Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How this OL will shake out? - Predict our OL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blankman0021

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: How this OL will shake out? - Predict our OL Reply with quote

I was just watching the MM presser on the draft weekend.

Lots of good OL info in that 18Min that is up on Packers.com.

A little tidbit to take from it was that he specifically mentioned that TJ Lang can play center (when speaking on the versatility of this line). He didn't say TJ would be our starting center, but he could have mentioned that he can play tackle in addition to guard, yet he said center instead.

This could either be him tipping his hand, or it could be a matter of fact statement. Either way, it is very interesting to predict where this OL will go.

Tackle Candidates:

1. Bryan Bulaga (T)
News: During the presser, MM mentioned that he is back in the facility and it sounds like he is all set to go for TC. Will be be a LT? MM says that they have discussed this, but have not made any decisions and are waiting to see what kind of players they have to work with from the draft class.
Prediction: He will be one of our starting tackles this season barring injury setback.

2. Derek Sherrod (T)
News: MM broke the news that Sherrod had a second surgery after the season. Apparently he is doing much better now, but his timetable to being 100% is still not clearly defined. He could be ready for TC, but is not a lock at this point. If he is not, I expect Bulaga to move to LT. This staff does not play around with the OL much. They will typically roll with the line they establish in TC and the early preseaon. Reps are huge to the coaches and if you cannot go by early preseason, you should prepare to spend the year on the bench as a reserve.
Prediction: Sherrod will be the backup LT to Bulaga. I have a sneaking suspciion that he will not be ready for Camp. I think this staff wants to give Sherrod every chance to earn that spot, but if he is not ready early in this process they might be forced to move Bulaga.

3. Marshall Newhouse (T/G)
News: There hasn't been much talk on Newhouse. One must assume that he is being looked at as a key backup to both T spots, and the first man off the bench if they need a 6th OL. It will be interesting to see if Sherrod is not ready in time if Newhouse or Barclay will get the starting nod. Newhouse at LT or RT, and Barclay at RT if Bulaga is shifted.
Prediction: I think Newhouse has a very good chance to start again this season, but not at LT. If Sherrod is not ready to go and Bulaga is shifted to the LT position, it will open a large gap at RT and the competition will be fierce between our draft choices, Newhouse, Barclay, Datko, and possibly Lang.

4. Don Barclay (T/G)
News: Barclay ended last year as our starting RT due to injury. This gave him invaluable reps at the spot, and he came through when we needed him. With our team seemingly putting more emphasis on the running game, it would not be shocking to see Barclay start at RT given his excellent run blocking skills. His pass blocking has much to be desired though, and he was given blocking help a lot last season on the right side. Newhouse on the other hand has excellent feet and would be a better pass blocker on the right side. Newhouse leaves much to be desired in the running game though.
Prediction: I believe that with the line shaping the way it is so far, Barclay has a very good chance to start at RT this season. If we are truly committed to the running game, Barclay and Bulaga would give us the best combo on the outside to make that happen.

5. Andrew Datko (T)
News: Datko was on the practice squad last year. This gives him an advantage with the playbook over our rookies. Clearly we saw something in him last year, otherwise we would not have signed him to our practice squad after final cuts.
Prediction: I am not as hopeful as most with Datko. I think he is either destined for another year on the PS to help get his upper body strength up, or he will be cut from this roster. We just don't have the room right now on the OL after adding two picks there. Especially at Tackle where we traditionally do not go 5 deep anyways.

6. David Bakhtiari (T/G)
News: Bakhtiari has been described by Mayock as a RT with LT feet. He also mentioned that he could play inside because he is a tough kid. I think this translates to four out of the 5 spots on the line for us, with Tackle or LG being the positions that are possibly available (I'll get to these predictions more later).
Prediction: I have a sneaking suspicion that Bakhtiari has a good chance to play a lot this year. If he starts, it will either be at LG with Lang starting elsewhere, or at RT. I don't think he is a center prospect, but who knows.

Guard/Center Candidates:

1. Evan Dietrich-Smith (C)
News: EDS ended last season as our starting center and nothing has been done to make me think otherwise since then. Tretter, Garth Gerhart, Patrick Lewis, and Van Rotten will be his main competition.
Prediction: I believe that EDS will be our starting Center barring a move by TJ Lang there.

2. TJ Lang (G/T/C)
News: It was interesting that MM mentioned that Lang could play C on this team in his latest press conference. We'll find out if there is any chance he moves to C this year. If he can play there, it would give us our best OL.
Prediction: I think that this piece of news could be very significant, or completely wortheless. I know that clears a lot up. Laughing
I think when it is all said and done, he'll be playing LG for us this year and EDS will start at C. But I sure hope I'm wrong. He would look very good at C on this team if he can handle the line calls.

3. Josh Sitton (RG)
News: None. Sitton will be our RG.
Prediction: See above. Sitton has been a rock on our OL and there is no reason to think he won't play RG for us next year. he is really the only lock at a position this OL has. With Bulaga's position in flux, it really opens up LT (Newhouse will not start here week 1), LG (lang to RT), C (EDS leaves some to be desired), and RT (if Bulaga shifts to LT).

4. Greg Van Rotten (G/C)
News: Good interior swing man who knows our playbook. Not much out there on him, he'll have a tough time making this roster after we drafted 2 OL in the draft. His best spot to make the team is at C where I'm sure he'll compete with EDS this camp.
Prediction: He is hard to predict, he'll either start for this club at C (not very likely), or he has a good chance at being cut. Barclay can play G, and if we keep a C only prospect behind EDS Van Rotten may be the odd man out. I bet he wishes he had game time like Barclay last year.

5. J.C. Tretter (G/C)
News: Tretter is a RAW kid. From what I've heard he is smart, athletic, and very versatile. Both him and Bakhtiari are listed at 6'4" on NFL.com and are both very athletic picks. Tretter is just another in a line of picks this year that are aimed at improving the physicality of our team. From what I've heard, Tretter can play anywhere on the OL. He played TE and LT at Cornell, but is projected inside at this level.
Prediction: Tretter has only played Tackle for the last 20 months. He is extremely raw, but very athletically gifted. Look for him to compete at Guard and Center this training camp. I don't think he will beat out EDS this year, but may project to starting center the next year after EDS's contract is up.

6. There are other line prospects obviously, however I'm not sure I expect any of them to make the team. Some have a chance at reserve G/C, or even as starting C if they impress. But traditionally we only go with 9 or fewer OL. I have already listed 5 interior guys and 6 tackle prospects.

MY OL Predictions:

LT: Bulaga / Sherrod
LG: Lang / Tretter
C: EDS
RG: Sitton / Bakhtiari
RT: Barclay / Newhouse

PS: Van Rotten (eligible?) / Datko / Lewis

My hopeful line (but I don't think it will happen):

LT: Sherrod / Newhouse
LG: Bakhtiari / Tretter
C: Lang / EDS
RG: Sitton
RT: Bulaga / Barclay

PS: Same

The Doctor wrote:
ALLONS-Y, ALONSO!
driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How this OL will shake out? - Predict our OL Reply with quote

blankman0021 wrote:

MY OL Predictions:

LT: Sherrod / Newhouse
LG: Bakhtiari / Tretter
C: Lang / EDS

I think you have the final OL roster correct... but I still think the depth chart looks like this come week 1

LT: Sherrod (assuming healthy) / Newhouse
LG: Lang / Bakhtiari
C: EDS (with Lang being the secondary option)
RG: Sitton / Tretter

although barclay, tretter, & bakhtiari are all capable swingmen in this line

as much as MM wants his guys to be able to play multiple positions I still think he wants continuity in his starting 5 more

i think Tretter is the only one who possibly doesn't make the roster (& would surely get PS'ed if he shows some ability over the preseason)... that move would probably be a #'s thing since i don't know if MM would keep 9 OL on his 53... but it all depends on the early season health of Sherrod/Bulaga

Last edited by driftwood on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newhouse is a Tackle only. That's the way he sees himself, that's the way he plays. Also, if we were going to move Lang to C, we'd have done it during the musical OL period last year. Although I think we'll only use 8 OL, if we used 9 the more likely set would be:

LT: Sherrod Newhouse
LG: Lang Barclay
C: EDS Tretter
RT: Bulaga Bakhtiari

Likely out in that group is Barclay.

Last edited by HyponGrey on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
McThreadski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it as Bulaga-Lang-EDS-Sitton-Barclay for a starting line. IF Sherrod can play, I would sub him for Bulaga and then have Bulaga stay at RT.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are roster spots for Sherrod, Lang, EDS, Sitton, Bulaga, Newhouse, Bakhtiari, and Tretter. Keeping nine OL is more likely than keeping ten (but keeping ten is possible) so Datko, GVR, and Barclay are competing for 1-2 spots.

I expect the starting line to be Sherrod, Lang, EDS, Sitton, and Bulaga.

The interesting thing is "who are your game day actives" which will really come down to camp. I expect Tretter to get a redshirt year though (he's your C of the future 2-3 years from now.)
driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:

I wouldn't even rule out the possibility of Newhouse being the odd man out (or becoming trade bait) if both Bakhtiari & Tretter have great offseasons

lets be real here, if Tretter or Bakhtiari show anything remotely close to what Newhouse is capable of why would TT have a reason to keep Newhouse?

especially if Sherrod is finally healthy to go

I mean TT certainly isn't going to cut one of his newly drafted OL if they are outperforming one of the older guys... & he wont risk trying to PS them if he knows they wont make it past waivers

I just cant see them giving up on Barclay after his encouraging play last year unless he regresses this year for some crazy reason

Last edited by driftwood on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT Sherrod
LG Lang
C EDS
RG Sitton
RT Bulaga

OT Newhouse
OT/OG Bahktiari
OT/OG Barclay
OG/C Trenner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

I wouldn't even rule out the possibility of Newhouse being the odd man out (or becoming trade bait) if both Bakhtiari & Tretter have great offseasons

lets be real here, if Tretter or Bakhtiari show anything remotely close to what Newhouse is capable of why would TT have a reason to keep Newhouse?

I mean TT certainly isn't going to cut one of his newly drafted OL if they are outperforming one of the older guys... & he wont risk trying to PS them if he knows they wont make it past waivers

I just cant see them giving up on Barclay after his encouraging play last year unless he regresses this year for some crazy reason

You have to think that Newhouse would be a keeper. He's only 24 and has had plenty of starts to show that he can at least contribute. I hope the new guys do well, but I am willing to bet at least one of them could be stashed on the PS. Sherrod may start the season healthy, but I think I would hedge my bets for at least one year and keep Newhouse around.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

Regresses? Barclay didn't really do well last year. He was great for a rookie UDFA, but I don't think he'll ever be more than serviceable at Tackle, and only on the right side (though he does have a future at Guard)

As for Newhouse, while I agree he's the weak link, experience sets him apart. Sherrod is essentially a rookie, Bakhtiari actually is a rookie, and I don't remember ever seeing Bulaga on the left side in the pros before. Plus, nobody is trading for an "underwhelming" Tackle in a contract year, even if he does play blindside.

Last edited by HyponGrey on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitton, Bulaga, Lang, Sherrod, Newhouse and EDS are the only true locks in my eyes. We are likely going to carry between 7 to 9 offensive lineman, so at a minimum of 1 spots are going to lineman, so positional versatility is at a premium. That's why I think David Bahktiari is a near lock to make it barring a horrid camp. That puts the Packers at 7.

That means Barclay, Datko, Van Roten, and Tretter are likely fighting for the last spot or two. I'd imagine Tretter gets one with a decent camp, and then either Barclay or Datko win that final tackle spot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:

Newhouse is most likely to be the odd man out, not because he's bad, but because he's tradeable. Most NFL teams would like to have that guy somewhere on their bench. You can't trade Datko, Barclay, or GVR for anything more than two dozen grapes, but you could probably recoup an asset for Newhouse.

Whether or not he's expendable comes down to how Bakhtiari looks, since Tretter shouldn't spend a single snap on the outside in the NFL. He's a G/C (ideally C, but he needs time to master the mental aspect of the game.)

CWood21 wrote:
We are likely going to carry between 7 to 9 offensive lineman

I can't see any way they keep 7 (and I think 8 is unlikely). The whole reason they kept 7 last year was because the depth was absolutely terrible (guys like Herb Taylor didn't deserve roster spots) and they had expected Sherrod to come off of PUP putting them at 8. They went to 8 quickly when they added GVR, so I think having 8 OL on the roster is the minimum, with 9 likely and 10 possible.

I think the Packer's plan with Tretter is to treat him like the Vikings treated Birk (as prospects they're extremely similar). Draft a smart guy with physical tools who projects inside in the NFL and let him master the mental aspect of the game and he'll start for 10 years. So I think the only way he doesn't make the team is if he doesn't make progress in the classroom, what he does on the field this year is sort of irrelevant.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage on Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
McThreadski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
driftwood wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

Regresses? Barclay didn't really do well last year. He was great for a rookie UDFA, but I don't think he'll ever be more than serviceable at Tackle, and only on the right side (though he does have a future at Guard)

As for Newhouse, while I agree he's the weak link, experience sets him apart. Sherrod is essentially a rookie, Bakhtiari actually is a rookie, and I don't remember ever seeing Bulaga on the left side in the pros before. Plus, nobody is trading for an "underwhelming" Tackle in a contract year, even if he does play blindside.

Assuming Sherrod isn't ready to start week one, would you rather slide Bulaga over to LT and keep Barclay at RT to help out the new RB's or go back to Newhouse at LT and put Bulaga back at RT?
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
driftwood wrote:

Newhouse is most likely to be the odd man out, not because he's bad, but because he's tradeable. Most NFL teams would like to have that guy somewhere on their bench. You can't trade Datko, Barclay, or GVR for anything more than two dozen grapes, but you could probably recoup an asset for Newhouse.

Whether or not he's expendable comes down to how Bakhtiari looks, since Tretter shouldn't spend a single snap on the outside in the NFL. He's a G/C (ideally C, but he needs time to master the mental aspect of the game.)
With him in his contract year, we'd only be able to nab a 7th for him, if that. If he had 2 more years I'd say "Yeah, let's trade him, we can pick up a 5th or possibly even a 4th"
driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly its so hard to tell right now without seeing Tretter & Bakhtiari in action

there are so many ways this could unfold pending on how bulaga & sherrod progress from the injuries...

the OL as a whole outside of Sitton is going to be one giant camp battle for starting positions

now assuming everyone's healthy Bulaga & lang are locks along with Sitton, but beyond that its anyones guess

& I still wouldn't rule out Newhouse being moved before the season starts if our rookies pan out... he has some sort of value on the open market albeit low... still young/rookie contract & has over 2 pro years of LT experience
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McThreadski wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
driftwood wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

Assuming Sherrod isn't ready to start week one, would you rather slide Bulaga over to LT and keep Barclay at RT to help out the new RB's or go back to Newhouse at LT and put Bulaga back at RT?
I'd rather start Newhouse or Bakhtiari. On either side.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: