Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How this OL will shake out? - Predict our OL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
The thing I didn't understand then and still don't understand now is why the hell Sherrod was on the right side to begin with. When we played in Atlanta, Newhouse was the starting RT with Bulaga out. When Cliffy went down with that hammy injury they flipped Newhouse to LT and Sherrod to RT. WTF for? We all knew all along that Sherrod was the future at LT and Bulaga at RT. Don't mess with Sherrod's feet! Don't try to make Sherrod something he's not. And to Palmy's point about the pins in his leg, I read somewhere that he had a 2nd surgery and now he is pain free, makes sense now!

I'm sure they felt Newhouse was a good bit more ready for LT play than Sherrod was at that point with the CBA thing and all. Sure did not take them long to see Sherrod had no clue how to play RT though. Go watch him on the play he got hurt! Poor kid looked lost out there and damn near lost a leg because of it. It happens and I don't blame anyone. But a tough thing to watch either way.
I just never understood it. Newhouse at LT is average at best. Sherrod was the same way as a rookie, Newhouse was an average RT and Sherrod CLEARLY was not! The line would have been better with Sherrod sticking at LT. As a guy who flipped around on the O-line, I was born a LT and really never got used to my RT sets. I can't imagine trying to flip for the first time at the NFL level, gotta be almost impossible.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
The thing I didn't understand then and still don't understand now is why the hell Sherrod was on the right side to begin with. When we played in Atlanta, Newhouse was the starting RT with Bulaga out. When Cliffy went down with that hammy injury they flipped Newhouse to LT and Sherrod to RT. WTF for? We all knew all along that Sherrod was the future at LT and Bulaga at RT. Don't mess with Sherrod's feet! Don't try to make Sherrod something he's not. And to Palmy's point about the pins in his leg, I read somewhere that he had a 2nd surgery and now he is pain free, makes sense now!

I'm sure they felt Newhouse was a good bit more ready for LT play than Sherrod was at that point with the CBA thing and all. Sure did not take them long to see Sherrod had no clue how to play RT though. Go watch him on the play he got hurt! Poor kid looked lost out there and damn near lost a leg because of it. It happens and I don't blame anyone. But a tough thing to watch either way.
I just never understood it. Newhouse at LT is average at best. Sherrod was the same way as a rookie, Newhouse was an average RT and Sherrod CLEARLY was not! The line would have been better with Sherrod sticking at LT. As a guy who flipped around on the O-line, I was born a LT and really never got used to my RT sets. I can't imagine trying to flip for the first time at the NFL level, gotta be almost impossible.

Big difference between getting beat and beating yourself. Newhouse gets beat out there from time to time. But he is not going to have a mental lapse and get Rodgers killed. I agree with you that they at some level did Sherrod wrong. But I understand why they did it and by no means blame the injury on them.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

Big difference between getting beat and beating yourself. Newhouse gets beat out there from time to time. But he is not going to have a mental lapse and get Rodgers killed. I agree with you that they at some level did Sherrod wrong. But I understand why they did it and by no means blame the injury on them.
Yeah, not at all saying I know better than them, that's not the case. They did the exact same thing with Bulaga and won a Super Bowl on it! Just sayin, I remember being against it at the time and hindsight is 20/20 but I still wish they wouldn't have ever moved him. Maybe if they kept Sherrod at LT we are talking about Rodgers coming off a big injury, I doubt it but it's possible. I hope like hell Sherrod can come back this year and get some snaps in! I feel bad for the guy, and I don't like our chances if we roll out with Newhouse at LT again.
blankman0021

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Prediction:

Bulaga - Sitton - EDS - Lang - Newhouse

Laughing

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
GreenReign

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT Bulaga
LG Sitton
C EDS
RG Lang
RT Sharrod / Barclay (whoever wins the job)

I still think we need an upgrade at center as EDS is best utilized as a swing player. I also expect Sharrod to be given every opportunity to win the RT job in training camp.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing my prediction to Bulaga-Sitton-EDS-Lang-Barclay for Week 1. I doubt Tretter can learn all you need to know about the starting C position his first year. Bahktiari has a shot at RT the longer the year gets, IMO.
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I feel there is a very high probability that's the week1 starters. It's going to be fun watching that RT battle play out. Barclay has the least amount of god given talent of all the tackle prospects. But he sure as hell has it all between the ears and his style of play is a match as well. Not sure if he could hold that spot for long. But good chance this staff wants to give him his look. Not going to lie though. There is a part of me that hopes one of the others takes it and they develop Barclay at guard.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going with Newhouse at RT, just think that the starting experience will play in his favor.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kampman74 wrote:
I am going with Newhouse at RT, just think that the starting experience will play in his favor.

I'll say this, one could make a strong case that Newhouse has the most upside of the possible RT's. His god given set would be right there with Sherrod in terms of what they could be at RT. Sherrod's high hips is a genuine body flaw at RT. If you could just put Barclay's head on Newhouse's shoulders. Might make an All-Pro if ya could!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

I'll say this, one could make a strong case that Newhouse has the most upside of the possible RT's. His god given set would be right there with Sherrod in terms of what they could be at RT. Sherrod's high hips is a genuine body flaw at RT. If you could just put Barclay's head on Newhouse's shoulders. Might make an All-Pro if ya could!

Barclay has a 29" vert to Newhouse's 25". Barclay has a little power in his body that Newhouse maybe doesn't. I know you say Newhouse lacks attitude and that affects his game, but maybe he lacks that explosion to get movement and that's a part of it.

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!
boratt

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barclay could be tipping the scales at 310 with a 30" vert if he had a good offseason. That's a powerful body, similar to what you find in top 15 OL.

I like Barclay because he seems to lock on his guy as a run blocker and he has the explosion numbers that makes me think he could create movement in the run game. Newhouse has never really been able to do that, prototype length/body type or not, he just hasn't been able to move anyone or really lock on either. Pass pro, I like Newhouse A LOT, I just don't like his run blocking.

sig courtesy of BrettFavre004. THANKS!!
squire12

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanted to pose a question in a hypothetical sense regarding the OL shakeout.

Lets say:
Bulaga holds down the LT spot for this TC and season.
Sitton is the LG
EDS is the C
Lang is RG
Barclay wins the TC battle over Sherrod and Newhouse. Sherrod shows improvement from his injury to warrant the backup tackle for both LT and RT, in addition to Bak.

Does this make Newhouse tradable in the later stages of TC? What type of trade value for someone that has a few years of starting LT experience (something like 30+ games including a few playoff games)? Conditional mid round 3-5 range pending playing time and other criteria.

OL of Bulaga-Sitton-EDS-Lang-Barclay
Sherrod and Bak as backup T's, Tretter and VanRotten/Lewis as backup on the interior
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boratt wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

Barclay has a 29" vert to Newhouse's 25". Barclay has a little power in his body that Newhouse maybe doesn't. I know you say Newhouse lacks attitude and that affects his game, but maybe he lacks that explosion to get movement and that's a part of it.

I would not tell you that Newhouse has the same drive skills as a Barclay though either.

LIS, I would love to see Barclay develop inside and feel he is very nice prospect in this area. Fact is a HUGE part on run blocking is attitude. One that Newhouse lacks in a big way. I'm not saying that Newhouse's high bar in this area is as high as Barclay's is. I'm saying that if you could get him to reach his high bar in this area you would have a damn solid RT on your hands. Barclay is a very mechanical athlete and because of this he is always going to need help in pass pro at tackle. Barclay also lacks Newhouse's feet and anchor. The main difference there is clearly the short area movement skills at scale though. From a movement POV, Newhouse is just a hair below what you would want to see at LT but elite inside and high end at RT.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
boratt wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Kampman74 wrote:

I would not tell you that Newhouse has the same drive skills as a Barclay though either.

LIS, I would love to see Barclay develop inside and feel he is very nice prospect in this area. Fact is a HUGE part on run blocking is attitude. One that Newhouse lacks in a big way. I'm not saying that Newhouse's high bar in this area is as high as Barclay's is. I'm saying that if you could get him to reach his high bar in this area you would have a damn solid RT on your hands. Barclay is a very mechanical athlete and because of this he is always going to need help in pass pro at tackle. Barclay also lacks Newhouse's feet and anchor. The main difference there is clearly the short area movement skills at scale though. From a movement POV, Newhouse is just a hair below what you would want to see at LT but elite inside and high end at RT.

Any chance we'd see a line of:

Bulaga - Sitton - Lang - Barclay - Newhouse

If they can learn their roles, that might be the best 5 right there.

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
palmy50

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it. The slight lean Barclay might bring ya over EDS would not be worth pulling Lang from one of the guard spots. Maybe down the road if ya have something a little better in line at RT. Even though I feel Barclay's a natural guard at the pro level I'm not real sure I could move him from that RT spot right now. LIS above, would not shock me one bit if Barclay was the week1 starting RT. You can give him help in pro if you feel good about the others and it's not as if all the RT prospects in this group don't have their issues. It's more so about picking the issues you can deal with. Not real sure I can come up with a combo that EDS would not be in my week1 best 5 though, to tell the truth. Nothing real sexy about EDS but I would just about bet the farm he grades better than our starting RT this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: