Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Undrafted Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
Forge wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
I don't think we plan to use Okoye as a DE at all, but a fullback? It is a hell of a lot easier to develop technique for fullback than it is for DE or DT. We have in the past used Demarcus Dobbs, Sopoaga, Tukalufu, Kilgore. Okoye has some experience running with a rugby ball (they hold it so awkwardly), he would be faster and bigger than any player Harbs has had before. I really do think he makes the 53 man roster. Bruce Miller better stay on your toes.

I know what you mean, but I feel like that would be a bit of a waste; Miller is basically a probowl fullback already to me. I think he's that good and it's only a matter of time before he gets that recognition. While it may be harder to develop him into someone on the defensive line, it also represents higher value to the team in a long term perspective I think. To me there's no reason to try him at fullback when you basically only need one and we already have one of the best ones in the nfl.

We were good for 3-5 plays a game from the super Jumbo package and those are the situations I am talking about. Miller is good but he isn't physically superior to everyone he is going up against like Okoye would be. He still is a long shot but If he wanted to make an impact soon his best chance is in those jumbo packages

Oh, if that's all we are talking about, then i would absolutely agree. Curious, anyone know about Okoye's speed? one of the things that always bugged me when we put in those bigger guys was that they (and the offensive line) weren't getting a great push; I always thought that was because the guys we used (soap, etc), just lacked a great initial burst off the line offensively or defensively. The concept was sound, but I think you really want to put someone in there that is big and strong like that, but has a very good initial step/explosion.

A big +1. I think our "jumbo pacckage" is pretty much a waste. The theory is that those big guys can drive guys off the line. But in practice all it does it bunch up several tons of beef at the los and there are rarely many holes to run through. Even the lbs and dbs come crashing in since they hae little ersponsibiity to cover receivers.

I think it's time to just give up on the jumbo.

Give up on it or mix in more stuff. I've always been a fan of spreading things out at the goal line. It's the complete opposite of what the jumbo does and it clears out the middle. With a guy like Kap, it puts immense stress on the defense.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Ronnie's Pinky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyLeesAunt wrote:
I think the Okoye pick up is the reason we didn't choose Hunt, which is who a lot of people had us choosing in either of the 1st 2 rounds. He is a similar prospect with more upside given his young age (only 21 v Hunt who is 26 in a few months) and his physical ability and drive.

I think Tank Carradine is the reason we didn't take Hunt in the 2nd, though who knows how the team actually had Hunt rated on our board. My guess is that they liked him, though, which is why they were willing to risk losing Carradine with the trade-down. Just spec, but I would imagine they were looking at both men there and liked Carradine better, but would have taken Hunt had Tank been gone by that point.

Okoye is certainly an interesting signing. Getting him in to work with Jim Tomsula is exciting, because Tomsula is an outstanding coach and there is no question about this guy's athletic ability, intelligence and drive. I really doubt he's anything more than a PS player in 2013, but he certainly seems to pick up skills quickly, so we shall see. I really like that the FO continues to swing for the fences with guys who are extremely gifted athletically, and trusts in the coaching staff's ability to mold them into good NFL players. Who knows...Okoye could turn out to be the best player from this year's rookie class, or he could be nothing more than a footnote in 49ers history.

It is refreshing to see that San Francisco is again a place where players want to play, reminiscent of the good old days under Eddie D where everybody and their sister wanted to wear the Red and Gold because we ran the classiest and best-managed organization in the league. Okoye is a very bright man who could be studying at Oxford right now if he'd wanted to, and I imagine he could have signed with any team. The fact that he chose San Francisco in spite of the roster and the odds against him playing anytime soon suggests to me that we hit him with a really good sales pitch, and that he was impressed by the quality of the men who are running this organization - which doesn't surprise me, as I am impressed by them, as well.
49ersfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers reached an agreement with UDFA RB DJ Harper as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tcYbMg6v3fQ

Looks pretty good. Possibly another RB for what is fast becoming the most stacked RB corps in the league.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an updated list.. I had not seen this Morris addition till now..

http://www.footballnation.com/content/2013-undrafted-free-agents-san-francisco-49ers/22565/

Quote:
2013 San Francisco 49ers Undrafted Rookies:

FB Alex Debniak (Stanford)

DL Lawrence Okoye (British discus thrower)

QB/TE MarQueis Gray (Minnesota)

WR Chuck Jacobs (Utah State)

OT Luke Marquardt (Azusa Pacific)

OG Patrick Omameh (Michigan)

OC Sherman Carter (Tennessee State)

CB Darryl Morris (Texas State)

LS Kevin McDermott (UCLA)

DT Mike Purcell (Wyoming)

RB DJ Harper (Boise State)

Quote:
Pro Day Results for Morris:
Dates: 03/26/13
Height: 5094
Weight: 186
40 Yrd Dash: 4.33
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.48
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.22
3-Cone Drill: 6.82

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m63JDi5PKI

impressive... I doubt we have the room for him, but he can battle that 7th rd corner for a spot on the PS. looks like he could develop into a nice NCB.

___
49ersfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised we didn't sign a K in UDFA. Have any K's even signed as a UDFA? It feels like there's Sturgis and Hopkins who were drafted and thats it.
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Forge wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
Forge wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
I don't think we plan to use Okoye as a DE at all, but a fullback? It is a hell of a lot easier to develop technique for fullback than it is for DE or DT. We have in the past used Demarcus Dobbs, Sopoaga, Tukalufu, Kilgore. Okoye has some experience running with a rugby ball (they hold it so awkwardly), he would be faster and bigger than any player Harbs has had before. I really do think he makes the 53 man roster. Bruce Miller better stay on your toes.

I know what you mean, but I feel like that would be a bit of a waste; Miller is basically a probowl fullback already to me. I think he's that good and it's only a matter of time before he gets that recognition. While it may be harder to develop him into someone on the defensive line, it also represents higher value to the team in a long term perspective I think. To me there's no reason to try him at fullback when you basically only need one and we already have one of the best ones in the nfl.

We were good for 3-5 plays a game from the super Jumbo package and those are the situations I am talking about. Miller is good but he isn't physically superior to everyone he is going up against like Okoye would be. He still is a long shot but If he wanted to make an impact soon his best chance is in those jumbo packages

Oh, if that's all we are talking about, then i would absolutely agree. Curious, anyone know about Okoye's speed? one of the things that always bugged me when we put in those bigger guys was that they (and the offensive line) weren't getting a great push; I always thought that was because the guys we used (soap, etc), just lacked a great initial burst off the line offensively or defensively. The concept was sound, but I think you really want to put someone in there that is big and strong like that, but has a very good initial step/explosion.

A big +1. I think our "jumbo pacckage" is pretty much a waste. The theory is that those big guys can drive guys off the line. But in practice all it does it bunch up several tons of beef at the los and there are rarely many holes to run through. Even the lbs and dbs come crashing in since they hae little ersponsibiity to cover receivers.

I think it's time to just give up on the jumbo.

Give up on it or mix in more stuff. I've always been a fan of spreading things out at the goal line. It's the complete opposite of what the jumbo does and it clears out the middle. With a guy like Kap, it puts immense stress on the defense.

What do any of us really know about football theory. But this just makes so much sense. Spread guys out wide and every one of them will take a defender with him. Plus a S or two might have to play a step deeper and hold back a split second extra to see if it's a run or pass. Seems to me that's just as effective as practically telling them were going to run and just expect we're strong enough to win at the LOS even though they know a run is coming.

Last edited by big9erfan on Wed May 01, 2013 4:45 am; edited 2 times in total
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Looks like an updated list.. I had not seen this Morris addition till now..

http://www.footballnation.com/content/2013-undrafted-free-agents-san-francisco-49ers/22565/

Quote:
2013 San Francisco 49ers Undrafted Rookies:

FB Alex Debniak (Stanford)

DL Lawrence Okoye (British discus thrower)

QB/TE MarQueis Gray (Minnesota)

WR Chuck Jacobs (Utah State)

OT Luke Marquardt (Azusa Pacific)

OG Patrick Omameh (Michigan)

OC Sherman Carter (Tennessee State)

CB Darryl Morris (Texas State)

LS Kevin McDermott (UCLA)

DT Mike Purcell (Wyoming)

RB DJ Harper (Boise State)

Quote:
Pro Day Results for Morris:
Dates: 03/26/13
Height: 5094
Weight: 186
40 Yrd Dash: 4.33
20 Yrd Dash: 2.53
10 Yrd Dash: 1.48
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 14
Vertical Jump: 36 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.22
3-Cone Drill: 6.82

impressive... I doubt we have the room for him, but he can battle that 7th rd corner for a spot on the PS. looks like he could develop into a nice NCB.

Can't teach speed, but maybe we can teach him enough technique to go with his speed to turn him into a roster candidate

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a fade to staley out of the jumbo.. hes arguably the most athletic olineman in the league, and if he could slip out while that giant pile builds up he'd be wide open

-kiltman

Uncle Buck wrote:
I'd rather have Tebow than any other QB in the NFL besides Rodgers, and I may even take him over Rodgers due to the difference in age.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie's Pinky wrote:
AndyLeesAunt wrote:
I think the Okoye pick up is the reason we didn't choose Hunt, which is who a lot of people had us choosing in either of the 1st 2 rounds. He is a similar prospect with more upside given his young age (only 21 v Hunt who is 26 in a few months) and his physical ability and drive.

I think Tank Carradine is the reason we didn't take Hunt in the 2nd, though who knows how the team actually had Hunt rated on our board. My guess is that they liked him, though, which is why they were willing to risk losing Carradine with the trade-down. Just spec, but I would imagine they were looking at both men there and liked Carradine better, but would have taken Hunt had Tank been gone by that point.

Okoye is certainly an interesting signing. Getting him in to work with Jim Tomsula is exciting, because Tomsula is an outstanding coach and there is no question about this guy's athletic ability, intelligence and drive. I really doubt he's anything more than a PS player in 2013, but he certainly seems to pick up skills quickly, so we shall see. I really like that the FO continues to swing for the fences with guys who are extremely gifted athletically, and trusts in the coaching staff's ability to mold them into good NFL players. Who knows...Okoye could turn out to be the best player from this year's rookie class, or he could be nothing more than a footnote in 49ers history.

It is refreshing to see that San Francisco is again a place where players want to play, reminiscent of the good old days under Eddie D where everybody and their sister wanted to wear the Red and Gold because we ran the classiest and best-managed organization in the league. Okoye is a very bright man who could be studying at Oxford right now if he'd wanted to, and I imagine he could have signed with any team. The fact that he chose San Francisco in spite of the roster and the odds against him playing anytime soon suggests to me that we hit him with a really good sales pitch, and that he was impressed by the quality of the men who are running this organization - which doesn't surprise me, as I am impressed by them, as well.

Could even be that Errtz was in the mix and if lasted but Tank didn't that we might have been happy with him and then looked for a DE.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldie wrote:

Can't teach speed, but maybe we can teach him enough technique to go with his speed to turn him into a roster candidate

Watching that link yesterday, I came away impressed. Kid plays the ball and tackles like a 6' 2" corner. Looked like he would be an elite STs gunner also. I wouldn't bet against him just yet.

___
Forge

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
oldie wrote:

Watching that link yesterday, I came away impressed. Kid plays the ball and tackles like a 6' 2" corner. Looked like he would be an elite STs gunner also. I wouldn't bet against him just yet.

Plus, our punt return game is still a giant question and a total mess. with that kind of speed, if he can be a good special team gunner and return punts, he'd have some definite value to us.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
CloudKicker

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
As if London needed more reason to love us when we go there.

Surprisingly you're right. I just got back from London and the 49ers are definitely one of the most popular NFL teams over there if not the most popular along with the Giants

Props to Peppers90 on the sig

Point Pacific. TTKA
rudyZ

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CloudKicker wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
As if London needed more reason to love us when we go there.

Surprisingly you're right. I just got back from London and the 49ers are definitely one of the most popular NFL teams over there if not the most popular along with the Giants

I was there for the niner/broncos game, and I don't remember seeing a single broncos fan. Londoners love the niners and hate the cowboys. That's all that matters.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from UDFA corner Darryl Morris

http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/content/bartu-morris-ink-nfl-deals

Quote:
“I just want to make the team first,” Morris said. “Then everything will sort itself out.” Morris took a while to decide on his future, but settled on the 49ers once he took a look at their roster. “They wanted me a whole lot and they have a lot of older cornerbacks,” Morris said. “They want to get some young talent in there. If it’s not my year to be a starter, I can still learn from some really good guys.”

Nothing else of interest in the link... not that this is terribly interesting either.

___
49ersfan2152

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Purcell is a potentiel PS guy for me. I like him alot an think he is some one with good potentiel at DE.

Dont sleep on DJ Harper eathier. Ran a 4.45 at Boise pro day. only 5'9 205 but is strong.

Heres some DJ Harper highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcYbMg6v3fQ

gridiorngreat thnk you for the sig

Favorite Teams
Redsox, 49ers, Celtics, Uconn BB, Bruins, LSU FB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: