Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rating the Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmittySmurf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Gettleman we trust.

The RB/LB picks are so we can clear the books next year and sign Cam/Hardy.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SmittySmurf wrote:
In Gettleman we trust.

The RB/LB picks are so we can clear the books next year and sign Cam/Hardy.

this is much more important than drafting a late round wr or db. clearing d will and possibly beason would continue the cleaning up of hurneys mess.

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Moody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows how Barner ends up, but I'm actually happier going with him than Tavon Austin.

Picking him had zero risk attached. He'll also have time to develop his weaknesses.

I see LeMichael James in San Francisco as what Barner could be. Not trying to be lazy and comparing players from the same school, they're just incredibly similar with Barner being slightly faster/stronger overall. Fumbles are probably the biggest concern.
Punisher1380

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Star falling to us was absolutely AMAZING!

2. Short after looking at it was a great selection, at the time of the draft i kept asking myself why not john hankins from OSU but im not a scout or professional so i fully back that pick!

3. No Pick

4. Kugbila... I will never argue OL or DL depth in the late rounds

5. Klein... As often as our LB's are injured this was a great pick. High motor guy with good instincts

6. Barner... Really 6th round? And anybody is gonna argue this pick?

***Overall i believe Gettleman has done a great job looking over our roster and has a solid plan for our horribly managed roster. A solid year next year and players could start redoing their contracts to stay in carolina due to the belief in gettleman. Taking DT's in the 1st 2 rounds was VERY smart and i love the picks.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunch of dumb optimists on this thread... I shall speak no more of this horrific draft.

You guys can sig this and we'll talk about it when the season ends...

We'll go 7-9 or worse and outside of Star, everyone from this draft class will either under perform or hardly see the field, if they even make the team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:
Bunch of dumb optimists on this thread... I shall speak no more of this horrific draft.

We'll go 7-9 or worse and outside of Star, everyone from this draft class will either under perform or hardly see the field, if they even make the team.

The draft isn't about 1-year performance.
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:

Laughing

Please do, you'll be doing us all a favor.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
iknowcool

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barner won't have an immediate impact unless we let go of Williams on June 1, but not only do I think that remains unlikely but I don't think they should, either. To my knowledge, we wouldn't be saving anything and I feel we'd be better off just rolling with him this year than without. However, I do like Barner a lot. Very patient and has nice vision when I see him run. He's the perfect complement for Stewart down the road.

I didn't know who Kugbila is and won't pretend I've seen him play but he has great athleticism for his size. Watching some of his drills at the combine, he can move very well and seems like a strong guy. Only thing I saw is he is stiff, hence why he'll be playing guard.

I see Klein as being someone who is not going to be a great player or anything. But I think he'll develop into an OK role player. Anyone remember Diggs? Just like that. Just an average, solid player.

The more I watch Short, the more I love his pass rushing potential. Just needs to improve in defending the run - scouting reports weren't joking when they said he struggles against ZBS. Obviously think Star is fantastic and could turn out to be the best defensive player in the draft. All in all, we got one immediate impact player, a player who will perform a good amount this year in a rotation, a player who could push to start on OL, someone who'll be a reliable backup at all 3 LB spots (though primarily SLB), and a player who could potentially make an impact in the return game if Ginn is to get hurt and in the future, be a nice backup to Stewart.

If I had to be realistic and say who I think will prosper and who I think won't, I'd say Star, Short, and Barner will have good to great careers for where they were drafted though hopefully Short's issues really did come from playing a ton of snaps. I think Klein will be an OK role player, though not someone you really want starting full time (but he won't necessarily be a detriment either) and I have no idea about Kugbila.
fretgod99

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
I see Klein as being someone who is not going to be a great player or anything. But I think he'll develop into an OK role player. Anyone remember Diggs? Just like that. Just an average, solid player.
And just to reinforce this, I'm perfectly ok with that for a 5th round pick. Teams are made up of role players, including special teams and backups. Assuming this is what he turns into, that's what you'd like to see your late round picks become, for the most part. Sure, you'd love to find gems and break out players. But, ultimately what you really want out of them is lunch pail guys who do their jobs.

If he's on the team and generally contributes (even just on special teams) for the life of his rookie contract, great; the pick worked. If we get anything more than that, even better.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Moody

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaX 07 wrote:

Wait... two rookies are the difference between 7-9 and making the playoffs for this team?

You're sure it's not reliant on the improvement of the team's two best players who happened to win ROY awards?

WR/S/CB learning curves are all over the place. Drafting one wouldn't significantly change the defense this season.
in cam we trust

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shax 07 just stop watching football
rjkilla

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotoworld is [inappropriate/removed] all over our draft right now. they even went so far as to call gettlemans start in carolina mediocre...the correct response is nobody knows how good this draft is because nobody has played a snap.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought all of us that have been around a while would now better than to condemn or overly praise a draft a week after it took place. We have all watched picks we thought were bad do well and picks we thought were great do poorly. Cool your jets.

And while I may be being optimistic, I'm not sure how I am being dumb.

CK on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: