Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Alright Let's Grade the Draft Already
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How'd Elway Do?
A
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
B
63%
 63%  [ 24 ]
C
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 38

AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Alright Let's Grade the Draft Already Reply with quote

Grade and reason for said grade.

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
thebestever6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Alright Let's Grade the Draft Already Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Grade and reason for said grade.

A+
Every player we picked has great character, talent, upside, and are hard workers.
Dysert- captain 4 straight years and leader of a undermanned team.
Sly- very humble and knows what it is like to fail dropped out of hs and got his life together. Captain and a leader. And has talent.
Ball - talented has vision durable, consistent. Does it all.
Webster- was a shinning star of USF even though he went through 3 defensive schemes.
Painter high upside.
Q did work against bama 12 sacks in 9 games.

I also think the addition of Shaun Phillips solidified this draft. IMO sly graded out better than any pass rusher at 28 and Q was a steal in the 5th. Also I can see how Denver graded ball better than Lacy.

I think this is what Mac wanted to do except we received talent too.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a B

Sylvester Williams was value, BPA and BPA at a postion of need all embodied in one, big, pass-rushing DT. We absolutely nailed the 1st pick.

Montee Ball is a RB I wasn't high on, yet that has changed a bit recently. The Broncos needed to upgrade the RB position and they got the one with the best vision bar none and slightly higher measurables than Stepfan Taylor who I also liked. Ball is basically a younger, less fumble- and injury-prone McGahee. Perfect back for our system.

Kayvon Webster it can't say much about except that in reference to 1234567's report on him he has me intrigued. In video clips he looked very smooth and fast, also displaying the physique to play FS, IMO. A wait and see approach with Webster is called for.

Quanterus Smith I find as fascinating from a value, college production and boom or bust type standpoint as Elvis Dumervil back in the days out of Louisville or Bruce Irvin last year. Production - especially against quality opponents - does not lie, so this pick was pure gold in the mid rounds.

Tavarres King I don't know anything about. The things I read point at a deep threat WR who can either turn into TY Hilton or Bernard Berrian. He looks bigger and stronger than both and does reportedly run good routes. NFP had a 2/3rd round grade on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQa_TtZz_Y

Vinston Painter no opinion on him.

Zac Dysert was next to Sly and Q Smith the Broncos third value pick. It may be the case that Peyton's rubbing off effect on Oz and now Dysert is overstated at times, but I like the fact that we at least try to surround him with impressionable young talent and don't fill roster spots with benchwarmers. Dysert does not have the sheer physical skills of Osweiler, though I still see a hard fought battle for Peyton's place 2,3 years down the road. Anybody was better than Hanie and Dysert was often rated higher than Nassib, Manuel and Glennon who all went ahead of him.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be to harsh but I gave the team a C. I was in between a B and C for a while but thought that since its not a B yet Ill go C.

Reasons being:
1. I gave the Sylvester Williams pick a A+
2. Montee Ball has way too much baggage for a 2nd round RB IMO. The wear-and-tear hes already had, plus his concussions, makes me very nervous. With many RB's left on the board, I gave this pick a C.
3. Tayvon Webster is a good player on a garbage team. However, he never stood out like a good player. Elite players on crappy teams usually raise the level of their team, he did not. Im very unsure about this pick. Hes got the most boom/bust of all our draftees. I give this a C.
5. Quantarus Smith was excellent value but too many are getting out of control with him as a pro. People saying hes Doom 2.0 is just stupid. Also, I dont want another Doom, does anyone? I gave this pick a B because he is a sure pass rusher, anything more than a situational pass rusher makes this pick lower.
5. I love the Tavarres King pick. Im an SEC guy so I saw him plenty. Hes more than just a deep threat. He reads zone coverages very well and was a good security blanket for Georgia the last 2 years. I think this is a high B.
6. I know very little about Painter, all Ive read is that he played DL 2 years ago. Saw some tape of him playing Clemson. He looked pretty bad at times. Struggles moving laterally but has really good initial quickness and shows ability to push in the run. I see TONS of athleticism but not quite sure he makes this team right now. I grade this a high C because of the uncertainty of where and when he plays.
7. Many here are very high on Dysert but I wasnt. He obviously played on a terrible team no one can argue that. I think hes a backup at best but will likely get beaten out of a spot on the roster from a veteran the team brings in to push Osweiler, once Peyton retires. I grade this a C.

Overall, I say in terms of needs we address one major position of need in DT, and with a player who I had top-15. Other than that, I dont see much starting potential in any of the players. Again, way too early to be doing this but I still grade it a C.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give the draft a B.

1. Sylvester Williams- A. This is our best pick from a talent standpoint, and I think it's obvious. He has the ability to generate pressure up the middle and he's a good athlete for his size. I look for him to have a fairly large impact this season and work his way into the starting lineup eventually.

2. Montee Ball- B+. I love the player and the only thing that worries me is if he'll get enough time. The mileage thing is so overblown with this pick it's ridiculous. Ball is a workhorse. And I'm not sure what all this concussion talk is, he had one as a result of getting jumped...hardly a football injury. I don't recall when his other one was but I could be wrong. He'll split carries and he doesn't fumble which is incredible given our issues turning the ball over.

3. Kayvon Webster- C. I think this guy has major potential, but I think there were better options even if BB was going to take him. I like that he has the willingness to tackle, and as we saw with Chris Harris, some guys just flourish in different situations. I think he's going to be a hybrid CB/S type of player but he's absolutely going to contribute, if not now, than later, and honestly, if Omar Bolden is improved this year, Carter will be off the team, and Webster will be the #5 CB.

4. Quanterus Smith- A. I'm so biased here but I was calling for this pick the entire time. I love the guy and his insane potential as a pass rusher. He obviously needs to work on other parts of his game, but the great news for Denver is that early on, he can be an impact player simply coming in and getting after the QB. That's so valuable for us right now, and if he's healthy, which I believe he will be, he'll be a good body to have in the rotation to keep everyone fresh.

5. Tavarres King- B-. I think King could be a good player, and the positional value was right, but I would have much rather had Ryan Swope, even Da'Rick Rogers here, because I think they have way more upside. King might make the roster as the 5th receiver, which could be good on special teams, although quite frankly I expect him to be PS fodder and nothing more. However, he does possess SOME upside as a career backup WR and that could be valuable, especially because he'll work a lot with Brock Osweiler and as time goes on that could be nice.

6. Vinston Painter- B+. Good pick here. He could definitely come in and surprise as the backup swing tackle, and although he's incredibly raw, he's got a great shot at being a roster player as well. I think he projects pretty well as a RT if he develops and assuming that does happen, it allows us flexibility with Franklin, possibly even putting him inside. I've liked the year-to-year development a lot of our OLs have shown and so I trust that there will be some good development here.

7. Zac Dysert- A. I'm thrilled that we took Dysert. I saw a guy who played on a completely abysmal team but was a good QB. His presence in the pocket is quite good and he makes some very nice throws there. I have a problem with his accuracy and ability when he's on the move, but I think some of that can be coached. He has definite upside, and realistically, he was better than a late 7th round pick. Even if he becomes a backup to Osweiler, I think he has a sliver of the potential to be a guy we can flip for a pick later on.

Thanks, Tzimisce
7DnBrnc53

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give it a B-.

I think that Sly will make the most immediate impact.

However, it would be great if this happens:

Montee Ball: He becomes another Curtis Martin. Some were making those comparisons.

Kayvon Webster: I hope he can be similar to Aeneas Williams (obscure CB drafted in 2nd or 3rd rd. that becomes a star)

Quanterrus Smith: Another Dumervil or Bert Berry, a pass rusher that Denver let go to Arizona 9 years ago after a very productive season.

Taverres King: Another Garcon. I have heard those comparisons as well.

If this happens, and Sly plays like I think, Elway is the executive of the decade.
The Helicopter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to gage unless one defines their measuring stick. As I know next to nothing about college players, my gage would have to be the so-called draft experts and the members of this forum. According to most, there were better players on the clock from the second round on. They seemed to rate our 1st and 7th round choices pretty high. Based on rating, need, and what others here have said I tend to agree and I'd give those players an A. We needed a young, 3 down running back but this class seems tough to rate. The rest was a, "they left who on the board!?" In retrospect the previous drafts seem to be about a B, so fingers crossed.

I graded this draft a "C".
broncosfan_101

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Days 1 and 3 were definite 'A' days. Sly was considered by many to be a top 20 pick, and he should be a real good player for a lot of years. On Day 3, you're basically just looking for upside, and we picked up HUGE potential at pass rush and QB in Smith and Dysert. Got good value in King and Painter at need positions as well.

Day 2, obviously, I wasn't so pleased with. First, Webster, who was a reach at one of our deepest positions. That's a bad recipe. From what it sounds like though, at least he has legit starter potential. C- pick.

I hope Montee Ball is better, and has more left in the tank, than I think he does. He looks like a decent player, and playing with Peyton will probably add a year or 2 to his career, because the carries won't be as plentiful as they could be on other teams. But I think we have other decent backs, and I think we passed on a better one, with more long term upside in Lacy. Another C- pick.

All in all though, solid B from me. Love Sly. Love him.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from Lacy, who had medical problems, I'm not sure exactly which other backs were better? Knowing what we know now, Franklin would have been a major reach, although I do like him.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Aside from Lacy, who had medical problems, I'm not sure exactly which other backs were better? Knowing what we know now, Franklin would have been a major reach, although I do like him.

I had Franklin, Michael and Ellington higher than Ball. Honestly, if durability is a factor (and it really is), IMO hes still behind those 3.

Its a wait and see approach. I would have just rather had one of those 3 in the 2nd. Ball was a 3rd rounder in my book. He didnt have value in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I had Franklin, Michael and Ellington higher than Ball. Honestly, if durability is a factor (and it really is), IMO hes still behind those 3.

Its a wait and see approach. I would have just rather had one of those 3 in the 2nd. Ball was a 3rd rounder in my book. He didnt have value in the 2nd.

Ellington I absolutely don't agree with. Can certainly agree with Christine Michael, but I think they were turned off by his personality (or so I'd think) and I think Franklin is a push.

I personally haven't seen anything from Ball that would make me question his durability as far as health. He had a concussion because he got beat up. He's not habitually hurt and he can take hits. His hits will be limited here. I still like him a lot and I think he's going to help us a ton. And again, he rarely fumbles. That's huge for our issues on that end of the ball.

Thanks, Tzimisce
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Ellington I absolutely don't agree with. Can certainly agree with Christine Michael, but I think they were turned off by his personality (or so I'd think) and I think Franklin is a push.

I personally haven't seen anything from Ball that would make me question his durability as far as health. He had a concussion because he got beat up. He's not habitually hurt and he can take hits. His hits will be limited here. I still like him a lot and I think he's going to help us a ton. And again, he rarely fumbles. That's huge for our issues on that end of the ball.

Ive said it already and Ill say it again, I LOVE his performance in college and his skillset but I have a very large red flag because of the almost 1,000 carries in college and almost 500+ in high school. Hes got A LOT of wear-and-tear on his body plus 2 concussions in a year. Once you get concussions as a RB, it usually doesnt stop.

I question if he lasts more than 4 prime years in the NFL. That to me would mean hes a waste of a 2nd round pick.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am giving them an 'A.' They addressed every position of need. Whether these chumps turn into champs is another thing. I loved the picks too, because they all have upside. I think Elways is relying on the coaches to exploit their abilities, and all of the draft picks have incredible ability to improve upon.
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say they deserve a B.

1.) S. Williams--I think was a great pick with great value. I like that we have a DT that is young and has potential, I'm tired of having washed up players there.

2.) M. Ball--I like the player, just don't like using a 2nd on him. I think he will be durable even though he's been a workhorse. I hope he'll bring toughness and ball security to our backfield.

3.) K. Webster--I like the player as well, just don't like using a 3rd on him. I think he could have been had in 4-7. I like his measurable, combine numbers, physical play and toughness.

4.) Q. Smith--I think he's got potential to be a 8-10 sack guy for 5/6+ years. He obviously lost stock due to injury, but I think once he gets healthy he'll be a contributor by pass rushing and then we hope he can make that jump to starter material.

5.) T. King--Good pick because of the value and I think he can be a 4th receiver for us right away. It looks like he has good hands and obviously great speed.

6.) V. Painter--I saw his combine and he looked athletic, but can he ever gain technique and an edge to start? I am not sure but he can be a nice backup for now.

7.) Zac Dysert--The only Gruden camp episode I saw was with Zac. I like him, think he got screwed over by the lack of talent and system. He's got an arm and size to be a nice project QB for the Broncos.

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it pretty interesting that both Webster and Montee Ball said they grew up being Broncos fans and watching Denver on TV.

I wonder if this came up in the meetings at the combine, perhaps Elway was specifically targeting Broncos minded players. Is this a new trait we're seeing in our front office?

Another thing I noticed is that for the second year in a row we've spent our first pick of the third day on a guy with medical red flags that would've been a second round pick otherwise. I like this strategy in the mid rounds because the potential rewards outweigh the risks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: