeframe as well. I just think we should be patient. Ozzie typically brings in great value guys late in the off-season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either sign McKinnie or it looks like we're stuck with Oher at LT and then maybe we can sign Winston or someone else to play RT for us.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemm68 wrote:
I know I'm in the minority but I would rather have Oher at LT then count on mckinnie for a whole season. I've seen up close and personal what mckinnie looks like when he's unmotivated and its down right pathetic. Pencil Over in there for a year and hope someone else comes available.
Agreed. I don't trust McKinnie. And I think Ozzie's plan is basically to stick Oher there for now and see if a better option becomes available.

Though I will say, I'm a little surprisied there has been no market for Max Starks so far. I would prefer him or Jamaal Brown (if he checks out medically) over McKinnie if we're going the the veteran LT route.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
aussie_raven77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Either sign McKinnie or it looks like we're stuck with Oher at LT and then maybe we can sign Winston or someone else to play RT for us.

I was thinking this move too. He's been asking for $3-4 million and nobody has offered it to him, could we snare him for $2.5 million?
I also wouldn't mind checking in on Jamaal Brown too if he's healthy, he was a really good player when healthy

I think Flaccomania is the most accurate though. It's a typical Ozzie move and remember how late in the fold he brought in McKinnie and even before that Willie Anderson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: