You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packer Forum 2014 Draft Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 97, 98, 99  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my lady is a USC grad and I've taken notice of Dion Bailey. Looks to have good physical tools and is fluid in coverage. I like his ball skills and it seems like he is a physical tackler that you can blitz from the slot. He spent two years playing as an undersized linebacker, but is a natural at FS it seems. Would be interested to hear more him from some of you expert types.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=105017&draftyear=2015&genpos=SS

http://www.foxsportswest.com/collegefootball/usc-trojans/story/Bailey-provides-emotional-boost-in-USCs-?blockID=954985&feedID=3709
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I keep reminding myself about looking at the S position and who might be a Packer target in the draft to help this position:

What I am seeing on the field is only a small piece of what is going to become the Packer draft profile for this position. Unlike most of the other positions where you look at the physical attributes, production on the field and the positional drills/track times- it is going to come down mainly to what the prospect displays to the brass between the ears. From what I understand, they will really X and O a guy a lot for the S position in the pre-draft process for this defense, especially if they are looking for a guy to possibly be taken really high and make an immediate impact.

We will not have access or any clue, based on what we are seeing on Saturdays or when the track and field event times come out, if that candidate is truly on their radar for a S draft slot because the biggest determinant for this position is probably taking place when they meet with that prospect on a white board.
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so long as the deed gets done no later than round 2 i am fine with it, its just a necessity at this point, it is the most glaring hole that we have.

Is there any high grading centers worthy of 1st round status pre-workout? Stork maybe?
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nugget from Todd McShay today is that a couple of NFL scouts have told him that Logan Thomas is still a 2nd round pick.

Those Scouts have to be messing with McShay so he'll look dumb when he repeats that in public, right?
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arodsmightybelt wrote:
so long as the deed gets done no later than round 2 i am fine with it, its just a necessity at this point, it is the most glaring hole that we have.

Is there any high grading centers worthy of 1st round status pre-workout? Stork maybe?
TBH, I wouldn't even waste my time thinking about that. When was the last time TT drafted a true center? So far it looks like he is sliding LT's into C. Bakhtiari, Lang, EDS, Barclay, Tretter, Bulaga, Sherrod, all college LT's and I think Sitton was a RT. I would be shocked if we drafted a true center high.
MMcKay16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Nugget from Todd McShay today is that a couple of NFL scouts have told him that Logan Thomas is still a 2nd round pick.

Those Scouts have to be messing with McShay so he'll look dumb when he repeats that in public, right?

Hey, who would have thought the Cowboys had a first round grade on Frederick? You just never know sometimes.
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Arodsmightybelt wrote:

TBH, I wouldn't even waste my time thinking about that. When was the last time TT drafted a true center? So far it looks like he is sliding LT's into C. Bakhtiari, Lang, EDS, Barclay, Tretter, Bulaga, Sherrod, all college LT's and I think Sitton was a RT. I would be shocked if we drafted a true center high.

i hope he considers it. Everyone loves how pretty our run game has become. It can get a LOT more pretty with a high quality true center
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Arodsmightybelt wrote:

Sitton was a RT in college but they had a left handed QB if I recall correctly which means he was protecting the QBs blindside like most LTs do.

Also, EDS has been playing some pretty darn good football of late. If they continue to use him to his strengths and he continues making good calls I don't see a huge need at C. He should be able to be resigned for relatively cheap. An upgrade there might be nice but I have my doubts whether it is needed or even likely to happen with a rookie in there. All things considered I think resigning EDS for a couple years and having Tretter back him up is both the likeliest and best option going forward.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arodsmightybelt wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Arodsmightybelt wrote:

i hope he considers it. Everyone loves how pretty our run game has become. It can get a LOT more pretty with a high quality true center

Keep in mind TT liked Tretter enough to draft him before Bahktiari and Hyde.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
One thing I keep reminding myself about looking at the S position and who might be a Packer target in the draft to help this position:

What I am seeing on the field is only a small piece of what is going to become the Packer draft profile for this position. Unlike most of the other positions where you look at the physical attributes, production on the field and the positional drills/track times- it is going to come down mainly to what the prospect displays to the brass between the ears. From what I understand, they will really X and O a guy a lot for the S position in the pre-draft process for this defense, especially if they are looking for a guy to possibly be taken really high and make an immediate impact.

We will not have access or any clue, based on what we are seeing on Saturdays or when the track and field event times come out, if that candidate is truly on their radar for a S draft slot because the biggest determinant for this position is probably taking place when they meet with that prospect on a white board.

Both Collins and McMillian lacked in this department, Rouse too. Jennings and Burnett are pretty bright guys, but there's not enough to say that this is a main determinant or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:

Hyde, not Bakhtiari.

Tretter was #122, Bakhtiari was #109 (TT's third pick of the draft.)
Macc_Aviv

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:

Hyde, not Bakhtiari.

Thanks for the correction. Not sure why I remembered that in the opposite order.
Csraverage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:

Hyde, not Bakhtiari.

Thanks for the correction. Not sure why I remembered that in the opposite order.

Cocaine is a Helluva drug.
Arodsmightybelt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macc_Aviv wrote:
PossibleCabbage wrote:
Macc_Aviv wrote:

Hyde, not Bakhtiari.

to be fair I did too......not sure why??

and noted on your point, i hope tretter works out. I will cull the center horn if he does well
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
PackFan4Life wrote:

Both Collins and McMillian lacked in this department, Rouse too. Jennings and Burnett are pretty bright guys, but there's not enough to say that this is a main determinant or not.

Actually this is not true. They lacked on the wonderlic and in perceived book intelligence- not football intelligence. One of the post draft stories from the Burnett draft was that the Packer brass was very impressed by Burnett in the meeting room to the point they traded up for him and made him a higher round pick.

Throw out the Collins pick. That pick was not made with this defense originally in mind at all.

McMillian and Rouse were mid round picks they were willing to work with. I am talking about taking a prospect to play S in this defense that is worth taking in the first 2-3 rounds. If this regime is going to do that, that prospect will have to impress them not only with the numbers and on Saturdays, but with what they show on the white board in a meeting room- ala Burnett.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 13 of 99

Jump to: