Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Opening day depth chart
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iceman88

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justing101 wrote:
The only thing I do not understand is how Wooten was higher up on the board at CB than Jordan Poyer!

You need to remember we usually draft players we bring in for a visit and we did bring Wooten in.

Props to Kempes ^
KingTitan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
justing101 wrote:
The only thing I do not understand is how Wooten was higher up on the board at CB than Jordan Poyer!

You need to remember we usually draft players we bring in for a visit and we did bring Wooten in.

And Wooten has better measurables than Poyer. He is bigger and faster. He can play Safety and Corner.
Poyer is a little more restricted in what he can do. He looks to only be a zone corner or nickel even.
Wooten seems to bring more to the table. Poyer was a great college CB but apparently they along with most of the league, didn't feel that translated well into the pros.
justing101

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
justing101 wrote:

And Wooten has better measurables than Poyer. He is bigger and faster. He can play Safety and Corner.
Poyer is a little more restricted in what he can do. He looks to only be a zone corner or nickel even.
Wooten seems to bring more to the table. Poyer was a great college CB but apparently they along with most of the league, didn't feel that translated well into the pros.

All true, but just for me I care more about what the player does on the football field more than anything else. Just like Vontaze Burfict, he did not have good measurable and all that but he is a football player. For someone who was projected to be a 2nd rounder and to be able to get him in the late 6th would be amazing to me. Especially over someone who we might of gotten as an UDFA anyways. I love our draft though, and I am just nitpicking lol I hope Wooten is amazing and proves me wrong Laughing

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One note on your depth chart...

To keep Rusty, he would have to take up a roster spot. Being the emergency (3rd) QB allows him to be on the inactive list on game day with the opportunity to be active if the first and second string are injured. So you will have to cut one more person if you wish to keep Rusty on your 53. Hopefully that makes sense.

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwoToneBlue wrote:

To keep Rusty, he would have to take up a roster spot. Being the emergency (3rd) QB allows him to be on the inactive list on game day with the opportunity to be active if the first and second string are injured. So you will have to cut one more person if you wish to keep Rusty on your 53. Hopefully that makes sense.

I thought emergency QBs were allowed to be an exception. My bad, I guess.
TwoToneBlue

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanLegend wrote:
TwoToneBlue wrote:

I thought emergency QBs were allowed to be an exception. My bad, I guess.

53 on the roster

45 allowed to be active for a game any given week

53-45= 8 inactives

The 3rd QB is allowed to be considered inactive, but still must be a part of the overall roster of 53.

Adopt-A-Titan:
1) Dexter McCluster RB/WR -- 9 CAR 29 YDS, 1 REC 17 YDS
2) Sammie Hill NT -- 2 TCK 1 SCK
Dionysus

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a fair chance that Jaime Harper will still be on the roster this year. I know Reynaud is listed as a RB, but he'll mainly take over returns, which makes Mariani the odd man out. For the sake of trying to be positive, I'm hoping Harper can redeem himself and show some of his worth. He's going into his 3rd season, and he's yet to impress anybody with anything. He was supposed to be our power runner, but IMO he has little to no power at all. He's a big RB that runs more like a scat-back. I've said this before when I viewed his college game footage. He's quick and shift, and has very good hands out of the backfield. Unbeknownst to me at the time, he also ran in the mid 4.4s at top speed, averaging a 40 time of 4.53. For a guy his size (230 lbs.), that's pretty impressive to me. With Shonn Greene taking over the smash-mouth running, we need to find a way to utilize Harper's skills in this offense now that we seem to finally have our O-line in tact. My suggestion for Harper is to lose all of that baby fat bulging out of the back of his britches, and tone down to a leaner frame. Then do some strength training to try to run with some power as well. He'll collide with defenders, but there's not a lot of "thump" behind it. If we can take advantage of his athleticism, that would really be a big asset to us. He could add more to offense's arsenal. Maybe the new RB coach can get it out of him instead of just throwing him away.
s_camp

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
There's a fair chance that Jaime Harper will still be on the roster this year. I know Reynaud is listed as a RB, but he'll mainly take over returns, which makes Mariani the odd man out. For the sake of trying to be positive, I'm hoping Harper can redeem himself and show some of his worth. He's going into his 3rd season, and he's yet to impress anybody with anything. He was supposed to be our power runner, but IMO he has little to no power at all. He's a big RB that runs more like a scat-back. I've said this before when I viewed his college game footage. He's quick and shift, and has very good hands out of the backfield. Unbeknownst to me at the time, he also ran in the mid 4.4s at top speed, averaging a 40 time of 4.53. For a guy his size (230 lbs.), that's pretty impressive to me. With Shonn Greene taking over the smash-mouth running, we need to find a way to utilize Harper's skills in this offense now that we seem to finally have our O-line in tact. My suggestion for Harper is to lose all of that baby fat bulging out of the back of his britches, and tone down to a leaner frame. Then do some strength training to try to run with some power as well. He'll collide with defenders, but there's not a lot of "thump" behind it. If we can take advantage of his athleticism, that would really be a big asset to us. He could add more to offense's arsenal. Maybe the new RB coach can get it out of him instead of just throwing him away.

I doubt the guy played in the ACC and now the NFL all this time without being on at least a couple of decent strength programs. His issue is his running style. All the strength in the world won't help him run people over if he keeps running sideways.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s_camp wrote:
Dionysus wrote:

I doubt the guy played in the ACC and now the NFL all this time without being on at least a couple of decent strength programs. His issue is his running style. All the strength in the world won't help him run people over if he keeps running sideways.

True dat...but maybe he can hit them with a stiffarm or keep some drive in his legs to push and drag defenders once they latch on to him. I don't expect him to turn into Jerome Bettis or anything, but be a little harder to bring down after contact instead of just getting stopped cold. Of course he would also have to have a built-in attitude to run with that type of aggression.
s_camp

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
s_camp wrote:
Dionysus wrote:

True dat...but maybe he can hit them with a stiffarm or keep some drive in his legs to push and drag defenders once they latch on to him. I don't expect him to turn into Jerome Bettis or anything, but be a little harder to bring down after contact instead of just getting stopped cold. Of course he would also have to have a built-in attitude to run with that type of aggression.

Eh, I'm just not seeing the physical problem. I'm sure he can stiff arm as is, it's just useless because he runs parallel to the LoS. Either way, I think we agree that it would really be nice for him to get it together and become a contributor.
DannyWallace

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why no one thinks Keyunta Dawson isn't going to make this team. He actually looked pretty good before his injury last year and he's the prototypical Titans defensive-end with a high motor and relentless pressure. Not to mention, we didn't re-sign him for no reason. Clearly our coaching staff believe he has the ability to be part of our rotation at DE and they were vocal about that in all off-season. I just can't wrap my head around all these people thinking Scott Solomon and a late round draft pick are locks to make this roster and Dawson isn't.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyWallace wrote:
I don't know why no one thinks Keyunta Dawson isn't going to make this team. He actually looked pretty good before his injury last year and he's the prototypical Titans defensive-end with a high motor and relentless pressure. Not to mention, we didn't re-sign him for no reason. Clearly our coaching staff believe he has the ability to be part of our rotation at DE and they were vocal about that in all off-season. I just can't wrap my head around all these people thinking Scott Solomon and a late round draft pick are locks to make this roster and Dawson isn't.

Don't let it get to you man. I understand how you feel, and I happen to agree you on that point. I believe it's because he's a lower depth player and would be considered the odd man out if the DE position got too crowded. When we signed him, he was cropped in with a group of hopefuls who turned out to be nothing more than bodies for training camp and the PS. But I think he showed enough in the time he played to keep him a spot in the rotation.
I like Solomon as well. He has that high motor with good hustle like KVB, but he still needs some polish in his technique to be more effective. Maybe he can step up this offseason and earn himself a spot. But if we signed Freeney or Abraham, I believe Solomon would be the one put on the PS.

Iceman88

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dionysus wrote:
DannyWallace wrote:

Don't let it get to you man. I understand how you feel, and I happen to agree you on that point. I believe it's because he's a lower depth player and would be considered the odd man out if the DE position got too crowded. When we signed him, he was cropped in with a group of hopefuls who turned out to be nothing more than bodies for training camp and the PS. But I think he showed enough in the time he played to keep him a spot in the rotation.
I like Solomon as well. He has that high motor with good hustle like KVB, but he still needs some polish in his technique to be more effective. Maybe he can step up this offseason and earn himself a spot. But if we signed Freeney or Abraham, I believe Solomon would be the one put on the PS.

Its because it does not matter what you show in the pre-season its about what you in season. Look back at Pannel Egboh, everyone was raving about him and that he would be a solid rotational player for us, how long did that last? If we sign a vet, they will likely make the team and Lavar Edwards will be on the roster so the question remains how many DEs will we carry? I would think 4, and if we go with 5 I would assume it would be Solomon. I am willing to give Dawson a chance, but if he doesn't have a stellar pre-season can you really give him a chance over all individuals mentioned above. You also mention that everyone says about late draft picks are locks, well why wouldn't they be more of a lock than a camp body? And which of these late picks would you get rid of? Stafford is the only draft pick that I think will be a PS player.

Props to Kempes ^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: