Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stadium Saga Part XIV: Design Star
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CriminalMind


Joined: 25 Aug 2011
Posts: 4996
Location: Toronto, CA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the stadium, but I think this should use black instead of grey for the nest part. Or a combination would be best so it feels more depth to it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tickleMEpurple


Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 288
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
4. The Valhalladium seems to be versatile. But the Metrodome is just as versatile; i.e. football, baseball, concerts, and a few other activities.


This is wrong. The metrodome can be used for these things, but it was designed to be a football stadium, not a baseball field. The new stadium is going to be a truly multi-purpose stadium.

Have you seen a final four in the metrodome? Have you been to a twins game in the metrodome? It's pretty awful.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 22961
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have been to the Metrodome when the Timberwolves played there in their first year...it was absolutely brutal. Laughing
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
tickleMEpurple


Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 288
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Here is what the metrodome looks like when it is set up for basketball. Just awful.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Purplexing


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 4443
Location: Outside Valhalla, looking in.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tickleMEpurple wrote:
Purplexing wrote:
4. The Valhalladium seems to be versatile. But the Metrodome is just as versatile; i.e. football, baseball, concerts, and a few other activities.


This is wrong. The metrodome can be used for these things, but it was designed to be a football stadium, not a baseball field. The new stadium is going to be a truly multi-purpose stadium.

Have you seen a final four in the metrodome? Have you been to a twins game in the metrodome? It's pretty awful.


Oh, I see.... the Metrodome was designed to be a football stadium, but the Twins agreed to play there for 20+ years before they realized it was 'pretty awful'.

Rolling Eyes

Final Four games total 3 per year. So that line of discussion is moot. Fans of the 4 teams aren't likely going to be concerned with the design of the stadium. They are going the F4 city to watch 1 or 2 games involving their favorite team. I believe they could easily tolerate sitting on an inverted aluminum pail for 2 hours once or twice over the course of 3 days if their alma mater were in the FF.

In summary, you believe I am 'wrong' because I said the Metrodome is a multi-purpose facility .... but it isn't because it was PRIMARILY designed for football, so it's not 'TRULY' multi-purpose. However, the new Valhalladium is designed to be a 'TRULY' multi-purpose facility. Rolling Eyes

I'm still perplexed. What is the distinction between a 'multi-purpose facility' and a 'TRULY multi-purpose facility'? Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tickleMEpurple


Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Posts: 288
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From wiki regarding the Metrodome and issues with the sight lines for the twins.

Quote:
Metrodome is not a true multipurpose stadium. Rather, it was built as a football stadium that can convert into a baseball stadium. The seating configuration is almost rectangular in shape—something that suits football very well. The seats along the four straight sides directly face their corresponding seats on the opposite side, while the seats in the corners are four quarter-circles.

In most cases, this resulted in poor sight lines for baseball. For instance, the seats directly along the left field line faced the center field and right field fences. Unlike other major league parks, there were no seats down to field level.[15] Even the closest front-row seats were at least 5 or 6 feet (1.8 m) above the field.

The way that many seats were situated forced some fans to crane their necks to see the area between the pitcher's mound and home plate. Some fans near the foul poles had to turn more than 80 degrees, compared to less than 70 with the previous Yankee Stadium or 75 degrees at Camden Yards. For that reason, the seats down the left field line were typically among the last ones sold; the (less expensive) outfield lower deck seating tended to fill up sooner. Nearly 1,400 seats had obscured or partial visibility to the playing field – some of them due to the right field upper deck being directly above (and somewhat overhanging) the folded-up football seats behind right field; and some of them due to steel beams in the back rows of the upper deck which are part of the dome's support system.



_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikes_Bolts1228


Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 3774
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tickleMEpurple wrote:
From wiki regarding the Metrodome and issues with the sight lines for the twins.


Don't bother arguing with him. No matter what facts/common sense you post, he'll still maintain that his ideas are far superior than anyone else's.

Better just to let him stew about the Vikings not playing permanently at TCF Bank Laughing

But I do agree with you. They can say the Dome was "baseball friendly" all they want but there's no reason why you should be staring into center field when you're sitting on the baselines.

Quote:
Oh, I see.... the Metrodome was designed to be a football stadium, but the Twins agreed to play there for 20+ years before they realized it was 'pretty awful'.


If you knew anything about the situation back then, you'd know that the Twins pretty much had no choice but to play at the Dome. They wanted their own facility after Met Stadium but didn't get it. Met Stadium was a dump and falling apart at that time so that wasn't a viable option, either.

The Twins lost A LOT of money playing at the Dome. Even if they sold suites for their games, the Vikings controlled them so they go very little money off suites. Heck by 1995 (a mere 13 years after the Dome opened), the Twins were looking to get out of the Dome but couldn't.

So contrary to Purps claims, the Twins KNEW it was pretty awful but had no other choice since they couldn't get a new stadium at the time. Everyone knows the Twins didn't want to be there. The Dome was 100% built with the Vikings in mind and the Twins an after-thought. So while "multi-purpose" it's more like the builders said:

Builder 1: Man this is a sweet building. The Vikings are going to love it!
Builder 2: Umm, aren't the Twins suppose to play here too?
Builder 1: $&%@#!! That's right! Umm...just make those seats over there retract and we'll call it good. Then we can call it multi-purpose!
_________________
"Man, Adrian Peterson doesn't get tackled. He just decides that's enough for one carry."

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74545
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
In summary, you believe I am 'wrong' because I said the Metrodome is a multi-purpose facility .... but it isn't because it was PRIMARILY designed for football, so it's not 'TRULY' multi-purpose. However, the new Valhalladium is designed to be a 'TRULY' multi-purpose facility. Rolling Eyes

looks like the all omniscient WikiPedia views you as wrong too:


tickleMEpurple wrote:
From wiki regarding the Metrodome and issues with the sight lines for the twins.

Quote:
Metrodome is not a true multipurpose stadium. Rather, it was built as a football stadium that can convert into a baseball stadium.


_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 7027
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purplexing wrote:
Oh, I see.... the Metrodome was designed to be a football stadium, but the Twins agreed to play there for 20+ years before they realized it was 'pretty awful'.


I see you forgot about the Twins almost being contracted in part due to the dump of a stadium the Metrodome was.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 22961
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is most ironic is that the Metrodome was built because Met Stadium was designed for baseball (and minor league baseball, at that). (As indicated previously) the Metrodome was, in fact, designed for football use, but could be converted for baseball use.

So, while it was multi-purpose, it wasn't really meant for baseball. This is also clearly evident by the fact that the Vikings got some revenue for Twins' games held there as well. Yes, the Twins played there for 20 years, but that was more out of necessity than desire, because Met Stadium wasn't adequate for major league baseball and there was absolutely no chance that another stadium would be built for the Twins when the Metrodome was built (it took over a decade to even get that.) Target Field is actually the first stadium built specifically for the Twins and major league baseball.
_________________


Thx to Uncle Buck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vikes_Bolts1228


Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 3774
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
What is most ironic is that the Metrodome was built because Met Stadium was designed for baseball (and minor league baseball, at that). (As indicated previously) the Metrodome was, in fact, designed for football use, but could be converted for baseball use.

So, while it was multi-purpose, it wasn't really meant for baseball. This is also clearly evident by the fact that the Vikings got some revenue for Twins' games held there as well. Yes, the Twins played there for 20 years, but that was more out of necessity than desire, because Met Stadium wasn't adequate for major league baseball and there was absolutely no chance that another stadium would be built for the Twins when the Metrodome was built (it took over a decade to even get that.) Target Field is actually the first stadium built specifically for the Twins and major league baseball.


I just find it funny that people STILL try and defend the Metrodome. It's literally been a piece of junk since day one 34 years ago. It served it's purpose. It's time to blow it up. I would bet my life savings that those who try and defend the Dome have probably have spent very little time in there.
_________________
"Man, Adrian Peterson doesn't get tackled. He just decides that's enough for one carry."

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 74545
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never once been in the Dome. but i sure take stock in the views of those who have.
_________________


Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vikes_Bolts1228


Joined: 30 Jan 2007
Posts: 3774
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i've never once been in the Dome. but i sure take stock in the views of those who have.


Imagine the smell of stale beer, sitting with your knees in your chest if you're over 5'8" and having a numbing sensation on your rear after 15 minutes. And that's just the seating.

For the concourse? You need Adrian Peterson like hole vision to make it through that thing during pre/post/halftime/end of quarter.

And need I get into the bathrooms? AGAIN?!
_________________
"Man, Adrian Peterson doesn't get tackled. He just decides that's enough for one carry."

Proud Minnesota Vikings season ticket holder!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Purplexing


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 4443
Location: Outside Valhalla, looking in.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikes_Bolts1228 wrote:
tickleMEpurple wrote:
From wiki regarding the Metrodome and issues with the sight lines for the twins.


Don't bother arguing with him. No matter what facts/common sense you post, he'll still maintain that his ideas are far superior than anyone else's.

Better just to let him stew about the Vikings not playing permanently at TCF Bank Laughing

But I do agree with you. They can say the Dome was "baseball friendly" all they want but there's no reason why you should be staring into center field when you're sitting on the baselines.

Quote:
Oh, I see.... the Metrodome was designed to be a football stadium, but the Twins agreed to play there for 20+ years before they realized it was 'pretty awful'.


If you knew anything about the situation back then, you'd know that the Twins pretty much had no choice but to play at the Dome. They wanted their own facility after Met Stadium but didn't get it. Met Stadium was a dump and falling apart at that time so that wasn't a viable option, either.

The Twins lost A LOT of money playing at the Dome. Even if they sold suites for their games, the Vikings controlled them so they go very little money off suites. Heck by 1995 (a mere 13 years after the Dome opened), the Twins were looking to get out of the Dome but couldn't.

So contrary to Purps claims, the Twins KNEW it was pretty awful but had no other choice since they couldn't get a new stadium at the time. Everyone knows the Twins didn't want to be there. The Dome was 100% built with the Vikings in mind and the Twins an after-thought. So while "multi-purpose" it's more like the builders said:

Builder 1: Man this is a sweet building. The Vikings are going to love it!
Builder 2: Umm, aren't the Twins suppose to play here too?
Builder 1: $&%@#!! That's right! Umm...just make those seats over there retract and we'll call it good. Then we can call it multi-purpose!


^ Nothing but conjecture.

Points on bold sections:

Facts are not opinions. I didn't confuse the meaning of 'multi-purpose', but was accused of being 'wrong', and the justification was a new term "truly multi-purpose". Rolling Eyes Straw Man Argument.

TCF proves my point about the 'need' for a new stadium. Go back to the point in these threads where that line of discussion began to see the ACTUAL point I was making, and do not attribute things to me which I did not say or imply.

Apparently, the Twins did not want to go back to the name 'Senators', or perhaps 'Nationals', as evidenced by their agreeing to play in the 'awful dome' for several decades. Oh, the humanity!
What a masochist that owner Pohlad (or Griffin? Griffith?) was back then!

Pssst; read the last line of your sig. You might want to shut off the sig line while you continue this line of debate. Just a friendly suggestion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Purplexing


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 4443
Location: Outside Valhalla, looking in.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i've never once been in the Dome. but i sure take stock in the views of those who have.


I've never spoken face to face with Minnesota residents about the Dome and new stadium, to the best of my knowledge, but I sure take stock in their views.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 17 of 24

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group