Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sean Spence's Career Over Before It Began?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilspainishflea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Sean Spence's Career Over Before It Began? Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/76642/spences-career-over-before-it-begins

A year ago, the Pittsburgh Steelers used a third-round pick on Sean Spence, a speedy and athletic prospect who had a future as a starting inside linebacker. Now, it sounds unlikely that Spence will ever play again.

Spence severely injured his left knee last preseason, tearing his ACL and LCL, dislocating the knee, and suffering a damaged nerve behind the knee. In February, general manager Kevin Colbert said the team was keeping "fingers crossed" that Spence would eventually return. The prospects of that happening appear grim, based on comments made during the draft.

"It will be miraculous if he does come back," linebackers coach Keith Butler told reporters last weekend. "We are going to take a chance on him and see if he can come back. To me, he is worth every bit of that."

Spence, who had been an outside linebacker at Miami, was projected to start inside and perhaps take over for aging Larry Foote in 2013. With Spence expected to go on injured reserve, the top backups at inside linebacker this year are Stevenson Sylvester and rookie sixth-round pick Vince Williams.

The Steelers, though, refuse to completely give up on Spence.

"This kid is a great kid," Butler said. "He's not only a very intelligent football player but he is going to provide some intangibles in our locker room that we desperately need. We're going to ride with him for another year. Hopefully, his knee will respond and he can play again."
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it time and wait. He might be lucky to be able to walk again by the sounds of it, what a gruesome injury. The nerve damage is what makes this recovery different than others.

Did Jerry O have nerve damage with his knee? He came back after a serious knee injury, but was it as severe as spence's?
lilspainishflea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
Give it time and wait. He might be lucky to be able to walk again by the sounds of it, what a gruesome injury. The nerve damage is what makes this recovery different than others.

Did Jerry O have nerve damage with his knee? He came back after a serious knee injury, but was it as severe as spence's?

I'm not sure, TBH. I'm a fan of the Pitt Panthers and they have a LB named Dan Mason who injured his knee two years ago in a similar fashion. Mason's kneecap was dislocated, he tore his ACL as well as other ligaments, and he had nerve damage. Mason had 5 surgeries and some thought he might never play again. The problem with comparing some of these injuries is the nerve damage. We have no idea how severe the extent of that injury is, but I am pessimistic that Spence will play football for us at a high level after reading Butler's comments. I'm actually kind of surprised that they didn't take an ILB with a higher pick if Spencer can't go but perhaps they're being optimistic (or realistic in that they had needs all over the field and were willing to roll the dice on his recovery). Either way, we don't have much depth at ILB.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if he can play football again...that doesn't mean he can play football well, after this. Either way, he's not an answer to any of our problems.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he can play again.. but if he can't it's unfortunate. I liked the selection of Sean Spence and it's unfortunate this is the path his career took. I wish him well.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
SteelProven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:

Off Season Work outs

Spence is working out and walking! I don't know his exact status, but he has 5 photos in there that show he's working out. Jumping rope, pulling a sled, stair stepping, bench press are things that require balance and lower body strength. Is Spence healed probably not, but I believe he's progressing the reason the Steelers are willing to take a wait and see approach.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's nice to see him jumping rope and jogging, whether he can return or not is going to depend on his ability to change direction and move laterally. Not an easy task. I wish him the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
While it's nice to see him jumping rope and jogging, whether he can return or not is going to depend on his ability to change direction and move laterally. Not an easy task. I wish him the best.

I second that entire statement. I would love nothing more than to see Spence make a miraculous return to the field and play well and be a long-term Steeler. But that is some mighty big hope. Right now, I'd be happy with the kid getting full functionability back and being healthy for the rest of his life outside of football.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Spence coming out. Many hated the pick, but I was in-love with his skill set and what it could truly mean as a role player and leader for us. Hopefully he finished school. Kid's better off pursuing life after football.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I really liked Spence coming out. Many hated the pick, but I was in-love with his skill set and what it could truly mean as a role player and leader for us. Hopefully he finished school. Kid's better off pursuing life after football.

Even though he's working hard with his rehab. I just think it might be to much to overcome. Which is why I view V. Williams as being a good draft pick.

I have my fingers crossed because I believe Spence is a player that Steelers need in this new pass happy league.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was the playing surface to partially blame for the injury?
treat88

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard rumors that he injured his peroneal nerve significantly enough that he is having issues with "drop foot".

That means he is either unable to or partially unable to dorsiflex (move his ankle upwards so as to lift his toes off the ground in standing) his foot. Results in the toes dragging across the ground as one tries to take a step.

I have no insights as to whether that is true or not, but I will say that if he is dealing with that, yeah, he won't be playing professional football again.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
treat88

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I have my fingers crossed because I believe Spence is a player that Steelers need in this new pass happy league.

Which is why I was doubly surprised they passed on Arthur Brown in the second. He is Spence reincarnate, just a little bigger.

I'm really hoping that passing on an obvious, and good value pick, such as Brown means Spence is healthier than reports seemingly indicate.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treat88 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

Which is why I was doubly surprised they passed on Arthur Brown in the second. He is Spence reincarnate, just a little bigger.

I'm really hoping that passing on an obvious, and good value pick, such as Brown means Spence is healthier than reports seemingly indicate.

I mean through the off season workout photos he is in he doesn't seem to be suffering from "drop foot". I'm not in anyway saying I'm a doctor just making a observation.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:

I don't think Jerry O's injury was nearly as bad as Sean Spence's. Jerry O's game was not speed, but rather quickness and instincts.

Science is fortunately much better now than it was in the 90's. Hopefully Spence can come back and still have his speed and quickness, because that is a big part of his game. If he cannot move as well, it will affect his game and therefore determine his future.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: