Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How long until we are back into contention?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When will the Jets be back in the playoffs?
2013
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
2014
36%
 36%  [ 18 ]
2015
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
2016
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
2017+
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 49

Author Message
moham-17


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 3908
Location: The Boro
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
I think we'll be serious Wild Card contenders in 2014. Legit contenders in 2015.


This.

As much as everyone is ripping on Ryan, the truth is the guy can build and execute a mean defense. That's his bread and butter, and it's that kind of buttery sandwich that can keep lesser teams in contention.

If we can field a low mistake frequency offense, and a strangling D we can be competitive.

Again, as I've said many times, HC is position to be learned just like any position out on the field. Rex has a ton of potential, and his players generally love him; though he does need to learn to crack down a little harder sometimes.

If we do the smart thing and keep the wagon saddled to Rex, we'll be fine. He's only going to get better at running and operating things, and when that clicks for him, we'll have a functional HC who also happens to be one the best defensive minds in football.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikejets22


Joined: 02 Mar 2013
Posts: 516
Location: Putnam
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moham-17 wrote:
green24 wrote:
I think we'll be serious Wild Card contenders in 2014. Legit contenders in 2015.


This.

As much as everyone is ripping on Ryan, the truth is the guy can build and execute a mean defense. That's his bread and butter, and it's that kind of buttery sandwich that can keep lesser teams in contention.

If we can field a low mistake frequency offense, and a strangling D we can be competitive.

Again, as I've said many times, HC is position to be learned just like any position out on the field. Rex has a ton of potential, and his players generally love him; though he does need to learn to crack down a little harder sometimes.

If we do the smart thing and keep the wagon saddled to Rex, we'll be fine. He's only going to get better at running and operating things, and when that clicks for him, we'll have a functional HC who also happens to be one the best defensive minds in football.


I agree. I think, though, that Rex needs to improve on discipline and preparedness. Often time in big games Jets players would come out flat and make mental mistakes (fumbles, penalties, etc..) that are signs of a lack of preparation and focus. Overall, its hard to complain with what he has done with the little talent that he has had.

Easy for me/us to sit here and critique a coaches style, but at times the team appears to be undisciplined and unfocused. I think that is fixable.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jetsfan4life51


Joined: 12 Jan 2006
Posts: 32568
Location: lawn guy land
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Tom Brady retires or regresses anytime soon then the division is anyones.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingOfTheHill84


Joined: 10 Jun 2012
Posts: 2808
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as Rex runs the D and MM has control on the O and Idzik continues to make sound decisions we can be in playoff contention this year and definitely next year

IF HEALTHY, BIG IF, our team is actually pretty good
_________________

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rich51


Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 986
Location: WPB Fl via Jc NJ
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jg6041 wrote:
Imagine we sneak into the playoffs at 9-7 then somehow make it to the AFC Championship with a rookie QB?
Oh wait we did that four years ago. Rolling Eyes
Anything can happen. It is more of how the rest of the AFC turns itself around.
Cinn. Denver, NE, all look solid.
Balt. may take a step back.
Pitts. got younger.
Miami made some big moves.
So while it is not impossible to turn a franchise around quickly everything needs to fall into place just right,


I agree anything can happen and if the offense works a little our d should keep us in games.

Ivory, when healthy will be an improvement over Greene, as will Goodson especially in the passing game.

Hill has to get better, doesn't he? And Holmes is a weapon when he wants to be. Kerley's ok but I like to see more of Jordan White and that Zack Rogers in pre season. The guy I'm the most excited about is Tom Mayo.

The O line wasn't that bad last year and should improve with youth and speed.

On D I'm not too worried about safety, we have a lot of bodies. I assume Landry will be given one spot and the other will be between Allen, Bush, Miles and Jarrett, the eagles second round pick from 2-3 years ago.

The whole linebacker situation has me worried - can Davis play, we really didn't see much last year; is Harris on a downward spiral, is Barnes only a pass rusher, and what can we expect from Pace. All the other linebackers seem like backups and special team players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7158
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that most of us believe we can make a great turn around in the next two years. Very positive fan wise.

Most of you are right, anything can happen this season. I think we got the right coaches & some potential on this roster now. Another surprising playoff run can happen.
_________________

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Colt45fool


Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Posts: 5719
Location: New Haven, CT
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikejets22 wrote:
moham-17 wrote:
green24 wrote:
I think we'll be serious Wild Card contenders in 2014. Legit contenders in 2015.


This.

As much as everyone is ripping on Ryan, the truth is the guy can build and execute a mean defense. That's his bread and butter, and it's that kind of buttery sandwich that can keep lesser teams in contention.

If we can field a low mistake frequency offense, and a strangling D we can be competitive.

Again, as I've said many times, HC is position to be learned just like any position out on the field. Rex has a ton of potential, and his players generally love him; though he does need to learn to crack down a little harder sometimes.

If we do the smart thing and keep the wagon saddled to Rex, we'll be fine. He's only going to get better at running and operating things, and when that clicks for him, we'll have a functional HC who also happens to be one the best defensive minds in football.


I agree. I think, though, that Rex needs to improve on discipline and preparedness. Often time in big games Jets players would come out flat and make mental mistakes (fumbles, penalties, etc..) that are signs of a lack of preparation and focus. Overall, its hard to complain with what he has done with the little talent that he has had.

Easy for me/us to sit here and critique a coaches style, but at times the team appears to be undisciplined and unfocused. I think that is fixable.
There are plenty of big games also where Rex absolutely coaches his tail off and the guys come out looking unstoppable. Those playoff games against the Chargers, Patriots & Colts (2011) are indicative of what Rex is capable of. We have our flat games, but when we're on, Rex's schematics are near unstoppable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
kilahchris


Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 494
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A healthy Jets team have enough talent and coaching to make the playoffs this year. It all comes down to everyone staying healthy and Mark Sanchez progressing.

This team will go as far as Mark Sanchez will take them. That is the sad but honest state of the NY Jets right now.

I do not think Geno Smith is ready to step in this year. He will need a year to learn the offense.
_________________
The Best that ever did it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Russ57


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 681
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the optimism. I wish the dolphin fans had it to the same degree.

Las Vegas sets your over/under at 6.5. Only four teams are worse. Raiders/Jaguars/Cardinals/Browns.

If Geno can prove he is your future you have a chance to go somewhere sometime. Otherwise it is back to the draft because we all know Sanchez isn't your future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KBS756


Joined: 01 Oct 2005
Posts: 5609
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Geno plays well and Holmes and Hill come back strong from their injuries I think we have a legit shot at contending this year. We probably start out rough and work it out down the stretch.

Our defense if the one safety position doesnt kill us, will probably be great just some decent offense and we have a real shot at being in contention.

If Rex is here in 2014 without a doubt we're in the wild card at the very least.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rickyt31


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 7158
Location: HEATlanta , GA
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vs Buccs
@ NE
Vs Bills
@Titans
@ Falcons
Vs Steelers
VS NE
@ Bengals
Vs Saints
@ Bills
@ Ravens
Vs Fish
VS Raiders
@ Carolina
Vs Browns
@ Fish


I'm really not worried about the offense because I think it's nearly impossible for it to be worse than it was last season. I'm actually concerned about the defensive match ups against these teams. Don't see any teams that I can mark off as a win for us. This is either going to be a great up lifting year for us or the year where this thread will be full of mock drafts and angry threads by week 9.
_________________

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rdelaney89


Joined: 22 Jan 2009
Posts: 1615
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kilahchris wrote:
A healthy Jets team have enough talent and coaching to make the playoffs this year. It all comes down to everyone staying healthy and Mark Sanchez progressing.

This team will go as far as Mark Sanchez will take them. That is the sad but honest state of the NY Jets right now.

I do not think Geno Smith is ready to step in this year. He will need a year to learn the offense.


I'm all for being optimistic but we need help at TE, S, G with question marks at QB, RB, WR, OLB

That's not a recipe for success. I think we have a top 10 pick next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GangGreen420


Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 2589
Location: FL
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I love the optimism, but you guys are nuts.

This team is picking in the top 10 next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Malik


Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 4275
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the offense was just average instead of bottom 3 last year the Jets would of been 9-7. The AFC isn't that strong. I'm not going to pile on Sanchez because his talent is very well know. But let's be honest, with simple the 14th-18th ranked QB the last 4 years the Jets would of at least had 9 wins in each.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bobikus


Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 8565
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I really don't see the Jets contending this year. Hopefully Geno shows a lot though and if the Jets pick high instead of going for a QB they can grab someone like Marquise Lee.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group