Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How this OL will shake out? - Predict our OL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I can't see it. The slight lean Barclay might bring ya over EDS would not be worth pulling Lang from one of the guard spots. Maybe down the road if ya have something a little better in line at RT. Even though I feel Barclay's a natural guard at the pro level I'm not real sure I could move him from that RT spot right now. LIS above, would not shock me one bit if Barclay was the week1 starting RT. You can give him help in pro if you feel good about the others and it's not as if all the RT prospects in this group don't have their issues. It's more so about picking the issues you can deal with. Not real sure I can come up with a combo that EDS would not be in my week1 best 5 though, to tell the truth. Nothing real sexy about EDS but I would just about bet the farm he grades better than our starting RT this year.

Interesting take.

Only reason I like Lang at C is he is familiar with our scheme and under contract. But from what you've added in this thread and the other OL thread going on right now, I'm starting to get real excited about this new OL setup.

From what I've gathered on this site, and from a few other articles...

Bulaga- He gives us a great anchor at LT who will have above average push against the fast DE's, but might be a little slow against those same DE's. In this situation, he is still a good bit better in pass pro than Newhouse. So we improve run blocking and pass blocking with this move. It also gives us a clear cut starter at the position.

Sitton- He has a huge anchor and that will serve him well at the LG spot. He might lack a little drive though, but his strength should make that a moot point on the left side, whereas it may have been a concern on the right side.

Lang- Lang has excellent drive skills, and can really benefit from being on the right. He might have trouble against some of the best DTs in the league and get pushed back, but Rodgers will see them in front of him then instead of having to look over his shoulder.

All in all, if Barclay wins the RT job, we can expect a nasty line this year. We have our two "weaker" lineman on the right where Rodgers can better sense pressure, and our run blocking improves at every spot with the flips. LT and LG are now stronger than their competition for the most part, and RG and RT have excellent drive skills.

Then, Sherrod and Newhouse can give us superior depth at OT, and Sherrod will be finally given the chance to learn the position the way he needs to. He could still be our future LT.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
palmy50

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have little doubt this will be the best run blocking unit the Packers have put out there in some time. Don't sell EDS short in that thing either. His drive skills were below average for what you want to see at guard. But he might be the best in this area the Packers have put on the field at center since Spitz got his look years back.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't imagine Rodgers with a run game. That man is gonna be even deadlier when you've got to check the PA fake!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
I just can't imagine Rodgers with a run game. That man is gonna be even deadlier when you've got to check the PA fake!
All this talk of run blocking has me worried about the pass pro...
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The play-action game last year sure was a tough thing to watch. High hopes right now for sure.

Bet Kuhn's game comes back around now that they won't be asking him to pull 20 fits a game as well. Kuhn's blocking was anything but top shelf last year.

Going to be fun watching this all play out. Just hope Mac has seen the light!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

Nothing helps in pass pro more than a good run game my friend!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Bet Kuhn's game comes back around now that they won't be asking him to pull 20 fits a game as well. Kuhn's blocking was anything but top shelf last year.

I've wondered for a while how much of Kuhn's struggles last year were due to his late 2011 knee injury vs natural regression.

I guess we'll see this year. Either the FB is being phased out or they're comfortable with him doing most of the job himself.
Pick6byWoodson

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
The play-action game last year sure was a tough thing to watch. High hopes right now for sure.

Do you think Kuhn is a lock to make the team?
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick6byWoodson wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Do you think Kuhn is a lock to make the team?

I think there is still a good chance he will. But I would not use the word "lock" at this point, no. The thing that has made him a "lock" in the past from my POV is his ability to play Mac's single back set. With the bodies the Packers should now have in camp Kuhn needs to come to work. Good chance he will though and he is still one of the better ST's players on this roster.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With what you've said Palmy what about Khun actually run blocking a bit more? Considering our new investment at tailback would it not make sense to have a good FB in Kuhn on our roster?

If I remember towards the end of last year the O was doing a tad bit more pull blocking at the POA. IIRC EDS pulled a number of times late in the season, which leads me to believe MM may be looking to throw a wrinkle into our zone blocking scheme. Maybe we pull the odd lineman and actually have our FB block for the run. I sure hope MM has changed his point of view on the run game from that of his usual volume carries comment to that of getting actual yardage.
strat1080

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

Yeah no kidding. Its not like pass pro was great last year. Rodgers was the most sacked QB in the NFL. Because teams could tee off on him all game long due to a very anemic run game.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PACKRULE wrote:
With what you've said Palmy what about Khun actually run blocking a bit more? Considering our new investment at tailback would it not make sense to have a good FB in Kuhn on our roster?

If I remember towards the end of last year the O was doing a tad bit more pull blocking at the POA. IIRC EDS pulled a number of times late in the season, which leads me to believe MM may be looking to throw a wrinkle into our zone blocking scheme. Maybe we pull the odd lineman and actually have our FB block for the run. I sure hope MM has changed his point of view on the run game from that of his usual volume carries comment to that of getting actual yardage.

I'm sure Kuhn will be a little better in this area with a little less on his table. Problem is, Kuhn has NEVER been a high grade run blocker. Just a guy in this area to tell the truth. The value in Kuhn has always been the sum of all his parts. Very good chance Kuhn will have a spot until one of them takes his spot on the teams unit though. Might even be the Texas FB they signed after the draft. I did not love him as a FB prospect but the kids one hell of a ST's player!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I'm sure Kuhn will be a little better in this area with a little less on his table. Problem is, Kuhn has NEVER been a high grade run blocker. Just a guy in this area to tell the truth. The value in Kuhn has always been the sum of all his parts. Very good chance Kuhn will have a spot until one of them takes his spot on the teams unit though. Might even be the Texas FB they signed after the draft. I did not love him as a FB prospect but the kids one hell of a ST's player!

Roberson I think. UDFA's still aren't quite official.
2Bigby0

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A running game alone will improve our pass protection on its own. We scrapped the running game early and often in a lot of games last year. Teams pinned their ears back and employed all pass rushers along the defensive front. The running game will vastly improve our PA game as well as tire out the defense.

I'm largely in favor of these O Line moves. It easily gives us the best run blocking unit we have had in some time. We have depth and competition. I expect a much improved line play this year.
ayt

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:

Was thinking the same thing. Many of AR's "struggles" have come because of how the defense can play against us due to our lack of a running threat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: