Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 things I think I know....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

Dawgs by Nature has a pretty decent article/blog/post discussing thoughts on the draft. Pretty reasonable view on the browns approach. Unfortunately, the poll at the end shows a few negative "fans" have been voting. Confused Thought a few of us voicing our opinions might lift the overall IQ of those voting.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/4/28/4278392/5-things-i-think-i-know-about-the-browns-draft

Quote:
So how did they do? I have to say I was somewhat disappointed, I was hoping for some starters to come out of day 3 and I see virtually zero percent chance of that. I give them an I for Incomplete, and hope we are calling them geniuses this time next year.

And this is about how I feel. I little disappointed, but hopeful that they made good choices long term.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
Dawgs by Nature has a pretty decent article/blog/post discussing thoughts on the draft. Pretty reasonable view on the browns approach. Unfortunately, the poll at the end shows a few negative "fans" have been voting. Confused Thought a few of us voicing our opinions might lift the overall IQ of those voting.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/4/28/4278392/5-things-i-think-i-know-about-the-browns-draft

Quote:
So how did they do? I have to say I was somewhat disappointed, I was hoping for some starters to come out of day 3 and I see virtually zero percent chance of that. I give them an I for Incomplete, and hope we are calling them geniuses this time next year.

And this is about how I feel. I little disappointed, but hopeful that they made good choices long term.

I think we DID get a starter day three. Those two trades we made will produce a starter in 2014. And a starter who can actually be GOOD, not some hole filler from this draft.

Starter doesnt always = good.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
briggsie2006

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 things I think I know.... Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
Dropkick_pride wrote:

Quote:

I think we DID get a starter day three. Those two trades we made will produce a starter in 2014. And a starter who can actually be GOOD, not some hole filler from this draft.

Starter doesnt always = good.

I have to say. I am intrigued by trading picks for better picks next year. I wasn't impressed by the talent this year. That gives us ammo to move around next year, or even to draft goo players next year. I like that we didn't draft just to draft.
bulldog

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of a fanbase is clueless to what football really is.

I love the trades b/c building for the future is always, always a good idea. AND they are picks in what should be a much much stronger draft.
BooyaCS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The odds of getting a starter out of round 4 are about 18% and that goes down further into the day.

So why are we upset again about day 3?
CanaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:

I love the trades b/c building for the future is always, always a good idea. AND they are picks in what should be a much much stronger draft.

I agree. I hate to use the word "process" but that is what it is, and it is perpetual. Unfortunately, there is a painful reality tied to starting over every 2 or 3 years. The roots never become established and it is hard to plug in the 1 or 2 pieces that are missing. We still aren't that team yet.

I had hoped that we'd come out stronger in the secondary, and I have some concern that Mingo won't start with Kruger and Sheard there (whereas Milliner would have been a clear starter), but I get what they are trying to do. If we had this draft with last year's coaching staff, I'd be a lot more concerned, but I think that we have the right coordinators in Horton and Turner to coach all of our players up and improve our time of possession.. I am looking forward to seeing an attitude that hasn't been there. Also, look at the schemes. We're going to Air Coryell with Norv, which suits Weeden more and will spread the D and allow for some more play action. On D, I was also worried about the move back to the 3-4 but it is looking like they've loaded up on the personnel. The aggressive style they want to bring in will hopefully take some pressure off our secondary.

I love having an extra couple of picks next year. Picks are currency in roster building. Their liquidity gives you a lot of flexibility. You can use them or easily trade them down or up. I wouldn't mind coming out of every draft with at least one extra pick for the following year. If we (and Weeden) totally tank this year, then we will have a little extra ammo for going after a top QB. If not, it might mean that we can start to focus on filling in some final pieces.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delayed gratification....

Something most people are not able to deal with.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wen I looked at this article this morning the browns had +60% fans saying F.....

Now it's down to 30%. Keep voting guys.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:
The odds of getting a starter out of round 4 are about 18% and that goes down further into the day.

^this

You said it best. On day 3 a team is lucky to get just a plain starter out of the draft. Mainly they are just 3rd stringers to special teams players. I for one am all for trading all picks after round 3 to try and get back into rounds 2 and 3 for more quality players. People [inappropriate/removed] just to [inappropriate/removed]. Sure there are some exceptions that make it in the league but the fact is, the later rounds are a crapshoot.
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:

I loved the trades. 3rd and a 4th could easily turn into an extra 2nd or a starter and a good project player.

that is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
KevinMack34

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BooyaCS wrote:

Not saying this isn't true, but where did you find that statistic. I'd be interested in looking at some similar stats.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinMack34 wrote:
BooyaCS wrote:

Not saying this isn't true, but where did you find that statistic. I'd be interested in looking at some similar stats.

There are a few articles online... None are exact. Those that appear to have been college/grad school I have found to be more valid in appearance than those that come from the media..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I would like...

To trade pitts 2014 3rd for a 2015 2nd.

Maximising value of assets, that's the mantra of the new Cleveland Browns
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poorbytehshore wrote:

I keep rolling our late picks forward each year. ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poorbytehshore wrote:

I don't know what next years draft class would look like, But I'd probably be inclined to use that pick.

The Browns have alot of questions right now, but most of the positions have younger unknown players and not older over the hill stop gap types. So they may be holes, they may not be. And the Browns could use those picks to finish up some rough edges.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: