Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kluwe Watch: will his leg be bigger than his mouth?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Kellerman wrote:

Like Priefer remarked: "Those distractions are getting old for me, to be honest with you. Does Ray Guy deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? Absolutely. But there are other ways to go about doing it, in my opinion.". Is Priefer saying he doesn't want Kluwe to speak his mind? No, of course not. What he is saying is that you don't tape over your uniform trying to make a statement, when you should be focussed on playing football. That's company time, not your own.

Preifer's comments are one of the major reasons people are suspicious about Kluwe's replacement. He's the one that should have kept his mouth shut.

Wait, what? Priefer is in the wrong for telling Kluwe off for not following the dresscode of his employer?

Edit: No Vikings staff member, Priefer included, has ever told Kluwe that he can't use his right to free speech the way he wants to. All that has been mentioned in the media is that Kluwe needed to focus on punting rather than extracurricular activities while on the job.

Not wrong for telling Kluwe, wrong for telling the media. It definitely creates a perception that Pfeifer didn't approve of some of the things that Kluwe was saying.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Not wrong for telling Kluwe, wrong for telling the media. It definitely creates a perception that Pfeifer didn't approve of some of the things that Kluwe was saying.

He was asked a question. He answered the question.
wcblack34

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Are Tebow fans complaining that he was cut because of his outspoken nature rather than his play on the field? I don't think so.

Actually, there are A LOT of Tebow fans who think Tebow's outspoken nature and beliefs are why he isn't being given a chance. In fact, that's pretty much the gist of their argument, because they're absolutely ignoring the opinions of the overwhelming majority of the scouting and coaching communities that Tebow can't play QB in the NFL.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcblack34 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Are Tebow fans complaining that he was cut because of his outspoken nature rather than his play on the field? I don't think so.

Actually, there are A LOT of Tebow fans who think Tebow's outspoken nature and beliefs are why he isn't being given a chance. In fact, that's pretty much the gist of their argument, because they're absolutely ignoring the opinions of the overwhelming majority of the scouting and coaching communities that Tebow can't play QB in the NFL.

Maybe I shouldn't have asked about Tebow fans, but rather about the media.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Kellerman wrote:

Like Priefer remarked: "Those distractions are getting old for me, to be honest with you. Does Ray Guy deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? Absolutely. But there are other ways to go about doing it, in my opinion.". Is Priefer saying he doesn't want Kluwe to speak his mind? No, of course not. What he is saying is that you don't tape over your uniform trying to make a statement, when you should be focussed on playing football. That's company time, not your own.

Preifer's comments are one of the major reasons people are suspicious about Kluwe's replacement. He's the one that should have kept his mouth shut.

Wait, what? Priefer is in the wrong for telling Kluwe off for not following the dresscode of his employer?

Edit: No Vikings staff member, Priefer included, has ever told Kluwe that he can't use his right to free speech the way he wants to. All that has been mentioned in the media is that Kluwe needed to focus on punting rather than extracurricular activities while on the job.

The perception is only created by people who are looking for an angle. He explicitly states: ''Does Ray Guy deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? Absolutely. But there are other ways to go about doing it, in my opinion''.

The guy actually agrees with Kluwe, he just wants him to focus on football.

Any rational person who read that interview will see that Priefer has no problem with Kluwe's opinions. Unfortunately the media isn't interested in being rational, they are interested in the angle they can exploit. After that Ravens linebacker, this was the logical angle. Even if Priefer hadn't made those comments it still would have been the angle.

I applaud Kluwe for not pointing his finger at the Vikings after his release like that linebacker did. Dude got released for football reasons, all the other stuff is just a sideshow.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is Kluwe putting a "Vote Ray Guy" sticker on his uniform a big deal? not really. what about every player putting a sticker on their uniform about their favorite cause, would that be a problem? hell yes.

that's why you can't let one guy (pardon the pun...) do it. because if you allow one to, then you have to allow all to.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning at the Capitol, Governor Mark Dayton became the latest to question the Vikings on the Kluwe topic.

I dont feel good about it, Dayton said. I mean Im not in position to evaluate the role and their punting abilities. But it seems to me the general manager said right after the draft that they were going to have competition. Well, then he brings the one guy [Locke] in, he kicks for a weekend and thats the competition? I mean, I just think sports officials ought to be honest about what the heck is going on. Same way I think public officials should be honest about whats going on. So that bothers me probably as much if not more than the actual decision.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/206641521.html
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
is Kluwe putting a "Vote Ray Guy" sticker on his uniform a big deal? not really. what about every player putting a sticker on their uniform about their favorite cause, would that be a problem? hell yes.

that's why you can't let one guy (pardon the pun...) do it. because if you allow one to, then you have to allow all to.

Kluwe got fined. Pfeifer doesn't have to have anything to do with it.
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Kellerman wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Kellerman wrote:

The perception is only created by people who are looking for an angle. He explicitly states: ''Does Ray Guy deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? Absolutely. But there are other ways to go about doing it, in my opinion''.

The guy actually agrees with Kluwe, he just wants him to focus on football.

Any rational person who read that interview will see that Priefer has no problem with Kluwe's opinions. Unfortunately the media isn't interested in being rational, they are interested in the angle they can exploit. After that Ravens linebacker, this was the logical angle. Even if Priefer hadn't made those comments it still would have been the angle.

I applaud Kluwe for not pointing his finger at the Vikings after his release like that linebacker did. Dude got released for football reasons, all the other stuff is just a sideshow.

"Those distractions are getting old" implies it's more than just about the Ray Guy bit. We don't know whether Priefer has a problem with Kluwe's opinions, but we do know that Priefer seemed to have a problem with Kluwe expressing them.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

He was asked a question. Sure he could plead the 5th, but that would create even more skeptics
Worm Guts

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

He was asked a question. Sure he could plead the 5th, but that would create even more skeptics

What question was he asked? It seems like he could have answered a different way.
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worm Guts wrote:
What question was he asked? It seems like he could have answered a different way.

The question verbatim was "Are you going to hide the Post-It notes from Kluwe?" (question is at 4:45)

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Priefer-Presser---1213/e5dee7a5-df4f-409e-af99-1ae8d4496a87

The follow-up question was inaudible to me, but I think it was something to the effect of "Have you talked to him about it?" to which Priefer said "No, he don't listen"
thestonedkoala

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
This morning at the Capitol, Governor Mark Dayton became the latest to question the Vikings on the Kluwe topic.

I dont feel good about it, Dayton said. I mean Im not in position to evaluate the role and their punting abilities. But it seems to me the general manager said right after the draft that they were going to have competition. Well, then he brings the one guy [Locke] in, he kicks for a weekend and thats the competition? I mean, I just think sports officials ought to be honest about what the heck is going on. Same way I think public officials should be honest about whats going on. So that bothers me probably as much if not more than the actual decision.

That's what seems to be missed.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/205039581.html

Quote:
"It had nothing to do with Chris Kluwe off the field. I have no issues with [Kluwe]. If Chris Kluwe wants to express his opinion, that's his right. That's his freedom of speech. This is just a football decision to bring in a guy to compete."

Where was that competition?
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Quote:
"It had nothing to do with Chris Kluwe off the field. I have no issues with [Kluwe]. If Chris Kluwe wants to express his opinion, that's his right. That's his freedom of speech. This is just a football decision to bring in a guy to compete."

Kickers don't compete in camp for the Vikings, this has been established last year.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thestonedkoala wrote:

Quote:

I must be missing something too, because that quote says nothing about who Locke would be competing with. It doesn't say "Kluwe will be given a chance to compete."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: