Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings 2014 NFL Draft Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

local guy to watch: DT Ra'Shede Hageman - Minnesota

Quote:
05/21/13 - 2013 FREAKS LIST: THE 20 CRAZIEST ATHLETES IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL: 2. Ra'Shede Hegeman, Minnesota, DT: The 6-6, 312-pound converted tight end vertical jumped 36 inches this offseason when the Gophers tested him. More impressively, the former basketball standout (he used to play AAU ball against first-rounder Royce White) says he can still do a 360 dunk even though he's well over three bills. "But," Hegeman adds, "it doesn't look as pretty as when I was 250."
Hegeman was a big recruit for former coach Tim Brewster. Then-Gophers hoops coach Tubby Smith once tried to get him to come out for the basketball team, Hegeman says. But the big man opted to focus solely on football, where he has blossomed into one of the Big Ten's better D-linemen.

He's certainly the most athletic. Not only does he have the 36-inch vert, but he also has bench-pressed 465 pounds and clocked an electronically timed 10-yard sprint in 1.57 seconds. For comparison sake, no DT at this year's NFL Combine jumped higher than 33 inches, and Terron Armstead, the offensive tackle who ran the blazing 4.71 40 at the combine, did a 1.64 in his 10. Hegeman said watching the combine in February has "motivated me to be even get more serious in the weight room." His goals on the field for 2013: play with better pad level, play with more urgency off the ball and not take plays off. - Bruce Feldman, CBSSports.com

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90219&draftyear=2014&genpos=DT
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hageman potentially looks like an ideal 5 technique player for a 3-4 if he can get down to 300-305.
DJpillz317

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't care what people say, but if Ponder doesn't take the step this year and QB becomes a need, I'm all aboard the Johnny Football train.

Prediction: Derek Carr = next Brandon Weeden; Zach Mett will be a good starter; Manziel will be a STAR.
Blake Bortles is going to be a Viking
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJpillz317 wrote:
Don't care what people say, but if Ponder doesn't take the step this year and QB becomes a need, I'm all aboard the Johnny Football train.

I'm sure Tim Tebow will be available next season as well.

Joe_is_the_best ^^
IAmPacman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Vikings fan and I just came across this thread. I looked at tape of all of the top OLB's and Anthony Barr is the best OLB by a good margin. He's so explosive off the edge, insanely fast for his frame and is great at changing direction. Last year he was second in all of NCAA in sacks. What's amazing about that is last year was his first year playing OLB as he used to be a FB. I really think he is gonna be something special in the NFL and I pray my Cardinals can get him in the draft. I wasn't impressed with either of the Alabama OLB's to be honest. Both seemed unathletic and slow to the ball especially Adrian Hubbard. I'd rate Ryan Shazier of Ohio State above both of them.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
eman9416 wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:
I'm a big fan of Aaron Murray, if Ponder fails. And right now, Shayne Skov and Louis Nix are at the top of my list.

I love Aaron Murray and he should go in the second or late first round. Reminds me a lot of Drew Brees.

His arm isn't any better than Ponders

whats wrong with Ponder's arm?

down but not out. I still believe!
VikingsFan51

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Tajh Boyd will be drafted before Fales and Brett Smith. I also think you're really underrating AJ McCarron.

^SiLo^
EliteTexan80 wrote:
You are the aweosmenst VIKINGS FAN!

YEAAAAH!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP_ALL_DAY_28 wrote:
How do you guys think Johnny Football will do in the NFL?

I actually like Ponder though unlike some of you.

I never saw anything that would suggest he would be a starting NFL QB.

Perhaps if he sat for awhile, he can be good, but most teams really can't afford that, so they'll rush him, which will just be counterproductive.

down but not out. I still believe!
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone worth a 6th or 7th round flier out of the guys available in this years supplemental draft?
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought;

Ponder fails, Vikings still succeed based off of Peterson, Jennings and Cassel. What do the Vikings do if they are in the bottom half of the draft?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
Interesting thought;

Ponder fails, Vikings still succeed based off of Peterson, Jennings and Cassel. What do the Vikings do if they are in the bottom half of the draft?

I think if Ponder has a poor year, there will be an urgency to replace him.

In the middle of round one, you're likely taking a raw prospect with a lot of upside. Josh Freeman, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick, are there any of these types of players.

You'd have to let this guy compete with Ponder. You either get a situation like in San Diego, where you draft a guy to replace the old starter (Drew Brees), but that player eventually breaks out. Or Ponder gets replaced and you see if that new QB has decent tools to work with.

Then there is the option of selling the house like the Jets did to get Sanchez.
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

I think if Ponder has a poor year, there will be an urgency to replace him.

You think we could bank on getting a guy like Rivers or Cutler? Very Happy Minnesota does have a history of getting older veteran QBs. Then again Spielman is leaning heavily toward the youth movement.

Quote:

In the middle of round one, you're likely taking a raw prospect with a lot of upside. Josh Freeman, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick, are there any of these types of players.

Cutler. Freeman and Flacco type of QBs scare me to be honest. One season they are great, another season meh. They don't have consistency.

Quote:

Then there is the option of selling the house like the Jets did to get Sanchez.

Whatever the Jets do, do the opposite!
jshowers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are picking somewhere 10-20 and ponder had another unimpressive season, we take a QB to compete with him for the job in 2014. I've always believed in Ponder but feel someone has to light a fire under him, as he's kinda been handed the job and trusted with it through all his struggles. I could see David Fales or AJ McCarron as potential first round fits. Fales is a bit cleaner in his mechanics with a quicker release and better footwork. McCarron has proven he can flat out win in the toughest conference and has better arm strength and experience reading top notch defenses, IMO. Both are seniors and good leaders, which is what I believe we would be looking for in a QB. While Fales may be a "cleaner" prospect on tape, I think McCarron is actually a better potential fit. He is not just another Bama game manager. His experience in CFB and ability to quickly adapt to the pro game would give him the best chance at competing with Ponder for the job in camp and/or a couple games into the season.

If we are picking 10-20 and Ponder showed continued improvement and refinement of his decision making and ability to read/react under pressure, then we should use our pick to take the top 4-3 ILB prospect in the draft, as they are usually available in that range. At this point ot looks like next year it could be AJ Johnson or CJ Mosley. Both are very athletic and aggressive. AJ Johnson is slightly bigger and better against the run, while Mosley is a touch quicker and better in coverage. I feel Johnson's coverage abilities are more than adequate, though, and that his welll rounded game and size combo make him a better 4-3 fit inside.

If we are picking 20 or above and Ponder has again been a disappointment and our success is a product of O-Line + AP and an improved defense, we take Fales/McCarron but don't hand the job over right away.

If we are picking 20 or above, Ponder has shown marked improvement, and the elite ILB prospects are off the board, we take an impact 4-3 DL player. If a top notch 1-tech tackle prospect like Louis Nix III has fallen to us, that's the pick, but if not we cannot waste a high pick on a player without elite potential at that spot. Our other option is an impact 4-3 DE. Guys like Aaron Lynch, Kareem Martin, and Jackson Jeffcoat could be fits there.
Boda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:
If we are picking somewhere 10-20 and ponder had another unimpressive season, we take a QB to compete with him for the job in 2014. I've always believed in Ponder but feel someone has to light a fire under him, as he's kinda been handed the job and trusted with it through all his struggles. I could see David Fales or AJ McCarron as potential first round fits. Fales is a bit cleaner in his mechanics with a quicker release and better footwork. McCarron has proven he can flat out win in the toughest conference and has better arm strength and experience reading top notch defenses, IMO. Both are seniors and good leaders, which is what I believe we would be looking for in a QB. While Fales may be a "cleaner" prospect on tape, I think McCarron is actually a better potential fit. He is not just another Bama game manager. His experience in CFB and ability to quickly adapt to the pro game would give him the best chance at competing with Ponder for the job in camp and/or a couple games into the season.

If we are picking 10-20 and Ponder showed continued improvement and refinement of his decision making and ability to read/react under pressure, then we should use our pick to take the top 4-3 ILB prospect in the draft, as they are usually available in that range. At this point ot looks like next year it could be AJ Johnson or CJ Mosley. Both are very athletic and aggressive. AJ Johnson is slightly bigger and better against the run, while Mosley is a touch quicker and better in coverage. I feel Johnson's coverage abilities are more than adequate, though, and that his welll rounded game and size combo make him a better 4-3 fit inside.

If we are picking 20 or above and Ponder has again been a disappointment and our success is a product of O-Line + AP and an improved defense, we take Fales/McCarron but don't hand the job over right away.

If we are picking 20 or above, Ponder has shown marked improvement, and the elite ILB prospects are off the board, we take an impact 4-3 DL player. If a top notch 1-tech tackle prospect like Louis Nix III has fallen to us, that's the pick, but if not we cannot waste a high pick on a player without elite potential at that spot. Our other option is an impact 4-3 DE. Guys like Aaron Lynch, Kareem Martin, and Jackson Jeffcoat could be fits there.

I would love to land a guy like Jackson Jeffcoat if a QB isn't needed and all the top LB prospects are gone as I think we still need to address both a ILB & OLB. However I might also target a guy like Trent Murphy to play DE as well if he's still on the board as I feel he has the perfect size and abilities to be really successful.

However at this point I think I just need to see how everyone plays and what kind of season they have to really decide what our top need is going to be. With that said I still have a feeling that a LB will be drafted no later than the 3rd round in '14.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
AP_ALL_DAY_28 wrote:
How do you guys think Johnny Football will do in the NFL?

I actually like Ponder though unlike some of you.

I never saw anything that would suggest he would be a starting NFL QB.

Perhaps if he sat for awhile, he can be good, but most teams really can't afford that, so they'll rush him, which will just be counterproductive.

"Johnny Football" will be a non-factor in the NFL...especially if he comes out after this season. He is nowhere near ready for the NFL.

If the Vikings have to look at the QB position again next season, the best fits appear to be Fales (who seems to be a Ponder-clone based upon various descriptions), Stephen Morris, or Teddy Bridgewater (unless Ponder completely flames out though, they won't have a shot at him).

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 4 of 99

Jump to: