Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kluwe Watch: will his leg be bigger than his mouth?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
thestonedkoala wrote:
Klomp wrote:
This morning at the Capitol, Governor Mark Dayton became the latest to question the Vikings on the Kluwe topic.

“I don’t feel good about it,” Dayton said. “I mean I’m not in position to evaluate the role and their punting abilities. But it seems to me the general manager said right after the draft that they were going to have competition. Well, then he brings the one guy [Locke] in, he kicks for a weekend and that’s the competition? I mean, I just think sports officials ought to be honest about what the heck is going on. Same way I think public officials should be honest about what’s going on. So that bothers me probably as much if not more than the actual decision.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/206641521.html

That's what seems to be missed.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/205039581.html

Quote:
"It had nothing to do with Chris Kluwe off the field. I have no issues with [Kluwe]. If Chris Kluwe wants to express his opinion, that's his right. That's his freedom of speech. This is just a football decision to bring in a guy to compete."

Where was that competition?

Kickers don't compete in camp for the Vikings, this has been established last year.

So Spielman basically blew smoke up everyone's [inappropriate/removed] and everyone said it's cool?

Klomp wrote:
thestonedkoala wrote:
That's what seems to be missed.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/205039581.html

Quote:
"It had nothing to do with Chris Kluwe off the field. I have no issues with [Kluwe]. If Chris Kluwe wants to express his opinion, that's his right. That's his freedom of speech. This is just a football decision to bring in a guy to compete."

Where was that competition?

I must be missing something too, because that quote says nothing about who Locke would be competing with. It doesn't say "Kluwe will be given a chance to compete."

Further along in the comments:

Quote:
Spielman was asked if that could happen with Kluwe this year.
"I'm not going to comment on anything right now," Spielman said. "We just finished the draft and signing college free agents. We'll sit down with the coaches and analyze where we're at with everything. But right now, going forward, we expect that to be a competition."

Spielman expected a competition between Locke and Kluwe but then just out right cut Kluwe before training camp
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all competitions happen in camp.

They have tape from Kluwe punting last year and took Locke to the dome to work him out; a competition in one sense.

Obviously, I'm reaching, but I don't see much to be upset about. Was Kluwe well liked? Yup. Was he also an average punter making more than he deserved, based on performance? Yup.

We should all be used to some amount of doublespeak that comes with running a franchise, company, or government.
the_cote_kid

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
He's a punter!

I don't know why anyone cares why he was cut. He was an expendable player that was very average at his job.

Is that really the attitude you have, that it doesn't matter either way because this guy is not a star player?

If it's a possibility that Locke was drafted and Kluwe was cut due to Kluwe's comments/actions, then that deserves discussion.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Agreed. Kluwe has years of tape, MN basically knows what they have with him and there really isnt much upside at this point. So really, what would a competition in the sense of letting the guys compete in camp do? Is Kluwe going to all of a sudden elevate his game? Highly doubtful. Now Locke will get more of the reps as Punter and Holder, which will only ease his transition. Rather then splitting those reps with Kluwe.

The competition was in sense Kluwe's tape vs Locke's weekend in the dome.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:

Further along in the comments:

Quote:
Spielman was asked if that could happen with Kluwe this year.
"I'm not going to comment on anything right now," Spielman said. "We just finished the draft and signing college free agents. We'll sit down with the coaches and analyze where we're at with everything. But right now, going forward, we expect that to be a competition."

Spielman expected a competition between Locke and Kluwe but then just out right cut Kluwe before training camp

Things change.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it sort of hilarious/sad when Viking fans adopt some sense of righteous indignation of how a former player is treated on the way out. particularly in this case with Kluwe, given that HE HASN'T SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THE VIKINGS, ASKED TO BE RELEASED SOONER RATHER THAN LATER, AND NEVER PLAYED THE VICTIM CARD HIMSELF.

so why get all bent out of shape over it? when Kluwe isn't.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i find it sort of hilarious/sad when Viking fans adopt some sense of righteous indignation of how a former player is treated on the way out. particularly in this case with Kluwe, given that HE HASN'T SAID ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT THE VIKINGS, ASKED TO BE RELEASED SOONER RATHER THAN LATER, AND NEVER PLAYED THE VICTIM CARD HIMSELF.

so why get all bent out of shape over it? when Kluwe isn't.

From Apr. 28, the day after Locke was drafted by the Vikings.

Quote:
“It’s a shame that in a league with players given multiple second chances after arrests, including felony arrests, that speaking out on human rights has a chance of getting you cut,” Kluwe told PFT via text message.

I believe Spielman met with Kluwe after this to make clear that any moves that might be made have nothing to do with his public stances and are purely business. Kluwe changed his tone after that.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Locke was drafted, Kluwe basically lost his job.

Any of us who have lost a job before take it more harshly at first, but eventually come around to accept reality. This was probably the case for Kluwe, maybe he initially had some resentment towards the Vikings and was simply trying to put the pieces together as to why. We havent heard anything from Kluwe since, but he is also looking for a new job, so it isnt wise to bash your old employer.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about everyone's opinion on this. If Kluwe is a consensus top 8 punter in the NFL, would the Vikings have drafted a punter/cut Kluwe?

No way, IMO.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
I'm curious about everyone's opinion on this. If Kluwe is a consensus top 8 punter in the NFL, would the Vikings have drafted a punter/cut Kluwe?

No way, IMO.

They wouldn't have. Guys like Kluwe and Ayanbadejo are expendable pieces in this league. In any give off-season dozens of those guys are released from rosters around the league. To turn it into anything else than that is asinine at best. Mass media at work.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_cote_kid wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
He's a punter!

I don't know why anyone cares why he was cut. He was an expendable player that was very average at his job.

Is that really the attitude you have, that it doesn't matter either way because this guy is not a star player?

If it's a possibility that Locke was drafted and Kluwe was cut due to Kluwe's comments/actions, then that deserves discussion.

I dont fall in love with players because I understand the NFL is a business. I could not care less why he was cut. If it improves the Vikings team then Im all for it. They could trade Peterson tomorrow for all I care as long as the team improved because of it.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:

No way, IMO.

The only reason why they might've considered is that he would be entering the final year of his deal, and would be getting a hefty extension.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's part of a Star Trib OpEd from Jon Tevlin about Kluwe:

The Vikings push their players to be active in the community. Players often adopt a charity when they are rookies and engage them with varying amounts of time and energy. Most of the time that means letting them use the player’s name, or agreeing to the occasional photo op. Rare is the pro athlete who commits real time, or heaven forbid money, to the charity or issue.

Kluwe walked the walk. Which is why I’m not surprised the guy plans to publish a book of essays on, of all things, empathy. Has Minnesota had a more genuine pro athlete as community asset since Alan Page?

“Athletes are going to be role models regardless of whether we want them to or not,” said Zirin. In a profession where drug use or domestic abuse is not a career killer, “Chris Kluwe modeled civic activism.”

To which the team responded:

After reading your column titled, “Kluwe made an impact on, off the field,” within which I certainly agree regarding Chris’ positive effect on the Minnesota community, I question your assumptions about other Vikings players’ community involvement. In your piece you indicate the majority of players only participate in charitable causes by letting an organization “use the player’s name or agreeing to the occasional photo op.” You also note, “Rare is the pro athlete who commits real time, or heaven forbid money, to the charity or issue.” As it relates to the Vikings, neither of those comments has any merit. In fact, the opposite is true; we are fortunate to have individuals throughout the organization, including numerous players, who are committed to giving time and/or money to various causes in our community.

I also want to personally invite you to the Vikings mini-camp in June, where I am happy to introduce you to many of the players who have their own foundations. Perhaps then you will better understand the passion that several Vikings players have for giving back and the significant impact their efforts – and those of the entire organization - have on our community.
Please let me know if you would like to attend, and I will follow up with additional details.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classy response by the team, sticking up for their players.

Edit: I'm not about to call anyone a liar, but this sentence really irked me: ''As you know, former Viking Chris Kluwe became a vocal proponent of allowing same-sex couples to marry, a fact that occasionally became an irritant with his coaches.''

To me, taken at face value, this is just that, a lie. According to this author, Chris Kluwe's being a vocal proponent for a specific cause irritated his coaches. What is this based on? All anyone ever said (Priefer), was that he thought Kluwe was being distracted by off the field stuff, and that there were other ways to go about this. And that was about a patch on his uniform, nothing political.

The motives behind these articles seem more suspicious than Kluwe's release to me. They reek of sensationalism, distorted facts and are suggestive. The purpose seems to be to rile up the ''moral majority'', and find another 'enemy' to battle their cause against, pro sports.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Shorty McFast

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
The purpose seems to be to rile up the ''moral majority'', and find another 'enemy' to battle their cause against, pro sports.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it here. The Media HATES the Vikings in Minnesota.

From digging through McKinnie's trash for love boat to Randy "running over" the meter maid. Just scummy journalism.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: