Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings 2014 NFL Draft Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take the #1 FS prospect in a heartbeat. I like Sanford and all but Harrison Smith could play either safety spot and be fantastic.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question JShowers....I think FS would be the way to go. Get another stud to pair with #22. Is Floyd going to be a 3-tech?
30 rec. 350 yards 1 TD
425 yards to go
5 games left
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
Good question JShowers....I think FS would be the way to go. Get another stud to pair with #22. Is Floyd going to be a 3-tech?

Yeah, Floyd is going to slot in as a 3-Tech DT and rotate in this year with Kevin Williams. He'll replace K-Will full time next year most likely.

So let's say, then, that we draft HaHa Clinton-Dix out of Alabama, the #1 FS prospect at this time. Does he start right away at FS and Harrison plays SS? Although in our tampa-2 the safety designations don't mean as much as they do for other teams that play a lot of cover 1 with the FS deep and SS in the box
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I would do. Sanford becomes the top backup, special teams ace (like he used to be), or trade bait.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
I guess we will have to agree to disagree about Boyd. I think he is a top 5 QB at this point, but we have 13 or 14 games to evaluate him and everyone else.

He might be a top-5 QB overall, but I personally don't feel (based upon what I've read about him in various places) that he'd be a top-5 QB on the Vikings' board. I don't think he'd be a good fit in the Vikings' offensive scheme. Listing him at 6'1" is being awfully generous, and I think even as that video shows, his accuracy down the field isn't all that great.

He can hit the screens like Ponder, but I don't if he'd be all that much of an upgrade. At this point, outside of Bridgewater, I don't know if anyone else truly is. We'll just have to let the season play out and see what progression some of these guys make.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
arKnaD7 wrote:
I guess we will have to agree to disagree about Boyd. I think he is a top 5 QB at this point, but we have 13 or 14 games to evaluate him and everyone else.

He might be a top-5 QB overall, but I personally don't feel (based upon what I've read about him in various places) that he'd be a top-5 QB on the Vikings' board. I don't think he'd be a good fit in the Vikings' offensive scheme. Listing him at 6'1" is being awfully generous, and I think even as that video shows, his accuracy down the field isn't all that great.

He can hit the screens like Ponder, but I don't if he'd be all that much of an upgrade. At this point, outside of Bridgewater, I don't know if anyone else truly is. We'll just have to let the season play out and see what progression some of these guys make.

If Jeff Mathews shows well at the Senior Bowl, he's got the skill set to be a clear upgrade over Ponder. I know coming to the pros from the Ivy League is a huge jump, but he's got the arm talent and on-field mental makeup to be an elite QB at some point.

I will continue to hype him as my guy. He could sputter out and never make anything of himself in the NFL but if anyone has potential it's him.
Boda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking specifically about QB's outside of Bridgewater, Manziel is intriguing to myself. He has the potential to be a headcase and flame out in the NFL but I believe he also has the potential to be a good to great QB in the NFL. Just have to wait to see how the season plays out.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Johnny nothing but the best in his football career but i want nothing to do with him in purple.
30 rec. 350 yards 1 TD
425 yards to go
5 games left
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what to make of Manziell. He truly is a complete wild card. This upcoming season will give everyone a better idea of what sort of prospect he is but ultimately, I don't think anything in the college ranks can fully reveal how he'll fare in the pro setting.

I don't really think drafting a Safety in the first round is necessary. We've been developing Jamarca and he's improved each season and, most importantly, he's probably developed some meaningful chemistry with Harrison back there in the secondary. He might be worth developing further, in which case we could use that first-rounder elsewhere. I'm currently leaning toward using that pick or maneuvering with it to take a true NT. Pairing him with Floyd sounds about right to me.

Peppers90 on the sig.
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
I don't know what to make of Manziell. He truly is a complete wild card. This upcoming season will give everyone a better idea of what sort of prospect he is but ultimately, I don't think anything in the college ranks can fully reveal how he'll fare in the pro setting.

I don't really think drafting a Safety in the first round is necessary. We've been developing Jamarca and he's improved each season and, most importantly, he's probably developed some meaningful chemistry with Harrison back there in the secondary. He might be worth developing further, in which case we could use that first-rounder elsewhere. I'm currently leaning toward using that pick or maneuvering with it to take a true NT. Pairing him with Floyd sounds about right to me.

We were discussing a hypothetical draft scenario.... read back a page
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:

Agreed about Johnny, this season will tell a lot, anything from a one-hit wonder to another Heismann caliber season is possible IMO.

Moving the pick would probably be ideal, someone trading up for said prospect. I think talent needs to be added to the second level, i hope we get some looks at Hodges this year.
30 rec. 350 yards 1 TD
425 yards to go
5 games left
jshowers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Agreed about Johnny, this season will tell a lot, anything from a one-hit wonder to another Heismann caliber season is possible IMO.

Moving the pick would probably be ideal, someone trading up for said prospect. I think talent needs to be added to the second level, i hope we get some looks at Hodges this year.

I'm not touching Manziel with a fifty foot pole. Even if he was sitting there available in the 7th round.
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, as i said in my original post i don't want him in purple. As for our 1st rounder next year i think addressing the front 7 would be ideal. Best D-lineman or LB available unless it's a HUGE reach.
30 rec. 350 yards 1 TD
425 yards to go
5 games left
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jshowers wrote:

I disagee and really doubt we employ that strategy, but if we were to draft one QB early and one mid to late, I would go with Jeff Mathews in the 1st and Aaron Murray in the 4th-5th. That would mean Cassel is gone, Mathews competes with Ponder to start, and Murray is on the 53 man roster as QB3.

We actually don't have a lot of holes but if Ponder doesn't step up (which is looking very unlikely) then that means we don't have a QB on this roster. This team doesn't go anywhere without a QB. You pick up a few in the draft and hope one shakes out.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
Agreed, as i said in my original post i don't want him in purple. As for our 1st rounder next year i think addressing the front 7 would be ideal. Best D-lineman or LB available unless it's a HUGE reach.

Assuming Ponder does remain the starter in 2014, I definitely see the front 7 as the best spot to address.

DE, DT, and MLB would be three spots to look. If Griffen, Allen and Robison all resign, you can cross DE off the list.

Id like Louis Nix, Stephon Tuitt, or AJ Johnson. Nix looks like that typical Nose or 1 technique player. Tuitt intrigues me, he looks like an explosive player but is listed at 6-5 320, he has the size to play next to Floyd. I think Floyd and Tuitt would be a nice looking duo at DT. Though Tuitt will probably be a top 10 pick if I had to guess at this point. Id assume that MN is picking in the 18+ range if Ponder is good enough to keep the job.

Johnson looks like an athletic specimen, good range, good run defender, probably an ideal fit at MLB. I dont see Henderson hanging on to the MLB job and he should compete with Gerald Hodges at WLB in 2014.

A wild card position would be at Safety. You can never have enough good DBs. While Sanford is servicable, I dont think he will ever be a consistently reliable coverage guy and he has hasnt shown to have good hands for the Int. Id love to have Harrison Smith x2 back there with Cook, Rhodes and Robinson. Talk about a young and talented secondary!

Offensively, I dont think there is any position worthy of a first round pick. Patterson, Wright and Jennings seem likely to be the WRs in 2014. OG is a need, but its not a first round need.

Id keep adding to the defense.

Currently, I see Griffen, Floyd, Hodges, Cook, Rhodes, Robinson and Smith as "core" young players who this team can build around.

Greenway, Allen, and Robison make up the veteran bunch who can still be valuable and productive for this team for the next 3-4 years.

Williams is mostly done, he doesnt qualify in the group above.

Sanford, Henderson and Bishop are simply decent players, stop-gaps if you will, while this team buys time to replace them.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 10 of 99

Jump to: