Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My draft grades (plus a bit more)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JagsFanInNY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: My draft grades (plus a bit more) Reply with quote

Draft is over and given my situation (mainly looking for a job and needing to work on some job related skills) I am unsure how active I will be here until next draft season. Having said that, just wanted to throw out my thought on the draft and a very brief look at undrafted free agency.
--------
In general, I tend not to come to a firm decision regarding my take on draft picks until I have some time to really think them through. Often times, with the earlier draft picks, I end up changing my initial opinion regarding the pick. So, now that the draft is complete and I let these picks “simmer” in my mind a bit, here are my thoughts and (as stupid as they may be so early on) my grades for the picks.

1.2) LUKE JOECKEL OT TEXAS A&M
Initially, when word got out that OT very well could be the pick, I did not believe or want to believe that would be the case. After all, you don’t draft a right tackle at #2, right? Well, the pick went down, and I was kind of let down, and cannot say I am totally thrilled by the pick. I really would have much preferred a move down or a DE like Dion Jordan. HOWEVER, when I saw the OAK/MIA trade, I realized that the move down scenario would not have netted anything resembling fair value for the Jaguars. Having eliminated trade from the realm of what I would have wanted, I realized that the Jaguars just did something that my brother and brother-in-law’s team (49ers) did and built an offensive line with two first round bookend tackles. While I would not suggest this Jaguars team is about to become the AFC’s 49ers, I really have come to appreciate what a fantastic offensive line can do for a team.
Seeing as I still think RT at #2 is pretty stupid, I cannot say I love the pick at the end of the day, although I am not devastated. What “needs based Caldwell” did was follow the other philosophy and grab the best player available. In the process he did upgrade the OL in a MAJOR fashion, and hopefully got this team one big step closer to figuring out what kind of future Gabbert has with this team.
GRADE: B

2.1) JOHNATHAN CYPRIEN SS FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL
I am assuming the trade value was just not there. I really like Cyprien and think he is somewhat in the mold of a Kam Chancellor. I think he will certainly be an upgrade to what Dawan Landry would have given this team in the new defense.
GRADE: A-

3.2) DWAYNE GRATZ CB CONNECTICUT
I know Gratz was a CB rising up boards recently, but I still think his teammate, Blidi Wreh-Wilson seems to fit better what Bradley wants out of his cornerbacks. I really am not thrilled at this point in time, and hope Gratz proves me wrong and fits nicely in this defense.
GRADE: C+

4.4) ACE SANDERS WR SOUTH CAROLINA
I am not going to beat around the bush on this one. I really do not love this pick. I think this is too high for Sanders, and while I understand he is a very dynamic player who should hopefully make this offense better, I think that a later pick could have been used and a better player could have been had here.
GRADE: C-

5.2) DENARD ROBINSON WR(?) MICHIGAN
Remember how I was talking above about a later pick to get that dynamic offensive player? Well, it seems Dave and Gus knew what I was thinking and decided to grab a dynamic offensive player later in the draft as well. I think that Denard is kind of raw and might not be a contributing WR so quickly, but as a tailback or return man, I am very intrigued to see what he brings right away.
GRADE: B+
6.1) JOSH EVANS FS FLORIDA
This team has little at S, even with the Cyprien pick. Evans is not as glamorous a pick as Cyprien, but he is also a solid player and in his own right should probably be able to beat out Prosinski to be the #3 safety on this roster.
GRADE: A

7.2 &7.4) JEREMY HARRIS CB NEW MEXICO STATE & DEMETRIUS MCCRAY CB APPALACHIAN STATE
These are the kinds of guys I look forward to see as contributors for this team. Obviously as 7th rounders, it is a long shot that they will be very good, but Gus likes his big lanky CBs, and both these guys definitely qualify as that. As it is, Harris will be coached by his college head coach, and McCray is just all around an intriguing player.
Everything considered, I just really like the potential of these two guys.
GRADE: A++

OVERALL DRAFT GRADE: B+
--------
Also, my brief take on UDFA is as such: It is a great year to have so many roster spots to fill. I think the crop of UDFAs is particularly appealing this year. Here are the guys I REALLY like that are available:
QB: Matt Scott
RB: Zach Line, Lonnie Pryor, Miguel Maysonet
WR: Da’Rick Rogers, T.J. Moe, Connor Vernon
TE: Ryan Otten
OL: Alvin Bailey, Braxston Cave
LB: Chase Thomas, Keith Pough, Kevin Reddick, Michael Clay
CB: Sheldon Price

Last edited by JagsFanInNY on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Luke is 6th on your list of best picks Confused

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?
DuvalsKing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if Gus believed Gratz team mate fit his scheme better than Gratz he would have took him seeing he was still on the board when the selection was made. Gratz tore it up at the senior bowl and the combine and from what many say that watch UCONN games on the regular Gratz wasn't that far off from his team mate if any at all.
DjBuddaH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuvalsKing wrote:
I think if Gus believed Gratz team mate fit his scheme better than Gratz he would have took him seeing he was still on the board when the selection was made. Gratz tore it up at the senior bowl and the combine and from what many say that watch UCONN games on the regular Gratz wasn't that far off from his team mate if any at all.

From what I've read and heard from Caldwell he puts a lot of stock in measurables and combine times. He took into account Bradley's schemes and drafted accordingly. I think that's why we chose Gratz over his teammate.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7978242#7978242
Esteban wrote:
If people would listen to my advice I would give it but until then I wont
Tugboat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuvalsKing wrote:

I think more than any of the senior bowl and combine stuff...what it comes down to, is if we're legitimately trying to 'reconstruct' that same sort of defense as the Seahawks...Gratz does make more sense than Wreh-Wilson (who i thought was the better option in a general sense and in a 'lockdown' role).

But it's highly contingent on what we did at Safety. That Seattle defense relies heavily on two great safeties who fit exactly what Gus needed to put together a beastly unit. Jury is obviously still out on whether or not our new safeties pan out as hoped...but if they do, we're well on our way to the Seattle model of CBs who are asked to do a specific set of things very well, and the Safeties make the system go. ie. If Cyprien and Lowery/Evans can provide Seattle level safety play...we don't have as dire a need at CB as we might think. And Gratz is a million times a better pick as a 'system fit' than Wreh-Wilson who is maybe the better player overall. It's what the Steelers have done for years though...finding guys who other teams value less than them, who just fit 'their scheme' like a glove.

But our CB position is still pretty bleak at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gave Ace Sanders pick a C-... Are you kidding. He's gonna be explosive in KR and esp. at PR. That would give the QB a shorter field. We can never have enough weapon. With the drafting of Ace I think he fields on of those weapons. The guy was flat out dominate in the SEC.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg007 wrote:
You gave Ace Sanders pick a C-... Are you kidding. He's gonna be explosive in KR and esp. at PR. That would give the QB a shorter field. We can never have enough weapon. With the drafting of Ace I think he fields on of those weapons. The guy was flat out dominate in the SEC.

he was only successful one year right? But i am very excited about him

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: