Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packer Forum 2014 Draft Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squire12

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
BTW what does everybody make of this WR class? The top 3 guys seem too dumb, Lee and Watkins and as much as I love DAT he doesn't seem very smart. Then you have Dri Archer who is explosive but I am not sure if he can transition to WR, he struggles to naturally catch the ball at times and makes some bad drops.

I don't see Lee or Watkins on CBS's board yet, but of who they have up there, it looks like a weaker class. Many of these guys are kinda bigger receivers heightwise at least and they need to fix their 40 times. Rang and Brugler both have us going defense in the first round with Morgan Breslin and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu(CB, Oregon) respectively.

I think it's a bit early to judge an entire positional class seeings how we haven't even had any serious practices or games yet.

I'm really hoping we can get CJ Mosley. He's got that physicality that could be a massive upgrade at LB even if he plays inside. We have a lot of ILB's that will be in a make or break year and I wouldn't be surprised if we treated the ILB position next year like we did with RB this year.

Right now, here's my watch list:

CJ Mosely, LB, Alabama
Prince Shembo, OLB, ND
Ryne Giddins, OLB, South Florida
Dominique Easley, OLB(possibly 3-4 DE), Florida: Easley is 6-2, 283. If he bulks up he could possibly play 5-tech.
Caraun Reid, DE, Princeton
Calvin Barnett, DE, Okie St.
Bennett Jackson, CB, ND
Carrington Byndom, CB, Texas
Desmond Southward, FS, Wisconsin
Ahmad Dixon, SS, Baylor
Tre Boston, SS, North Carolina
Justin Jones, TE, East Carolina
Asa Watson, TE, NC State
Arthur Lynch, TE, Georgia
Tyler Larson, C, Utah State
Chris Burnette, G, Georgia
Seantrel Henderson, T, Miami(FL)
Those last 3 lineman, you can probably give up watching them from a Packers POV. I think Thompson really only goes after college LT's. Not sure why they wouldn't list Lee and Watkins, they should be in everybody's top 5, if not their 1 and 2 WR's. If you are going to watch USF, check out ND transfer Aaron Lynch. I thought he was better than Nix and Tuitt when Lynch was a freshman.

THe WR's may not be listed as I beleive they only list players that are in the final year of eligibility. Others who need to formally declare for the draft are likely not listed until they actually do declare (formally).
justo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
justo wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
To break down position of need IMO, contracts up in 2014:
TE
Jermichael Finley
Matthew Mulligan
Andrew Quarless
FS
Morgan Burnett
M.D. Jennings
DL
Ryan Pickett
B.J. Raji
Michael Neal
C.J. Wilson
C
Evan Dietrich-Smith
WR
James Jones
CB
Sam Shields
ST
Jamari Lattimore
Rob Francois

Depth at either strong side LB would be nice too.
1) They are working on a long-term deal with Shields, so I would assume that when he comes back, it's going to be more than just for 2013.

2)I think Morgan Burnett, B.J. Raji, and maybe Evan Dietrich-Smith are "must bring back" guys.

That's a pretty good list from Hyp, but I gotta say that Raji and Burnett are much more important than EDS. EDS is a stop-gap at this point, if he can develop into a solid player at C this year, then we bring him back. I just don't see that happening and I think we could do better.
Things changed when Tretter went down, IMO. If EDS is gone, then what?
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
justo wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
To break down position of need IMO, contracts up in 2014:
TE
Jermichael Finley
Matthew Mulligan
Andrew Quarless
FS
Morgan Burnett
M.D. Jennings
DL
Ryan Pickett
B.J. Raji
Michael Neal
C.J. Wilson
C
Evan Dietrich-Smith
WR
James Jones
CB
Sam Shields
ST
Jamari Lattimore
Rob Francois

Depth at either strong side LB would be nice too.
1) They are working on a long-term deal with Shields, so I would assume that when he comes back, it's going to be more than just for 2013.

2)I think Morgan Burnett, B.J. Raji, and maybe Evan Dietrich-Smith are "must bring back" guys.

That's a pretty good list from Hyp, but I gotta say that Raji and Burnett are much more important than EDS. EDS is a stop-gap at this point, if he can develop into a solid player at C this year, then we bring him back. I just don't see that happening and I think we could do better.
Things changed when Tretter went down, IMO. If EDS is gone, then what?

If EDS is gone, that means someone beat him out and was either just as good or better. I could actually see Patrick Lewis doing this. There was the one scout that was quoted in a previous thread(before the draft) claiming Johnny Football should give Lewis part of his Heisman for that win over 'Bama. Just not sure why Lewis was ranked so low come draft day.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went and watched Ty Zimmerman vs OK. Didn't like coverage skills at all. Not a fan.
pollino14

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what positions are you guys looking at for us this early? Tackle?WR? Safety?ILB?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
So what positions are you guys looking at for us this early? Tackle?WR? Safety?ILB?
ILB? We just gave Jones a "big" contract and still have Bishop/Hawk on the roster..
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
ILB? We just gave Jones a "big" contract and still have Bishop/Hawk on the roster..
Yeah not ILB unless Bishop gets hurt again and Hawk/Jones massively regress. I am mostly looking at Free Safety and Left Tackle. We'll see where this year leads us!
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

I think Manning is really going to open eyes and make one of those three expendable after this year.
pollino14

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justo wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

Hawk... Not a fan.

Jones' contract wasn't huge, and he's still an average to below average starter.

Wouldn't shock me at all if we look to upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
justo wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

Hawk... Not a fan.

Jones' contract wasn't huge, and he's still an average to below average starter.

But ILB isn't really a premium position at all. Ted has pretty much tipped his hand lately that he values the trenches much more than other positions. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see us go after another Left Tackle.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
justo wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

Hawk... Not a fan.

But ILB isn't really a premium position at all. Ted has pretty much tipped his hand lately that he values the trenches much more than other positions. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see us go after another Left Tackle.
I would. It's going to be a defensive pick, most likely Safety. second round will go offense and possibly the third.
pollino14

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
justo wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

Hawk... Not a fan.

I agree 100%, the trenches are more important.

I don't think D line will be a priority next year with guys like Worthy/Neal/Jones and Raji.

Offensively we could get another tackle if Sherrod doesn't come back strong.

With so few "needs", we're just gonna look for the player who could improve our team the most, and I think that could be ILB.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
pollino14 wrote:
justo wrote:
pollino14 wrote:

Hawk... Not a fan.

I would. It's going to be a defensive pick, most likely Safety. second round will go offense and possibly the third.
But you have to remember BPA. Thompson won't just go out and get a safety just to get one and I'd say he holds a high value on trench play. Do we need a FS right now? Yes but TT always has 1 eye on the future and he is obviously comfortable putting high pick into protecting Rodgers. Also TT apparently likes his safeties to be above average athletes at said position. Hence no Cyprien or Harrison Smith.
PFB333

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with PackFan4Life about Manning.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of questions about that ILB spot. Does a 29 year old Desmond Bishop rebound back from that injury to cement himself back in the defense? Is AJ Hawk at age 29 in his final years? Is Brad Jones what he's made out to be by fans who generally, are looking for anyone not named Hawk to play ILB? Is Manning a fit in the 3-4? There are questions there that should be worked out and we could be looking at TWO new ILB next year.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 7 of 99

Jump to: