Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 things I think I know....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duke2056

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we consistently do what we just did, starting next year we will have an extra 3rd instead of a 5th rounder EVERY season forever.
Think about that for a moment.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
Dawgpoun8017

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I hated with our trade with Pitt is they took my boy shamarko... Gonna hate seeing him there Crying or Very sad

Adopt a Brownie

TJ "Trauma" Ward

TKL- 75, INT- 2, Sack- 1.5,PDF-7, TD-2

briggsie2006

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:
The odds of getting a starter out of round 4 are about 18% and that goes down further into the day.

So why are we upset again about day 3?

Because people are homers and think we should go from a 5 win team that had an owner change, regime change, new offense, new defense, etc, and think we are SB contenders even with a lack of picks, modest FA spending, and major holes on this team.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

briggsie2006 wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:
The odds of getting a starter out of round 4 are about 18% and that goes down further into the day.

So why are we upset again about day 3?

Because people are homers and think we should go from a 5 win team that had an owner change, regime change, new offense, new defense, etc, and think we are SB contenders even with a lack of picks, modest FA spending, and major holes on this team.

Or maybe they think we should win because we have a potential great RB, offensive line and receivers. If the QB plays well, our offense should be very good.

On defense we have a very good line, potential for above average LB core, an elite CB and a very good safety.

If Weeden plays well there is no reason we shouldn't win this year. We have strong coordinators. If Chud is an average game manager I see no reason not to be optimistic.

No one is saying super bowl, I'm guessing you are just exaggerating to make your point. We have holes on our team, but so do about 30 other teams. Our question marks are a bigger indicator if we will win this year than our holes are. If we get solid play from the most important positions we can overcome weaknesses we make have in the secondary.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
The majority of a fanbase is clueless to what football really is.

I love the trades b/c building for the future is always, always a good idea. AND they are picks in what should be a much much stronger draft.

For anyone who is doubting bulldog on the fist sentence, I encourage you to visit this site for further evidence.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
duke2056

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bulldog wrote:

I love the trades b/c building for the future is always, always a good idea. AND they are picks in what should be a much much stronger draft.

For anyone who is doubting bulldog on the fist sentence, I encourage you to visit this site for further evidence.

Also, the majority of the fanbase would not frequent a site such as this. And yes, most Browns fans I speak with are raging morons. Good loyal fans, but they don't know very much about football in general or how things work. I think this would be about 80% of people at the games, and about 95% of everyone else.

So who's with me, we trade our 4th and 5th every single year forever for a future 3rd and 4th, and starting next year we have a 1,2,3,3,4,6,7

LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bulldog wrote:

Also, the majority of the fanbase would not frequent a site such as this. And yes, most Browns fans I speak with are raging morons. Good loyal fans, but they don't know very much about football in general or how things work. I think this would be about 80% of people at the games, and about 95% of everyone else.

So who's with me, we trade our 4th and 5th every single year forever for a future 3rd and 4th, and starting next year we have a 1,2,3,3,4,6,7

This is pretty much what BB does only instead of being a 'timid idiot' as some seem to think Banner/Lombardi are, he's hailed a genius.

duke2056

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
bulldog wrote:

This is pretty much what BB does only instead of being a 'timid idiot' as some seem to think Banner/Lombardi are, he's hailed a genius.

Well, we have seen the fruits of what happens when you consistently do what they do. They always, year in and year out, have a better assortement of draft picks than most of the other teams..........even though they always go very deep in the playoffs.

They can do this year in and year out because BB has about the best job security of any coach in sports, and they don't need to squeeze every tiny ounce of value out of each pick every year to try and keep their jobs over there.

I guarantee you those same people (most anyway) will change their tune about trading those picks next year, and every following year, if we do it.

bruceb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Dawgs by Nature has a pretty decent article/blog/post discussing thoughts on the draft. Pretty reasonable view on the browns approach. Unfortunately, the poll at the end shows a few negative "fans" have been voting. Confused Thought a few of us voicing our opinions might lift the overall IQ of those voting.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/4/28/4278392/5-things-i-think-i-know-about-the-browns-draft

Quote:
So how did they do? I have to say I was somewhat disappointed, I was hoping for some starters to come out of day 3 and I see virtually zero percent chance of that. I give them an I for Incomplete, and hope we are calling them geniuses this time next year.

And this is about how I feel. I little disappointed, but hopeful that they made good choices long term.

I think we DID get a starter day three. Those two trades we made will produce a starter in 2014. And a starter who can actually be GOOD, not some hole filler from this draft.

Starter doesnt always = good.

That's nice.

And we had a 2nd round pick (Gordon), too.

And if you add that all up we got bupkis in terms of making the team better this year.

Future draft picks = nothing this year; Gordon = incremental, hopefully.
duke2056

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:
Dawgs by Nature has a pretty decent article/blog/post discussing thoughts on the draft. Pretty reasonable view on the browns approach. Unfortunately, the poll at the end shows a few negative "fans" have been voting. Confused Thought a few of us voicing our opinions might lift the overall IQ of those voting.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/4/28/4278392/5-things-i-think-i-know-about-the-browns-draft

Quote:
So how did they do? I have to say I was somewhat disappointed, I was hoping for some starters to come out of day 3 and I see virtually zero percent chance of that. I give them an I for Incomplete, and hope we are calling them geniuses this time next year.

And this is about how I feel. I little disappointed, but hopeful that they made good choices long term.

I think we DID get a starter day three. Those two trades we made will produce a starter in 2014. And a starter who can actually be GOOD, not some hole filler from this draft.

That's nice.

And if you add that all up we got bupkis in terms of making the team better this year.

That's a great thought process if you prefer to NEVER be good only to "attempt" to be slightly better right now than the previous year.

And I don't care what we call the guys right now, I care what we are calling them in a few years.

I hate waiting too, but not enough to make me want some marginal half-assed talent in the 4th and 5th this year when we can get higher picks next year in a draft most seem to think has better talent anyway.
So...............higher picks in a draft that is better...............yes.

Unless you really feel the 4th and 5th rounders we could have drafted would have taken us somewhere significant.

I guess I just don't see why you would be opposed to doing this every year in order to have better players to choose from EVERY year....starting in 2014.

I want to do it on an ever larger scare and get extra 2nds and maybe even 1sts.

LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Quote:

That's nice.

So...you're saying future draft picks don't help this year but instead in the future???

duke2056

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and by the way, I am not suggesting in any way that I think our front office "nailed" this draft.

I actually wish they would have traded down with the Rams and picked up that 2nd rounder, and at pick 16 gone with a guy like maybe Long, Eifert, Trufant or someone to that effect.

I do not know who they would have gone with at pick 46, but taking another corner along with Mcfadden woudlnt have been the worst thing ever.

I am not a huge fan of the Mingo pick, but if he is a baller then I guess I won't care too much about that.

duke2056

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

[quote="LETSGOBROWNIES"]
So...you're saying future draft picks don't help this year but instead in the future???

A year from now, the future will be the present, and people will love having those picks. I know I will.

LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

[quote="duke2056"]
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:

A year from now, the future will be the present, and people will love having those picks. I know I will.

Absolutely.

duke2056

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

[quote="LETSGOBROWNIES"]
duke2056 wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:

Absolutely.

I guess it's also fun to cut players, too. Something I could see happening with the guys we woulda drafted. Oh well, will need something else to go sub in for a simple pleasure next year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: