Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post draft Lions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nopussycat wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
If we could get Koppen and Clabo, this offseason would be near perfect.

If we just signed Clabo it would be a huge upgrade in the run game.
Actually, let's get it straight.

Koppen is a wash in pass protection, and a huge downgrade in run-blocking, from Raiola. He was graded negatively big-time in run support, whereas Raiola just barely made it from the negative side of the scale.

Clabo has a negligible impact on the run game in comparison to Goz, and is a huge downgrade in pass protection.

Aside from depth purposes, these two aren't gonna be any improvements to what we already have.
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
detroitroar wrote:
Id imagine Whitehead would be favored or expected to win the OLB job.

Palmer has done decent filling in, but is best suited in a backup role and on ST's.

As of now it sounds like Palmer is the favorite to start but maybe they're just saying that right now due to his seniority and wanting Whitehead or Lewis to earn it.
Now that the Lion's have made it a point of emphasis to get bigger and more physical along the DL, I'm actually more optimistic that Whitehead may be able to make an impact and win a starting position. He was just to small to handle the abuse he would've received playing behind the DL we had last year, with how they barely ever got a body on an OL and put a ton of pressure on our LBers to take on blocks.
Nopussycat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Nopussycat wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

Koppen is a wash in pass protection, and a huge downgrade in run-blocking, from Raiola. He was graded negatively big-time in run support, whereas Raiola just barely made it from the negative side of the scale.

Clabo has a negligible impact on the run game in comparison to Goz, and is a huge downgrade in pass protection.

Aside from depth purposes, these two aren't gonna be any improvements to what we already have.

I agree and disagree with you. Goz is a better athlete,and because of that, he is a better pass protector than Clabo. Clabo is a better technician, has a nastier disposition and is a more consistent run blocker (in my opinion) . Stick Clabo next to Warford and that is an aggressive mean right side of the line. Neither are great athletes, but opponents would have to respect the threat of the run.

Sig by Spartan4Life

The Lions can't suck forever,right?
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remaining Notable Free Agents:

John Abraham, DE
Dwight Freeney, DE
Richard Seymore, DE/DT
Brandon Lloyd, WR
Steve Breason, WR
Randy Moss, WR
Braylon Edwards, WR
Devery Henderson, WR
Joshua Cribbs, WR
Bryant McKinney, OT
Tyson Clabo, OT
Eric Winston, OT
Brandon Moore, OG
Dan Koppen, C
Charles Woodson, S
Daryl Smith, LB
Nick Barnett, LB
Karlos Dansby, LB
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaither is a FA too isn't he?
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:

John Abraham, DE
Dwight Freeney, DE
Richard Seymore, DE/DT
Brandon Lloyd, WR
Steve Breason, WR
Randy Moss, WR
Braylon Edwards, WR
Devery Henderson, WR
Joshua Cribbs, WR
Bryant McKinney, OT
Tyson Clabo, OT
Eric Winston, OT
Brandon Moore, OG
Dan Koppen, C
Charles Woodson, S
Daryl Smith, LB
Nick Barnett, LB
Karlos Dansby, LB

Don't want Moss or Edwards but wouldn't mind seeing anyone else on that list be added to the team even though the MLB's don't really fit. Can never have enough good defensive players though IMO so sign em up.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
Gaither is a FA too isn't he?
He is, but he wasn't a notable IMO.
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Nopussycat wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I would love to see this magical person/website that graded Dominic Raiola as better than Koppen at anything, ever. I'm sorry I just don't buy it.

No point in talking about if Clabo is a upgrade from Cherilus or not, Cherilus is not on the team, though just for the sake of what you said I would definitely say Clabo is the better overall player. Is Clabo a better RT than Fox/Hilliard? Because they actually are still on the team and are the two battling for RT. Very hard to believe he wouldn't be much, much better than either.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP CITY wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
Nopussycat wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:

I would love to see this magical person/website that graded Dominic Raiola as better than Koppen at anything, ever. I'm sorry I just don't buy it.

No point in talking about if Clabo is a upgrade from Cherilus or not, Cherilus is not on the team, though just for the sake of what you said I would definitely say Clabo is the better overall player. Is Clabo a better RT than Fox/Hilliard? because they actually still are on the team and are the two battling for RT. Very hard to believe he wouldn't be much, much better than either.
My point is that both are being highly overrated in this thread.

Koppen has never been more than a mediocre center, the grass always look greener on the other side but he is no better than Raiola, and that's fact.

Clabo is a reasonable depth option, and maybe even an option to start over Fox/Hilliard. But he's another "best looking ugly RT" that appears to be the flavor of the moment because no one wants to give Fox or Hilliard a chance.

Fox may have come into the league battling injuries, but he was healthy last season and was once a 2nd round graded talent. Neither he or Hilliard looked bad last spring/summer in TC and preseason. Are we gonna disregard them because they were forced to sit behind two mainstays? If that makes you feel better, go right ahead. Personally I'll wait patiently until I actually see the two battle it out and prove what they can do on the field.

People always talk about picking up this guy that guy in the later rounds as developmental players- well we've done exactly that with Hilliard and Fox, and now that it's time reap the benefits of grooming these guys for several years, everybody's having an anxiety attack.
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:

My point is that both are being highly overrated in this thread.

I don't agree but I guess it's possible, still, we're talking about replacing Dominic Raiola and two guys who have basically never played, not really difficult to believe that Koppen/Clabo would be upgrades considering they've had much more successful careers than anyone the Lions have had on the offensive line in the last 15 years except maybe Damien Woody (who certainly didn't play to that level on the Lions). Both were starters for Playoff teams last year and both have reputations around the League as being pretty good players. I have a hard time believing there is one single person involved in NFL management that would take Dominic Raiola as their starting Center over Dan Koppen or whichever guy wins the RT spot over Clabo.

Quote:
Koppen has never been more than a mediocre center, the grass always look greener on the other side but he is no better than Raiola, and that's fact.

Well, considering this is the Detroit Lions we are talking about, yes, the grass is greener the majority of the time. If Dominic Raiola was Drafted by any other team in the NFL he would have bounced around the League to 4-5 teams by now because it's simply not hard to find an upgrade over him and teams usually don't let someone play as poorly as he has his entire career start for 10+ years. Has Koppen been overrated his entire career? Maybe. But he always has been and still is better than Raiola so who cares if he's alittle overrated.

Quote:
Clabo is a reasonable depth option, and maybe even an option to start over Fox/Hilliard. But he's another "best looking ugly RT" that appears to be the flavor of the moment because no one wants to give Fox or Hilliard a chance.

Fox may have come into the league battling injuries, but he was healthy last season and was once a 2nd round graded talent. Neither he or Hilliard looked bad last spring/summer in TC and preseason. Are we gonna disregard them because they were forced to sit behind two mainstays? If that makes you feel better, go right ahead. Personally I'll wait patiently until I actually see the two battle it out and prove what they can do on the field.

People always talk about picking up this guy that guy in the later rounds as developmental players- well we've done exactly that with Hilliard and Fox, and now that it's time reap the benefits of grooming these guys for several years, everybody's having an anxiety attack.

Well, considering neither of them have been able to beat out anyone on the Lions pretty pathetic offensive line, I would say your patience is actually a lack of urgency to improve this Football team.

We are talking about replacing a well below average Center with a Center that has been snapping the ball on Playoff/Championship teams his entire career, has made the Pro Bowl and has a reputation around the NFL because he earned it. Again, we're talking about replacing Dominic Raiola, yes, the grass is absolutely greener on the other side. His knowledge, experience and locker room presence alone probably makes him an upgrade over Raiola, then he's also the better player.

Same goes with Clabo, made the Pro Bowl two years ago, has been starting on Playoff teams and has a reputation around the NFL as being a good player. And you think it's cool if we just run with guys that couldn't even beat out Godser Cherilus for a starting spot (granted Fox has been hurt alot of the time, but his durability is a knock on him, not a free pass)? I'm sorry, I just don't see the logic.

Both Koppen and Clabo would be clear upgrades and that's what the team should be looking to do, get better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:

John Abraham, DE
Dwight Freeney, DE
Richard Seymore, DE/DT

Brandon Lloyd, WR
Steve Breason, WR

Randy Moss, WR
Braylon Edwards, WR
Devery Henderson, WR

Joshua Cribbs, WR
Bryant McKinney, OT

Tyson Clabo, OT
Eric Winston, OT
Brandon Moore, OG
Dan Koppen, C
Charles Woodson, S
Daryl Smith, LB

Nick Barnett, LB
Karlos Dansby, LB
Bolded ones really interest me. Italicized kinda interest me

R.I.P. Stylish
cibowilson

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they said Reiff could play Center, I'm not sure if that was just hyperbole but if he really can I say we move him there. Trade a 2nd for Monroe. That would be an awesome line. Monroe/Sims/Rieff/Warford/Fox. That would be amazing! I'm not sure if Monroe is available or not but if he is I think we should make the trade, even if Reiff plays RT.
RIP CITY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Dwight Freeney, John Abraham, Richard Seymour and Charles Woodson aren't coming here, they will all sign with contenders at some point, none of them will be interested in coming to a team with a very slim chance of even making the Playoffs. Woodson might be the most likely actually, because it doesn't look like there is alot of interest in him (kind of baffling to me) and because he has Michigan ties, though I don't think that would actually come into play. Plus I doubt the Lions would even be interested with all the young guys they've added to the secondary, though I would absolutely love to see Woodson finish his career as a Lion and he'd be a huge upgrade at CB or S.

Randy Moss is pretty much done. Probably not even an upgrade over a healthy Burleson at this point and he's likely to just stop giving effort or just flat out retire mid-season once the team starts losing. Plus he's obviously not going to be here in 2015 so it's probably a waste of time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cibowilson wrote:
I believe they said Reiff could play Center, I'm not sure if that was just hyperbole but if he really can I say we move him there. Trade a 2nd for Monroe. That would be an awesome line. Monroe/Sims/Rieff/Warford/Fox. That would be amazing! I'm not sure if Monroe is available or not but if he is I think we should make the trade, even if Reiff plays RT.
Jacksonville isn't trading Eugene Monroe

R.I.P. Stylish
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP CITY wrote:
Unfortunately, Dwight Freeney, John Abraham, Richard Seymour and Charles Woodson aren't coming here, they will all sign with contenders at some point, none of them will be interested in coming to a team with a very slim chance of even making the Playoffs. Woodson might be the most likely actually, because it doesn't look like there is alot of interest in him (kind of baffling to me) and because he has Michigan ties, though I don't think that would actually come into play. Plus I doubt the Lions would even be interested with all the young guys they've added to the secondary, though I would absolutely love to see Woodson finish his career as a Lion and he'd be a huge upgrade at CB or S.

Randy Moss is pretty much done. Probably not even an upgrade over a healthy Burleson at this point and he's likely to just stop giving effort or just flat out retire mid-season once the team starts losing. Plus he's obviously not going to be here in 2015 so it's probably a waste of time.

Not true.
Quote:
According to a report by NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Freeney has identified the Lions as one of three teams that would be a fit for his services

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2013/03/dwight_freeney_interested_in_p.html

Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: