Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should the Packers Look to Bring Back Woodson?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should TT re-sign Charles Woodson?
Yes, MD Jennings and Jerron McMillian can't be trusted as the only options at strong safety
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
No, Woodson would only take away from the development of McMillian
63%
 63%  [ 29 ]
Yes, but only during pre-season if our current safeties show they can't handle the job
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 46

Packerraymond

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Should the Packers Look to Bring Back Woodson? Reply with quote

Now that we know that Aaron's new deal still leaves us with over 10 million in cap space, would you call up Charles Woodson and offer him and incentive laden one year deal?

It's obvious that the Packers like what they have in McMillian, but we saw with Allen Barbre when the staff trusts a guy that just isn't ready to start. I think we should bring Charles in now rather than wait and see if McMillian fails. At worst you end up with a great locker room guy for a year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I truly believe his speed is gone to play in the secondary.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love woody & he was awesome during his tenure here... but hes done, he cant do what he used to anymore, & we have guys on this team that simply outperform him physically now to the point where Charles instincts still cant make up for the athletic gap that has formed

however i would have no problem bringing him in if we suffered bad luck with injuries this camp/pre-season & he was still on the market... but not as competition or in a starting role anymore

as a fan i feel bad for him that he didn't get to go out in style & that the league will probably force him into retirement base on lack of interest in the free agent market, but this is the harsh reality of aging veterans in this league

Last edited by driftwood on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't. I saw him play last season. I'd rather play a younger liability and hope it learns from it's mistakes than rely on one that will only get worse with time.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreatZepp wrote:
No, I truly believe his speed is gone to play in the secondary.

Pretty much this. At times it looked like he was running in sand out there. Sad but it happens.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
Jleisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would offer him a coaching type job, that is if nobody signs him.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, no. Sadly, everybody is at one point or another told they are no longer capable of playing. For Woodson the writing was on the wall in 2010 after his DPOY run, he was no longer an outside CB. Last year was just the final nail in the coffin.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodson was never particularly good at SS last year, when he played. He's a first ballot HoFer, but it was some combination of "lost a step or two" an "doesn't understand how to play safety in this defense."

If you were to resign him, he would probably get beat out on merit by Jennings or McMillan, which would be an awkward situation for everyone.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Woodson's got something left, the guy still has as much speed as a 25 year old MD Jennings at his age, and his instincts for the ball are above and beyond anyone not named Hayward in our secondary. I don't see any NFL future for Jennings, he's a 4th safety and ST player, so really we are looking at McMillian as our only legitimate option at SS. I'm fine with him there, but if he's not ready lookout, if your defense is weak at the back end, it makes an easy day for QB's, look what Mark Roman and Manuel caused us back there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he hit the wall and the Packers acted swiftly. We'd be better off to develop youngsters than dedicate any more time to people who are clearly on the downside. He was a great player, but his time has come to an end.
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jleisher wrote:
I would offer him a coaching type job, that is if nobody signs him.

Oh id love that bit of business, that theres a good idea i hope we can do something like that
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
I couldn't. I saw him play last season. I'd rather play a younger liability and hope it learns from it's mistakes than rely on one that will only get worse with time.

That's how I feel about Slowpoke...

That said, Woodson's been banged up every season and when he comes back, he just isn't the same. He really should just retire and be done with it. Game over dude...
driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

That's how I feel about Slowpoke...

That said, Woodson's been banged up every season and when he comes back, he just isn't the same. He really should just retire and be done with it. Game over dude...

sigh... you are the only one here who thinks Tramon is slow. what film are you watching?
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bring Charles back at 3 million for 1 year in a heartbeat. He could play 30 snaps a game and still make a contribution.
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He just can't cover anymore.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: