Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade the 2013 Miami Dolphins Draft....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What grade you giving this draft..
A
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
B
65%
 65%  [ 28 ]
C
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
D
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
F
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 43

Dolphin Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only move/pick that made that I was unhappy with was trading up for Will Davis. With the way we drafted day 3, I would have preferred to have had that 4th & 5th back. We drafted very well in those rounds and those two picks would have helped. Davis is the only player that I don't like that we took.

For those that think we didn't do enough to protect Tannehill, I disagree. We added a good Guard prospect to compete with Jerry & Cogs. We added the a top blocking TE who at 6'5 265 lbs will figure prominently in protection. We will also bring in a Vet RT like Winston. We are not in as bad of shape on OL as some believe.

frankmoore wrote:
The hero doesn't always ride off into the sunset with the girl, sometimes he ends up on the wrong end of the lightsaber.
Jaytotha

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
The Dallas Thomas pick was a terrible pick IMO.

The trade down and then back up, and then the pick of Davis was just head scratching to me.

I liked every other pick.......but for those reasons I give it a C.

Davis is a ball hawk that we need.

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
WaterBear56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
green4gulf wrote:

The trade down and then back up, and then the pick of Davis was just head scratching to me.

I like him but I didn't like the trade up. We should have stuck our ground.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterBear56 wrote:
Jaytotha wrote:
green4gulf wrote:

I like him but I didn't like the trade up. We should have stuck our ground.

there was a run on corners when we traded up

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytotha wrote:
green4gulf wrote:

I'm extremely skeptical that he will be a ball hawk any time soon in the NFL.

If he works out for us then I see him as a Nickle package cover man, and IMO that's his ceiling.....but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I just feel like we could have gotten a true starter at another position in that spot of the draft.

Last edited by green4gulf on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:

Dallas Thomas might be my favorite pick in the draft after really watching him play.

The offense has been handcuffed with bad OG play, now you can slide Incognito to RG and put Thomas at LG and have a pretty solid tandem. Watch Thomas pull, he is quick and gets to the spot on time. The Dolphins haven't been able to open up the running game due to lack of pulling ability outside of Pouncey.

I don't disagree with your evaluation of our team weakness. I just didn't think it was good value with where we selected Thomas. In fact I thought it was terrible from a value standpoint given what was available.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:

Dallas Thomas might be my favorite pick in the draft after really watching him play.

The offense has been handcuffed with bad OG play, now you can slide Incognito to RG and put Thomas at LG and have a pretty solid tandem. Watch Thomas pull, he is quick and gets to the spot on time. The Dolphins haven't been able to open up the running game due to lack of pulling ability outside of Pouncey.

I don't disagree with your evaluation of our team weakness. I just didn't think it was good value with where we selected Thomas. In fact I thought it was terrible from a value standpoint given what was available.

As far as OG go, there was no other OG on the board that fit the scheme. I personally would've picked Markus Wheaton, Damontre Moore or Brennan Williams, but if OG was considered a bigger need, Thomas was the best available.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
cddolphin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dion Jordan DE Oregon:
Great talent, arguably the best defensive player in the draft, only questions are where will he play and will his skill set translate in the 4-3 defense. Moderate risk / high reward IMO. His grade gets bumped up a bit because NOBODY else I liked was there at #12.
B+

Jamar Taylor CB Boise St.:
Probably the only other draftee who has a good chance to start immediately. Good value on where he was taken, fills a need.
A-

Dallas Thomas OT/OG Tennessee:
Finally the offensive line is addressed. May or may not start depending on Martin and if he is better than Louis and Jerry. Most interesting camp battles will be OL.
A

Will Davis CB Utah St.:
I know very little about him besides that he is highly athletic. Will he be worth a 3rd / 4th / and 5th round pick? Grimes / Taylor / Marshall / Patterson / Carroll are his competition. His ceiling this season may be dime corner. Much rather would've seen another OL.
D

Jelani Jenkins OLB Florida:
ST player and versatile backup in an area that needed depth. Can cover and blitz and played in the SEC. Doubt he pushes Misi for the last starting LBer job and will probably be a backup for at least a couple seasons.
B

Dion Sims TE Michigan St.:
All the TEs we have are pass catchers. None of them can block. Sims can.
A

Mike Gillislee RB Florida:
One of my favorite picks. Should be the #2 back behind Miller. All around RB. Exactly where RBs should be drafted.
A

Caleb Sturgis K Florida:
This dude has stones. Makes the big time kicks. Only knock here is using a 5th but I think he'll earn that draft position.
A

Don Jones SS Arkansas St.:
So we drafted a SS to play nickle corner? What is Davis going to be playing? Carroll? Patterson? Would've much rather seen a developmental WR or OT
F

Overall? I'd say a tentative B.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering who stop by to vote F....I think this guy is one...

Quote:
Miami Dolphins

3. Dion Jordan, defensive end, Oregon.
54. Jamar Taylor, cornerback, Boise State.
77. Dallas Thomas, guard/tackle, Tennessee.
93. Will Davis, cornerback, Utah State.
104. Jelani Jenkins, inside linebacker, Florida.
106. Dion Sims, tight end, Michigan State.
164. Mike Gillislee, running back, Florida.
166. Caleb Sturgis, kicker, Florida.
250. Don Jones, safety, Arkansas State.

Overview: GM Jeff Ireland was pick-rich after unloading Brandon Marshall and Vontae Davis -- two premier NFL starters -- for pennies on the dollar. Those bad trades are factored into Miami's grade. After more trades, the Fins wound up turning the two Marshall third-rounders into Michael Egnew, B.J. Cunningham, blocking tight end Sims, and part of the deal that brought underwhelming corner prospect Davis. For Vontae, they got Taylor straight up. Jordan has a chance to be the best player in this draft class. I like Taylor. Gillislee could be a year-one upgrade on Daniel Thomas if he demonstrates consistency in pass protection. Jones has starter measurables and offered value at the tail end of day three. But Ireland can't be let off the hook for his past talent-shaving trades just because he snuck them into last offseason. The Fins are still paying the piper, and after nauseatingly producing four consecutive losing seasons Ireland has cost himself all possible benefit of the doubt.

Grade: D+

We've discussed Silva before, but the guy must really hate Ireland...Vontae David premier NFL player...bwahahahahahahaha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Dion Jordan DE Oregon A+ I really didnt look much into this player prior to the draft, but when I found out what he was, I think it was great we moved up.

2 Jamar Taylor CB Boise St. A- We need help and Taylor should be an almost instent starter.

3 Dallas Thomas OT/OG Tennessee B+ Great help on the Oline can play a couple spots which is great.

3 Will Davis CB Utah St. C- Depth and help in the nickle

4 Jelani Jenkins OLB Florida B Might need a season but could be a play maker with some coaching.

4 Dion Sims TE Michigan St. B Blocking TE who can catch, my favorite type.

5 Mike Gillislee RB Florida B- Will run behind Miller, Thomas is on his way out.

5 Caleb Sturgis K Florida B Though drafted early but with Punters coming off in the 4th round, and no pick in 6th round, Carpenters replacement is welcome addition.

7 Don Jones SS Arkansas S N/A I know nothing of this man.

Overall B given, we got some positions of need and I am happy, not over come with joy. I think our roster this year will be the best it has been in years.

Adopt a Phins 2014, 1st Pick Ryan Tannehill
Tannehill (2014 Season stats)
60.5-Comp/ 419 Yards/ 3-TD's/ 2-INT/ 76.1-Rating
bpastermack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:

As far as OG go, there was no other OG on the board that fit the scheme. I personally would've picked Markus Wheaton, Damontre Moore or Brennan Williams, but if OG was considered a bigger need, Thomas was the best available.

Schwenke is who I would have selected in that spot personally. Perfect fit for our scheme. I watched like 3 games of Thomas and came away unimpressed. He doesn't get much movement int he run game, and his feet are slow in the passing game. He is above average when he is pulling and in space, but that's about it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
1.) Dion Jordan - DE Oregon B- - Sure the potential is there and thats what I dislike - potential. I don't think he showed enough production in college to warrant the number three pick in the draft. I do like his physical make up and the ability to rush the passer. As far as coverage for the number of times he dropped back it was like a waste in terms of impact.

2.) Jamar Taylor - CB Boise State A- Excellent pick. In every mock I did there was no way I had him going to us in round two the latest I projected was at 36. He has every tool you look for in a cornerback. He will probably start from day one.

3.) Dallas Thomas - OT Tennessee B I do like him as Tackle. I think the move over to guard didn't help his development. My best case scenario is still signing Eric Winston and moving Dallas into the starting spot eventually. I wasn't a fan of this pick, but its almost as if the NFL has a rule that Miami must have a player with the last name Thomas or face a hefty fine.

4.) Will Davis - CB Utah State C Not so much the player that gets the low score, its what we gave up to go back into round 3 to get him. On my board he was ranked at 141. I went to sleep before this pick thinking we were going to clean up on day three, clearly that didn't happen. I do like him and in a few scenarios had us taking him as the second CB selected.

5.) Jelani Jenkins - OLB Florida C The trend continues. The theme for 2013 could be "Draft Players With Injuries. Two years ago I would have guessed this kid to be a first round pick. However the production and injuries only clouded what to expect. He will definitely be a high risk/high reward.

6.) Dion Sims - TE Michigan State C- Bill Parcells loves this pick. He Has the classic TE build. As such he will put up classic TE numbers. Unfortunately its 2013 and the league is a passing game where your TE's are seam threats. We added a blocker for those third and short situations.

7.) Mike Gillislee - RB Florida C - The only thing saving him from a D grade is I have him being our KR/PR. I have watched too many Florida games not to come away unimpressed.

8.) Caleb Sturgis - K Florida B - Would have graded him an A if taken later, but when your drafting a kicker in round 5 that speaks volumes.

9.) Don Jones - SS Arkansas State - B+ One of my sleepers, his all around ability will give the defense options to use him anywhere in the secondary.

Overall my grade would be C+, I felt we relied too much on potential, took risks too early. We had many options and then failed to utilize them. This should have been the year Jeff Ireland stepped up in the draft to the level of the Ravens and 49ers. Its almost as if he wants to take that big step but then hesitates, turns around and heads back to familiar grounds. I just have that feeling when we look back on the this draft we going to say " I coulda had sprinkles on my ice cream cone". My favorite move is actually UDFA Jasper Collins

My grades would be almost identical, except for Thomas and Sims. I would rank Thomas a C (no ZBS experience, slow feet, needs lower body strength) and Sims would be a B (good blocking TE, which complements Keller well and hopefully Egnew steps in for Keller next year).

My favorite pick was Jamar Taylor. Just a terrific mix of bpa value (at least according to me), need, and fit for the scheme. I expect some really good things from Taylor.

The most upsetting pick for me was Jelani Jenkins. Injury prone and at a position we had zero need at. My favorite RB in the draft, Jonathan Franklin, was still there in the 4th round and would have been a much better pick, IMO.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
Maddogg wrote:
1.) Dion Jordan - DE Oregon B- - Sure the potential is there and thats what I dislike - potential. I don't think he showed enough production in college to warrant the number three pick in the draft. I do like his physical make up and the ability to rush the passer. As far as coverage for the number of times he dropped back it was like a waste in terms of impact.

2.) Jamar Taylor - CB Boise State A- Excellent pick. In every mock I did there was no way I had him going to us in round two the latest I projected was at 36. He has every tool you look for in a cornerback. He will probably start from day one.

3.) Dallas Thomas - OT Tennessee B I do like him as Tackle. I think the move over to guard didn't help his development. My best case scenario is still signing Eric Winston and moving Dallas into the starting spot eventually. I wasn't a fan of this pick, but its almost as if the NFL has a rule that Miami must have a player with the last name Thomas or face a hefty fine.

4.) Will Davis - CB Utah State C Not so much the player that gets the low score, its what we gave up to go back into round 3 to get him. On my board he was ranked at 141. I went to sleep before this pick thinking we were going to clean up on day three, clearly that didn't happen. I do like him and in a few scenarios had us taking him as the second CB selected.

5.) Jelani Jenkins - OLB Florida C The trend continues. The theme for 2013 could be "Draft Players With Injuries. Two years ago I would have guessed this kid to be a first round pick. However the production and injuries only clouded what to expect. He will definitely be a high risk/high reward.

6.) Dion Sims - TE Michigan State C- Bill Parcells loves this pick. He Has the classic TE build. As such he will put up classic TE numbers. Unfortunately its 2013 and the league is a passing game where your TE's are seam threats. We added a blocker for those third and short situations.

7.) Mike Gillislee - RB Florida C - The only thing saving him from a D grade is I have him being our KR/PR. I have watched too many Florida games not to come away unimpressed.

8.) Caleb Sturgis - K Florida B - Would have graded him an A if taken later, but when your drafting a kicker in round 5 that speaks volumes.

9.) Don Jones - SS Arkansas State - B+ One of my sleepers, his all around ability will give the defense options to use him anywhere in the secondary.

Overall my grade would be C+, I felt we relied too much on potential, took risks too early. We had many options and then failed to utilize them. This should have been the year Jeff Ireland stepped up in the draft to the level of the Ravens and 49ers. Its almost as if he wants to take that big step but then hesitates, turns around and heads back to familiar grounds. I just have that feeling when we look back on the this draft we going to say " I coulda had sprinkles on my ice cream cone". My favorite move is actually UDFA Jasper Collins

My grades would be almost identical, except for Thomas and Sims. I would rank Thomas a C (no ZBS experience, slow feet, needs lower body strength) and Sims would be a B (good blocking TE, which complements Keller well and hopefully Egnew steps in for Keller next year).

My favorite pick was Jamar Taylor. Just a terrific mix of bpa value (at least according to me), need, and fit for the scheme. I expect some really good things from Taylor.

The most upsetting pick for me was Jelani Jenkins. Injury prone and at a position we had zero need at. My favorite RB in the draft, Jonathan Franklin, was still there in the 4th round and would have been a much better pick, IMO.

I'm pretty sure Tennessee ran a ZBS...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

I'm pretty sure Tennessee ran a ZBS...

You sir, are correct. They actually ran several schemes. No idea why I missed that. That shoots him up to a B-, as that was a big reason I was lukewarm, at best, on the pick. Still don't like the lack of strength, but it gets the pick back to respectability in my eyes.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
vikes635

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted B but id probably give it a b+ and an A-

Rip Sean Taylor

PROPS TO Joe_is_the_best for the Sig

Adopt A Viking= Kyle Rudolph Rec=5 Targets=10 Drops= Penalties= tot yds=69 TD=1 Lng=21

Pre Season= 4 catches 1 drop 44 yards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: