You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

what is the future of Toby Gerhart?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: what is the future of Toby Gerhart? Reply with quote

Gerhart's been around Peterson — or more exactly behind the star back — since being drafted in 2010. Upward mobility isn’t exactly a perk on the Vikings’ depth chart. So Gerhart’s path toward excellence remains stonewalled. He enters the final year of his rookie contract with no promises for his football future.

Gerhart: “I feel like I can be a starting back and a premier back in this league. We’ll see if I get that opportunity.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/218241711.html

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A swing and a miss on your opportunity to borrow from Shakespeare for the title of this thread. Hint: Hamlet.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To-by or not To-by, that is the question.

Last edited by vike daddy on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see Gerhart wanting to re-sign here to sit on the bench behind AP. We also aren't going to franchise tag him so I would consider him as good as gone after the season.

Maybe someone else's starting RB goes down early in the season and we can trade him for something.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close.

Why hyphen when no hyphen is briefer? That is my question.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
I can't see Gerhart wanting to re-sign here to sit on the bench behind AP. We also aren't going to franchise tag him so I would consider him as good as gone after the season.

Maybe someone else's starting RB goes down early in the season and we can trade him for something.

A bit of purple-glasses thinking, IMO.

Toby could start on some teams. But I doubt he would be the first choice of a team seeking a starter with the characteristics they want in a starter. Obviously, he hasn't shown elusiveness teams want in their starting RB.

I think Toby could be traded if a key backup RB with similar characteristics went out with a season ending injury. Example: AP started over Chester Taylor in his rookie year. If CT went down, the Vikings would look internally for a replacement, but might trade for someone like TG.
PeteyPercyPonde

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no way he is retained. I do think he is over shooting his abilities and isn't a starting RB, but I guess he will have to find that out. I can't see him being traded unless a special circumstance comes up.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He signs someplace where he thinks he has a chance to carry the ball more than 2 times a game.......such a waste of talent for him to sir around.
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
He signs someplace where he thinks he has a chance to carry the ball more than 2 times a game.......such a waste of talent for him to sir around.

I agree. I hated the pick when we made it but I have never disliked Toby Gerhart the player. I believe there are plenty of teams that would like to have him and I would not be surprised at all if a certain west coast team went after him next year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
PrplChilPill wrote:

I agree. I hated the pick when we made it but I have never disliked Toby Gerhart the player. I believe there are plenty of teams that would like to have him and I would not be surprised at all if a certain west coast team went after him next year.

Agreed. I have no idea what Childress/Spielman were thinking in 2010. It was easy to see in 2010 that the team was getting old at several positions (OL, Secondary, Linebacker). Why did MN burn a second round pick and a third round pick on a backup RB, when the team was desperate for some youth/potential starters at a slew of positions.

I know the Vikes lost Chester Taylor, but Gerhart and Taylor are entirely different in terms of playing style and ability. Gerhart didnt make much sense for what MN needed at RB, and it certainly didnt make sense to use a 2nd and 3rd on Peterson's backup.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so who on the roster presently could replace him?

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
so who on the roster presently could replace him?

Probably, nobody. For what Gerhart offers as a true RB. Randle looks like a nice reserve and third down back, but I wouldnt trust him to start agame if Peterson is out. Gerhart is a capable player filling in for Peterson due to injury, but I dont think he is particularly strong as a 2-4 carry per game RB.

Backup RBs are fairly easy to find in the draft and the learning curve is minimal. If MN loses Gerhart, they will surely draft his replacement in 2014.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what most have said here. A team will offer him a bigger role and/or more money than the Vikings will offer. Maybe with the extra 3rd round pick they can get a replacement.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arKnaD7 wrote:
I agree with what most have said here. A team will offer him a bigger role and/or more money than the Vikings will offer. Maybe with the extra 3rd round pick they can get a replacement.

Id still say a 3rd could be too early. Unless Peterson gives hints of slowing down. It just seems like with the RB position, you can find a decent back anywhere in the draft. With a 3rd rd pick, id expect to find a potential starter within a year or two of being drafted.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Asiata is a similar one cut runner to Toby. Not sure how he is in the passing game though.

2017 Aggregate Draft Board

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: