Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No 3rd QB?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berrianburns80

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: No 3rd QB? Reply with quote

So I thought Emery would draft/sign a rookie QB to develop this year...but no dice (so far). Do you think the Bears are gonna go into training camp with just Cutler and McCown on the roster? Any names that intrigue you? Here's a list of the veteran free agents that are still available:

Byron Leftwich
Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Charlie Batch
Tyler Thigpen
Trent Edwards
JaMarcus Russell
Sage Rosenfels
Donovan McNabb
A.J. Feeley
Troy Smith
Chris Redman
John Beck
Jordan Palmer
J.P. Losman
Kevin O'Connell

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13

None of those names are particularly appealing. I guess Leftwich would be ok. Trent Edwards is kind of interesting (pretty strong arm/smart guy)...most of the other guys are pretty old/haven't played in the NFL recently

Most importantly, we need a QB who will fit Trestman's scheme nicely. Do you think we'll sign one of these vet FA's? Or an UDFA? Or wait to see who's available on waivers after training camp?
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the NY Post Tim Tebow was just released... </ducks and runs for cover>

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of that list I would rather roll with two.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
According to the NY Post Tim Tebow was just released... </ducks and runs for cover>

Lets not start this again Laughing
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Cutler gets hurt then we are going to lose and it does. Not matter if we have McCown, who actually won a game, or Campbell who made 3.5 million and still lost.

The backup QB position is easily the most over rated position in the NFL.

Blanchard will be #3 and run the scout team again from the PR.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEBOW!!

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
CBears019

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to choose one from that list it would be Leinart, but in reality I would rather keep Blanchard or pick up some other UDFA to see if Trestman can work some magic with.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 77 Yds: 821 TD: 6

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spit-balling here - but I wonder if the decision was made to not bring in a rookie QB so that Trestman/Kromer/Cavnaugh can concentrate on getting Jay's footwork/mechanics/head together.

They'll have one year to concentrate their attention on Cutler and figure out if he is the future of this franchise.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
topwop1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears were just waiting for Tebow to be released. We'll soon find out I guess.

We all know of the Trestman-Tebow connection. Not to mention the Montreal Alouettes own his CFL rights.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: No 3rd QB? Reply with quote

berrianburns80 wrote:
So I thought Emery would draft/sign a rookie QB to develop this year...but no dice (so far). Do you think the Bears are gonna go into training camp with just Cutler and McCown on the roster? Any names that intrigue you? Here's a list of the veteran free agents that are still available:

Byron Leftwich
Vince Young
Matt Leinart
Charlie Batch
Tyler Thigpen
Trent Edwards
JaMarcus Russell
Sage Rosenfels
Donovan McNabb
A.J. Feeley
Troy Smith
Chris Redman
John Beck
Jordan Palmer
J.P. Losman
Kevin O'Connell

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/nfl-free-agent-master-list-13

None of those names are particularly appealing. I guess Leftwich would be ok. Trent Edwards is kind of interesting (pretty strong arm/smart guy)...most of the other guys are pretty old/haven't played in the NFL recently

Most importantly, we need a QB who will fit Trestman's scheme nicely. Do you think we'll sign one of these vet FA's? Or an UDFA? Or wait to see who's available on waivers after training camp?
Whatever happened to Chris Redman? He looked like a player coming out of college.
Badger75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golly, the Bears have three QB's on the roster. Jay Cutler is in the final year of his contract, Josh McGown from Sam Houston State and Matt Blanchard from Wisconsin-Whitewater, a Div. II school.

If Jay plays lights out during 2013 do the Bears create a potential hold out for 2014? And if he plays badly or is injured is he replaced by the two inexperienced guys? And since the Bears currently have one good WR and one maybe WR is that on Jay? Does he need the playoffs to be resigned? And if the D is a jumble of confusion, do the Bears resign Jay? Cool
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Golly, the Bears have three QB's on the roster. Jay Cutler is in the final year of his contract, Josh McGown from Sam Houston State and Matt Blanchard from Wisconsin-Whitewater, a Div. II school.

If Jay plays lights out during 2013 do the Bears create a potential hold out for 2014? And if he plays badly or is injured is he replaced by the two inexperienced guys? And since the Bears currently have one good WR and one maybe WR is that on Jay? Does he need the playoffs to be resigned? And if the D is a jumble of confusion, do the Bears resign Jay? Cool
Now they have four QBs signed.

There will be no hold out no matter how well Cutler performs. He can still be franchised. QBs make WRs not the other way around. Rodgers would still be on fire if he had our WRs. Cutler's problems have not been because of his receivers but a combination of his own issues, poor coaching and poor line play. It is my opinion that all three of these have been addressed.
bkokot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

There will be no hold out no matter how well Cutler performs. He can still be franchised. QBs make WRs not the other way around. Rodgers would still be on fire if he had our WRs. Cutler's problems have not been because of his receivers but a combination of his own issues, poor coaching and poor line play. It is my opinion that all three of these have been addressed.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but in what way do you think Cutler has addressed his own issues?
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

Are you speaking in hypotheticals? If not, who's the fourth QB?

Adopted Bear: LB DJ Williams
Christmas List
Sack of Aaron Rodgers
Sack of Matthew Stafford
Tackle Adrian Peterson for loss

TFL: SACK: INT: FF: FR:
Badger75

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
Badger75 wrote:

I agree the Bears appear to have solved the o-line issue. That should open up the Trestman offense. But at WR the Bears have one elite WR, Marshall, after which a big fall off to Jeffries (unless he stays healthy) and another fall off to #3. If the Bears passing game involves the RB and TE as key receives that style is out of date in the NFL. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: