Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Philadelphia Eagles 2013 "Hindsight" Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKingDP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Philadelphia Eagles 2013 "Hindsight" Draft Reply with quote

Doing a small exercise in futility & playing devil's advocate, I did a "re-draft" of our recent 2013 class to reflect what move I would have made with the players left on the board (with 100% absolute hindsight) when we made our actual selections. I know that changing one single pick would change the entire rest of the NFL team's draft boards, but I don't really care, so enjoy it, and post your own if you want to.

Before I start, I just want to say that I actually love what the Eagles did with the draft this year, and some of my picks are exactly the same as what the Eagles did. This is purely for entertainment purposes only.

1st round, 4th pick (4th overall) - Lane Johnson, OL, Oklahoma (6'6" 305 lbs) Selected 4th overall (PHI)
    With Fisher, Joeckel, & Jordan going 1, 2, 3, the Eagles' top selection was made easy for them, going with the best player available. The selection of Johnson allows the Eagles to move Todd Herremans back inside to guard & effectively upgrade two positions on the offensive line with one draft selection. Johnson will start at RT from Day 1 & will potentially replace Jason Peters at LT, who is returning from a torn achilles tendon & only has two seasons remaining on his contract.
2nd round, 3rd pick (35th overall) - Cornellius "Tank" Carradine, OLB\DE, Florida State (6'4" 275 lbs) Selected 40th overall (SF)
    After missing out on Dion Jordan in round one, the Eagles take this scheme-versatile, pash rushing terror in round two. Carradine has the ability to rush the passer from both 3-4 OLB & 4-3 DE, which will give the Eagles an extremely versatile weapon on the defensive side of the ball. The selection of Carradine could essentially signal an end to Trent Cole's time in Philadelphia, a move wouldn't necessarily have to be made immediately.
3rd round, 5th pick (67th overall) - Terron Armstead, OL, Arkansas-Pine Bluff (6'5" 305 lbs) Selected 75th overall (NO)
    The selection here of Armstead follows the mindset to select the best player available on the board. An athletic freak that dominated lower-level competition would basically sit on the bench his first year to develop. If he doesn't have a spot at either tackle position with Peters & Johnson, he could also theoretically provide depth inside at guard in Chip Kelly's up-tempo zone running scheme.
4th round, 1st pick (98th overall) - Duke Williams, S, Nevada (6'0" 190 lbs) Selected 105th overall (BUF)
    Even though the Eagles traded up for this pick to get Barkley and we could have stayed pat at 101st overall for this selection, I'll just stay with the spirit of this exercise and select Duke Williams 1st overall in the 4th round. I believe Williams has the ability to be a starter on Day 1 in the NFL, but at the worst, he would be a nice piece on the Eagles special teams units as he developed into a starter.
5th round, 3rd pick (136th overall) - Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama (6'3" 323 lbs) Selected 137th overall (SEA)
    Williams has shorter arms (32"), but displays the strength & athletic ability to clog the middle as an NT & also had experience at Alabama playing at the 5 technique during the entire 2011 season. His availability at 136th overall could provide to be an absolute steal.
7th round, 6th pick (212th overall) - Chase Thomas, OLB, Stanford (6'3" 245 lbs) Undrafted
    Even though Chase Thomas went undrafted, I think he warrants a selection in the 7th round. He would provide depth behind Connor Barwin at SAM. An extremely intelligent football player who's ceiling is limited by his athletic ability, Thomas could still be a useful piece in the transition to the 3-4 defense for Philadelphia.
7th round, 12th pick (218th overall) - Jordan Poyer, CB, Oregon State (6'0" 190 lbs) Selected 218th overall (PHI)
    Poyer fell to the 7th round right into the Eagles' lap. Poyer has the ability to provide depth at CB, especially in nickel situations, and he may be able to provide some special teams impact as well.
7th round, 33rd pick (239th overall) - Da'Rick Rodgers, WR, Tennessee Tech (6'2" 215 lbs) Undrafted
    Why not? The risk of using a compensatory pick on a guy who could be productive can't ever hurt. I understand why he went undrafted, but I'd "waste" a late 7th rounder on Rodgers' athletic potential.

Again, this was done just for fun with 100% hindsight. If you guys could "re-draft" with the benefit of hindsight, would you change any of the Eagles selections? This particular "mock" would give us huge upgrades in talent, depth, and flexibility on the offensive line, as well as on defense. Da'Rick Rodgers is basically a throw-away pick that could be cut if he doesn't show he is cut out to play in the NFL. I don't hate the Matt Barkley selection at 98th overall, I just think it was sort of an unnecessary "luxury pick" when we have other pressing needs. If he turns out to be Tom Brady, I reserve the right to fully retract that previous statement. Very Happy

Oh, and just for full disclosure, I chose Carradine in the 2nd round over Ertz or Geno Smith because I'm a Florida State fan, and I have a mancrush on Carradine. I think he's gonna be a stud.
Blahman88

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hindsight, it's been on freaking day and a none of them have even had a millisecond of practice.

REALLY??????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't change anything. Kind of wish we got Chase Thomas as a UDFA or instead of King but oh well.

2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
ninjapirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not upset with anyone we took.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Small d = pastry
babyatemydingo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lane Johnson
Kawaan Short
Corey Lemonier
Barrett Jones
Jesse Williams
Jordan Poyer
Rontez Miles
Zach Sudfeld

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: