Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade the 2013 Miami Dolphins Draft....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What grade you giving this draft..
A
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
B
65%
 65%  [ 28 ]
C
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
D
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
F
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 43

Jordan198011

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Grade the 2013 Miami Dolphins Draft.... Reply with quote

What grade would you give this draft overall..

Bast on who they took.. Who was available..

1 Dion Jordan DE Oregon
2 Jamar Taylor CB Boise St.
3 Dallas Thomas OT/OG Tennessee
3 Will Davis CB Utah St.
4 Jelani Jenkins OLB Florida
4 Dion Sims TE Michigan St.
5 Mike Gillislee RB Florida
5 Caleb Sturgis K Florida
7 Don Jones SS Arkansas St.
NHL: Los Angeles Kings
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA: USC
Blagasse67

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Grade the 2013 Miami Dolphins Draft.... Reply with quote

Jordan198011 wrote:
What grade would you give this draft overall..

Bast on who they took.. Who was available..

1 Dion Jordan DE Oregon
2 Jamar Taylor CB Boise St.
3 Dallas Thomas OT/OG Tennessee
3 Will Davis CB Utah St.
4 Jelani Jenkins OLB Florida
4 Dion Sims TE Michigan St.
5 Mike Gillislee RB Florida
5 Caleb Sturgis K Florida
7 Don Jones SS Arkansas St.

I'm going to say B right now. I think the first 4 picks are guys they want to come in and play right away. I think they got good value in those picks. In our trade up for Dion Jordan, we virtually gave up nothing to get him. We only gave up a 2nd, but still had another one.

Dion Sims and Gillislee seem like they can be steals. 4th and 5th round guys that don't have to play right away, but offer something different than what we have at those positions now. For Example,

Dion Sims is a big TE that can do it all and may be the best blocking TE we have. Keller and Egnew are receiving TEs that aren't so much in line blockers.

Mike Gillislee maybe the same size as Miller, but has a different playing style. Gives us a nice one two punch.

Neither Gillislee or Sims will have to play right away.

UniversalAuthor
RealMetalFan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a B.

Dion Jordan has a very high ceiling, and has me hoping and praying that we see some 5-2 looks this year haha could you imagine a line of Wake-Starks-Soliai-Odrick-Jordan? Not too farfetched if they put Jordan at OLB and have him blitz opposite Wake.

Jamar Taylor was a guy I was high on before the draft, and I'm glad we picked him up. Should be a contributor from day 1 and will probably snag a starting stop before too long.

Dallas Thomas was a guy I was thinking we could take so I was happy to see that we did. He has a lot of positional flexibility, which is good because we have needs all around Pouncey.

Had no clue who Will Davis is, so can't really speculate, but it's good that we doubled up on corners. I remember how frustrated I was last year seeing Carroll starting so much when Marshall went down

Jelani Jenkins is a guy I had seen getting drafted higher, so I was surprised that he was there in the 4th round for us to get him. Will be nice depth for sure.

I like what I've heard about Dion Sims. Losing Fasano gave us absolutely nobody at TE who could block decently, and this guy can as well as catch the ball.

Mike Gillislee is a guy I heard a lot about before the draft, but I didn't think we would draft a RB. As long as he comes in and helps our FO say buh-bye to Daniel Thomas, I like this pick.

Maybe my favorite pick is Caleb Sturgis. We got the best kicker in the draft when we knew he would not be available with our next pick. More accurate than Hopkins, and kicked for a better percentage of touchbacks as well. Buh-bye Carp.

No idea about Don Jones.

That right there is Catrinel Menghia, hottest woman who ever lived, soon to be Catrinel Alexander if she isn't careful.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say a B.

Dion Jordan has phenomenal potential, and we gave up so little to trade up.

Our CBs look really solid, and much more athletic than our previous duo.

If Dallas Thomas can help at guard or tackle, I'll be happy with the pick.

Dion Sims and the UF RB are solid if unspectacular additions to the offense. I really didn't want Lamar Miller to shoulder the RB duties alone, and now he won't have to. With Sims, if Egnew can't figure out how to block we'll move on and won't look back.

This draft comes down to playmakers on defense. If we found a couple, we did really well.
Mercury22

Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no complaints about what the Dolphins did. I have some complaints about what they didn't do, but the guys selected seem like interesting prospects.

Our defense is going to be young and fast, that's for sure. We have plenty of options/depth which is nice, it will be interesting to see if such a young group can limit mistakes, and find leadership.

My questions are largely relegated to the offense. Primarily I am worried about the protection the offensive line can provide Tannehill and the holes we can open for Miller. Personally, I was hopeful we could add even more fire power/weapons on offense in the draft. I like Sims and Gillislee, but I don't expect a huge contribution from either, maybe a minimal amount from Gilislee. Mostly, I am concerned about Tannehill's protection though and wish we had addressed that more in the draft.
Deadeye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
I have no complaints about what the Dolphins did. I have some complaints about what they didn't do, but the guys selected seem like interesting prospects.

Our defense is going to be young and fast, that's for sure. We have plenty of options/depth which is nice, it will be interesting to see if such a young group can limit mistakes, and find leadership.

My questions are largely relegated to the offense. Primarily I am worried about the protection the offensive line can provide Tannehill and the holes we can open for Miller. Personally, I was hopeful we could add even more fire power/weapons on offense in the draft. I like Sims and Gillislee, but I don't expect a huge contribution from either, maybe a minimal amount from Gilislee. Mostly, I am concerned about Tannehill's protection though and wish we had addressed that more in the draft.
It may not be too late to trade for Fat Albert. Ireland should hit up KC and find out if they'll budge on their asking price.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dion Jordan - I didn't even consider this kid as an option, but the more time I spent watching videos of him and reading about him....he can be special....I mean Von Miller/Aldon Smith special. His metrics are off the charts...his wing span would make a pterodactyl jealous. 6'7" 250 and a 4.6 40. A spin move faster then Freeny and the ability to cover in space. A+ on this pick.

Jamar Taylor - Such a smooth cover guy with great hips and very good speed. I see him winning the starting CB job in camp and staying there for 10 years. As much as I like Jordan this is the best value pick...was rated by many to be 4th best corner in the draft and I felt he was a much better fit the Rhodes. A+

Dallas Thomas - A ver solid lineman that has potential to contribute and could batter for the LT position, but will ultimately end up playing guard. Decent feet, but does have athleticism and experience in the ZBS. B

Will Davis - This is a classic Ireland panic move....moved down, saw a run on CBs and traded back up to land him. Has solid game film, but struggled at the senior bowl. I do think he could turn into a good nickle corner and Coyle is pretty good at getting the most out of his CB....I juts get the feeling he would be there without trading up. C

Jelani Jenkins - I like this pick as I felt the team was very thin at LB. Played well in the NCAA toughest conference and is an excellent cover LB. Could work into the rotation and see some playing time on third downs. B

Dion Sims - Very good pick and great value. The best blocking TE that can also catch, has basketball post-up skills in the end zone, and decent speed in the seam. He may not be Tyler Eifert or Zach Ertz, but he is solid and should contribute week one. B+

Mike Gillislee - Best pick of day 3 for the Phins...Lamar Miller is going to be the starter, but I can easily see him contribute about 10 carries a game. He has very good hands out of the back field and his skill set fits the ZBS. A

Caleb Sturgis - Carpenter lost 2 games last year for the Phins and he is due a hefty pay day (for kickers). Not a lot of value in thsi round, but a pick that needed to be made. Should free up some moent to address the Tackle position. B

Don Jones - Don't know anything about him....NG

Overall I give it a B-....it would be higher, but I don't feel they did enough to address the offensive line. If they use the money they save on Carpenter and Bess to sign Winston and McKinnie then I will upgrade it to A

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill let you know in 2 or 3 years. potentially this can be an A+ draft it could also bust and be a F hard to grade few hours out

Adopt a Dolphin: RB Knowshon Moreno

Rushing: 24- 134yds 5.6 Avg 1TD
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I am very happy with our draft part of me really wishes we didn't trade out of 84 and were able to come up with stedman bailey or one of those Wr regardless of if they would have made a impact this year or not. Wasn't a fan of the Davis pick but that doesn't mean it was a bad pick. Overall good job Ireland great off season and real good draft .
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wasn't a single pick that made me scratch my head, and that is a first in the Jeff Ireland era. I don't want to grade it yet, because I want to watch some film on a few guys. But I like the picks.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes
bpastermack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Dion Jordan DE Oregon - B+ - I like this move. The only reason I don't love it is that there is some bust potential there. He still has some work to do in order to be the pass rusher he could be but if he does that, I think Miami got a perrenial pro bowler, especially if they use him right.

2 Jamar Taylor CB Boise St. - A - I really like this guy, especially for the defense we run and we got a guy with a top of the second round talent in the bottom half so it was great value.

3 Dallas Thomas OT/OG Tennessee - C- - This is where we started to go wrong. Thomas will be lucky to make it as a RG in our scheme, and there were much better prospects at the position still ont he board. On film his feet look slow, and he doesn't block with a ton of power. I just don't see it with him, although it's possible he wins the job from Jerry, just because Jerry is not very good.

3 Will Davis CB Utah St. - D+ - Huh? Two bad picks in a row for me. Don't get me wrong, he may make the team as a dime CB? But that's his ceiling in my opinion. Why? Because he is one of the least physical CB's I have ever seen in the draft. The guy looks like he has no interest in tackling and has no press skills. He does have quick hips and solid coverage skills, so I can see him on the slot in obvious passing situations. You don't use 3rd round picks on that though.

4 Jelani Jenkins OLB Florida - B- - I like the player. I think it was a little bit of a reach on a guy that will most likely end up being a nickle OLB and special teams player, but he is good at what he does.

4 Dion Sims TE Michigan St. - A+ - Now we are getting back on track! This is a fantastic fit, and in all honestly, behind the top 2 TE's he may be my favorite, so this was a steal in that respect. He is a fantastic blocker. So good that he could probably put on weight and try his hand at LT. And he has ball skills as well.

5 Mike Gillislee RB Florida - A - This back is deceptively quick and likes to run north south in a hurry. He has great field vision and sets up his blocks well. I have always thought he would have a solid career in the NFL sharing the load with a premier back.

5 Caleb Sturgis K Florida - A - Carp had to go. We upgrade the position and will save a couple million on our cap. Sturgis is very accurate, and can hit the long ball. All around the best kicker in the draft and definitely a need.

7 Don Jones SS Arkansas St. - Mr irrelevant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just based on my outside observation, I would give them a "B" the day after the draft ended. I thought that the trade up to get Dion Jordan was an outstanding move. I don't know a lot about Taylor that we took in round 2, but if they believe that he can come in and produce in year 1, then I'm ok with that. The OT pick in Dallas Thomas seems ok for a versatile OT. I am not fond of the Will Davis selection. I thought that they didn't need to trade up to grab him and could have come up with a better selection at that point. I think that Jenkins and Sturgis were two great special teams selections that will have an impact on every game. The RB from UF will be a nice situational back to throw in the game and provide some depth. I would have liked them to grab another RB.

Overall, not a bad draft. Not too much to complain about.
FF Member #1000
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Dion Jordan - DE Oregon B- - Sure the potential is there and thats what I dislike - potential. I don't think he showed enough production in college to warrant the number three pick in the draft. I do like his physical make up and the ability to rush the passer. As far as coverage for the number of times he dropped back it was like a waste in terms of impact.

2.) Jamar Taylor - CB Boise State A- Excellent pick. In every mock I did there was no way I had him going to us in round two the latest I projected was at 36. He has every tool you look for in a cornerback. He will probably start from day one.

3.) Dallas Thomas - OT Tennessee B I do like him as Tackle. I think the move over to guard didn't help his development. My best case scenario is still signing Eric Winston and moving Dallas into the starting spot eventually. I wasn't a fan of this pick, but its almost as if the NFL has a rule that Miami must have a player with the last name Thomas or face a hefty fine.

4.) Will Davis - CB Utah State C Not so much the player that gets the low score, its what we gave up to go back into round 3 to get him. On my board he was ranked at 141. I went to sleep before this pick thinking we were going to clean up on day three, clearly that didn't happen. I do like him and in a few scenarios had us taking him as the second CB selected.

5.) Jelani Jenkins - OLB Florida C The trend continues. The theme for 2013 could be "Draft Players With Injuries. Two years ago I would have guessed this kid to be a first round pick. However the production and injuries only clouded what to expect. He will definitely be a high risk/high reward.

6.) Dion Sims - TE Michigan State C- Bill Parcells loves this pick. He Has the classic TE build. As such he will put up classic TE numbers. Unfortunately its 2013 and the league is a passing game where your TE's are seam threats. We added a blocker for those third and short situations.

7.) Mike Gillislee - RB Florida C - The only thing saving him from a D grade is I have him being our KR/PR. I have watched too many Florida games not to come away unimpressed.

8.) Caleb Sturgis - K Florida B - Would have graded him an A if taken later, but when your drafting a kicker in round 5 that speaks volumes.

9.) Don Jones - SS Arkansas State - B+ One of my sleepers, his all around ability will give the defense options to use him anywhere in the secondary.

Overall my grade would be C+, I felt we relied too much on potential, took risks too early. We had many options and then failed to utilize them. This should have been the year Jeff Ireland stepped up in the draft to the level of the Ravens and 49ers. Its almost as if he wants to take that big step but then hesitates, turns around and heads back to familiar grounds. I just have that feeling when we look back on the this draft we going to say " I coulda had sprinkles on my ice cream cone". My favorite move is actually UDFA Jasper Collins

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dallas Thomas pick was a terrible pick IMO.

The trade down and then back up, and then the pick of Davis was just head scratching to me.

I liked every other pick.......but for those reasons I give it a C.
dolphan9954

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
The Dallas Thomas pick was a terrible pick IMO.

The trade down and then back up, and then the pick of Davis was just head scratching to me.

I liked every other pick.......but for those reasons I give it a C.

Dallas Thomas might be my favorite pick in the draft after really watching him play.

The offense has been handcuffed with bad OG play, now you can slide Incognito to RG and put Thomas at LG and have a pretty solid tandem. Watch Thomas pull, he is quick and gets to the spot on time. The Dolphins haven't been able to open up the running game due to lack of pulling ability outside of Pouncey.

Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig

Go Canes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: