Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offensive Line
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cddolphin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winston makes me feel a helluva lot better about the OL. Ireland said Thomas will play on the left side. I find that unusual because if Martin is our LT he'll have a rookie LG next to him.

Ultimately I do think we sign Winston and our OL will look like this:

LT: Martin (Yeatman)
LG: Incognito (Thomas)
C: Pouncey
RG: Jerry (Louis)
RT: Winston (Garner)

Louis probably won't be ready to start day 1 and if his rehab goes well I think we resign him to replace Jerry in 2014. I doubt Thomas beats out Incognito or even Jerry this season. He'll be groomed to be our future LG IMO.
SUG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as both Ireland & Philbin said Dallas Thomas will play on the left side.
Where they "left the door open" was the position.
I hope this means competition for J. Martin but more than likely it means Incognito moves over to RG.

So if the deal for Winston gets done were looking at a "solid Oline".

As much as I like Deion Jordan to me the entire success of the draft hinges on Dallas Thomas contributing, improving & the Oline keeping Tannehill from getting killed.

As Tannehil goes so will the Phins.

sug
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad do you guys think the line was when Long went down? Outside of the New England game (which was a complete disaster) the team gave up no more then 2 sacks (which is about average for most teams). The team only gave up 2 sacks against the best pass rushing defense in the NFL.

I think we are making the offensive line much worse then it actually was. Does it need to be improved, yes I won't deny that the team needs to upgrade in some areas, but is it in a dire state as we speak, no. The more I watch of Lane Johnson the more I think he would have been no better then Martin next season. He was athletic, but his kick step and foot work was really bad. Alberts price would have been too high and passing on him is the better move. Bring in Winston to sure up the right side, add some competition to push Martin (which everything I have read has been busting his tail to improve his strength and technique in the off-season) and go from there. By the way....neither of the Super Bowl teams had a 1st round "elite" LT starting for them....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, guys, guys...stop it please!!! Dallas Thomas is not playing any tackle position. I would not even count on him starting at LG. He is a 4th rounder dude. Lets just hope the guy makes the team first before we declare him as reliable. I do not like the combination of him never running a zone blocking scheme to him having a weak lower body, but we will see. Incognito has limitations but he is a veteran. Just let everything run its course. As far as I am concerned there are two starters, Incognito and Pouncey. Everyone else is up for debate.

On another note, Jerry is not going to play RT. Remember why he got moved to RG? How quickly we forget.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovaw8lover wrote:
Guys, guys, guys...stop it please!!! Dallas Thomas is not playing any tackle position. I would not even count on him starting at LG. He is a 4th rounder dude. Lets just hope the guy makes the team first before we declare him as reliable. I do not like the combination of him never running a zone blocking scheme to him having a weak lower body, but we will see. Incognito has limitations but he is a veteran. Just let everything run its course. As far as I am concerned there are two starters, Incognito and Pouncey. Everyone else is up for debate.

On another note, Jerry is not going to play RT. Remember why he got moved to RG? How quickly we forget.

Tennessee runs a ZBS, so he has experience....

I think most believe Thomas is there to compete for a position...I doubt he plays LT and I still think the team would be better served by bringing in McKinnie...I know he's not great, but he played very well in the play-offs and would be very solid insurance incase Martin hasn't improved or get hurt.

Ireland has mentioned that he is not done tweaking the roster so I would expect to see at least a couple more lineman to come into camp and compete beyond the Rookie FA guys and what is already on the roster. Remember this is Ireland do or die year with the franchise (same with Philbin)...Ross has payed out more then 100 million in gauranteed money,,,ol' boy wants a winner and soon. I highly doubt they will go into the season with Martin at LT if they believe he can't get the job done.

I'll say it again....Sign Winston for 3 years, McKinnie for 1; neither should be more then 3 million a yea,r let everyone compete and the best one plays....simple.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ57 wrote:
If I was Ireland, I'd be calling every team that drafted a tackle. Not every team is going to have someone they now want to trade but some might. Brandon Albert isn't the player who considered himself a LT and who's team drafted a LT. For every team who is willing to consider a trade it reduces Albert's leverage a little bit more.

You may be right about calling other teams...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/29/jeff-ireland-says-branden-albert-trade-could-still-happen/

Quote:
“The tackle position is an important position,” Ireland said. “It’s an important position. But I feel like we have some flexibility. There are some options out there. I have some things up my sleeve that might work out. We’re going to have to fill the need probably with a veteran guy on the street at some point.”

This could still be one of those famous smoke screens we keep talking about, or gaining leverage over KC in the Albert trade....either way it looks as though he is pursuing something. Fear not Dolphin fans....Tannehill will hopefully not have his arse killed in 2013 (who would want those pretty white uniforms dirty anyways)...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant McKinnie visiting the Dolphins today....

Quote:
Jeff Darlington

I'm told free agent tackle Bryant McKinnie is visiting Dolphins' facility today. Team obviously needs a tackle. McKinnie now on the radar.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: