Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs sign UDFA Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dgould117

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Chiefs sign UDFA Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee Reply with quote

Confused and Surprised at why this hasn't been posted yet!

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/4/27/4277314/tyler-bray-udfa-chiefs-dolphins-undrafted-free-agent-signing

The most naturally gifted passer in the draft this year comes to us without needing to use a draft pick on him! I'm honestly pretty pumped about this, he could be the guy in 4-5 years.... He'll have a HUGE chip on his shoulder as he is an uber-competitive guy.
marnz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiefs sign UDFA Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee Reply with quote

Dgould117 wrote:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/4/27/4277314/tyler-bray-udfa-chiefs-dolphins-undrafted-free-agent-signing

The most naturally gifted passer in the draft this year comes to us without needing to use a draft pick on him! I'm honestly pretty pumped about this, he could be the guy in 4-5 years.... He'll have a HUGE chip on his shoulder as he is an uber-competitive guy.
hes the opposite of competitive

http://www.businessinsider.com/tyler-bray-on-back-up-role-2013-3

Keep in kind tgis is during his pro day
Dgould117

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiefs sign UDFA Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee Reply with quote

marnz wrote:
Dgould117 wrote:

I'm incredibly competitve. I would say the same thing. An, out of context, quote is not something that tells me he isn't competitive.
Ring of Fame

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a mental midget. I've seen nothing from him that shows me he likes football even a little bit. If you have a well-documented attitude problem and you've never done anything if you're football career, you've got another thing coming.

I don't mind the low-risk, low-cost gamble on the kid. I'm just not excited about him yet.

`
Chiefer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiefs sign UDFA Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee Reply with quote

Dgould117 wrote:
marnz wrote:
Dgould117 wrote:

I'm incredibly competitve. I would say the same thing. An, out of context, quote is not something that tells me he isn't competitive.

Yeah I don't see how that quote says anything.

To me it seemed like he was saying "fine" sarcastically, because he paused.
chiefs82

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got the talent but a brain of a 5 year old. Hopefully we can get him on the right track

2014 Adopt-A-Chief: #50 Justin Houston, OLB
Tackles:28/Sacks:10/FF:1/FR:0
PhillyChief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of what you guys are saying has merit to it. Let me share some insight about why I'm excited about this signing.

Living in Nashville and surrounded by Vols fans I have heard the good and bad about Bray. Here's my take. What we have here is Ryan Leaf....and we should all be incredibly excited about that. He has all of the tools on the field. His accuracy is probably his weakest point but it's actually pretty good...not great due to some fixable mechanics...but NFL avg). His arm strength is top 5 in the NFL the moment camp opens.

The real issues have been his maturity and leadership....thus my Leaf comparison. The blessing here is we KNOW THIS NOW and can surround the guy with quality QB coaching while he sits and learns without the pressure of being the man.

Here's what I've learned from TN. The guy came in under Kiffin (a nutcase himself) because he was sold on the idea of getting UT back to the promised land. They haven't won squat since T Martin and Peyton, and he was excited about the chance to compete as an underdog in the SEC. The guy had over 50 offers. If he didn't want to compete...he wouldn't of signed here.

Kiffin...as we all know bolted to USC after one season...Bray's best (True Freshman). UT then hired coach Dooley...who is routinely known for throwing his players under a caravan of buses. Dooley was a moron...and didn't really want to run an offense that capatilzied on Bray's strengths. He was run first and favored short routes...which irked a bunch of UT fans considering the talent they had at WR. It is obvious Bray and the coaches never got a long...which is a fault of both parties and something Bray should learn from.

The best example of this came last season. I can't remember which game it was, but Bray got pissed off when twice on 3rd down and over 5yrds they called running plays. Later in the game this happened again and Bray changed the play to a pass at the line. He through a LAZER that hit Hunter in stride on the way to the endzone. Bray...then turned to his coach and stared him down as if to say...why the heck wouldn't you let me do that earlier!! He was benched the next week. Still...I like that attitude in my QB.

Bray is a gambler. He trusts his arm wayyyy to much (even though that's justified with his type of talent). He also did the minimal to get better...although MOST vols are rumored to have done this as they did not trust Dooley's staff.

Also...from what I have learned the kid is SUPER shy. Vocal leadership is going to have to be learned to improve as a QB.

If the guy sits, forced to study game tapes, run the scout team, and fix easily fixable mechanical issues (most of which occurred when he is pressured and has to move outside of the pocket) then I PROMISE we have the type of gunslinger that Leaf was supposed to be. If not...we have what Leaf became...except without a draft pick invested in him.

Keep in mind the guy was a TRUE junior on two staffs that had NO clue how to train players to be professionals. He turned 21 in December. He was the big man on the STATE...not just the campus..and couldn't handle the pressure or find any support. He'll grow up.

This is a win win.
I'll leave you with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ricwox8hXY

Edit: One other thing I neglected to mention. Proof that the kid will work to get better. When he came in as a Freshman...he was a beanpole. That was his biggest complaint. The guy hit the weights and is not prototypical 232lbs. That's like 50lbs of work. Just another reason I have hope.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not pro or con on this honestly. It gives Reid someone to tinker with, guy has talent, needs a lot more developing. Worst case scenario we toss him on the practice squad and someone else takes him.

Kid is a less mature version of Osweiler, and we got him as a UDFA.

Literally zero risk unless he really screws up and gets the team fined, in which case he'll likely get the boot.
chiefs82

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has the opportunity to be the QBOTF if he can get his head on straight. Have a feeling Reid and Pederson (former QB and QB Coach) Will knock some sense into him. he's in a good situation sitting behind Smith for 2 year.

Ring of Fame

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good take, Philly.

BUT. Look at the great QB's of the last decade - the last few decades for that matter - and try to find one who, coming out of school, had this many question marks regarding his mental capacity.

I've always believed that leaders are leaders from a young age. You don't teach that ability, you can't wish it, you can't study for it. It goes back to childhood and grade school and a whole bunch of things I avoid talking about with my psychiatrist. Point being, you can't make silk out of a sow's ear. If the guy wasn't a leader in college, why would he be at a higher level?

The QB eye test - he passes. He's big, long, good body, good arm, looks good. But the QB checklist - he fails. Poise, presence, aptitude. The three essential successful-QB traits are non-existent. And to boot, he doesn't seem to care.

Like I said, I got no problem with the low-risk, low-cost gamble. I'm just not excited about it.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battle for our #3 qb is between him and Stanzi. Every player needs some sort of competition, I am hoping this brings out a little extra in Stanzi.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not hear an angel chorus, but this is good news.

J

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have been happier with Matt Scott or Jordan Rodgers.

Guy thinks he's better than he is. You guys think Cassel's accuracy was bad, just wait.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbEx-idPyyM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

marnz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Chiefs sign UDFA Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
Dgould117 wrote:
marnz wrote:
Dgould117 wrote:

Yeah I don't see how that quote says anything.

To me it seemed like he was saying "fine" sarcastically, because he paused.

R u guys serious then if he was beinf sarcastic I question his seriousness to learn

People question your preperation mental capabilities towards game and when asked how u would feel being a backup he says as long as I get paid ? Lets asshme he was joking that is still a horrible answer

I dare u in your job I interview if they ask u how hard u are yonna work or something like that and you say I dont know as pong as I get paid how many people will be lining up fpr u

He was an undfa for a reason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: