Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chase Thomas will make GM's look stupid!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Chase Thomas will make GM's look stupid!!! Reply with quote

Guys, I understand the kid went undrafted (which I personally think was a crime) but this is a guy that I had rated as a 3rd round pick, top 50 prospect and #2 SAM 34 OLB in the draft. I get that some teams were turned off by his performance at the NFL combine where he ran a slow 40 (4.9) and looked stiff in his positional drills but I felt he redeemed his self at the Stanford Pro-Day with a 4.76 40 yard dash and overall better performance in his drills.

The fact is, Thomas is right… players far less productive and with worst combine/Pro-Day performances were drafted while he was ignored. This will light a fire under a player that is already known as an over achiever and is praised for his work ethic, high motor and natural football instincts. Looking at this kid, it’s clear why he chose the Saints as a UDFA signing. Junior Galette, Martez Wilson and Rufus Johnson have very little 34 linebacker experience between the 3 of them while Victor Butler may not be an ideal fit on the strong side. Actually, none of the above is really good against the run to be honest and that’s where Thomas will have an edge.

I fully expect that not only will Thomas earn a roster spot in the final 53 for the Saints but I predict that his 34 experience and production against high level of competition, high motor and work ethic, high football intelligence and instincts, the enormous chip on his shoulder & his physical tools and skill set will earn this young underrated football player a starting position on the edge in Rob Ryan’s new 34 defense is New Orleans.

Guys… I realize this may be a steep prediction but I have watched Thomas for quite some time throughout his college career and if Sean Payton was serious when he said that he will treat this season much like he did in 2006 where all roster spots were open to competition, then Chase Thomas would not be a player I’d bet against.

Especially now after being disrespected like he was, I’m sure he will be to prove the world wrong!

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
SaintsBeast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta attribute his bad pro day to a lack of comfortability in his surroundings. I think he wasn't quite where he needed to be mentally at the combine, but got himself there in time for his pro day at Stanford and looked VERY good.

Totally agree with the thread title. I have a feeling this could be a guy whose jersey every Saints' fan in America wants to own, he's good.

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF
thesolution

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theirs no doubt I think he makes the roster but it will be hard for him to beat out Galette, Wilson and Butler to start. Them guys are hungry, plus they have the trust of the coaching staff.

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Wilson staying at OLB, he's too stiff. Hopefully Rob will realize this and put him at ILB. I can honestly see Chase winning the OLB job opposite of Galette.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over/Under Week 6 he starts?

I'm gonna go with under.. I think he'll start around game 3. This is the perfect starting lineup:

Hicks-Jenkins-Jordan

Thomas-Lofton-Wilson-Galette

Look at that front 7 Shocked

And my last name is Thomas so if he pans out I'll definitely have to get me a jersey to go along with my #23.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesolution wrote:
Theirs no doubt I think he makes the roster but it will be hard for him to beat out Galette, Wilson and Butler to start. Them guys are hungry, plus they have the trust of the coaching staff.

Maybe Butler but Wilson & Galette know this defensive coaching staff about as much as Chase Thomas does. Sean Payton said this will be a open competition at all positions like it was in 2006 and if their is one thing Thomas is... it's dependable.

Rookies to start in 2013...

Chase Thomas OLB (By mid season)
Kenny Vaccaro SS (By start of season)
Jonathan Jenkins NT (By mid season)
Jerrmon Armstead LT (By start of season)

A player to watch... Kevin Reddick ILB

thesolution

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
thesolution wrote:

Maybe Butler but Wilson & Galette know this defensive coaching staff about as much as Chase Thomas does. Sean Payton said this will be a open competition at all positions like it was in 2006 and if their is one thing Thomas is... it's dependable.

They didn't draft a pass rusher until the 6th round. What does that tell you? Plus last time I check the LB coach is still Joe Vitt. The competition is between the 3 above mentioned first. Unless Chase comes in a turn heads it's not given. He mite struggle to beat out Romeus and Johnson..

Edit... Also don't forget about Braylon Broughton

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesolution wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
thesolution wrote:

They didn't draft a pass rusher until the 6th round. What does that tell you? Plus last time I check the LB coach is still Joe Vitt. The competition is between the 3 above mentioned first. Unless Chase comes in a turn heads it's not given. He mite struggle to beat out Romeus and Johnson..

Joe Vitt will be the ILB coach, Like everywhere else he's been... Rob Ryan will take a special intrest in the OLB position. Butler to be has the upper hand because of this, I actually think the Season will start off with Galette and Butler as the starters. Chase Thomas and my shocker, Eric Martin will make it as reserves.

I think they pack on the weight to Broughton and put him as a developmental DE

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesolution wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
thesolution wrote:

Yeah but so was Ryan. He was also a LB coach, and now he's DC so he overruns Vitt.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

AD 4 MVP!

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
thesolution

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just I don't think Chase will get them kind of reps to overtake 1 of the starters this year. As far as Broughton goes, all of the depth charts I search up he listed as a OLB. If they made him add about 30 pounds, it doesn't make me happy. He came in with some great measureable. 6'4 257 with 4.55 speed.

Copyrighted by Kiltman
My Second Sig
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Thomas starts early on. Maybe like Tez's rookie season he'll start by the final week. Listen to Ryan he seems very confident in Butler. I don't see him not being a day one starter. Also he wants to play Smith and Tez at OLB. That's a lot of competition to start, Butler, Galette, Tez, Smith, Thomas, and Broughton. Based on what Ryan said (unless someone really stands out in training camp) I see Butler and Galette starting at OLB.
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the end of Shanle? They assigned Shanle's number (58) to Thomas. I'd expect a release shortly. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Brandin Cooks - 53 receptions, 550 yards, 25 first downs, 3 TD - 7 rushes, 73 yards, 4 first downs, 1 TD
Corey White - 44 tackles, 2 INT, 1 sack, 6 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thesolution wrote:
It's just I don't think Chase will get them kind of reps to overtake 1 of the starters this year. As far as Broughton goes, all of the depth charts I search up he listed as a OLB. If they made him add about 30 pounds, it doesn't make me happy. He came in with some great measureable. 6'4 257 with 4.55 speed.

My question for Broughton is the same question I have regarding Rufus Johnson...can they actually play the game of football. It is still a skilled sport.
FLOODx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Is this the end of Shanle? They assigned Shanle's number (58) to Thomas. I'd expect a release shortly. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Loomis pretty much said Shanle, Ellis, and Henderson aren't part of the Saints' future plans.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
domepatrol91 wrote:

Loomis pretty much said Shanle, Ellis, and Henderson aren't part of the Saints' future plans.

Oh, according to the site I was looking at, he was under contract for 1 more year, now I see that he isn't.

My bad, carry on! Very Happy

Brandin Cooks - 53 receptions, 550 yards, 25 first downs, 3 TD - 7 rushes, 73 yards, 4 first downs, 1 TD
Corey White - 44 tackles, 2 INT, 1 sack, 6 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: