Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kluwe Watch: will his leg be bigger than his mouth?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Kluwe Watch: will his leg be bigger than his mouth? Reply with quote

i trust we can all discuss this potentially sensitive subject without discussing the content matter of what Kluwe has been outspoken about, just the fact that he has chosen to be outspoken publicly.

to whit, let's keep in mind Longwell was cut last year on May 7, which is right around the corner, and we'll start off with these quotes:

Priefer, in December: "I don't even want to talk about that. Those distractions are getting old for me, to be quite honest with you. Do I think Ray Guy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame? Absolutely. But there's other ways of going about doing it, in my opinion. [Kluwe has] got to focus on punting and holding."

Spielman: "This was just another normal personnel move. It had nothing to do with Chris Kluwe’s off-field concerns. I have no issues if Chris Kluwe wants to express his opinion. That’s his right. That’s his freedom of speech. This is just a football decision to bring in a guy to come in to compete.”

Kluwe: "It's a shame that in a league with players given multiple second chances after arrests, including felony arrests, that speaking out on human rights has a chance of getting you cut."

is Spielman being fully honest here? does Kluwe's outspoken nature enter in to the equation of whether to cut him or keep him? if he was the same punter but avoided public discussions, would Locke have been drafted?

statistically, Kluwe had his fourth best year of his seven year career, so pretty much his average.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Kluwe Watch: will his leg be bigger than his mouth? Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i trust we can all discuss this potentially sensitive subject without discussing the content matter of what Kluwe has been outspoken about, just the fact that he has chosen to be outspoken publicly.

to whit, let's keep in mind Longwell was cut last year on May 7, which is right around the corner, and we'll start off with these quotes:

Priefer, in December: "I don't even want to talk about that. Those distractions are getting old for me, to be quite honest with you. Do I think Ray Guy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame? Absolutely. But there's other ways of going about doing it, in my opinion. [Kluwe has] got to focus on punting and holding."

Spielman: "This was just another normal personnel move. It had nothing to do with Chris Kluwe’s off-field concerns. I have no issues if Chris Kluwe wants to express his opinion. That’s his right. That’s his freedom of speech. This is just a football decision to bring in a guy to come in to compete.”

Kluwe: "It's a shame that in a league with players given multiple second chances after arrests, including felony arrests, that speaking out on human rights has a chance of getting you cut."

is Spielman being fully honest here? does Kluwe's outspoken nature enter in to the equation of whether to cut him or keep him? if he was the same punter but avoided public discussions, would Locke have been drafted?

statistically, Kluwe had his fourth best year of his seven year career, so pretty much his average.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with him off the field. Remember that comment from Priefer was right when Kluwe was in that 3 week funk where he was just awful so it seems more like frustration because Kluwe was being vocal at that time while stinking as a punter. This just feels like Longwell all over again. Cut the more expensive vet and draft a comparable rookie at 1/3 the price. Makes sense.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

Bring Melvin Gordon to Minnesota.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is smart planning, they are going to have to give out contracts to "hopefully" Griffen/Cook/etc/etc.

Saving $1.5M or so each year, for roughly 4 years, while obtaining similar production, is good business sense.

Its an "open competition", until Kluwe is cut due to expected salary obligations.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is clear from his words that Preifer did not like the activism.

No issue playing WoW all night.
No issue being in a band.
It wasn't until the activism people complained.

I keep reading "near the bottom in the league in kicks inside the 20." Peopel do realize that that is because Walsh kicked 50+ yard field goals like crazy, right? Kluwe had 18 kicks inside the 20, and 2 touchback. 90% success rate.....

Was he great last year? Nope. Was he better, on average, than his other years? Yes. Did he play injured? yes.

Anyone that thinks this isn't about money, and a little about the fact he actually talks to the media about life, and not just in sports' cliches, I think that person is naive. Of course, that is speculation on my part, but you can only judge based on peoples' actions and words.....
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
Anyone that thinks this isn't about money, and a little about the fact he actually talks to the media about life, and not just in sports' cliches, I think that person is naive. Of course, that is speculation on my part, but you can only judge based on peoples' actions and words.....

i agree with you that we're all making wild guesses here, but if the situation exists as you see it do you think it is the controversial nature of the subject in question, or just that by being socially active Kluwe is perhaps distancing himself from his teammates?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
swiss_vike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kluwe's problem always was hang time and directional placement, never distance.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

i agree with you that we're all making wild guesses here, but if the situation exists as you see it do you think it is the controversial nature of the subject in question, or just that by being socially active Kluwe is perhaps distancing himself from his teammates?

I don't know. I think even just being active, regardless of the message, is probably enough to want the vikings to make a change. I suspect, but clearly have no knowledge, that the nature and tone of his comments rub some people the wrong way (doubt me, go to PFT and read the comments), and we are all human......so I'd bet being rubbed the wrong way has at least an unconcious impact, if not concious impact.
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think money is the main culprit. Not only would we save roughly $1m this year, but he's also entering a contract year.

As a comparison, Dustin Colquitt just got a 5 yr, 19 mil deal.
Two years ago, Michael Koenen got a 6 yr, 20 mil deal.
The contract extension Kluwe signed in 2007 was 6 yrs, 8 mil
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
I still think money is the main culprit. Not only would we save roughly $1m this year, but he's also entering a contract year.

As a comparison, Dustin Colquitt just got a 5 yr, 19 mil deal.
Two years ago, Michael Koenen got a 6 yr, 20 mil deal.
The contract extension Kluwe signed in 2007 was 6 yrs, 8 mil

I think I said that too, it is clearly about money. Let's see if they spend it all or not. Because if not, then the money does not matter.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's obvious as to why he is being replaces, and it has nothing to do with money or his field production.

He speaks his mind on a topic that we can't discuss, and that's wrong. He's standing up for what he deems is right.

It won't matter however. He will get signed somewhere else and make Minnesota look stupid.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
It's obvious as to why he is being replaces, and it has nothing to do with money or his field production..

How is it obvious? There are clearly other factors at play as well.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me seems like money first issue, plus Kluwe has stated that he plays football because he can, not because it's something he really loves. For those two reasons (he hasn't improved much since coming into the league), I think they drafted the punter.

twslhs20

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
It's obvious as to why he is being replaces, and it has nothing to do with money or his field production..

How is it obvious? There are clearly other factors at play as well.

One bad season is an anomaly, and he really wasn't that terrible.

This is pretty clear. If you, or others can't see it, then I feel sorry for you.

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
twslhs20

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
To me seems like money first issue, plus Kluwe has stated that he plays football because he can, not because it's something he really loves. For those two reasons (he hasn't improved much since coming into the league), I think they drafted the punter.

Does Kluwe really seem like the guy to really gouge this team for money?

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
One bad season is an anomaly, and he really wasn't that terrible.

This is pretty clear. If you, or others can't see it, then I feel sorry for you.

And the money factor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: