Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 things I think I know....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Dawgs by Nature has a pretty decent article/blog/post discussing thoughts on the draft. Pretty reasonable view on the browns approach. Unfortunately, the poll at the end shows a few negative "fans" have been voting. Confused Thought a few of us voicing our opinions might lift the overall IQ of those voting.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/4/28/4278392/5-things-i-think-i-know-about-the-browns-draft

Quote:
So how did they do? I have to say I was somewhat disappointed, I was hoping for some starters to come out of day 3 and I see virtually zero percent chance of that. I give them an I for Incomplete, and hope we are calling them geniuses this time next year.

And this is about how I feel. I little disappointed, but hopeful that they made good choices long term.

I think we DID get a starter day three. Those two trades we made will produce a starter in 2014. And a starter who can actually be GOOD, not some hole filler from this draft.

Starter doesnt always = good.

That's nice.

And we had a 2nd round pick (Gordon), too.

And if you add that all up we got bupkis in terms of making the team better this year.

Future draft picks = nothing this year; Gordon = incremental, hopefully.

That's a great thought process if you prefer to NEVER be good only to "attempt" to be slightly better right now than the previous year.

And I don't care what we call the guys right now, I care what we are calling them in a few years.

I hate waiting too, but not enough to make me want some marginal half-assed talent in the 4th and 5th this year when we can get higher picks next year in a draft most seem to think has better talent anyway.
So...............higher picks in a draft that is better...............yes.

Unless you really feel the 4th and 5th rounders we could have drafted would have taken us somewhere significant.

I guess I just don't see why you would be opposed to doing this every year in order to have better players to choose from EVERY year....starting in 2014.

I want to do it on an ever larger scare and get extra 2nds and maybe even 1sts.

Not against or disagreeing with the strategy...just questioning the "we DID get a starter" comment.

We didn't for this year for sure, and who knows re next year.

What the hell type of logic is this?

When does any team know the day after the draft is over whether or not they drafted a starter in the 4th/5th?

Anyone with the ability to do basic math sees the value in what the Browns did. Not sayin' you don't, but it's pretty clear and easy.l

Again.

And still doesn't = a starter this year.

How do you...

I mean...

How do you know?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
bruceb wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Dawgs by Nature has a pretty decent article/blog/post discussing thoughts on the draft. Pretty reasonable view on the browns approach. Unfortunately, the poll at the end shows a few negative "fans" have been voting. Confused Thought a few of us voicing our opinions might lift the overall IQ of those voting.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/4/28/4278392/5-things-i-think-i-know-about-the-browns-draft

Quote:
So how did they do? I have to say I was somewhat disappointed, I was hoping for some starters to come out of day 3 and I see virtually zero percent chance of that. I give them an I for Incomplete, and hope we are calling them geniuses this time next year.

And this is about how I feel. I little disappointed, but hopeful that they made good choices long term.

I think we DID get a starter day three. Those two trades we made will produce a starter in 2014. And a starter who can actually be GOOD, not some hole filler from this draft.

That's nice.

And if you add that all up we got bupkis in terms of making the team better this year.

That's a great thought process if you prefer to NEVER be good only to "attempt" to be slightly better right now than the previous year.

And I don't care what we call the guys right now, I care what we are calling them in a few years.

I hate waiting too, but not enough to make me want some marginal half-assed talent in the 4th and 5th this year when we can get higher picks next year in a draft most seem to think has better talent anyway.

Unless you really feel the 4th and 5th rounders we could have drafted would have taken us somewhere significant.

I guess I just don't see why you would be opposed to doing this every year in order to have better players to choose from EVERY year....starting in 2014.

Not against or disagreeing with the strategy...just questioning the "we DID get a starter" comment.

When does any team know the day after the draft is over whether or not they drafted a starter in the 4th/5th?

Anyone with the ability to do basic math sees the value in what the Browns did. Not sayin' you don't, but it's pretty clear and easy.l

Again.

How do you...

I mean...

How do you know?

I don't...it's just a projection...(dare I say for fear of incurring MBTL's wrath) a probability.

Just like the 3rd and 4th we picked up for next year, which are in fact next year (2014), as opposed to this year (2013).
Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Entropy wrote:
bruceb wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Quote:

That's nice.

Again.

How do you...

I mean...

How do you know?

I don't...it's just a projection...(dare I say for fear of incurring MBTL's wrath) a probability.

Just like the 3rd and 4th we picked up for next year, which are in fact next year (2014), as opposed to this year (2013).

Probabilities are typically quantifiable...just FYI...I think you are speculating

You could speculate a probability...so what do you think the probability is of getting a major contributor for the Browns at our picks in rounds 4 and 5 in 2013 vs in rounds 3 and 4 in 2014?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Entropy wrote:
bruceb wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Quote:

That's nice.

Again.

How do you...

I mean...

How do you know?

Probabilities are typically quantifiable...just FYI...I think you are speculating

You could speculate a probability...so what do you think the probability is of getting a major contributor for the Browns at our picks in rounds 4 and 5 in 2013 vs in rounds 3 and 4 in 2014?

Probably more accurate (pun intended).

There are historical stats on what % of picks by round made it.

My recollection is that there is a pretty quick falloff after round 2.

It does have random characteristics, but the judgment thing kind of queers that.
Entropy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
Entropy wrote:
bruceb wrote:
Entropy wrote:
bruceb wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Quote:

That's nice.

Again.

How do you...

I mean...

How do you know?

It does have random characteristics, but the judgment thing kind of queers that.

Well, considering that I happen to know that many starting CBs in the NFL are NOT drafted in the 1st or 2nd round (nor are they even playing for the team that drafted them)...I 'll assume that this dropoff you are talking about is mostly for QBs?

I think for non-QBs (maybe non-WRs too) the largest dropoff would be AFTER the 3d round. I still don't think even that applies to CBs, by the way...I think it might be even after the 4th or 5th...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
I have no problem with the trades, but how many people were happy to hear Leon McFadden's name called with other Corners that were generally rated higher?

didnt we have the same problem with Schwartz?

Ppl were upset we drafted him when better names were on the board, Schwartz comes out and becomes the 2nd best tackle to come from that draft and becomes the best RT from that draft

Perhaps, but I felt Shwartz was the best tackle on the board when he was drafted. Not sure many people felt that about McFadden.

Entropy - As for the future picks, yes it's great. But Banner's draft record isn't great and none of the actual picks (not talking about Gordon, Bess or trades) that were made provided comfort in that area. Mingo is high risk/reward, especially for 6th overall and I would have preferred the trade back w/STL, pick up extra picks and draft just before Steelers and Bengals. Value in this draft was 2nd round. Also if we then wanted to trade those picks could have been for future 1st rounders.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not upset, but there were some intriguing names on the board in the 4th round. I would have been fine taking a gamble, but I'm cool especially with that 3rd rounder next year and if that extra 4th means we can get whoever we want next year awesome.

The way I look at it is they must have thought the drop off was great enough that they'd rather wait to start their priority undrafted free agent quality search until the later rounds. Who knows where they graded the 17 undrafted free agents we signed.
duke2056

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:

Well whatyaknow......................do you have any idea how easily we could trade a 3rd and a 4th to move up for a later 2nd rounder???

Now do the math on getting a nice player at that spot next year vs some dart throws this year.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
I have no problem with the trades, but how many people were happy to hear Leon McFadden's name called with other Corners that were generally rated higher?

Me. I had him on my list of guys I wanted at CB Wink At that point I did want Will Davis a wee bit more.

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonanza23 wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:

Me. I had him on my list of guys I wanted at CB Wink At that point I did want Will Davis a wee bit more.

It took me a second to pull up his name...

he was graded HIGHER than some of the other cbs already taken, and was not far off from the "names" that many of us were looking for.

then I saw that he was rated highly in man press coverage and I was happy with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
Entropy - As for the future picks, yes it's great. But Banner's draft record isn't great and none of the actual picks (not talking about Gordon, Bess or trades) that were made provided comfort in that area. Mingo is high risk/reward, especially for 6th overall and I would have preferred the trade back w/STL, pick up extra picks and draft just before Steelers and Bengals. Value in this draft was 2nd round. Also if we then wanted to trade those picks could have been for future 1st rounders.

This draft was so weak that I don't know if there was any player that could provide comfort... They took the guy that they think, 2 years from now, will be developed into a beast. They felt Mingo had that highest chance of that happening.

I was on board with the trade back too, buts its not a huge deal to me.

At what point did anyone trade a future first? It didn't happen. And i don't think anyone wanted too. So thats kind of a moot point.
Entropy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:

Ppl were upset we drafted him when better names were on the board, Schwartz comes out and becomes the 2nd best tackle to come from that draft and becomes the best RT from that draft

Perhaps, but I felt Shwartz was the best tackle on the board when he was drafted. Not sure many people felt that about McFadden.

See, the thing is, people said Heckert's draft record wasn't all that great...some say he was simply a sounding board for Reid while he was in Philly and shouldn't get credit for any success they had there...some say Banner was responsible for the Eagles draft picks, if they don't like the picks...

Some say Lombardi picked Vardell and Powell...some say Al Davis was the scapegoat for Lombardi

Some say that one guy is always responsible for every draft pick...unless it turned out to be a clearly great pick--then it was this other guy..

The bottom line is that all these things really are simply reflection of an individual's attitude about another individual.

The reality is that, with the exception of maybe Jerry Jones for a year or so, no one person is really alone in making the decision--but there usually is one that is held responsible (and not always the one that should be held responsible)

The Pats trade a 4th and a 5th for a 3rd and a 4th next year? Genius, because they must be doing it all right since they are wining...the Browns do it? Well, they haven't earned the right to emulate good teams yet.

The Steelers take a 4th round scrub safety and he's the next Polamalu...since the Steelers ALWAYS draft well...

Um, does anyone actually look at what the Steelers have done in the 4th round? After Larry Foote (in 2002) and Ike Taylor (2003)...the next 'best' 4th rounder they've had since 2000 was Willie Colon (2006)...the next guy was....who knows? Whole buncha nothin'

Anyone care to look at the Steelers drafts from 2008 to 2012 (5 drafts) and tell me why they deserved an 'A' every year?...it's all attitude...not fact-based

So I don't really care about opinion of 'draft records' when the person responsible for the record itself is in question...what I actually care about is that the Browns improve...and I honestly don't see what more could have been done, realistically, than what WAS done.

It's like people expected to get proven players from the draft...oh, well, we actually did get one (Bess), but let's ignore that (attitude)...The Browns ignored the CB position in Free agency, even though they signed 2 CBs and negotiated with 2 others that signed somewhere else (attitude).

The Browns 'wasted' their 4th and 5h round draft picks when they could have gotten "a player who becomes an integral starting player" (Grossi-attitude)

The Browns picked a highly touted top-10 pick at #6 who suddenly became a one-dimensional situational pass-rusher who probably won't start...WHAT?!?!? (attitude)

I say we smack these media hate-mongers in the face this season...and I I'll wager we will...not saying playoffs or anything...but by imposing our identity as an aggressive attacking franchise.

Location: 2013 Adopt a Brownie: Leon McFadden: 1 solo tackle, 1 assist
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:
buno67 wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:

See, the thing is, people said Heckert's draft record wasn't all that great...some say he was simply a sounding board for Reid while he was in Philly and shouldn't get credit for any success they had there...some say Banner was responsible for the Eagles draft picks, if they don't like the picks...

Some say Lombardi picked Vardell and Powell...some say Al Davis was the scapegoat for Lombardi

Some say that one guy is always responsible for every draft pick...unless it turned out to be a clearly great pick--then it was this other guy..

The bottom line is that all these things really are simply reflection of an individual's attitude about another individual.

The reality is that, with the exception of maybe Jerry Jones for a year or so, no one person is really alone in making the decision--but there usually is one that is held responsible (and not always the one that should be held responsible)

The Pats trade a 4th and a 5th for a 3rd and a 4th next year? Genius, because they must be doing it all right since they are wining...the Browns do it? Well, they haven't earned the right to emulate good teams yet.

The Steelers take a 4th round scrub safety and he's the next Polamalu...since the Steelers ALWAYS draft well...

Um, does anyone actually look at what the Steelers have done in the 4th round? After Larry Foote (in 2002) and Ike Taylor (2003)...the next 'best' 4th rounder they've had since 2000 was Willie Colon (2006)...the next guy was....who knows? Whole buncha nothin'

Anyone care to look at the Steelers drafts from 2008 to 2012 (5 drafts) and tell me why they deserved an 'A' every year?...it's all attitude...not fact-based

So I don't really care about opinion of 'draft records' when the person responsible for the record itself is in question...what I actually care about is that the Browns improve...and I honestly don't see what more could have been done, realistically, than what WAS done.

It's like people expected to get proven players from the draft...oh, well, we actually did get one (Bess), but let's ignore that (attitude)...The Browns ignored the CB position in Free agency, even though they signed 2 CBs and negotiated with 2 others that signed somewhere else (attitude).

The Browns 'wasted' their 4th and 5h round draft picks when they could have gotten "a player who becomes an integral starting player" (Grossi-attitude)

The Browns picked a highly touted top-10 pick at #6 who suddenly became a one-dimensional situational pass-rusher who probably won't start...WHAT?!?!? (attitude)

I say we smack these media hate-mongers in the face this season...and I I'll wager we will...not saying playoffs or anything...but by imposing our identity as an aggressive attacking franchise.

This sums up my feelings after this past season. We are becoming a high velocity team, however we didnt have the people who know how to use the tools drafted. I think Heckert did a good job getting us competitive. We've been in MANY games in the past few seasons, we were THAT close. You can think of all of the plays that turned the tide out of our favor, but it all comes down to discipline and execution, and discipline comes from the top down. Execution is limited by the range of your "talent" or "ability" but "instincts" and "heart" can bolster and provide compensation. I had so much fun watching the 2012 Browns season, as opposed to the 2011 season when I passed out halfway through games, because we were down by more than 3. But we WILL NOT GET RESPECT even after a good season, unless we can start putting them back to back. But regardless, it only takes one season to win it all.

Reppin in Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know if this was already covered.....but I can "understand" what the braintrust is doing.....with H&H, we have assembled enough tallent on this team to win.....IMO.....we are already one of the 3-4 youngest teams in the league....and we are all waiting on talent we have seen flashes of become more consistent....now we could have added more talent in the 2ndary at CB, but I am personally amped to see how Buster Skine does (this should be his year), I am excited to see what Tayshaun Gipson does at FS (he looked good for an UDFA last year when healthy), T.Wade looked like a find in the preseason and in the regular season of course didnt look as good, but he didnt look lost, which gets me amped for his second season, moving Johnson Bendomsi to FS/SS is almost like getting another draft pick IMO....he is not fluid enough to play CB...be athletic wise we've seen him on Special teams, he's faster then any DB we got save Hayden, he's as strong as an ILB, and he graduated from Stanford.....sounds like a perfect FS/SS/LB hybrid type of player that Horton is going to get some Mileage out of.

We could have added LB....but with Robertson, JMJ, Tank Carder and Fort, I'd like to see what another year in the system and weight room can do....oops forgot we did add 3 LBS....Mingo, Kruger and Q.G......

I could go on and on about the TE group, the Oline group ect.....but we do have young talent that is still developing......so these trades now make sense to me that these cats are on a two year plan regardless....this season I see them letting this talent develop another year with MUCH superior coaching.....next year we will be in position to finally round out our team into serious playoff contention.....

lets say we go 5-11 again....for us to do that, a LOT of our talent has not taken that 2nd step....and we will be armed with 9 draft picks to get what we need....lests say we finish 7-9 but Weeden stinks it up.....Lombardi and them will be in position to trade a 1rst, 2nd, 3rd and 4th that year (and a 3rd in 2015) to move up to get the QB we want and still have a draft like
1rst- Teddy BridgeWater (just picking somone)
3rd-
4th
5th
6th
7th

So I do see some logic in it.....

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: