Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Looking Really Far Ahead: The 2014 Prospects Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Looking Really Far Ahead: The 2014 Prospects Thread Reply with quote

With the 2013 draft behind us I figured I could never be too early to look out to the 2014 draft. Our obvious needs seem to be wide reciever, left tackle, and inside linebacker across from Arthur Brown. Given that Michael Oher is a free agent right tackle could be a need as well. The same holds true with tight ends. Outside linebacker could be an issue should Terrell Suggs not return to form, and a long term answer is needed at free safety and at the five techniques. Given that my prospects to keep an eye on list is roughly 50 strong I can at this time only focus on first and second round guys for the most part. Some guys that I think coul be a fit either regarding need of playing style are as follows:

Anthony Barr

Kyle Van Noy

Stephon Tuitt
Malcolm Mitchell

Austin Hill
Kelvin Benjamin

Loucheiz Purifoy (my favorite prospect in the draft)

C.J. Fiedorowicz
Austin Sefarian-Jenkins
Colt Lyerla
Antonio Richardson
Sammy Watkins
Sean Price

Karlos Williams

Cody Hoffman
Allen Robinson
CJ Mosley
Ryan Shazier
Dri Archer
David Yankey
Shayne Skov

Founder of the Loucheiz Purifoy, Chris Young, Frank Clark, Sean Price,
Donte Moncrief, and Karlos Williams bandwagons.

Last edited by alfalcone on Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
hemm68

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers is a guy ill be keeping my eye on. Not sure what LTs or thumper ILBs yet.
NJ Raven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemm68 wrote:
Brandon Coleman WR Rutgers is a guy ill be keeping my eye on. Not sure what LTs or thumper ILBs yet.

I'm glad I'm not alone.
hemm68

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJ Raven wrote:
hemm68 wrote:

I'm glad I'm not alone.

Ya things may change but he's the only receiver in college ball that I like. For that thumper role I will prolly be watching A.J Johnson Tennessee along with their many lineman.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure we need a thumper linebacker. I don't really see that as a need. We've got some guys on the roster who should be able to excel. Obviously if good LBer value presents itself, I'm all for it. But I don't think it's a top two.. and maybe not even a top three round need.

I think our clear needs are obviously at LT and WR.

I think a 34 DE might also be a need in a similar manner to WR. I'm comfortable with the position, but a very talented value early in the draft would be what I find as nice selections.

Location: ----------------- Props to Jamison. on the dope signature!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Sammy Watkins.

That is all.

Make it happen Ozzie.

I'm sure SOME team will want to trade down to our #32 pick. Wink Cool
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much rather Marquis Lee... that guy is special. That said, while Watkins might have a shot at being within our range, Lee probably has no shot at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
I'm not sure we need a thumper linebacker. I don't really see that as a need. We've got some guys on the roster who should be able to excel. Obviously if good LBer value presents itself, I'm all for it. But I don't think it's a top two.. and maybe not even a top three round need.

I think a 34 DE might also be a need in a similar manner to WR. I'm comfortable with the position, but a very talented value early in the draft would be what I find as nice selections.

Depending how Juicecheck (not even gonna try) is used and the realities of the salary cap next season (if it remains flat again), TE could be a pseudo-need. I would assume we would resign Pitta at some point, but I could see us letting Dickson test the market.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

Depending how Juicecheck (not even gonna try) is used and the realities of the salary cap next season (if it remains flat again), TE could be a pseudo-need. I would assume we would resign Pitta at some point, but I could see us letting Dickson test the market.

I agree. Actually I think TE will be a need regardless. I mean, Leach should be entering the last year of his deal IIRC... and it definitely looks like Juice is going to be the heir apparent... a more athletic, smaller, but better handed version of LeRon McClain. Less dominant blocker, but versatile offensive weapon.

So assuming we resign Pitta and assuming we let Dickson walk, we'll probably still be in need of a blocking TE type. I think TE should be a need, but as long as we're able to retain Pitta, I don't think it should be anything more than a 2nd class, day three kind of need.

I think cornerback could also be a potential need depending on how Jimmy Smith and Chykie Brown look. We'll need one or the other to really shine- specifically Jimmy.

But I think no question, LT and WR are rounding out to be our two biggest pre-activity areas of concern.

Good thing next year looks like a decently deep LT class.

Taylor Lewan
James Hurst (LT/#68 )
Jake Matthews
Jack Mewhort (LT/#74)
Cornelius Lucas (LT/#78 )

Are all players I think can fit at LT. Lucas probably isn't as athletic and balanced as you like, but for a guy his size and with his length, he has the feet nimble enough to play on the left side. He just needs to really refine his technique, but he has the athleticism.

I really like what I saw from Mewhort. He's got the size to play LT. I like his athleticism, his tenacity, and he's decently strong. My only question with him will be his arm length/reach. I'm not sure how long his arms are, but they don't look to be anything more than average.

We probably won't have a shot at the top three OTs, but I really like what I've seen from all of them. Hopefully James Hurst gets pushed down the board and we can trade up to get him.

That said, I expect Hurst to rise up to the #2 OT and I think Jake Matthews will fall down to #3.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie went heavy on the small school guys this year, so here's a name to remember during the draft process for 2014...Larry Webster--DE/OLB/TE--Bloomsburg (PA).

--6'6" 240 pounds, runs in te 4.6-4.7 range
--named to several D2 All-America teams in his first season of collegiate football
--39 tackles, 15 TFL, 13.5 sacks, 1 Int, 1 FF, 1 FR
--also caight 2 TD passes on offense
--former college basketball player at Bloomsburg who was the Eastern Division POY in the PSAC his final season
--son of former Raven DT Larry Webster
--(shameless plug) attends my alma mater

He's a little raw and needs to bulk up, but could be a late 2nd day-early 3rd day gem.
DreamKid

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ifo Ekrpe-Olomu is one of the toughest corners I have ever seen, great instincts as well. From what I have seen so far, this a hard nosed crop of defensive players. The Ohio state trio of Shazier, Roby and Bryant are the start of that next wave of great Urban Meyer players. The amount of talent he recruits is insane at times, some of those Tebow teams were comically filled with future NFL starters.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

I agree. Actually I think TE will be a need regardless. I mean, Leach should be entering the last year of his deal IIRC... and it definitely looks like Juice is going to be the heir apparent... a more athletic, smaller, but better handed version of LeRon McClain. Less dominant blocker, but versatile offensive weapon.

So assuming we resign Pitta and assuming we let Dickson walk, we'll probably still be in need of a blocking TE type. I think TE should be a need, but as long as we're able to retain Pitta, I don't think it should be anything more than a 2nd class, day three kind of need.

I think cornerback could also be a potential need depending on how Jimmy Smith and Chykie Brown look. We'll need one or the other to really shine- specifically Jimmy.

But I think no question, LT and WR are rounding out to be our two biggest pre-activity areas of concern.

Good thing next year looks like a decently deep LT class.

Taylor Lewan
James Hurst (LT/#68 )
Jake Matthews
Jack Mewhort (LT/#74)
Cornelius Lucas (LT/#78 )

Are all players I think can fit at LT. Lucas probably isn't as athletic and balanced as you like, but for a guy his size and with his length, he has the feet nimble enough to play on the left side. He just needs to really refine his technique, but he has the athleticism.

I really like what I saw from Mewhort. He's got the size to play LT. I like his athleticism, his tenacity, and he's decently strong. My only question with him will be his arm length/reach. I'm not sure how long his arms are, but they don't look to be anything more than average.

We probably won't have a shot at the top three OTs, but I really like what I've seen from all of them. Hopefully James Hurst gets pushed down the board and we can trade up to get him.

That said, I expect Hurst to rise up to the #2 OT and I think Jake Matthews will fall down to #3.

I like Lucas a lot, I think he could develop into a Jared Gaither (when he's healthy and trying) type.

Chris Young out of Arizona State is another guy to keep an eye on.

Mike Evans, would be another guy I left off my original list.

Founder of the Loucheiz Purifoy, Chris Young, Frank Clark, Sean Price,
Donte Moncrief, and Karlos Williams bandwagons.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

I like Lucas a lot, I think he could develop into a Jared Gaither (when he's healthy and trying) type.

Chris Young out of Arizona State is another guy to keep an eye on.

Mike Evans, would be another guy I left off my original list.

Yeah, I definitely can see the Gaither comparison. I do think Gaither played with better balance though. I think Lucas is still pretty raw... and that might help him be a guy that could fall to us in the 1st/2nd round (wherever his value looks to be). I also would like him to keep his arms extended when blocking, I think for a length guy, he allows pass rushers to get into his frame too often.

If he can improve his technique, he's got a lot of potential.

In terms of Mike Evans... I wouldn't be against him... but he doesn't seem to fit the 'usual suspects' that Ozzie tends to target.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken an extensive look at 3 of the QBs so far, and this class is already far more intriguing. Teddy B. is top dog so far, he has a great arm, pocket awareness, not to mention he is battle tested. He does have some balls sail on him though, a fixable yet troublesome issue. He has sub par talent around him, so that needs to also be factored in. If he takes another step forward this year, I feel he is a lock to go at least top 3. I don't think he will declare though, I see him staying for his senior season. I would still choose Jadeveon over him, I don't see Teddy as a Super Bowl quarterback. I'm a big believer in if you take a QB in the 1st he has to be super bowl caliber, and I don't quite see that. To cite a reference if I was Carolina years back I would not have selected Cam, I would've gone for AJ , Von, or a trade down. Cams never going to win a SB, and they could have added key components for a championship caliber team. That way when a real single caller pops up like a Luck, or even a later round steal in Wilson or Brees. You have a team ready to contend, with a much higher chance of success.

Brett Hundley is the next guy I took a look at, and coincidentally enough he reminds me of Cam greatly. Big arm, natural thrower, and a smooth athlete. His running style even reminds me of Newtons, though Hundley is less powerful. Brett still has maturing to do as a player though, he is not as refined as Teddy. I also don't see him coming out this year, very rarely do you see red shirt sophomore QBs come out. Brett would benefit from staying a couple more years anyway.

David Fales is the third, and right away something jumps out at you about his game. David is very adept at throwing the back shoulder fade, something you never see out of college QBs. Maybe he developed it because his arm is on the weaker side but, it was very cool to watch. I see him being a 2nd to 3rd round guy, unless he blows up the Senior Bowl I see his arm holding him back a round or two.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: