Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stadium Saga Part XIV: Design Star
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
i've never once been in the Dome. but i sure take stock in the views of those who have.

I've never spoken face to face with Minnesota residents about the Dome and new stadium, to the best of my knowledge, but I sure take stock in their views.

i have no idea what the point is you are attempting to make here. but i doubt i really need/want to either.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
marshpit23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, the current 'dome situation' has a lot to be desired; however, the new proposed , and improved stadium, is a beautifully, fan friendly stadium. Hopefully, we all get the opportunity to experience the new ambience of the new stadium,,,e.g. my sons and grandsons.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Purplexing wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
i've never once been in the Dome. but i sure take stock in the views of those who have.

I've never spoken face to face with Minnesota residents about the Dome and new stadium, to the best of my knowledge, but I sure take stock in their views.

i have no idea what the point is you are attempting to make here. but i doubt i really need/want to either.

I think he's saying the Dome is still a viable stadium yet he's never been there?

If that's the case, I hear the slums of East L.A. are a viable living option but I've never been there.

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

I bet that most of the Minnesota residents that opposed the new stadium never spent much time in there, or care about sports period. Therefore, I don't take much stock in their views, because their opinion is about as informed as mine are on farm subsidies for sugar beet production.

Having been rained on at the Dome in 1983 (mind you that was only the 2nd year it was open) in that game that was postponed against the California Angels, at the 1985 All-Star Game, been there for Timberwolves games, and been there for Vikings' games , I believe I have a unique perspective that not many other Minnesotans do have regarding the Metrodome.

If there ever was a stadium built on the cheap and looked like it, that was the Metrodome. The fact that it made it to 30 years is a miracle in itself, because it was obsolete the day it opened.

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Last edited by disaacs on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar beet production may very well be down this year due to overly strong spring rains, which aid in soil diseases that disturb beet growth.

Webmaster wrote:
tickleMEpurple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCF Bank Stadium is a failure in the states eyes...This is due to the fact that Students have the option of going to a game or going and screwing around downtown. Whereas, in a college town like Iowa City (Hawkeyes), or Ann Arbor (Wolverines), all there is to do is go to the college football game because the rest of the city, literally, shuts down for it. Furthermore, the reason students will 7 out of 10 times pick downtown, is because Gophers football is awful, especially compared to the rest of the Big 10 (sad, but true). Gopher football competing with a robust urban area that offers many different forms of entertainment.

So what is my point in saying all of this? TCF Bank Stadium was funded partially by taxpayer dollars. I DOUBT the state would approve a renovation to make it an NFL stadium when they can replace the existing Metrodome with something that can house baseball, soccer, basketball, concerts, and most of all, FOOTBALL.

TCF Bank Stadium also lacks the public transportation infrastructure that the Metrodome, Target Field, and the Target Center have. Sure, they can build it, but that's a lot of pulling teeth with the state on building the blue line to TCF Bank Stadium.

Sure, I would love to see the Vikings play outside for the next 30 years, but do you think all of the fans want that? Why go to a stadium where it is cold and snowy and it is $9 per beer when you can sit in your nice warm living room and watch the game on television?

Last edited by tickleMEpurple on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
tickleMEpurple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, i will admit that I was out of line for saying you're 'wrong' but I am still disagreeing with your opinion, Purplexing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tickleMEpurple wrote:
So what is my point in saying all of this? TCF Bank Stadium was funded mostly by taxpayer dollars.
Not entirely accurate, as it was mostly funded by private donations, student fees, and parking revenue. Less than half came from taxpayer dollars. And even then, to renovate it for full-time NFL use would probably cost nearly as much as the stadium did itself (which was about 1/3 of what the new Vikings' stadium is costing).

Thx to Uncle Buck!
tickleMEpurple

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i just looked that up and realized that i am wrong. edited.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, I played in the high school soccer tourny for a few seasons running. All of those games were held at the Dome. Granted, I was never a big soccer fan to begin with, but that was my worst experience playing that sport. It was like, in what I could best describe, sort of like playing basketball but without your hands. The ball didn't roll on the playing surface for much of the game, rather just bounced around and we were sort of left with essentially trying to juggle the thing down the field; for the most part. Not to mention the bowels of that place were disgusting; how they housed professional sports teams were beyond me. Especially when you seen the areas the teams had available to their players to "train." My high school sports teams were afforded better facilities.

As a fan, baseball was completely unwatchable. Instead of watching the game you just sort of viewed uninhabited areas of the field because that was your field of view. Any sort of fan experience in and around the venue? Forget it. Audio/acoustics were terrible. Same with the concourses and minimal "restrooms" (if we can call them that). Zero room to place any sort of team(s) historical tributes. No stores/bars/kid attractions.

I do find it very humorous that someone who quite literally has no experience with the entire building feels they have the experience/need/ability to chime in, though. As usual, thanks for the laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Purplexing wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

I think he's saying the Dome is still a viable stadium yet he's never been there?

If that's the case, I hear the slums of East L.A. are a viable living option but I've never been there.

Nope. Not even warm. Incorrect analogy.

No one has to have 'been there' to determine it IS a viable stadium. Otherwise, the fire marshal / city building inspector would shut it down.

People in East LA slums have to live there 24-7, until a better opportunity comes along. No one is forced to live 24-7 at the MetroDome. Those who CHOSE to attend football games do so for about 3-4 hours, up to 10 times a year.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tickleMEpurple wrote:
As an aside, i will admit that I was out of line for saying you're 'wrong' but I am still disagreeing with your opinion, Purplexing.

You are entitled to your opinion, as am I. Truly, you are. Wink
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
tickleMEpurple wrote:
So what is my point in saying all of this? TCF Bank Stadium was funded mostly by taxpayer dollars.
Not entirely accurate, as it was mostly funded by private donations, student fees, and parking revenue. Less than half came from taxpayer dollars. And even then, to renovate it for full-time NFL use would probably cost nearly as much as the stadium did itself (which was about 1/3 of what the new Vikings' stadium is costing).

No one has yet determined the origin of / reason for the elongated and exasperating discussion of the viability of the Gophield for NFL football.

But your post ^ has some elements of the reason.

Carry on!
Purplexing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tickleMEpurple wrote:
TCF Bank Stadium is a failure in the states eyes...This is due to the fact that Students have the option of going to a game or going and screwing around downtown. Whereas, in a college town like Iowa City (Hawkeyes), or Ann Arbor (Wolverines), all there is to do is go to the college football game because the rest of the city, literally, shuts down for it. Furthermore, the reason students will 7 out of 10 times pick downtown, is because Gophers football is awful, especially compared to the rest of the Big 10 (sad, but true). Gopher football competing with a robust urban area that offers many different forms of entertainment.

So what is my point in saying all of this? TCF Bank Stadium was funded partially by taxpayer dollars. I DOUBT the state would approve a renovation to make it an NFL stadium when they can replace the existing Metrodome with something that can house baseball, soccer, basketball, concerts, and most of all, FOOTBALL.

TCF Bank Stadium also lacks the public transportation infrastructure that the Metrodome, Target Field, and the Target Center have. Sure, they can build it, but that's a lot of pulling teeth with the state on building the blue line to TCF Bank Stadium.

Sure, I would love to see the Vikings play outside for the next 30 years, but do you think all of the fans want that? Why go to a stadium where it is cold and snowy and it is $9 per beer when you can sit in your nice warm living room and watch the game on television?

The Gophield is a failure because of the student's preference for other activities?? Confused Wouldn't cross selling tix to students and NFL fans increase attendance at Gophers games, Vikings games, with the latter helping to avoid NFL blackouts?

Here's how various sports might be hosted in the Twin Cities...

Football: in the Metrodome and Gophield now. Later: in the Gophield.
Concerts: in the Metrodome and a few other places now. Those few other places can still host concerts, and Gophield might be added to the list.
Baseball, Basketball: I vaguely recall new stadia somewhere in the TCs.
Soccer: I am not familiar with soccer field size requirements. I thought a scaled-down field is used inside baseball and football stadia.

Why does a stadium have to be built to please ALL of the current fans? Are ALL Bears and Packers fans pleased with their outdoor stadiums?
Jets fans? Giants fans? Bills fans? Bengals fans? Patriots fans? .....

Why go to a stadium which is cold and snowy and beer costs $9? Because it is cold and snowy! And your $9 beer(s) will stay cold!

None of the issues you mention are insurmountable.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you actually back to the line of why don't the Vikings play at the U of M stadium permanently again?

Laughing

Webmaster wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: