Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No 3rd QB?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Selkiesxx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind Matt Leinart, Trent Edwards or Chris Redman but I really think Tebow may be our guy. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

@BodamEscapePlan (Twitter)
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selkiesxx wrote:
I wouldn't mind Matt Leinart, Trent Edwards or Chris Redman but I really think Tebow may be our guy. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

I was thinking the same until I saw this tweet earlier:
Quote:
@BradBiggs
NFL source confirms #Bears are not interested in Tim Tebow. So, they will not be placing a waiver claim for him.

Hopefully this NFL source knows his stuff!
2014 Adopt-a-Bear: S #45 Brock Vereen
Tackles: 5 || Interceptions: 0 || Forced Fumbles: 0
berrianburns80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
The backup QB position is easily the most over rated position in the NFL.

I'm with you. But I still think it would've made sense for us to add an UDFA QB and let the coaches work with him for an offseason. Nobody special...just a guy with decent tools that Trestman thinks fits his system.

I agree Josh McCown looked pretty decent last year. But DIII Blanchard as the #3 QB on the depth chart? I'd rather have picked up Tyler, Bray, Matt Scott, or Ryan Griffin. Mostly for developmental reasons, not thinking they can win games if Jay gets hurt.

Of the veterans, I like Trent Edwards.

ChicagoAl wrote:
Whatever happened to Chris Redman? He looked like a player coming out of college.

He was actually a really solid/consistent backup QB for the Ravens/Falcons when he got a chance to play. I think he tore up his shoulder early in his NFL career and lost some arm strength...if he didn't do that, he probably would've gotten a chance to start somewhere.

Selkiesxx wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if he signs with another team (Jags?) as a backup QB and ends up starting/winning some games for them. But for a team like the Bears...with a legit starting QB and legit playoff chances...having Tebow as a backup isn't worth all the media headaches and stuff.
berrianburns80

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, another possibility is a veteran guy getting cut before/during camp.

From what I've read, there's a better than 50% chance Mark Sanchez will get cut. I'd gladly take him as a backup on a 1 year deal. I realize his #'s in New York has gone steadily downhill. But being with that joke front-office and coaching staff has made him look worse than he really is. His #1 WR last year was Jeremy Kerley...their RB (Shonn Greene) was a backup caliber player...and their OLine play was subpar also.

Sanchez is a mediocre talent...but I think he can be a solid backup in the league. And he's proven he can win games in the NFL if you put good talent around him.

Thoughts?
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berrianburns80 wrote:

From what I've read, there's a better than 50% chance Mark Sanchez will get cut.

The problem is that he will count $12.35 million against the cap if they do cut him. They may do so just to be rid of him and move on to Geno. I wouldn't mind him as a backup for close to the league min, but maybe the Bears are happy with only 2 QBs on the active roster and then having somebody on the practice squad (Blanchard).
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanchez will be a backup somewhere once he's off of that huge contract, and he'll get more than the league minimum to do it. Frankly I think he gets a shot at starting elsewhere too. Hard to find young QBs who have some history of winning in the NFL, and there are a lot of teams with BAD QB situations.

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
bkokot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Sanchez will be a backup somewhere once he's off of that huge contract, and he'll get more than the league minimum to do it. Frankly I think he gets a shot at starting elsewhere too. Hard to find young QBs who have some history of winning in the NFL, and there are a lot of teams with BAD QB situations.

Just for discussion's sake, which teams could you see him starting for in the 2014 season?
Sugashane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkokot wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:

Just for discussion's sake, which teams could you see him starting for in the 2014 season?

Someone who is determined to get a top 3 pick in the 2015 draft.
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Bfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Golly, the Bears have three QB's on the roster. Jay Cutler is in the final year of his contract, Josh McGown from Sam Houston State and Matt Blanchard from Wisconsin-Whitewater, a Div. II school.

If Jay plays lights out during 2013 do the Bears create a potential hold out for 2014? And if he plays badly or is injured is he replaced by the two inexperienced guys? And since the Bears currently have one good WR and one maybe WR is that on Jay? Does he need the playoffs to be resigned? And if the D is a jumble of confusion, do the Bears resign Jay? Cool
Now they have four QBs signed.

There will be no hold out no matter how well Cutler performs. He can still be franchised. QBs make WRs not the other way around. Rodgers would still be on fire if he had our WRs. Cutler's problems have not been because of his receivers but a combination of his own issues, poor coaching and poor line play. It is my opinion that all three of these have been addressed.

I agree the Bears appear to have solved the o-line issue. That should open up the Trestman offense. But at WR the Bears have one elite WR, Marshall, after which a big fall off to Jeffries (unless he stays healthy) and another fall off to #3. If the Bears passing game involves the RB and TE as key receives that style is out of date in the NFL. Cool

So are you saying the Patriots and Saints offense is out of date?
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bfan wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

I agree the Bears appear to have solved the o-line issue. That should open up the Trestman offense. But at WR the Bears have one elite WR, Marshall, after which a big fall off to Jeffries (unless he stays healthy) and another fall off to #3. If the Bears passing game involves the RB and TE as key receives that style is out of date in the NFL. Cool

Badger apparently has been watching that new fangled Houston Oilers offense. Whats it called, the run-n-gun, no, the run-n-shoot.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Bfan wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

Badger apparently has been watching that new fangled Houston Oilers offense. Whats it called, the run-n-gun, no, the run-n-shoot.

Ready....shoot...aim.... Wink
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downside about Tebow--other than the fact that he's a terrible NFL QB--is the media circus that follows him. Bourbonnais will be a madhouse if he's on the roster. We're talking about a guy who was a step below irrelevant in New York last year and he was all anybody wanted to talk about. I don't think the attention around Tebow would fit well with Trestman's team-before-player mentality.
MiBears4

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Backup QB Reply with quote

I think as a backup QB, Tebow would be alright. I, also, believe there will be better QB's let go prior to the start of the season. NY Jets have a boat load on their roster alone.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
Golly, the Bears have three QB's on the roster. Jay Cutler is in the final year of his contract, Josh McGown from Sam Houston State and Matt Blanchard from Wisconsin-Whitewater, a Div. II school.

If Jay plays lights out during 2013 do the Bears create a potential hold out for 2014? And if he plays badly or is injured is he replaced by the two inexperienced guys? And since the Bears currently have one good WR and one maybe WR is that on Jay? Does he need the playoffs to be resigned? And if the D is a jumble of confusion, do the Bears resign Jay? Cool
Now they have four QBs signed.

There will be no hold out no matter how well Cutler performs. He can still be franchised. QBs make WRs not the other way around. Rodgers would still be on fire if he had our WRs. Cutler's problems have not been because of his receivers but a combination of his own issues, poor coaching and poor line play. It is my opinion that all three of these have been addressed.

Are you speaking in hypotheticals? If not, who's the fourth QB?
I saw something somewhere sometime that they had signed some kid from a small Catholic college. I can't find anything about it now though on the Bears site so it was possibility just another hallucination.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:

Are you speaking in hypotheticals? If not, who's the fourth QB?
I saw something somewhere sometime that they had signed some kid from a small Catholic college. I can't find anything about it now though on the Bears site so it was possibility just another hallucination.

That would be St Xavier QB Jimmy Coy. He was arguably the best QB in the NAIA last year. Ran a 4.55 at the regional combine in Las Vegas.

Watch out Jay...

Youtube of the kid (26 minutes of Jimmy Coy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srXr7IAKaVU

From Beyond Sports Network:

Quote:
Hometown Dreams: Jimmy Coy and the Bears
Posted by cameronsalehi Mon at 7:54 PM

About midway through the seventh round of the 2013 NFL Draft, a call went out. The call from the Chicago Bears went to a small school quarterback who grew up a Bears fan, Jimmy Coy from St. Xavier University.

At 6’1’’ and 210 pounds, Coy is doesn’t sound like he’d be the prototypical gun-slinger, but he sure plays like it. During his junior year, he threw for 4,261 yards and 42 touchdowns and followed that up his senior year with 3,427 yards and 35 touchdowns.

While watching his tape, my major concern for his NFL hopes was his arm strength. Although he won’t be extoled as the next Brett Favre, we both agreed that he has a lot of similarities with current NFL starting quarterback Tony Romo. Both were undrafted quarterbacks from small universities, and both are deceptively fast. As Coy poetically put it, “I’m nimble.” As far as his arm strength goes, I felt that although he can’t throw the ball a country mile, when the receiver is in his range, Coy has great down field accuracy. He executed dozens of longer routes with his receivers and repeatedly put the ball right in their hands. It also helped that he mostly played in the shotgun during his 2 years at St. Xavier. If he wants to play in the NFL, he will have to adjust to being under center and having to get rid of the ball faster. With that being said, his accuracy and mobility should bode well for him as he fights for a roster spot in Chicago.

I spoke with Jimmy about the draft and about the Bears on Monday. I asked him where he was when he got the call and he said, “I was sitting on the couch just watching the draft with my parents.” I honestly couldn’t think of a better story for a small school quarterback to get a call from the NFL team he idolized as a child.

He had worked out for the Bears about a month before the draft and felt confident about his performance, but in his words, “You never know until it’s right there in front of you.” But this opportunity is definitely a game changer for Coy, who hopes to “just learn as much as I can from coach Cavanaugh” and “focus on getting better.” Being humble certainly never hurt anyone, and I don’t think it will hurt Coy, who even admitted that his stock might have been negatively affected by his lack of exposure. But everyone has their own opinion, and my personal opinion is that this couldn’t have happened to a better person.

I asked him how BSN helped him in this process and he was very quick to acknowledge the assistance that BSN gave him. “The most important thing was exposure,” according to Coy. Coy, a BSN showcase participant, attended a combine hosted by BSN. He said this process allowed him to get his highlight tapes into the hands of scouts, and that it gave him insight into the amount of testing that would be done at the combine. Whatever he was exposed to worked, as he ran a 4.60 40 time at his pro day at Northwestern.

He has a lot of work to do if he wants to make an NFL roster, but Jimmy Coy has the tools to be successful. He’s got speed, accuracy, and isn’t afraid to take a hit. The Bears have Jay Cutler, Matt Blanchard, and Josh McCown on the roster, but Coy will be the only quarterback at the Bears’ Rookie Camp, meaning he is already the best quarterback there. Hopefully, he will show that he belongs in the NFL and will get signed to play for his hometown team in the near future. He has the opportunity, and if he wants to be in the NFL, he will have to execute.

If you liked this article, let me know by leaving a comment or sending me a message. You can follow me on twitter @camsalehibsn and I hope you’ll read my articles in the future. I’d like to end this piece by saying Congratulations to Jimmy Coy, a kid from Chicago who was signed by the Bears.

http://www.beyondsportsnetwork.com/articles/print/282/format/smoothbox

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: