Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alright Let's Grade the Draft Already
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How'd Elway Do?
A
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
B
63%
 63%  [ 24 ]
C
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 38

JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
I can't give a grade as I haven't studied the players. I have downloaded the following games to watch from the 2012 season :-

North Carolina vs Virginia Tech
Western Kentucky vs Alabama
Georgia vs South Carolina
Wisconsin vs Ohio State
South Florida vs FSU

I will let you know my findings.

If you get the chance, look at North Carolina AT Virginia this year. I was amazed at how dominant he actually can be. He's going to be special.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, i have been really busy so i haven't been able to post. I did watch the entire draft, though i had to film most of it Saturday.

Anyway, here are my grades.

1st Round: #28
Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina- IMO, this is Denver's best pick. I really don't think they could have done much better at #28. To go with that, i also saw Williams as filling a need. Denver doesn't have a lot of depth at DT. As i posted in the 2013 Prospect Thread, i thought Williams would be an excellent fit in Denver, but thought there was a slim chance of him making it to #28. Players with Williams' size (6''3" 315) and burst are typically gobbled up quicker. I think he is capable of being a very good all around DT and bringing the disruptive presence to the interior that Denver has missed for years. He's also a very high character guy.

Grade: A

2nd Round: #58
Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin- I have been a huge fan of Montee Ball over the past few seasons, he and Jonathan Franklin have been 2 of my favorite college RB's. However, i was one of them that doesn't love him or hate him as an NFL back. I like the fact that he has experience in a pro offense and experience blocking and receiving out of the backfield. I also love his vision, balance, his understanding of patience, his burst downhill, and his deceptive power. However, his physical talent is limited and overall he is probably slightly above average in this area. His amount of touches in college don't bother me, it is the multiple concussions that bother me. I don't think Ball was a bad selection, if he stays healthy i think he'll be a solid back for Denver. Though, i don't think he is a game changer at the position.

Grade: B

3rd Round: #90
Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida- Like many around here i knew very little of Webster prior to Denver selecting him. I had only read prior to the draft that NFL teams were higher on Webster than the majority of the draftniks. Even now i have only read about Webster and watched some highlights, but i must say i am not at all disappointed with the selection. For starters, i viewed CB as a moderate need. Denver is going to run into issues at this position sooner rather than later. Taking a developmental player like Webster makes a lot of sense, IMO. I also love his physical attributes. He's got good size at 5'11" 195 pounds, 4.41 speed, long arms, from what i have read he is also quite fluid, and from his highlights he appears willing and physical in run support (i've also read he is arguably the best run defending CB in this draft). If you liked the Omar Bolden pick from last season (which i know a lot of posters here loved that pick) i don't see why you wouldn't love the Webster pick as well. Webster is a more physically talented player without the injury concerns. I expect him to have a similar role to that of Bolden last season and be a very good Special Teamer.

5th Round: #146
Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky- As i posted in the 2013 Prospect Thread a month or more ago, i watched 3 games of Damontre Moore and 2 of Smith on the same day. I came away liking Smith's upside as a pass rusher more than i did Moore's (whom many around here wouldn't have complained if he had been Denver's pick at #28). Though, like many of the pass rushers in this draft i have my reservations on what Smith amounts to in the NFL. He really isn't all that explosive or athletic. He also needs to add a lot of strength. However, he reminded me a lot of Aldon Smith when i watched him on tape. No i am not saying he is going to be Aldon Smith, Aldon is/was more explosive, athletic, stronger, and used his hands better (Aldon Smith has actually used his hands better than any prospect i have seen since really following the draft). Anyway, he reminded me of Aldon Smith in his ability to use his length to beat OT's. Quanterus does use his hands reasonably well, but his greatest strength is creating separation from OT's using his arm length and especially leg length. His ability to set up OT's by moving inside and then taking a large step outside really creates a difficult angle for OT's to recover from. Factor in that Smith appears quite flexible and can bend and it is a tough pass rush to beat. I am going to be interested in how Denver develops him. I really don't think he is a speed rusher and his strengths aren't in his speed or quickness. I would like to see Denver focus on getting him stronger and putting on 10 or 15 pounds and then allowing him to use his technique along with his new strength to give OT's trouble. Overall though, i love the value of this selection. Overall though, i love the value of this selection. I thought Denver could use a pass rusher and liked Smith's upside as well as any bodies in this draft not named Ezekiel Ansah. To get him in the 5th is an excellent pick.

5th Round: #161
Tavarres King, WR, Georgia- I know a lot of people like this pick, but i am just so/so on it. I actually watched a decent amount of King shortly after Christmas because i thought he could be an option in the slot based off of what i had read. Honestly, i came away unimpressed. I don't mind the fact that he adds some speed to the position which is something Denver doesn't have a whole lot of, but he really can't create a whole lot after the catch. What i disliked most is the guy tries to body catch EVERYTHING. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if 95% of his catches he allows to get into his body. Even balls that he has no business even thinking of body catching (like jump balls) he is going up and trying to get his body on the pass. Manning has made lesser talented players than King look better than they are, but i really don't think King is more than a 4th option the majority of his career.

Grade: C

6th Round: #173
Vinston Painter, OT, Virginia Tech- Painter is another player i don't know a lot about and have never seen him play. Based off of what i have read he has a lot of upside is a pretty good athlete at the position. He is certainly a developmental pick as it appears he is learning the position and can get lost at times. I don't have a problem with taking a high upside player at this point in the draft, though i'll say it's probably unlikely he pans out as anything more than a backup, if he even sticks around in Denver very long.

Grade: C

7th Round: #234
Zac Dysert, QB, Miami (OH)- I would have rather of had Matt Scott out of Arizona, i thought he was a more talented player. Though, i didn't think Dysert was a bad pick either. Some around FF absolutely loved Dysert and thought he was better than many of the QB's drafted ahead of him. I didn't love him or hate him. He has a nice physical skill set, with good size, a good arm, and solid mobility. I've never had a problem using late picks on QB's. That position is more valuable than any and adding another young talent QB into the mix doesn't hurt in the slightest. I think he was good value in the 7th as well.

Overall
I liked what Denver did in this draft. Their first 2 picks (Williams, Ball) will contribute from day 1 and provide support in areas of need. I also liked what they did after these picks. Denver's team is pretty solid and taking high potential players in need of development makes a lot of sense for this organization right now. I also thought they did a good job of finding value at almost every pick as well as targeting areas of need at those positions. For example, CB, DE, and WR are 3 positions which could present some problems for Denver in the near future. Hopefully those developmental picks pan out.

M-High Marauder

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a B.

I like the Sylvester Williams pick, although I really would have liked to see them trade up when Shariff Floyd was falling. I can't really complain about the pick though.

Ball was another player I liked. Everybody keeps talking about the workload he had in college and how it will affect his longevity in the NFL. I don't think that people realize that he won't have to be a 30 carry a game RB in Denver's offense. I think he will be instrumental in closing out games this year.

The Webster pick is probably the only thing that kept me from giving the draft an A. He is a guy that has the tools, but not the production. With a draft as deep as this, I think it was a waste of a 3rd round pick.

Smith is interesting, I think he could have been a solid 2nd round pick if he were healthy. It will all depend on rehab.

The rest of the picks have a shot at being back up players in the NFL, so they weren't wasted picks.

Denver Broncos - Detroit Tigers - Michigan Wolverines
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin- ....I don't think Ball was a bad selection, if he stays healthy i think he'll be a solid back for Denver. Though, i don't think he is a game changer at the position.

I think we agree on this pre-draft. i love what he brings as a player but am holding reservations based on concussions and amount of carries.

germ-x wrote:
Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida- .....For starters, i viewed CB as a moderate need. Denver is going to run into issues at this position sooner rather than later. Taking a developmental player like Webster makes a lot of sense, IMO...... I expect him to have a similar role to that of Bolden last season and be a very good Special Teamer.

Im with you on CB being a "Moderate" need and that if we were to take one you take one with tons of upside that you can groom and develop in house. Obviously, Champ is getting up there in age but still shows a lot more than many starting CB's throughout the league. I like the pick and am interested in following his progress. Hes got everything he needs skill-wise to be very good in this league, now he needs to refine them.

germ-x wrote:
Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky- ..... I would like to see Denver focus on getting him stronger and putting on 10 or 15 pounds and then allowing him to use his technique along with his new strength to give OT's trouble. Overall though, i love the value of this selection.

This is my biggest thing. I dont see him having much effect on the field this year. In fact, Id be shocked if he sees much of it at all. This is a Super Bowl contending team and Quanterus got pushed around way to much because of his lack of strength. Its a value pick but for the future. If he gets more than 2 sacks this year, consider me shocked.

germ-x wrote:
Tavarres King, WR, Georgia- ....... It honestly wouldn't surprise me if 95% of his catches he allows to get into his body. Even balls that he has no business even thinking of body catching (like jump balls) he is going up and trying to get his body on the pass. Manning has made lesser talented players than King look better than they are, but i really don't think King is more than a 4th option the majority of his career.

I disagree here. Wes Welker is a "body-catcher" at times too. Im not worried there. Manning will put a ball in a spot and he'll have to get it. My favorite thing about him is his intelligence. Hes a very smart player. Doesnt try to do to much and really made Aaron Murray a good QB this year. My bet is Murray takes a step back this year without King as his security blanket.

germ-x wrote:
Vinston Painter, OT, Virginia Tech- ......I don't have a problem with taking a high upside player at this point in the draft, though i'll say it's probably unlikely he pans out as anything more than a backup, if he even sticks around in Denver very long.

My thoughts exactly. Hes high-upside but has a LOOOOONG way to go.

germ-x wrote:
Zac Dysert, QB, Miami (OH)- ....... I didn't love him or hate him. He has a nice physical skill set, with good size, a good arm, and solid mobility.

Hes got a good skillset. It will be interesting how he progresses with talent around him now. Miami of Ohio was the worst team I saw this year.
Reggie Nelson#1

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone made a mistake... Laughing

Vinston Painter stats:
Quote:
Led the team with a 4415-pound bench press during the team's offeseason conditioning program between his freshman and redshirt-freshman years.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Inside-the-Numbers-Vinston-Painter/314dd2c6-ca57-4154-a712-6de5ccedb8cc
On Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm, AnAngryAmerican wrote wrote:
This team won't win a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read about UDFA prospects, the more I'm starting to like Lerentee McCray, the LB we got from Florida. Seems some people expect that he'll be able to be a pass rusher type even though he's a tweener. That'll be interesting to follow. Worth note with him is that we gave him a 17K signing bonus, so I think he's absolutely in Denver's plans as a developmental talent.

Thanks, Tzimisce
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched NC vs Louisville yesterday. What a random game ... NC got absolutely battered for 3 quarters (and I mean battered), but came within an incomplete pass with less than a 90 seconds to go of winning the game.

Williams, along with the entire NC team was awful for 3 quarters. He went around blocks, showed poor lane discipline and was single blocked all game. He was much more disruptive when momentum swung towards NC, but he was very poor for 3 quarters, no denying that.

Impressed with the NFL calibre throws that Bridgewater was making. They were saying he was a Sophomore; where is he projected next year? Surely a top 10 pick based on what I saw against South Florida (targeted Webster twice all game) and North Carolina.

MUFC OK
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
I watched NC vs Louisville yesterday. What a random game ... NC got absolutely battered for 3 quarters (and I mean battered), but came within an incomplete pass with less than a 90 seconds to go of winning the game.

Williams, along with the entire NC team was awful for 3 quarters. He went around blocks, showed poor lane discipline and was single blocked all game. He was much more disruptive when momentum swung towards NC, but he was very poor for 3 quarters, no denying that.

Impressed with the NFL calibre throws that Bridgewater was making. They were saying he was a Sophomore; where is he projected next year? Surely a top 10 pick based on what I saw against South Florida (targeted Webster twice all game) and North Carolina.

He's projected as the first (or second) pick in the draft.

Thanks, Tzimisce
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Oh really? I assume Clowney has to be the other name then? He was just ridiculous in that Georgia game I watched.

MUFC OK
broncos67

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Oh really? I assume Clowney has to be the other name then? He was just ridiculous in that Georgia game I watched.

Yeah, he and Clowney are 1/2 for me right now.

Thanks, Tzimisce
germ-x

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

Lomax, i am interested in reading your thoughts on the rest of the prospects. I honestly wouldn't mind if you created another thread or made a post with your thoughts on all the prospects when you are through watching the games.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting tidbit from a very good SI article about the Rams draft...

Apparently when we were on the clock, whoever the Rams were discussing things with said that the pick was down to Lacy, Williams, and Ogletree, and we had Ogletree in on the final day before the draft.

Now, it doesn't say where that information came from, but I'm not sure what to make of that, and I don't really believe it. For one, if that was the case and we wanted Lacy at 28....why wouldn't we have taken him at 58? I believe there was real interest in Ogletree, just like I believe there was real interest in Arthur Brown (I feel good knowing there was no interest in Te'o, at least that was reported)...but I believe that Denver would have taken that deal with Minnesota had Sly not been there.

Anyway, thought it was interesting and figured I'd share.

Thanks, Tzimisce
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

Apparently when we were on the clock, whoever the Rams were discussing things with said that the pick was down to Lacy, Williams, and Ogletree, and we had Ogletree in on the final day before the draft.

Now, it doesn't say where that information came from, but I'm not sure what to make of that, and I don't really believe it. For one, if that was the case and we wanted Lacy at 28....why wouldn't we have taken him at 58? I believe there was real interest in Ogletree, just like I believe there was real interest in Arthur Brown (I feel good knowing there was no interest in Te'o, at least that was reported)...but I believe that Denver would have taken that deal with Minnesota had Sly not been there.

I think you're right. From what I've read we still had a DE, CB and Sly on the radar at 28. When the other 2 went earlier, Sly was the obvious choice. He may still have been the choice if all 3 were left on the board.

Seems like outside of that they didn't see anyone else worth the #28.

paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:

Apparently the Ravens traded ahead of us to get Arthur Brown as it was widely believed Denver liked him.

Matt Russell flat out said we had Lacy as our top ranked RB but the injuries red flagged him.

As for Ogletree, I reckon he was probably a character red flag.

The interesting thing is I wonder if we saw him as a realistic choice. Elway basically said that we never envisioned drafting Sly Williams as we never expected him to be available. I wonder if Alec Ogletree is the guy we were "expecting" to draft, unless someone we liked was to fall.

That leads me to think that the board looked like this

1. Nab a faller - in this case Sly Williams, apparently we were high on Eric Reed as well.

2. Trade down if possible

3. Absolute worst case scenario take Ogletree.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Apparently the Ravens traded ahead of us to get Arthur Brown as it was widely believed Denver liked him.

Matt Russell flat out said we had Lacy as our top ranked RB but the injuries red flagged him.

As for Ogletree, I reckon he was probably a character red flag.

The interesting thing is I wonder if we saw him as a realistic choice. Elway basically said that we never envisioned drafting Sly Williams as we never expected him to be available. I wonder if Alec Ogletree is the guy we were "expecting" to draft, unless someone we liked was to fall.

That leads me to think that the board looked like this

1. Nab a faller - in this case Sly Williams, apparently we were high on Eric Reed as well.

2. Trade down if possible

3. Absolute worst case scenario take Ogletree.

I actually agree with you 100%. I think to your first point Elway said as much when he mentioned they were shocked Sly would be there. I think that trade, when it became available was more enticing than taking Ogletree, so if we were faced with the two, I'm guessing the plan would have been to take that trade and take Arthur Brown. It would fit in with everything else.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: